One path

Discuss the Christian Faith.
koan

One path

Post by koan »

There are a lot of people who claim to have found the "one path" to salvation. My feeling is that if there was only one path there would be only one person.
persephone

One path

Post by persephone »

If each person who says they have found "one path" is talking on an individual level then there are many paths and many people.

They just don't know that what they should be saying is "I found my one path" to salvation. :)
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
koan

One path

Post by koan »

It is well established that any two people in the same room witnessing the same thing walk away with two different sets of perceptions. In our little metaphor, if two people walked the same path, their experience of that path would still be separate and unique. Is that path still "one"? Someone might find a shortcut. Doesn't make them a cheater maybe they had to cut through some prickle bushes to get there but thought it was worth the scratches. Someone else might like to take the scenic route because they are not in a hurry. If they all end up in the same place, which path they take is a moot point. Which path is better is only a matter of opinion and, dare I say, pride.
Ted

One path

Post by Ted »

koan :-6

I've always said that we must each choose our own path and now you ask this question! You just want me to think that is all. LOL Actuallly a good question. In that I am a pluralist and in that I believe God has a thousand names I suppose there must be more then one path.

And yet is what appears to be more then one path really more then one or does your analogy to witnessing and event hold true.

If the key to the kingdom is: to love one another and God, to feed the hungry etc then are we talking one path or more then one path?

I guess ultimately it appears to man as many paths that lead to the same place, but to the Divine perhaps it appears as only one path.

???????????

Shalom

Ted :-6
koan

One path

Post by koan »

Ted wrote: koan :-6

I've always said that we must each choose our own path and now you ask this question! You just want me to think that is all. LOL Actuallly a good question. In that I am a pluralist and in that I believe God has a thousand names I suppose there must be more then one path.

And yet is what appears to be more then one path really more then one or does your analogy to witnessing and event hold true.

If the key to the kingdom is: to love one another and God, to feed the hungry etc then are we talking one path or more then one path?

I guess ultimately it appears to man as many paths that lead to the same place, but to the Divine perhaps it appears as only one path.

???????????

Shalom

This crosses a bit into "Why?". Is to have love and compassion the only goal here for us humans? Is it desirable to find our way back to God without letting things affect us? How would this serve a purpose? To learn to love despite negative influences teaches us what? To have compassion teaches us what?

It appears to some people that one path means their way since they have acheived something desirable and rewarding to them. It is the common human perception that many paths can not be the same path. I would like to think, also, that to the Divine it appears to be only one. If we agree, it is important to encourage this Divine "vision".
Ted

One path

Post by Ted »

Accorinding to men like Hans Kuhn (RC theologian) God's real desire is what is best for humanity. "On Being a Christian".

In Borg's book "The Heart of Christianity" and in Sallie McFague's book "Metaphorical Theology" it is stressed that Jesus central metaphor or message if you will was the establishment of the Kingdom of God here and now on earth to be carried on into the future when at some time we will join with all the saints of the past in heaven. The Kingdom of God is a place where there is no domination system, there are no cultural classes, the hungry are fed the naked are clothed etc. It is a totally egalitarian kingdom in which God is the ruler..

The answer to "WHY" is simple it is God's desire to have what is best for human kind now and in the hereafter.

Is it important to encourage this Divine vision. If we are true lovers of God (by whatever name) and our fellow man then it is of the utmost importance to bringing about peace on earth and good will among all men/women.

That is why I class myself as a servant of my Risen Lord but that is because I am a Christian although a pluralist as well.

Shalom

Suresh Gupta

One path

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: There are a lot of people who claim to have found the "one path" to salvation. My feeling is that if there was only one path there would be only one person.

I seem to be late in joining this thread.

