Prescription Drugs

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Prescription Drugs

Post by cars »

Prescripoin Drugs cost those without Insurance plans in the USA a fortune! Some states like Illinois, & Wisconson are making it legal for their residents to be able to get Prescription Drugs from Canada, at greatly reduced prices. Ofcourse the USA FDA is opposed to this, saying that the Drugs may not be up to the high FDA quality standards. Anybody out there have any info on the Canadian Priscription Drugs, that can comment on the quality of them? :-3
Cars :)
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

cars wrote: Prescripoin Drugs cost those without Insurance plans in the USA a fortune! Some states like Illinois, & Wisconson are making it legal for their residents to be able to get Prescription Drugs from Canada, at greatly reduced prices. Ofcourse the USA FDA is opposed to this, saying that the Drugs may not be up to the high FDA quality standards. Anybody out there have any info on the Canadian Priscription Drugs, that can comment on the quality of them?

Dunno about Canadian ones, but I should've thought that drugs from there would be just as good as the ones from the U.S.A., or the U.K., or any European country, Japan, Australia, etc. etc. etc. If you know which drug you're after, a little Googling will show you what is what, or at least where to find out....

Last time I had to buy some medicine on prescription, I *think* it cost me £6.2.
A Karenina

Prescription Drugs

Post by A Karenina »

Health Canada oversees the safety of drugs, and is roughly the equivalent of the FDA. People visit Canada and buy over the counter medications every day. Prescription drugs are no different. Meaning, they're perfectly safe from everything I can find on the subject (as well as my sister's family, who lives in Toronto).

If you want to order from Canada, then it's a buyer beware market. There are internet sites that will happily rip you off.

So, please use a registered pharmacy for your medications. Check out

http://www.napra.org to get a list of authorized pharmacies to order from. Also, if you order from Canada, you will get medications in a sealed container, not a prescription bottle. That's ok - we all know the cold in Canada freezes the brain and makes them do weird things, like selling their milk in bags rather than cartons. LOL

Canadian medicines can never be FDA-approved because the FDA has no jurisdiction over them. If a pharmacy promises to sell you FDA-approved drugs, hang up the phone, and try another pharmacy.

Also, some American drug companies are refusing to ship medications to Canada (breaking contracts, btw) because they know Canada will sell them to Americans for less money. So if you're expecting Zoloft, for example, you probably won't get it, but you can buy the same medication from a different manufacturer (also Health Canada approved).

There is some rumor that Canadian medications are coming from other countries. This is probably true, but all imported medications are still under the Health Canada approval system.

I get into this stuff only because it's my job to do so. I work for a not-for-profit health insurance company. And, I pay $6 for a 90-day supply of my medication within the US (for thyroid hormone, which is always a cheap medicine).

Hope that helps!
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
cars

Prescription Drugs

Post by cars »

A Karenina wrote: Health Canada oversees the safety of drugs, and is roughly the equivalent of the FDA. People visit Canada and buy over the counter medications every day. Prescription drugs are no different. Meaning, they're perfectly safe from everything I can find on the subject (as well as my sister's family, who lives in Toronto).

If you want to order from Canada, then it's a buyer beware market. There are internet sites that will happily rip you off.

So, please use a registered pharmacy for your medications. Check out

http://www.napra.org to get a list of authorized pharmacies to order from. Also, if you order from Canada, you will get medications in a sealed container, not a prescription bottle. That's ok - we all know the cold in Canada freezes the brain and makes them do weird things, like selling their milk in bags rather than cartons. LOL

Canadian medicines can never be FDA-approved because the FDA has no jurisdiction over them. If a pharmacy promises to sell you FDA-approved drugs, hang up the phone, and try another pharmacy.

Also, some American drug companies are refusing to ship medications to Canada (breaking contracts, btw) because they know Canada will sell them to Americans for less money. So if you're expecting Zoloft, for example, you probably won't get it, but you can buy the same medication from a different manufacturer (also Health Canada approved).

There is some rumor that Canadian medications are coming from other countries. This is probably true, but all imported medications are still under the Health Canada approval system.

I get into this stuff only because it's my job to do so. I work for a not-for-profit health insurance company. And, I pay $6 for a 90-day supply of my medication within the US (for thyroid hormone, which is always a cheap medicine).

Hope that helps!

Hi Karenina, wow you sure did help a lot, you sure do know your stuff. I will not be leary any longer of buying prescription drugs from Canada. Thanks -Cars :)
Cars :)
A Karenina

Prescription Drugs

Post by A Karenina »

cars wrote: Hi Karenina, wow you sure did help a lot, you sure do know your stuff. I will not be leary any longer of buying prescription drugs from Canada. Thanks -Cars :)
Awwww, Cars! Sweet talk will get you everywhere! :D

It makes me feel good to know I've helped a bit. Thank you. Please let us know how it works out for you, ok?

