Christian Science

Discuss the Christian Faith.
koan

Christian Science

Post by koan »

I've heard of this but have no idea how the two mated? Anyone?
polycarp

Christian Science

Post by polycarp »

Hello Coan, I guess Christian Science derived its name from the claim of total healing by the fonder Mary Baker Eddy. She wrote a book titled "Science and Health with key to the scriptures". I guess they believe in the science of healing, but not through orthodox medicine but through the scriptures. I heard that their members don't visit doctors.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
Lon

Christian Science

Post by Lon »

I visited a Christian Science Hospital in San Francisco many years back. Looked like a regular hospital but no operating rooms, labs, x-ray equipment etc. The patient (my employers wife) was visited several times daily by a READER, who would read scripture at her bedside in lieu of medications or traditional medical treatments. She later died in considerable pain from impacted bowels.
polycarp

Christian Science

Post by polycarp »

Hello Lon and Coan, here are more facts about the Christian Science faith.

Christian Scientism was founded by Mary Baker Eddy (1821-1910). She was a woman who suffered much ill-health during her childhood and adult life. Then in 1866, when she was 46 years as she read about Jesus’ healing the paralyzed in Matthew 9: 2-8, she claims that she was healed of a serious injury.

As a result of this, she went to found the Science of Christianity which she named Christian Science. After this, she claims to have healed many people herself. Eddy taught her students that through prayer they could cure sickness. In 1892 Eddy reorganized her Boston church and renamed it The First Church of Christ, Scientist, or The Mother Church.

However, in real sense Christian Science beliefs are considered anti-science since they do not believe in the most basic scientific thought that the universe is physical and is subject to natural laws. It teaches that the material world does not exist and that only the spirit is a reality. So the physical world and human body are mere illusions. From this it follows that the body cannot be ill, suffer pain, or die.

Furthermore, the faith is excluded from mainstream Christianity because their belief about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and salvation are incongruent with the Bible. Also, their services do not involve sermons but only selected readings from Mary Baker Eddy’s books especially Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, which she claims was co-authored by God.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
koan

Christian Science

Post by koan »

So they are not really Christian and not really Scientific...and probably have a membership full of sick people who need a miracle cure?
polycarp

Christian Science

Post by polycarp »

You can say that again Coan, the name Christian Science is a total misnomer.

Return to “Christianity”