Who are these people who claim to have found 'one path' to salvation, and what is this path? Can you elaborate on this?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
koan

One path

Post by koan »

An example of a "one path" finder is a born again Christian I met a few days ago who insisted that no matter what I believed, if I did not worship Jesus as my saviour I would not be saved. So, to this man, if I believed all the teachings of Christ as universal truths but did not name Jesus as my personal saviour and attend worship of him in a Church then I was unjust. I put this under Christianity because the most common source of this my way or the hellway comes from this religion. I am sure that other religions in the world also believe they are on the only right path, they are less vocal.

I recently had to swear on a bible for court purposes. Not being a true Christian, I swore on the bible out of respect for the faith of those who offered it as representing "truth". The defendent, a very religious Christian, swore on the bible. I told the truth and, I can verify by my witness, she lied her face off.

I won the decision in my favour, despite her lies. So she blasphemed for naught. And between the two of us, which is more likely to be saved? Who's to say?

Yes, there are many hypocrates. That is not my point.

There is only one way to God and that is through me.

What does that mean? He did not say it is through the Church. Does he make himself the gatekeeper of God's kingdom or is there deeper meaning.

That is the question here.
Ted

One path

Post by Ted »

Unfortunately there are many "born again Christians" who do feel the same way. Fortunately there are many others who do not.

Most modern scholars are now in agreement that the words attributed to Jesus by John in his gospel were not said by Jesus. They are words that John placed in his mouth. This was not done to intentionally deceive or lie it was done becasue it was the developing tradition of the church at the time. John was reflecting what a lot of Christians at the time had come to believe about this Jesus.

It really was in respons to the profound experiences that Christians had after the Easter Event. Whatever actually took place at that time is really unknown except that it was so profound as to affect the whole course of history.

Jesus was concerned about the outcasts, the down trodden, the abusive dominations system etc of his day. His primary message was the arrival of the kingdom of God which was to begin during his time and continue into the future until some later date when all who worked towards that kingdom would enter into a banquet with all the saints in Heaven. It was to be a totally egalitarian society with God as the ruler.

The kingdom of God is open to all to love God and do what is right. What is right?

Love God and your fellow man, care for the widows and orphans, clothe the naked, feed the hungry, care for the dying, fight for an egalitarian society with God's will as the rule. God's will according to many theologians is what is best for man.

It is not about belief, dogma or doctrine. It is about establishing a loving transforming relationship with God of if a Christian the God reflected in the person of Jesus as the Christ. It is not exclusive but indeed inclusive. The grace and love of God is unconditional.

Is such a kingdom on earth possible. I think it is in small sections of society. I believe the Christian Community in which I worship, live and play is part of that kingdom. We do as a group support those items mentioned above. We have two foster children, we support overseas missions that are trying to get decent social conditions established, we support our local recycling organization, we assist at the food bank. Our national church is making every effort to make ammends for the horror that was the residential schools.

This church is also broad enough in spectrum that my approach to the faith is totally acceptable. In fact I was taught by some of their theologians and priests. In my case it is the Anglican Church of Canada. Yes we have our struggles but they always work out in the end.

Shalom

koan

One path

Post by koan »

As I read your response, I couldn't help but think of the thread 'Is government fullfilling its purpose'.

The comments of

Jesus was concerned about the outcasts, the down trodden, the abusive dominations system etc of his day. His primary message was the arrival of the kingdom of God which was to begin during his time and continue into the future until some later date when all who worked towards that kingdom would enter into a banquet with all the saints in Heaven. It was to be a totally egalitarian society with God as the ruler.

The kingdom of God is open to all to love God and do what is right. What is right?
Could have political implications as to how Jesus felt the world should be governed or not governed.

Is such a kingdom on earth possible. I think it is in small sections of society.

I think such a kingdom is possible. If all paths are respected and seen as one path, if the human pride and desire for power is not encouraged, then perhaps people could live in peaceful, small communities without the need for an "official" government to give the commands instead of God. Does government try to play God?

I decided to ask this here instead of there because I wish to hear your answer without the volley of "don't bring religion into it" comments.
Ted

One path

Post by Ted »

Yes Jesus was indeed very political in many ways. One cannot be a Christian without being somewhat political. Although I am opposed to too much religious influence in Government. I certainly, persoanlly, would not want to see fudamentalist/literalists pushing their views on every one. We must each choose our own path, as per an earlier post.

