U.S. Roman Catholic Bishops Vote to Join Broad Christian Alliance

Discuss the Christian Faith.
CVX

Post by CVX »

By RACHEL ZOLL, AP Religion Writer

WASHINGTON -- The nation's Roman Catholic bishops voted Wednesday to join a new alliance that would be the broadest Christian group ever formed in the United States, linking American evangelicals and Catholics in an ecumenical organization for the first time.

Separately, church leaders also authorized a third-round of annual audits of all U.S. dioceses to determine whether they are complying with the bishops' policies on preventing clergy sex abuse.

The bishops also agreed to launch a multiyear initiative that would aim to strengthen marriage by, among other projects, raising awareness about church teaching on the importance of the sacrament and provide resources for church programs on preventing divorce.

The votes came as the bishops' worked to wrap up business at their fall meeting, which ends Thursday.

The alliance, called Christian Churches Together in the U.S.A., is set to kick off next year. It would also include mainline Protestants, Orthodox Christians, and black and other minority churches, though with about 67 million members the U.S. Catholic Church would be the largest denomination.

"It's not to create some kind of megabody or megachurch," said Bishop Stephen Blaire, chairman of the ecumenical committee for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. "It is a forum for participation so that we can pray together, grow in our understanding together and witness together our faith."

It is considered a biblical imperative for Christians to find ways to build unity among their different denominations. Pope John Paul II has made such efforts a priority of his pontificate.

The bishops approved the proposal 151-73. Blaire, of Stockton, Calif., called Wednesday's vote "important and historic."

The Catholic Church has ongoing ecumenical dialogues with many denominations. However, some evangelical and Pentecostal churches have resisted participating. In the floor debate Wednesday, New York Cardinal Edward Egan noted those churches were worried that such talks risked "watering down their faith."

In fact, the evangelical Southern Baptist Convention, which has more than 16 million members and is the largest Protestant denomination in the country, has so far not agreed to fully join Christian Churches Together.

Blaire said that among the evangelicals who have agreed to participate are the Salvation Army and the International Pentecostal Holiness Church.

On the abuse issue, the bishops voted for a third round of audits next year and authorized the collection of data from every diocese on new abuse claims, the resolution of ongoing cases and related costs.

This year's audit results are due to be released in February. Archbishop Harry Flynn, chairman of the bishops' Ad Hoc Committee on Sex Abuse, said auditors so far have found that most dioceses are in compliance with reform efforts.

However, he said some dioceses still have failed to conduct background checks on clergy and diocesan workers, and to enact programs meant to teach staff to identify abuse and help prevent it. He did not say which dioceses were out of compliance.

"This lack of progress in these dioceses and eparchies is a matter of serious concern for all of us," Flynn said. "It's necessary for all of us to maintain our vigilance."

The audits are part of the sweeping reforms bishops adopted in June 2002 at the height of the abuse crisis. That policy is now undergoing review.

___

On the Net:

U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: http://www.usccb.org

Attached files
koan

Post by koan »

It is considered a biblical imperative for Christians to find ways to build unity among their different denominations. Pope John Paul II has made such efforts a priority of his pontificate.

Pope Pontificates Priorities would have made a wonderful headline. I love alliteration.

Despite the potential scariness of a megareligion in a country that is being led by a man who used religion in his politics, I think this move towards unification could be the best thing the church has done in a long time. If they can stop judging the people who share their own religion maybe they will relax their judgement of those who do not.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Koan :-6

I have been a member of a church community made up of RC.,Anglicans, Lutherals, and United Church folks. We worshipped together and had communion togeter. It was a wonderful expression of the Kingdom of God on Earth.

However the RCs got a new Bishop who unlike the former Bishop does not support us and ordered us to cease apparently on orders from Rome. The former Bishop was totally in favour of our arrangement and incourage it.

I wish the bishops luck. Now all they have to do is convince the college of Cardinals of the validity of their approach.

We were so saddened by the new bishops attitude and the local priest that many of the Roman Catholics have ceased to support the RC church and we have formed an ecumenical committee

Shalom

Ted :-6
koan

Post by koan »

Hi, Ted :-6

This could be good news for your church then?

I hope it is. A move towards tolerance and love as preached by Christ.
gmc

Post by gmc »

How long do you before they start fighting amongst themselves about who is in charge?
Ted

Post by Ted »

gmc :-6

A good question. It is my prayer that this will not happen but time will tell.

Shalom

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly. Rome Rules Ok
Ted

Post by Ted »

Capt :-6

Rome may rule in a few places but not in my church. That would be a frosty Friday in hell.

Shalom

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

:wah: Shalom Brother :wah:
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Ted wrote: I have been a member of a church community made up of RC.,Anglicans, Lutherals, and United Church folks. We worshipped together and had communion togeter. It was a wonderful expression of the Kingdom of God on Earth.

I once chatted to an RC priest after a church event. I asked him why it was acceptable in the CofE for an RC to take communion, but not the other way

around. He mumbled some rather offensive crap about convergence with

the true church. With views like that....
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by bill sikes

I once chatted to an RC priest after a church event. I asked him why it was acceptable in the CofE for an RC to take communion, but not the other way

around. He mumbled some rather offensive crap about convergence with

the true church. With views like that....

Speaking of views have youever met one of the wee frees?
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

gmc wrote: Speaking of views have youever met one of the wee frees?

Eh?
gmc

Post by gmc »

An offshoot from the free church of scotland who formed their own kirk brcause they felt they were to papist in thier worship. Extreme austere puritans in other words, who respect tye sabbath but would make sure everybody else does as well. they recently excommunucated one of their number for going to a funeral of a friend who happened to be roman catholic. Your priest is a paragon of tolerance in comparisn. Actually unless you have come across them it's pretty meaningless, never mind
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: posted by bill sikes

Speaking of views have youever met one of the wee frees? Many times :wah:
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Roman Catholism :-6 and the Muslim :-6 community in Europe must join togerher for Peace and Interfellowship, says Cardinal Ratziner in Rome.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Cardinal Ratzinger Fan Club

www.ratzingerfanclub.com

Happy Land :driving:
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

capt_buzzard wrote: Cardinal Ratzinger Fan Club

www.ratzingerfanclub.com

Happy Land :driving: They make good bedfellows:D