Mythology

Thoughts and discussions about New Age, Astrology, Gnosticism, Goddesses, Healing Arts, Humanism, Magic, Mysticism, Wicca, and more.
chonsigirl

Mythology

Post by chonsigirl »

Greek and Roman mythology, Egyptian, Mayan.............oh, they are very interesting!
chonsigirl

Mythology

Post by chonsigirl »

Athena.....................

And what is yours, Pinky?

Attached files
chonsigirl

Mythology

Post by chonsigirl »

Then it should be very interesting to see.

I found the text on the web.......................

"My lords, if you would hear a high tale of love and of death, here is that of Tristan and Queen Iseult; how to their full joy, but to their sorrow also, they loved each other, and how at last they died of that love together upon one day; she by him and he by her."

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14244/14 ... 4244-h.htm
koan

Mythology

Post by koan »

I missed this while I was away. I love Joseph Campbell for all the work he did in this field.

As for favourites, I always felt sorry for Medusa.

The best version of Arthur is Mysts of Avalon.
koan

Mythology

Post by koan »

Medusa in Patriarchal Greece

Patriarchy began in the bronze and iron age of first millennia Greece. In this mind the world is no longer born of a sacred mother deity but from a supreme father.

Soon the holy image of the Gorgon Medusa as an ancient symbol of female power and wisdom became totally unacceptable. By the 6th c. BC her rites were disrupted, her sanctuaries invaded, the sacred groves were cut down, her priestesses were violated and her image defiled. Her images, (as well as women), are mastered and domesticated. Her mask was used on elaborate Etruscan lantern fixtures and stoves, probably for her relation to alchemical fire. Although the mask was widely used by country-folk, her female wisdom, natural forces, powers of creativity, destruction and regeneration were demonized and made evil. She was made into a horrid, ugly monster, (most monsters were female or born of the Earth). Her most popular image became that of her defeat in the Athenian myth of Perseus.

source
spot

Mythology

Post by spot »

Pinky wrote: I love the tales of Odin from the Norse stuff.

Other than that, Tristan and Isuelt - I hear it's being made into a film!If you get a chance to see this production on stage Pinky, it's a perfect evening - I saw it at the Bristol Old Vic and it worked beautifully.

http://www.kneehigh.co.uk/html/tristan.html
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Mythology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: Anyone else into mythology and the old tales?

I love the Arthurian stuff, Celtic and Norse mythology in particular.

Anybody else interested in this?

Then presumably you've read Mary Stuart's Crystal Cave series - an excelent re-telling.

One of my favourates is Gilgamesh the King - I have an excelent re-telling by Robert Silverberg
Bryn Mawr

Mythology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: Thanks for the replies guys!

That production looks wonderful, Spot. If I'm ever in Bristol I'll go see it!

Koan, I absolutely loved 'Mists of Avalon', have you read 'The Keys to Avavlon?'

That's an interesting read...

Bryn, I haven't read Crystal Caves yet, but heard much about it, so I will have to get a copy in the near future.

I found the later books in the series, like Priestess of Avalon, were quite hard going - the start was magnificent though.

Did you also try her Firebrand about the Trojan war?
Bryn Mawr

Mythology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: No, I haven't, but I'd have to say Priestess of Avavlon was one of my faves...

Hmm. It try again then and see if I can get into it. I normally enjoy MZB but couldn't get started for some reason.
Sheryl

Mythology

Post by Sheryl »

Ok this is going to sound very ditzy. But what books are out there telling the stories of mythology. Most of those that I've read have been Shakespeare (Hamlet) and Beauwolf. I have hard time finding books with mythology based characters. I mainly just find reference books. Could someone kindly point me in the right direction? Please?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Sheryl

Mythology

Post by Sheryl »

Thanks Pinky, will have to take a looksie and see if public library has them or not. :-6
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Bryn Mawr

Mythology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: The ones we've mainly been discussing are by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and focused on the Arthurian legends. Bloomin' good read they are too!

And what happened to Mary Stuart and her whose name I cannot remember at this time of night?

Return to “Modern Ancient Paths”