bees and wasps

Post your factoids here. Things you find interesting. Items that we may not know about.
scott

bees and wasps

Post by scott »

im told its the female of the species that does the stinging?
minks

bees and wasps

Post by minks »

scott wrote: im told its the female of the species that does the stinging?

http://www.honey.com/kids/facts.html

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjec ... Wasp.shtml

these should help.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

bees and wasps

Post by spot »

You need to distinguish between sex and sterility. What stings you might be an infertile drone but it's invariably female.

As Snooze points out below, the correct word in this post should have been "worker", not "drone".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

bees and wasps

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl wrote: According to minks' link, a drone is a male that fertilizes the queen's eggs. The workers are the... well, workers.:thinking:Yep. Knowing what distinguishes words like "drone" and "worker" is half the battle - wasp sexing isn't something I do when I see a wasp. I prefer not to be in the same room. The difference between social hive insect species and solitary insect species in terms of the function of drones and workers quite frankly has me beat.

If it stings, it's female. If it's social and not in a nest busy breeding, it's either a queen on its way to form a new colony or, more likely, a worker out foraging. If it's solitary then I've no idea how you'd tell male and female apart, or whether there's a drone and worker category at all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

bees and wasps

Post by chonsigirl »

I thought it was Paul Newman and Robert Redford in The Sting..............:)
chrisb84uk

bees and wasps

Post by chrisb84uk »

AGHH who mentioned bees and wasps, where!!?? I just can't stand those things, they are EVIL!!!! :mad:
Uncle Kram

bees and wasps

Post by Uncle Kram »

What would you rather bee or a wasp?

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Uncle Kram

bees and wasps

Post by Uncle Kram »

Pariah Mary? - you've been reading that Cockney rhyming slang dictionary again haven't you?

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN

Return to “Did You Know?”