House votes to overturn gun-locks

Captain Ray

Post by Captain Ray »

House votes to overturn mandatory gun locks

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:15pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives voted on Wednesday to overturn a recently enacted law requiring safety trigger locks on all hand guns sold in the United States.

The Republican-controlled House handed a victory to opponents of gun control by a vote of 230-191.

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, a Colorado Republican, argued that the added cost of the trigger locks is passed on to gun owners and that they "do not stop accidental shootings."

Last fall, President George W. Bush signed legislation giving gun makers broad protections from civil lawsuits, but that law contained the mandatory trigger lock provision.

The amendment overturning the requirement for trigger locks was attached to a larger law enforcement spending bill for next year that has not yet been considered by the Senate.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

----------------------------

Reuters

I am not sure how "big" a victory this is. The idea of gun-locks has never really bothered me.. I do not however, think they should be mandatory. I have six handguns ranging in caliber from .22lr to .45 ACP... each gun that I own (that I bought new) came with a trigger lock.. or in the case of the snub nosed .38, it has an internal lock. None of the locks are being used.. well.. except for one of the cable type locks.. I use it as a bicycle lock.. it's kind of cool because it's bright yellow, and says "Springfield Armory" on it.

I do use trigger locks on my rifles though. With the exception of the Mossy 835.. which is primarily a home defense weapon.. it's 24" barrel, extended tubular magazine, and ghost ring sights make it very well suited for that purpose. It wouldn't make much sense to have a trigger lock on that.. if I ever need it, it needs to be ready to go.

The Glenfield, Mod. 12, 10/22, and Marlin 336w.. these rifles are all for sporting purposes, and I have no real need for quick access to them.

Anyway.. I think a person should be able to use a gun-lock if they think it's necessary.. I just don't think that the government ought to be requiring the sale of a device that is almost universally thrown in the garbage as soon as you get the gun home.

Raymond
valerie

Post by valerie »

I think mandatory gun locks were sort of an attempt at pacifying

anti-gun people... "See, we've made them safer" when in reality, they

do little towards that goal.

People who are safe with their guns will be safe regardless. People

who aren't.... won't.

It's been a few years since my last gun purchase, I didn't get a trigger

lock at that time. But I did have to pass a basic firearms safety

course, and one of the questions was what to tell children to do

when they see a gun. Stop. Don't touch. Leave the Area. Tell an adult.

I seriously doubt that would have changed just because of the use of

trigger locks.

:yh_flag :yh_flag :yh_flag :yh_flag
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Jives

Post by Jives »

Yet another step by the Republicans to make the world more dangerous. Sheesh! Wasn't the war on Iraq enough for them? What's next? Lifting the ban on assault rifles?

I used to own guns, I don't anymore. I found they made life more dangerous and complicated, not safer and less complicated. I believe BR is learning that lesson right now as well.:cool:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh, the dilemmas that humanity is faced with.

I dont know how man kind can go on.

what a complex world we live in.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

captain ray...my husband is also a gun owner and I think he shares the same feelings you have. That they are good, but should not be mandatory.

At my request, when he moved in, he got a gun safe for them, plus they are in a locked closet. But that was mainly because we sometimes have children in and out here. He had no problem with that at all.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Jives wrote: I believe BR is learning that lesson right now as well.:cool:

You are the lowest of the low.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

Jives wrote: Yet another step by the Republicans to make the world more dangerous. Sheesh! Wasn't the war on Iraq enough for them? What's next? Lifting the ban on assault rifles?

I used to own guns, I don't anymore. I found they made life more dangerous and complicated, not safer and less complicated. I believe BR is learning that lesson right now as well.:cool:

wow. that's an extraordinarily hurtful thing to say.

kick them when they're down, that's your philosophy?
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

valerie wrote: You are the lowest of the low.
Well, you're not going to get a whole lot of argument from me there, Val. That was an incredibly insensitive thing to say, but then again, Jives is a pretty insensitive person, now isn't he?

I can't possibly be hurt any more than I already have been, so rude, hurtful comments by an idiot sure aren't going to add to my grief.

