Stark warning over climate change

pina

Post by pina »

I wonder how many people living in the UK would agree about the rise in temperature, I heard there was snow in Kent only last week. :wah:

chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well the temperature has been all over the scale lately where I live. It's really cold and miserable one day, then the next it's hot and sunny.

In regards to your question six. My view is that too many people today aren't concerned with what is going to happen in the distant future, but more with today. So for them why would they care about what how the Earth will be in several hundred years, because they won't be alive, and therefore will make no difference to them. If there were clear signs that huge dramatic events were going to occur in the next few years, then I'm sure more people would sit up and take notice of all these facts and figures, but until then why should they have to worry.

This is of course, a stupid attitude to take to life, but one that I believe is becoming more apparant with people know-a-days.
SlipStream

Post by SlipStream »

I've seen lot of changes over the last five years and am concerned about our world.
Sweet Tooth

Post by Sweet Tooth »

oh ya? then stop driving and everyone stop having sex and babies- maybe then we can all change the world:sneaky:
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

i'm far from convinced that climate change is a result of human pollution ,i saw a tv programme the other day these things happen every 10 000 years or so ,

what ever happen to the whole in the ozone layer we were spozed to all be fried alive by now
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

jimbo;625003 wrote: i'm far from convinced that climate change is a result of human pollution ,i saw a tv programme the other day these things happen every 10 000 years or so ,

what ever happen to the whole in the ozone layer we were spozed to all be fried alive by now
I'm with ya on this one jimbo but Idon't want to argue with the better typers over it.:D :cool:
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

YZGI;625008 wrote: I'm with ya on this one jimbo but Idon't want to argue with the better typers over it.:D :cool:

they fear us buddy the voice of unreason ,we win every time :wah: :wah:
Snidely Whiplash

Post by Snidely Whiplash »

A while back there was another warming period of about 3 degrees... It was during the cathedral era of Europe, one of the most prosperous times and when more art, sculpture, building, thinking & writing, improving, food production, reproduction, advancements, etc, etc, etc, than at any time previously...

Guess a 3 degree temp rise didn't do too much harm then?

Hysteria and fear, thats all this is... Ooooh, aaaahhh, save us our mighty governments, take our taxes and restrict our prosperity, and change the climate so we're all safe...

Yeah right.....? :-2
Snidely Whiplash

sixyearsleft;286112 wrote: "The world is likely to suffer a temperature rise of more than 3C, says the UK government's chief scientist, that would cause drought and famine and threaten millions of lives, said Professor David King,

Tony Blair wants a global consensus on stabilising greenhouse gas emissions, blamed for climate change. but the US refuses to cut emissions and those of India and China are rising.

The government report says a 3C rise would cause:

. A drop worldwide of between 20 and 400 million tonnes in cereal crops

. About 400 million more people at risk of hunger

. Between 1.2bn and 3bn more people at risk of water stress"

I wonder when the world will wake up, every new Road end every new Airport is another nail in Earths coffin,

what should be done?

It's fine and dandy for you to raise your concerns.....

But there are no studies anywhere from anyone saying anything can be done to change anything being reported by any politician or scientist that will change anything..??? The only reports, papers or studies say that perhaps in 50-60-80-100 years maybe if we all live on dirt floor mud walled huts or in caves, maybe we might slow the unsubstantiated warming trend a fraction of a degree, and it will cost the people of the world trillions and trillions of dollars, all for what amounts to NOTHING.... No noticible Change....

No matter what your view on global warming might be, to think that somehow the United nations or your own government can miraculously change the climate of the planet, is utter rubbish, these people cannot even deal with the simple tasks they have right now....

As for me, I've ordered some new swim trunks on Ebay, and will be enjoying the warm weather tomorrow, unless it's like last week, and is colder than normal...
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

"The world is likely to suffer a temperature rise of more than 3C, I wish it would hurry up, once again it is a cold weekend here and I would love about 3 more degrees.

says the UK government's chief scientist, that would cause drought and famine and threaten millions of lives. Why? drought and famine kills millions of lives already and we do very little about it, why would there suddenly be more? Where would these droughts and famines take place?

those of India and China are rising. and will continue to rise at a much higher rate as their economies continue to grow.

About 400 million more people at risk of hunger Why?.

Between 1.2bn and 3bn more people at risk of water stress" Why?

Humans aren't stupid, we have survived for millions of years through ice ages and many other disasters.

Worries about water? How much water is used washing cars each day?

Expecting water levels to rise? Stop buying beach front properties and stop developers from building houses in known flood zones.

Less Crops? Most prime farmland is being sold off for high prices housing developments anyway as it is. Farmers are paid not to grow foods to control prices on world markets.

At the end of the day we should be trying to do what is right anyway and try to reduce the mess we leave behind us in the world. Reducing polution levels should be done anyway, because it is the right thing to do for the world, not out of threats of doom and disaster.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

mikeinie;841981 wrote: "The world is likely to suffer a temperature rise of more than 3C, I wish it would hurry up, once again it is a cold weekend here and I would love about 3 more degrees.

That's a 3 degree Centigrade rise in the global average temperature. It would render large parts of the tropics uninhabitable by human and pretty much all major lifeforms.

says the UK government's chief scientist, that would cause drought and famine and threaten millions of lives. Why? drought and famine kills millions of lives already and we do very little about it, why would there suddenly be more? Where would these droughts and famines take place?

It would cause drought and famine as climate patterns change and things like La Nina events and monsoon failures happen more regularly, as well as extreme events such as hurricanes. We are already seeing this. Have you read about the failure of the rice harvest in SE Asia this year? It's already reflected in the price of rice in shops here. As the climate changes in areas they currently grow rice, those areas will become too hot or too dry to grow rice. What will they grow, and how will you handle the changeover if you can find a crop to change to?

those of India and China are rising. and will continue to rise at a much higher rate as their economies continue to grow.