Aristotle
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

A Karenina wrote: Also, if you order from Canada, you will get medications in a sealed container, not a prescription bottle.

What's a "prescription bottle" ? Do you mean to say that pills are counted out of

some big container into another bottle for the patient?

A Karenina wrote: I get into this stuff only because it's my job to do so. I work for a not-for-profit health insurance company. And, I pay $6 for a 90-day supply of my medication within the US (for thyroid hormone, which is always a cheap medicine).

Hm. I know someone who has a chronic thyroid condition, and she's taken

thyroxine, which appears to be the same as the stuff you take, since early

life. As it's a chronic conditon, I don't think she's charged. Do you have to

buy *all* prescribed drugs in the 'States?
A Karenina

Prescription Drugs

Post by A Karenina »

Bill Sikes wrote: What's a "prescription bottle" ? Do you mean to say that pills are counted out of

some big container into another bottle for the patient?
Yep! The pharmacies have huge bottles of medicines, and when they fill your prescription, they count out the exact number of pills you are allowed, place them into a smaller bottle, and label it. Your doctor's information, your information, the pharmaceutical company's information, the type of medication, the dosage, expiration date, and instructions are all on the label.

How is it done in the UK?

Bill Sikes wrote: Hm. I know someone who has a chronic thyroid condition, and she's taken

thyroxine, which appears to be the same as the stuff you take, since early

life. As it's a chronic conditon, I don't think she's charged. Do you have to

buy *all* prescribed drugs in the 'States?
Yes. We have no free medicines that I can think of. In a suburb of Chicago, the county used to provide free vaccines to pre-school children, but they ran out of money to do that. I don't know if they're charging now or not.

Everything is charged - from the visit to your doctor to vaccines to any type of medication whatsoever, and every test you have done is charged as well.

In a country that considers education to be a commodity, are we surprised that all medical care is sold as well? (sad smile)

I love the US (see how we have to add that every time we criticize?)...but, we really do need to focus on the important stuff for a while.

Aristotle
abbey

Prescription Drugs

Post by abbey »

Living in the uk it is impossible to buy certain medication over the counter, wether that's a good thing or not i'm not too sure.

To actually get an appointment for me to see my doc when i need one is a rarity for me, i normally have to wait 2-5 days as he's so busy & then have to pay an arm & a leg to get the prescription!!

When i go to Spain i just make sure i stock up on medication like anti-biotics/penicilin just in case i ever need them, at a third of the cost! which i can't understand as both countries are in Europe.

Of course there does have to be a downside to doing this, and that is a tendancy to take medication when you dont actually need it.
abbey

Prescription Drugs

Post by abbey »

Thanks Jack, no need to worry on that score, i go to spain quite often so always have regular supply, though i do advise friends to be careful as there is a danger of relying too much on your own diagnosis don't you think?
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

abbey wrote: To actually get an appointment for me to see my doc when i need one is a rarity for me, i normally have to wait 2-5 days as he's so busy & then have to pay an arm & a leg to get the prescription!!

Same for me. I wend quite a few years ago, and the doctor looked at my notes,

then at me, rather dubiously. He questioned:- "*Master* Bill Sikes???". Why do

you need to wait to see the Quack, IME you get an appointment on the day, if

you need it. What's the "arm and a leg" prescription charge? Last time I picked

up a prescription for someone, it was only £6.20 IIRC.

abbey wrote: When i go to Spain i just make sure i stock up on medication like anti-biotics/penicilin just in case i ever need them.

I do not think that this is *at all* a good idea, because...

abbey wrote: Of course there does have to be a downside to doing this, and that is a tendancy to take medication when you dont actually need it.

this sort of thing leads to the development of drug-resistant organisms, such

as the now-famous methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA).
abbey

Prescription Drugs

Post by abbey »

True Master Sykes it is only 6 quid odd for a scrip but if the doc is a little over zealous in his prescibing you can come away with 4 or 5 items & as i'm from oop north, every little helps!!

Gotta add, i do agree with you about the overtaking of anti-biotics & do only ever take them if my doc says i need em, just take my own instead.
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

abbey wrote: True Master Sykes it is only 6 quid odd for a scrip but if the doc is a little over zealous in his prescibing you can come away with 4 or 5 items

I wasn't aware that one had to pay the prescription charge for each item! That's

a bit rough. I've been told that it doesn't matter how many pills constitute an

item, though, and that tallies with my recent experience, where I had to have

several months worth of pills for something acquired abroad (NO! Not the

French disease!).

abbey wrote: & as i'm from oop north, every little helps!!