Fact of the matter is, my stance on guns has not changed one single bit. So, Jives, whatever "lesson" you think this has taught me....you're wrong. But of course, I do not expect you to come back in here and apologize for being an ass. In fact, I hope you don't. Continue to prove to the people here what a piece of crap you are.

As for the topic itself, I gotta go with "an item that gets tossed as soon as the gun gets home." My guns are for home protection, and sport shooting. No need to have them locked up and detrimental to me if they are and I get broken into, especially being home alone now.

Yep, I'm down....I'm certainly not out.

Thanks guys. :-4
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Clancy, you're a gem. I did in fact see the idiot's thoughtless little comment, and if you read my reply right above yours, you'll see how much it was capable of hurting me. I don't give people that kind of power. Especially known liars.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Post by valerie »

Clancy, I only have four smilies, so I'll hafta do it this way:

:yh_clap :yh_clap X 1 Bazillion (Or whatever humongous number you want!!)

:-4 :-4 (Ditto above!!)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

BR and others, I side with you. I was very interested in following what I thought would be an interesting discussion of the topic, as brought up by Captain Ray.

Before I married Rick, I did not have a gun, nor had I ever even shot a "real" gun..outside of a friends BB gun when I was a kid.

I feel bad that this tread was caused to go in a totally different direction.

Captain Ray, as the founder of this thread, I hope you can bring it back around to the original topic. I am interested in the discussion of that!!
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Marie5656 wrote: I feel bad that this tread was caused to go in a totally different direction.

Well, we all know whom we have to thank for that, now don't we?? :yh_loser

(That little "loser" dude is NOT for you, Marie)

But we do need to get this back on track, and not let these tiresome little hiccups get in the way of a good topic for conversation.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Post by valerie »

May I ask, Marie, how you felt about guns? When you met/fell in love

with a man who had them?

You sound like you guys keep safe with yours. Especially if there is

even a remote possibility that kids would be around...
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Captain Ray

Post by Captain Ray »

Badly timed remarks aside...

My point about the gun-locks is that there are some circumstances where you might like to have one.. but the government mandating them is kind of like a regressive tax on the poor.

If you think about it.. You run out and pay a $1,000 for an H&K, or multiples of $1,000 for a 1911.. the cost for the trigger lock is the same as for an inexpensive plinker or a smaller caliber SD gun. So the guy with the big bucks to spend wastes very little money for the gun-lock that he will never use.. where the poor guy who just wants to target shoot .22lr or needs a gun to protect himself pays a much higher percentage for the gun-lock he is never going to use.

And who makes these gun-locks? As far as I know.. Springfield, Kimber, or Glock don't have a "gun-lock Mfg." division. I wonder if there is a gun-lock lobby that influences law-makers to make gun companies buy these things... Do you think the guys of at "Masterlock" are on the phone to Diane Feinstien and Harry Ried?

I was just thinkin'...

Raymond
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

How much exactly are the gun locks??

Does a gun lock cost so much that it would cause such an uproar?
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

K.Snyder wrote: How much exactly are the gun locks??

Does a gun lock cost so much that it would cause such a uproar?

Having never bothered to look at let alone buy a gun lock, I have no idea the cost. But I think it's more the damn legislation that is causing an uproar. They would like to take our guns, if they could, but they can't so they're trying to mandate how we keep them in our own homes. 'Scuse me but, **** that.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

BabyRider wrote: Having never bothered to look at let alone buy a gun lock, I have no idea the cost. But I think it's more the damn legislation that is causing an uproar. They would like to take our guns, if they could, but they can't so they're trying to mandate how we keep them in our own homes. 'Scuse me but, **** that.

My logic is, if the gun locks dont cost an "arm and a leg", then why are people willing to go to such lengths to ban something that would seem to be a reasonable safety precaution?

I mean you dont take away from a bridge just because you dont need the extra strength......its there, might as well keep it sturdy. My thinking of it.
valerie

Post by valerie »

KS, lots of places give them to you for free. You can walk into the

police dept. in my little town and get them. So cost would not be

a factor in that case.

You don't add a lot of weight to a bridge, either. Which in an extreme

instance would take away its' strength.