Why does this comfort you?

Because their crops fail more and more often.

Because for example the glaciers feeding many of the world's major rivers such as the Ganges and the Indus are mainly glacier fed, and these glaciers are disappearing at an increasing rate. Add changing rainfall patterns and you have a recipe for disaster.

Humans aren't stupid, we have survived for millions of years through ice ages and many other disasters.

The changes you refer to occurred over tens of thousands or hunderds of thousands of years. If this was that sort of change no-one would be worried. It's the fact that these changes are predicted for less than a century that is scary because it lives little time for humans to adjust, and practically none for plant and animal species. Hence the predictions of the loss of around one third of all the world's species.

Expecting water levels to rise? Stop buying beach front properties and stop developers from building houses in known flood zones.

Bangladesh is a country that consists of a delta river mouth. It is already at sea level. A small rise in sea level will trigger the mass migration of tens or hundreds of millions of people.

Less Crops? Most prime farmland is being sold off for high prices housing developments anyway as it is. Farmers are paid not to grow foods to control prices on world markets.

You are referring to the EU. The places most affected will be Africa and SE Asia, which are least able to cope.

At the end of the day we should be trying to do what is right anyway and try to reduce the mess we leave behind us in the world. Reducing polution levels should be done anyway, because it is the right thing to do for the world, not out of threats of doom and disaster.

Agreed.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

"The world is likely to suffer a temperature rise of more than 3C, I wish it would hurry up, once again it is a cold weekend here and I would love about 3 more degrees.

That's a 3 degree Centigrade rise in the global average temperature. It would render large parts of the tropics uninhabitable by human and pretty much all major lifeforms. 80% of the worlds population lives in the nothern hemisphere

It would cause drought and famine as climate patterns change and things like La Nina events and monsoon failures happen more regularly, as well as extreme events such as hurricanes. We are already seeing this. Have you read about the failure of the rice harvest in SE Asia this year? Crops have failed before, remeber the great 'dust bowl' of the 1930's.It's already reflected in the price of rice in shops here. As the climate changes in areas they currently grow rice, those areas will become too hot or too dry to grow rice. What will they grow, and how will you handle the changeover if you can find a crop to change to? There are crops for most climates, every try farming rice... looks like hard work, maybe they will be able to grow less labour intensive crops.

Why does this comfort you?

Because their crops fail more and more often. How much available farm land is used for cattle grazing in the UK and USA? Convert these lands to crop farms and grow more food that goes further than meat from a cow will such as grains and pulses.

Because for example the glaciers feeding many of the world's major rivers such as the Ganges and the Indus are mainly glacier fed, and these glaciers are disappearing at an increasing rate. Add changing rainfall patterns and you have a recipe for disaster. More rain fall in areas yes, but less in others, Build better reservoirs to capture fresh water and get better at sharing our world’s resources.

The changes you refer to occurred over tens of thousands or hunderds of thousands of years. If this was that sort of change no-one would be worried. It's the fact that these changes are predicted for less than a century that is scary because it lives little time for humans to adjust, and practically none for plant and animal species. Hence the predictions of the loss of around one third of all the world's species.

Asteroids, axis shifts, volcanoes major earthquakes , all of these and more that we are not even aware of have instantly changed our environments in the past, yet we continue to survive.

Bangladesh is a country that consists of a delta river mouth. It is already at sea level. A small rise in sea level will trigger the mass migration of tens or hundreds of millions of people.

Floods happen every year already in Bangladesh and have for years, they continue to survive, and yes if it gets worse they may need to move to higher ground, but this won’t happen over a weekend. People are already likely on the move. How many people left New Orleans never to return? Has this caused any major issues in the States?

You are referring to the EU. The places most affected will be Africa and SE Asia, which are least able.

Africa has some of the most fertile lands in the world and some of the best water resources. It is because corruption, dictatorships and greedy multinationals that they are least able to cope. (Look at what happened to Zimbabwe). Fix the governments and Africa could become a very wealthy self sustainable continent.

Agreed.

I am not arguing against the facts of global warming, I know they are real and do my part as a global citizen, I just don't believe the doom and gloom end of the world stuff. But if that is what it takes to mobilize most people then I can live with it.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Mike: Perhaps we aren't so far apart. I still hope the direst predictions are overshooting the reality, but the prospect of a 3 degree average rise in global temperatures over the next hundred years concerns me deeply. Apart from anything else, the UK has been dependent on food imports for over 100 years now, our population is much bigger and we are going to need to resort to far more intensive farming than ever before.

There's some research on mitochondrial DNA (I think) which suggests that all modern humans are descended from about seven women who lived about 37,000 years ago, which suggests humanity has come fairly close to the edge at least once in our past (I think this was tied in with increased vulcanism - if not it was something like that which could be seen in the geological record). Other than that, most of the serious geological events you refer to occurred at a mass extinction level about when our common ancestor was a small shrew-like creature that lived in a burrow. It is the speed of these modern changes that scares me more than anything else about them.

Chuckle. Sadly for your hopes for a warmer Ireland, if the climate changes that much it is quite possible that one of the associated events is the Gulf Stream shutting down, leaving us about where we started in temperature terms...:p
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Snidely Whiplash

I really like you guys's posts, very good indeed.... :wah:

BTW, my new swim suit rocks, and it;s an awesome sunny day... "Today is reported as Normal for this time of year, and -Average- from the records of the past 70-100 years that have been kept.... :)

Lol... I am not afraid..!!!

Return to “Earth Changes”