Some skinny on court reporting

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Valerie100

Post by Valerie100 »

Well, I used to be a court reporter in PA, and a little in FL. I did that for 12 years. Everyone always thinks -- court reporting, wow, you must be earning so much money, blah, blah, blah. It is truly a lot of fluff!!!

Court reporting agencies seem to dole the good work out to reporters that have been there for a long time. Some have their favorites, and some prefer little and cute ones. The little and cute ones that can make their "clients" happy, if you know what I mean.

Court reporting is a lot of non-stop hard work. It literally can go around the clock. If you are sitting in court all day or even at a deposition, and you write 300 pages, and if the lawyers need the testimony tommorow, guess who's going to be up all night working -- and only at a page rate, which is doubled, but still...

On top of this, you are considered self-employed. You get no benefits and pay quarterly taxes. Sometimes the lawyers don't pay right, so you may have to wait months to see your money for their work. Work varies, and sometimes good work is not easy to find. Jobs cancel and you're running every which way -- with hundreds and hundreds of pages of testimony waiting to be put out. Then the insurance companies are giving the agencies a lot of work in bulk, but it's contract work -- which means a reduced rate for the reporter; meaning, the reporter is doing the work at a cut rate. Some reporters have scopists and typists, but that takes time to find someone reliable; and then you're putting more money out to pay someone. And not to mention, the court reporting equipment is so expensive.

I'm not court reporting anymore, and I'm glad. I feel like I gave 12 years of my life to the profession and don't have much to show for it. I've had to cancel many plans along the way and let down friends.

Temp agencies are different from court reporting agencies; although, they do assign jobs. I guess in that regard it's similar. And certain individuals at my place of work and other big mouths seem to feel that I have enough money, so that I don't need benefits or something. It's disgusting. My finances and my benefits are none of their business, first of all. There are just some reporters out there who like to talk and brag, put on a show about how much money they earn and how great it is. Court reporting schools will tell you that you can earn so much money -- boulderdash!!! The money jobs are there, but they're few and far between for most reporters -- unless of course, you own an agency and take all of the good work for yourself. Then there's real-time, which is the closed captioning stuff you see in courtrooms, on television or for the def students in colleges. A lot of money is there, if you can get the work. We're talking a tremendous amount of work, schooling and expense. For me, after working as a reporter for 12 years, I would have to re-learn how to write on the machine to make it real-time compatible. So many words in the English language can be written the same way on a steno machine, like, "your" and "you're." It's fine on the paper tape of the machine and in private edit, but if you're doing real-time, the lawyers are seeing everything you write on a computer on their table. Then if there are any names and unusual spellings, the reporter needs to get those beforehand to have everything pre-set into the machine to come up translated; otherwise, everything looks like gobbledegook to a person trying to read the text, unless you can read steno. Then lawyers and people talk on top of each other all of the time. Guess what? It is impossible to write two people at once, so someone's words are going to be missing from the text. Then, finally, if you have been writing all day, or are overtired and not having a good day, it reflects in your writing, which means, text can literally be missing out of the transcripts from natural human error. Stenography and closed captioning are not a complete science. It takes a lot of money for the equipment and a lot of training -- on top, of trying to get all of your other transcripts done, taking more assignments, family obligations and daily life stuff. You literally have no time for anything other than reporting. You can be a reporter and only take a job here and there, but agencies don't really like that because you're not there for their needs. It's seriously a lose-lose career. You lose your personal life, social life, family life -- everything gets backed up and jammed. Things get put on hold because you're trying to satisfy certain lawyers on certain cases to get their work to them. And then you will get a phone call from a more patient attorney who's looking for his transcript, which is something you took at a deposition two or three weeks earlier and haven't had time to get to it yet. Then you have to get that out to make sure that client doesn't get upset. Does this sound like a fun career path???
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

Thank you for that. My younger sister went to school to become a court reporter, but never followed through. Instead she works for a computer chip manufacturer in human resources, and has some potential for advancement. Her court reporting ambitions were thwarted by carpal tunnel syndrome.

Her husband is a court videographer, and bought the registry he worked for. He works enough to satisfy himself. Keeps his equipment top of the line and state of the art. Loves what he's doing. I envy the free time he has.
Look what the cat dragged in.
Valerie100

Post by Valerie100 »

That's so true, Diuretic. People talk over one another all of the time. It makes the job a whole lot worse. There are just so many little things that go into it, that people can't even imagine. If you stop and think that the court reporter is literally trying to get down every single word that comes out of a person's mouth, it is pretty incredible -- and quite impossible!

