Crochet, anyone?

Discuss knitting, embroidery, crocheting, and other types of creative needlework.
MiwSher

Crochet, anyone?

Post by MiwSher »

Are there any other crocheters out there? That is my main craft-type hobby. I also knit a little (would like to learn more) and dabble in painting on whiteware.

I am about to start crocheting a baby afghan for my nephew and his wife's first child due in March. Just finished 7 (or was it 8?) afghans so I'm a little spent and need to take a wee break before tackling anything fine like baby yarn.

MiwSher
Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe ;)
A Karenina

Crochet, anyone?

Post by A Karenina »

I don't do a lot of crochet. I've made a few baby items, but I lose track of where I am when I crochet. I knit a lot, though.

Do you have a picture you can post of your afghans? I bet they are beautiful!
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
MiwSher

Crochet, anyone?

Post by MiwSher »

I don't have any pictures to post yet but I'm hoping to soon. I'm in the process of building a website for myself. Gee... you think I'll be online too much? Naahhh! :D
Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe ;)
koan

Crochet, anyone?

Post by koan »

I just started trying to crochet recently. It goes a lot faster than knitting. Haven't mastered it...not even close.

I took up knitting when I was trying to quit smoking a long while ago. Being a rebel and an impatient one, I made up my own patterns and only made baby clothes because they are smaller and...quicker. Now I kinda figure I'll stick to hats. Still like to rebel and make up my own designs though. Even if they don't always work out. Guess I haven't mastered this either, but I sure have fun.
Bill Sikes

Crochet, anyone?

Post by Bill Sikes »

MiwSher wrote: Are there any other crocheters out there?

Ah yes, the soft know of willow on leather on a Summer day......
valerie

Crochet, anyone?

Post by valerie »

Me, ME!! I do, and have for 30 some years. Mostly baby blankets.

Coupla years ago, I made one for the baby of a baby I made one for

27 years ago. That was a really nice feeling, I can tell you.

It is such a peaceful thing to do.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

A Karenina

Crochet, anyone?

Post by A Karenina »

koan wrote: I just started trying to crochet recently. It goes a lot faster than knitting. Haven't mastered it...not even close.

I took up knitting when I was trying to quit smoking a long while ago. Being a rebel and an impatient one, I made up my own patterns and only made baby clothes because they are smaller and...quicker. Now I kinda figure I'll stick to hats. Still like to rebel and make up my own designs though. Even if they don't always work out. Guess I haven't mastered this either, but I sure have fun.Koan :wah: I'm visualizing Speed Knitter buried in yarn and calculus equations!

There are some very good books on how to design your own knits. Check out Patternworks for a start. Also, there is an affordable computerized design program as well.

I get really lost in the smoothness of quality wood needles, the softness of good yarn, and the colors of whatever I'm creating. If I finished my projects quickly, I'd just spend more money buying more projects! LOL.

I have two projects going right now. One is being blocked so I can sew it together (below), and I'm finishing up the last sleeve on the other one.

Attached files
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
koan

Crochet, anyone?

Post by koan »

That definately sounds like me!

I'm visualizing Speed Knitter buried in yarn and calculus equations!

:wah: :wah:

Have you got the hat to go with the sweater? It looks great.
Popper

Crochet, anyone?

Post by Popper »

I'm glad I found this thread. I taught myself how to crochet when I was about 10 from this really old book (like in the 40s or something). I stopped for a long time and want to start again. I've mainly made small things like nanny squares.

But does anybody have a nice pattern for baby booties? Thanks in advance. :D
hapigirl

Crochet, anyone?

Post by hapigirl »

hello,

Just found Forum Garden today :)

I have crocheted for over 50 years, but have been taking a little rest lately.

I have made lots of baby afghans and things.

Will probably check out some patterns like this again since there is a great grandchild on the way.

Nice to meet you all.

Take care.:)
Valerie100

Crochet, anyone?

Post by Valerie100 »

This Valerie crochets, too. I see there are two crocheting Valeries. My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was nine years old. She died when I was eleven, but her crochet skill stuck with me. My grandmother used to make all sorts of things for family, friends and to sell. Every night she would sit in front of the television and get her crocheting out. (She tried to teach me to knit, but I put that down and forgot.) I have crocheted afghans, pillows, pot holders, tissue box covers, toilet paper covers, and pocketbooks. I'm so glad I have this old-world skill that she gave me at such a young age!

Return to “Needlecrafts”