The promotion of the kingdom of God here on earth does not need entail dogma or doctrine just the formation of a truly just and egalitarian state with a view towards God's desire for what is best for all human beings.

In this respect multinationals can either be positive or negative. For the most part at present I see them as negative because they are more concerned about the bottom line rather then the people.

All governments must learn to put people first.

Shalom

Suresh Gupta

One path

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: An example of a "one path" finder is a born again Christian I met a few days ago who insisted that no matter what I believed, if I did not worship Jesus as my saviour I would not be saved. .......... I am sure that other religions in the world also believe they are on the only right path, they are less vocal......there are many hypocrates. ......

Hinduism does not believe in "one path", rather it says that different people follow different paths to reach God.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Ted

One path

Post by Ted »

lila :-6

Amen. Good post.

Shalom

capt_buzzard

One path

Post by capt_buzzard »

I would agree with some of what you say here. :-6 We don't need minister's,priests, Iman's nor Rabbi's to relate to God, as you understand Him/Her to be.
Suresh Gupta

One path

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Yes, why bring somebody else between you and your God when you can directly communicate with Him!
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Suresh Gupta

One path

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Dear Lilafran,

No one can find fault with your reasoning.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

LottomagicZ4941

One path

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life. There is no other way to the Father but by me. Hopefully I have the versus right.

There is only one path and it is Jesus.

One day it may be illegal to speak this truth. Just as the Christians were jailed in Bibical days.
gmc

One path

Post by gmc »

posted by lottomagicZ4941

Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life. There is no other way to the Father but by me. Hopefully I have the versus right.

One day it may be illegal to speak this truth. Just as the Christians were jailed in Bibical days.

If you'll forgive a comment from a non christian.

Christians may have been jailed in the past but then many christians are not averse to jailing those who disagree with them either.

In using the path analogy I would extend it a bit in that the guy with the map, the compass and the loud opinion may not know where he is on the map, if he does he may not know how to read his way properly, He may not know how to use the compass properly and if he fails to look at it constanly will lose his way and if you are daft enough to trust him and haven't learned to use your own map and compass you can walk off a cliff by following blindly and without knowledge yourself.
capt_buzzard

One path

Post by capt_buzzard »

Suresh Gupta wrote: Hinduism does not believe in "one path", rather it says that different people follow different paths to reach God. Correct Suresh Gupta
Suresh Gupta

One path

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Dear gmc,

I am inclined to agree with you.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Suresh Gupta

One path

Post by Suresh Gupta »

LottomagicZ4941 wrote: Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life. There is no other way to the Father but by me. Hopefully I have the versus right.

Did he really say that? If yes, then what may be the reason behind it? Can you elaborate on it?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

One path

Post by koan »

gmc wrote: posted by lottomagicZ4941

If you'll forgive a comment from a non christian.

Christians may have been jailed in the past but then many christians are not averse to jailing those who disagree with them either.

In using the path analogy I would extend it a bit in that the guy with the map, the compass and the loud opinion may not know where he is on the map, if he does he may not know how to read his way properly, He may not know how to use the compass properly and if he fails to look at it constanly will lose his way and if you are daft enough to trust him and haven't learned to use your own map and compass you can walk off a cliff by following blindly and without knowledge yourself.

Very nicely said. I do agree with the analogy. Some Christians as any other followers of a religion may know how to read their compass as well but many do not. Then many folk don't even know what a compass is let alone why they should read it.
Suresh Gupta

One path

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Very nicely said. I do agree with the analogy. Some Christians as any other followers of a religion may know how to read their compass as well but many do not. Then many folk don't even know what a compass is let alone why they should read it.