Oh, from up there. Nottingham? Erm.... "Hey up, lass!".
abbey

Prescription Drugs

Post by abbey »

No Bill, Lancashire lass & proud of it!! As for the meds, yes you are right in saying about the amount of tabs you get you do pay one price wether 10 or 100.

I do hope your.. er-erm.. problem cleared cleared up... :rolleyes:
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

abbey wrote: No Bill, Lancashire lass & proud of it!!

Aha! Scotland.

abbey wrote: I do hope your.. er-erm.. problem cleared cleared up...

It did. It really *wasn't* the Fr3nch disease. Neither, in case you were

wondering, was it rabies!
gmc

Prescription Drugs

Post by gmc »

Aha! Scotland. :-5 :-5 :-5 :-5

Actually I married a lancashire lass, apart from considering tripe and black puuding to be delicacies she is quite normal.
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

gmc wrote: :-5 :-5 :-5 :-5

Thank you, Sir.

gmc wrote: Actually I married a lancashire lass, apart from considering tripe and black puuding to be delicacies she is quite normal.

Black pudding is a delicacy, unless you're talking about that Irish stuff which

is mainly pearl barley and oatmeal. Proper stuff is great, but difficult to find,

partly, it must be said, because of the EeeeeW regulations and our zealous

interpretation of same.
gmc

Prescription Drugs

Post by gmc »

originally posted by bill sikes

Black pudding is a delicacy, unless you're talking about that Irish stuff which

is mainly pearl barley and oatmeal. Proper stuff is great, but difficult to find,

partly, it must be said, because of the EeeeeW regulations and our zealous

interpretation of same.

Wonder how many black pudding eaters will get bse?
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

gmc wrote: Wonder how many black pudding eaters will get bse?

Should contain blood, suet, oatmeal to bind.... a few herbs and spices.... that's

about it. Nothing which is a supposed cause of BSE, which should have finished

by now, anyway - in the UK, at least.
abbey

Prescription Drugs

Post by abbey »

UGH :eek: the thought of eating cows stomach lining (tripe) & black pudding (mainly pig blood) leaves me cold.

Lancashire lass i maybe, but i do like to think i have a modicum of taste...

I'd much rather stick to dripping butties.. :rolleyes:
A Karenina

Prescription Drugs

Post by A Karenina »

Ewwwwww!! And I thought my dad was gross for eating pickled pig's feet.

Well, that settles it. When I travel to Europe, I'm bringing my own food. :D

Aristotle
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

abbey wrote: UGH the thought of eating cows stomach lining (tripe)

There are various types of tripe, which are IMO an acquired teste (unless mixed with something else, in which case you might not know you're eating it).

abbey wrote: & black pudding (mainly pig blood) leaves me cold.

Black pudding is nice, though. It mixes with many things, apart from breakfast. Try: http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/reci ... p?RecID=24

abbey wrote: Lancashire lass i maybe, but i do like to think i have a modicum of taste...

Pork chops? Fried bacon? Ham? All these have blood in them. Beef Wellington?

Chili con carne? Cottage pie? Ditto. Leg of lamb? Shoulder of mutton? Blood.

abbey wrote: I'd much rather stick to dripping butties..

They're OK (bread 'n' scrape), much nicer with some well-done but not crispy chips in them as well. No "sauce".
abbey

Prescription Drugs

Post by abbey »

You certainly seem to know your stuff Master Sykes, actually i live 2 miles from Bury which is quite well known for its "famous" black puddings & my dad assures me that honeycomb tripe smothered in vinegar is a delicacy, i'll have to take his word on that one!

As for Kareninas dads eating habits, pickled pigs trotters Mm-Mm..... :lips:

Ps, only joking about the dripping butties x
Bill Sikes

Prescription Drugs

Post by Bill Sikes »

abbey wrote: my dad assures me that honeycomb tripe smothered in vinegar is a delicacy, i'll have to take his word on that one!

I *would* take his word for it. Groosh! I feel a little off-colour. I can't *stand*

vinegar (except in things where it doesn't notice - on chips? Yuck!).

abbey wrote: As for Kareninas dads eating habits, pickled pigs trotters Mm-Mm.....

Dunno about pickled... they're normally cooked slowly and wetly, if there's

such a word, until they take on a jelly-like consistency, and then.... excuse

me a minute....

abbey wrote: Ps, only joking about the dripping butties x

Oh! Well, you can have them, but you need good dripping, the sort with

meat juices/essence in that collects at the bottom of the roasting pan....

Return to “General Chit Chat”