:)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Captain Ray

Post by Captain Ray »

I bought a trigger lock for my Winchester Mod. 12 shotgun. I wanted it because it is a rifle (shotgun actually, but you know what I meant...) that I use almost exclusively for trap shooting.. occasionally hunting water foul. Anyway.. the rifle is meant for sporting purpose, and when not being used for that purpose I like it being secured in my gun cabinet... but I digress..

The lock cost about $10.00 or so.. it wasn't really a prohibitive expense.. but it was an expense.. one that I CHOSE to spend my money on.

Now, if you go out and by a new handgun, or rifle for that matter, there will be included a gun-lock device of some kind. It has to cost some money to make those locks, and that cost is being passed on to the consumer.. an expense for a device that the purchaser most likely will not use, and does not want.

I think the real angle of the proponents of gun-locks is to work their idea into REQUIRING gun-locks to be used.. eventually searching your home to make sure you are using them, so that they can grab your guns! (I read somewhere that they actually do this in Australia.. but I don't know for sure.)

Like I said.. if you have a specific need for a gun-lock.. you should probably pick one up.. I just don't like it being mandated.

Raymond
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Captain Ray wrote: Like I said.. if you have a specific need for a gun-lock.. you should probably pick one up.. I just don't like it being mandated.

Raymond
And that's the whole point right there, it being mandated. You can't tell me I'm allowed to own guns and then tell me how I'm allowed to keep them.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

valerie wrote: May I ask, Marie, how you felt about guns? When you met/fell in love

with a man who had them?

Valerie, too be honest I am not sure I had a strong opinion one way or another, before getting together with Rick. I mean, I have had guns around me before, my dad and brother both hunted for sport.

I believe in having the legal right to posess a gun for sport or protection, so long as the person owning it has enough brains to keep it safely put away when it is in the home.

The gun lock thing....they probably should not be mandated, I guess, but as long as they are reasonably accessable to all who want them and choose to use them.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Captain Ray wrote: [...]

Like I said.. if you have a specific need for a gun-lock.. you should probably pick one up.. I just don't like it being mandated.

RaymondI'm with you, Ray. Sure, it's a great idea, and parents would be stupid not to use one. But the mandate ..... :yh_frustr
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

Does your kid know how to use a gun? Does he know how to handle it properly? Maybe if parents who had guns in their homes stressed the importance of how to handle them with their child, that might help. We KNEW BETTER than to touch my dad's gun.

Liek everything else, this falls on the parents. Its their responsibility to teach their children about guns. Right?

HBIC
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

As a child, my old-man use to keep his rifles in their closet that we could get to very easily. He also kept shells in his top drawer(to be honest I really dont know if the shells went to the rifles in his closet or not). We didnt touch them with an exception to maybe once or twice. When we did, it was just to look at them, but as far as playing with them we really never had the desire to. We knew what they were for, and we generally didnt play too much make believe in our house. When we played, we played sports. Then when we werent playing......we played sports.....get the picture?

Maybe thats why all of us were so good at sports...:guitarist :cool:
Captain Ray

Post by Captain Ray »

DesignerGal wrote: Does your kid know how to use a gun? Does he know how to handle it properly? Maybe if parents who had guns in their homes stressed the importance of how to handle them with their child, that might help. We KNEW BETTER than to touch my dad's gun.

Liek everything else, this falls on the parents. Its their responsibility to teach their children about guns. Right?

My kid does...

But that's my kid.. I don't know about everyone elses..

Ryamond
Captain Ray

Post by Captain Ray »

And of course.. I don't want to forget william.. he's into the guns that make a really LOUD BANG!! LOL

Heres some of one of our trap shooting adventures.. and him with the Glenfield...

Good times!!

Raymond
Jives

Post by Jives »

BabyRider wrote: Well, you're not going to get a whole lot of argument from me there, Val. That was an incredibly insensitive thing to say, but then again, Jives is a pretty insensitive person, now isn't he?

That, from the person that consistently tells everyone "It's my opinion and I don't care how you feel." ROFL. You really crack me up, BR.

I was merely pointing out that guns seem to make people's lives worse...in every case and in every way. Your story comes to mind, but I could name dozens more that I know personally.