....And in their ignorance practice hate and become a liabillity for the society and threat to other people.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: It is well established that any two people in the same room witnessing the same thing walk away with two different sets of perceptions. In our little metaphor, if two people walked the same path, their experience of that path would still be separate and unique. Is that path still "one"? Someone might find a shortcut. Doesn't make them a cheater maybe they had to cut through some prickle bushes to get there but thought it was worth the scratches. Someone else might like to take the scenic route because they are not in a hurry. If they all end up in the same place, which path they take is a moot point. Which path is better is only a matter of opinion and, dare I say, pride.

Yes, but what if the guy(ess) in charge says that no one can have any heavenly fun until the slowpokes show up?
kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

Ted wrote: koan :-6 I guess ultimately it appears to man as many paths that lead to the same place, but to the Divine perhaps it appears as only one path.

???????????

Shalom

I agree. It's all one path. We just don't realize that there aren't really any spaces between them. We make them up as we go along on our solitary journeys.
kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote:

There is only one way to God and that is through me.

What does that mean? He did not say it is through the Church. Does he make himself the gatekeeper of God's kingdom or is there deeper meaning.

That is the question here.

Didn't He say, "and upon this rock (Peter) I will build my Church?

However, if He didn't mean that by following his example and works was the way to Heaven, then I am up the creek without a paddle.
koan

One path

Post by koan »

Yes, but what if the guy(ess) in charge says that no one can have any heavenly fun until the slowpokes show up?

Then you could see how many times you can get through the obstacle course before the others get there.

Didn't He say, "and upon this rock (Peter) I will build my Church?

However, if He didn't mean that by following his example and works was the way to Heaven, then I am up the creek without a paddle.

It seems unwise to build a church upon a person. Maybe a rock is just a rock. Maybe it was the rock he actually stood upon when he said those words.

God gives us the creek we must build our own canoe and fashion our own paddles.
kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: Then you could see how many times you can get through the obstacle course before the others get there.

Are you saying that there is some modicum of truth to the reincarnation aspect of religion?

It seems unwise to build a church upon a person. Maybe a rock is just a rock. Maybe it was the rock he actually stood upon when he said those words.

That seems to be the basis of the debate of the church theologians. Looking for the rock where he said it is going to built will be a real dilemma to the archaeologists. The other point in the debate is that Peter means 'rock', hence, he is the foundation of the church.

God gives us the creek we must build our own canoe and fashion our own paddles.

Does it have to be a canoe?
koan

One path

Post by koan »

kensloft wrote: Are you saying that there is some modicum of truth to the reincarnation aspect of religion?

Absolutely. What do you think my signature is all about?

That seems to be the basis of the debate of the church theologians. Looking for the rock where he said it is going to built will be a real dilemma to the archaeologists. The other point in the debate is that Peter means 'rock', hence, he is the foundation of the church.

How convenient for him.

Does it have to be a canoe?

Yes. It does. It's my analogy, I make the rules. :wah:
kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: Yes. It does. It's my analogy, I make the rules. :wah:

Yah, but what if there are no birch trees around? Can't we make them out of hides like St. Brendan the discoverer of Greenland and North America? We could call it a fat canoe, couldn't we? Aw-w-w-w-w! Please? :-2
koan

One path

Post by koan »

kensloft wrote: Yah, but what if there are no birch trees around? Can't we make them out of hides like St. Brendan the discoverer of Greenland and North America? We could call it a fat canoe, couldn't we? Aw-w-w-w-w! Please? :-2

As long as it's a canoe there will be no spankings.
kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: As long as it's a canoe there will be no spankings.

Gotcha!
koan

One path

Post by koan »

kensloft wrote: Gotcha!

I think I got you.
kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I think I got you.

Why do I feel glad that I've been got?
koan

One path

Post by koan »

kensloft wrote: Why do I feel glad that I've been got?
Because I'm good at it.
Ted

One path

Post by Ted »

Suresh Gupta :-6

"No one comes to the father but by me." This is a quote from the Gospel of John. First of all Jesus and Biblical scholars do not believe that any of the words in John attributed to Jesus actually come from Him. This was not seen a deception etc but midrash and metaphor. Midrash was a style of ancient Hebrew writing and interpretation.