Oh, and Tele, I'm glad that I helped shed some light on things for your sister. Her carpal tunnel was a blessing in disguise.

They have machines now that are taking down people's words, but they are not as fast as reporters. One day, court reporters will be obsolete with the continual advancement of technology.
courtreporters

Post by courtreporters »

it's a lucrative career if you work hard at it with good money to be made, espesionally captioning for theater
Lon

Post by Lon »

I had a good friend in the 60's that was the size of and looked like the deceased movie actor Rock Hudson. He was a court reporter and looked funny sitting on that little chair with his knees together operating the machine. So prim and proper, didn't really fit his personality, but he made good money.
courtreporters

Post by courtreporters »

a kiwi huh ? i just moved to vegas from london.. but i am a brisbane boy (australia) at heart...
Lon

Post by Lon »

courtreporters;1105964 wrote: a kiwi huh ? i just moved to vegas from london.. but i am a brisbane boy (australia) at heart...
Z

Nope, not a Kiwi. Just a Yank here in NZ for a few months.
markb337

Post by markb337 »

I have been in the court reporting industry for some years now. I am a Miami court reporter. I really enjoy what i do and my team is passionate about our work. Though it really needs some heavy work but the outcome is always satisfying.
officialcourtreporting

Post by officialcourtreporting »

I know the original post is old, but it's still available to be read on the internet, so I wanted to comment:

“They have machines now that are taking down people's words, but they are not as fast as reporters. One day, court reporters will be obsolete with the continual advancement of technology.”

Are you kidding me? Court reporters that stay at the top of their game by achieving higher national certifications, continuously upgrade their software and hardware with the state-of-art technology available to us in the field, and who provide excellent real-time services will always have a very financially lucrative and rewarding career.

I hope you found something you love to do, as court reporting obviously was not for you. But please don’t throw those of us who stay at the top of our game under the bus.
Moe

Post by Moe »

I was a realtime stenographer for 16 years. In early 2012, I began to experience systematic blacklisting by all remote CART vendors across the country with no explanation. I have tons of emails from several vendors over the years, all of whom say "Sorry, we don't have any work this year. We wish you the best of luck." My last remote CART employer, GAYL HARDEMAN, fired me in January of 2012, saying, "I have to give your hours to two pregnant women."

Then, Gayl Hardeman gives me a recommendation to Phil Hyssong/ACS, and Jennifer Bonifilio. One would think that if you are given a recommendation by Gayl Hardeman that there would be no need to doubt that reporters' abilities, because after all, Hardeman had paid me for an entire summer, and then fall semester, of CART work, which included a VERY FAST high-school chemistry teacher who is thoroughly drunk on caffeine at 7:30 am EST (that's 4:30 am to me PST!)

So, if you feel like being fired for no reason, or if you think you will be at the top of a RIGGED SYSTEM, then by all means, be a court reporter...
Mark Reitz

Post by Mark Reitz »

There are many skinny court reporting company , But some are very good company who provides the best court reporters in the Florida.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thats funny! I too have a friend that is a court reporter who favors John Wayne!
larrydriver

Post by larrydriver »

Mark Reitz;1433570 wrote: There are many skinny court reporting company , But some are very good company who provides the best court reporters in the Florida.

Yeah,,, there are so many companies that include best court reporting providers like .

A court reporter is in charge of making a verbatim prepared transcript of court cases or depositions. In case of a stenographic court reporter, a stenotype machine is utilized to record shorthand in the spoken word at speeds up to 225 words per small.

Court reporters are then instructed to transcribe the content they've captured right written document, checking the text for accuracy or grammatical mistakes. They might also be asked to learn to read back records of testimony during a court proceeding when requested.
larrydriver

Post by larrydriver »

There is a lot of importance of court reporter in court. You can't compare it tape recorder. Court reporters plays other roles during a courtroom proceeding, as well. For example, they might do research regarding items entered into the court record or aid in other ways. The same types of technology are used for closed captioning of live television, for example. A court reporter may also help provide transcriptions for church services, public events, seminars, and other events. The advent of court reporting has proven extremely useful to the judiciary system.With a skilled court reporter at a court hearing, no word or gesture need ever be missed. The transcripts recorded by court recorders have proven invaluable to judges and attorneys alike, allowing them essentially relive the trial as it happened to better their understanding of it.

Return to “Work Employment”