From my own experience, guns never help the situation and that's the truth.:cool:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Jives wrote: That, from the person that consistently tells everyone "It's my opinion and I don't care how you feel." ROFL. You really crack me up, BR.

I was merely pointing out that guns seem to make people's lives worse...in every case and in every way. Your story comes to mind, but I could name dozens more that I know personally.

From my own experience, guns never help the situation and that's the truth.:cool:
Way to let it drop, dude.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

:o Jives wrote: That, from the person that consistently tells everyone "It's my opinion and I don't care how you feel." ROFL. You really crack me up, BR.

Wow, you're an idiot. If it weren't for my husband's gun, there would be 3 dead people right now as opposed to one crack dealer. One of them being my husband. The crack dealer was trying to kill them, and got killed himself for his troubles, so don't tell me that guns never help the situation, at least my husband is still alive.

Also, you boring, lying, half-witted jackass, my opinions are very rarely aimed with malice at another person, and I still don't care what you think. Why not stay where you're wanted, and believed, instead of here where the people with a modicum of intelligence see through your bullshit? Just go away.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Clancy wrote: Obviously you have no goodwill for, BR's plight now.

.....unlike before when you were groveling for attention.
I've got the lying piece of crap's number now, Clancy. He's a snake, that one. I hope he trips on his own forked tongue and falls on both his faces.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Post by valerie »

Jives wrote: and that's the truth.:cool:

You are a fine one to be saying anything about TRUTH. (The

preceding statement is sarcasm, of course.)

However you feel about guns and gun control, to say ANYTHING about

another FG member's situation is just out and out DESPICABLE.

Why do you do it, j-low? Scratch that, I don't care. You have big big

problems that you need help with. We have enough manure in the

garden to suit all of our needs, and grow some really FINE flowers,

we don't need you spreading this.

Off to bump a thread to shove in your face what it feels like, regardless

of how brave BR is being.

You are one cold-hearted...

And since you enjoy the smilies soooo much, here's a couple for ya:

:D :rolleyes: :p
Tamsen's Dogster Page

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Val, that was fantastic!! You're right, J-Low wouldn't know the truth if it came up and bit him on his lying ass!! I must be slipping to have missed that one! :yh_rotfl
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

valerie wrote: You are one cold-hearted...
Need a hand with that one, Val? The rest of that sentence is: lying, twisted, arrogant, son of a bitch.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Post by valerie »

BabyRider wrote: Need a hand with that one, Val? The rest of that sentence is: lying, twisted, arrogant, son of a bitch.

:yh_youkid :yh_worshp :yh_worshp :yh_clap

Thank you, mah dear...
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Fusil

Post by Fusil »

I hate to bring in technicalities,but on a number of firearms 'gun-locks' just don't work.

The arms can still be fired with the lock firmly and correctly in place.

Fusil.
Fusil

Post by Fusil »

Interesting but doesn't alter the fact that 'gun-locks' don't work 100%.

In the Sultan of Jaipur's Arms collection there are some 14 muzzle loading big game rifles which have locks, with attached keys on leather thongs, built into their firing mechanisms. The gun locks have 'gun-locks' :-2

For the general interest of our American friends, here in NSW we are allowed to keep our guns locked in hardwood boxes.

Trouble is there is no definiton of hardwood. Balsa is a hardwood but it is also very soft:wah:

and locks must be, by law, solid metal ???????
the highlander

Post by the highlander »

reason i'm for it is because... what if you have a toddler

and finds it, i heard on cnn a teen shot another because he was gay

what is this world coming too, that why gun locks should be on guns

and locked away
Fusil

Post by Fusil »

Well and good, but still gun locks do not work on all guns and if the 'toddler' is big enough and savvy enough to get by all the other constraints such as the locked storage cabinet, the locked ammo box and then also knows how to work the gun mechanism, then he/she isn't going to be fooled for long by a so called 'gun lock'.

This applies even more so to teenagers, do you think that a teenager who known the intricacies of computers, as most seem to, would be fooled by a simple mechanism?

Mechanical devices cannot and should not be substitutes for parental responsibility.

Return to “Gun Control”