John was reflecting on what the early church had come to believe about this Jesus. What he wrote is in part history remembered and metaphor historicized.

Even at that John probable reflects a truth but one that is not well understood or at least hasn't been. It is possible that what it really means, and this is my take on it, that the word way means path. The path that Jesus followed is the way. This path is found in most major faiths around the world and is reflected in many Biblical verses: Jeremiah says that God judges the heart, Matt 22 gives us the Great Commandment to love God and our fellow man that on these two "hang all the law the the prophets". In Acts 10 we read that all who love God and do what is right are acceptable to Him. In Matt 25 we read that those who fed the hungry, clothed the naked, cared for the sick at etc are welcomed into the Kingdom. None of these reflect the proviso that one "Believe only in JEsus as personal saviour". This particular aspect is simply far too narrow an interpretation based on the totality of the Bible..

Hope that answers your question.

Shalom

kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: Because I'm good at it.

Gotcha=You d'boss.
koan

One path

Post by koan »

kensloft wrote: Gotcha=You d'boss.

As long as you have that straight things may work out. :yh_giggle
Ted

One path

Post by Ted »

I must strongly disagree with lesley's interpretation of the Bible. The sacred writings are full of indications that her view is far to narrow and is considering only one small part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

In Jeremiah we read that God judges the heart thus considering not only actions but motive; In the Great commandment we read the we are to Love God and our neighbours as ourselves that "On these two hang all the law and the prophets". We also read in Matt 5 the beatitueds that clearly present another point of view without any provisos concerning saying "I accept Jesus as my Personal Saviour. In Matt 25 we read that those who fed the hungry, cared for the sick, clothed the naked are also accepted into the kingdom. No provisio's concerning "Accepting Jesus as personal saviour. In fact He makes it clear that there are those who did not even know they were worthy of the kingdom were accepted. Becasue they did these things to the poor and disadvanted they did it to Jesus which is tacit accepted of His way even though one may never have hear of him.

This fundamentalist/ literalitst approach was and is the heresey of the reformation and the Renaissance. The Bible was never meant to be taken litterally. It is midrash and metaphor with some kernels of history spread throughout.

Shaloim

koan

One path

Post by koan »

Ted ;)

I'm glad you disagree. Figured you would.
kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

lesley wrote: im actually we are told not to swear on anything..cos we cannot even turn one hair on our head from black to white...when i give evidence i always take the affirmation...although by doing that it suggests a person is otherwise untruthful.......yes there is a deeper meaning......He and the Father are one.....we have no other way back to God without His help....when Jesus rises from the dead what can there be left to fear in this life....He wasnt the first person to raise the dead in the bible

When Jesus rises from the dead? I think that one of the things that the Bible said was that He had risen from the dead. Isn't that what Easter is all about? You mean when He comes back to take over His kingdom don't you?

One of the worst things that could befall a Christian is to not know, ostensibly, what they are talking about because they mix things up and the unbeliever can trounce on the error to prove the perfection of their way over the Christian's.

The only thing that Koan proved was that Jesus didn't go out of His way to pick the liar over the truth teller. Probably broke the other woman's heart but she'll figure it out, eventually.
koan

One path

Post by koan »

Did I prove something???? Really?

Yeah....me
Paula

One path

Post by Paula »

Koan---you did, just listen. :confused:
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
koan

One path

Post by koan »

That is my weakness.

I used to talk to myself until I realized that I am a horrible listener. :wah:
Paula

One path

Post by Paula »

you are talkin to me, no more goose now, thats it...and put that damn saw away...
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
koan

One path

Post by koan »

No way!

Jesus built my chop saw.

It's a love affair, really.

Me...and my chop saw.
kensloft

One path

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: No way!

Jesus built my chop saw.

It's a love affair, really.

Me...and my chop saw.

Aha! Now you women are starting to figure out why us guys fall in love with our tools'n'toys.

Return to “Christianity”