Roundabouts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Jives

Roundabouts

Post by Jives »

My little community is going to install it's first-ever traffic circle. You know, the kind where you don't stop, you just go around and come out the other side?

Well you would not believe the incredible hullabaloo that this has made. Certain residents are predicting the End of the World as We Know It, shortly followed by some kind of "traffic-apocalypse-now."

Funny thing is, everyone here agrees that stop signs don't work on our populace worth a farthing! Everyone runs them constantly! One little actress was killed recently because of this.

So here's my question before I write a letter to the editor: Have you ever experienced driving in a roundabout? If so are they great, good, bad, or evil?

Oh...and assuming you are eloquent and witty enough, can I have your permission to add your comments to my letter?:o
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Uncle Kram

Roundabouts

Post by Uncle Kram »

They're not so bad as long as you remember, in your case, to go anti-clockwise. I reckon an average journey in the UK would require you to negotiate up to a hundred roundabouts depending on how built-up an area is. It's the only kind of junction that makes sense and when you're used to them you won't even notice they're there.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
chonsigirl

Roundabouts

Post by chonsigirl »

Roundabouts are very confusing, I never experienced one until I moved back East! Whoever thought of such a silly way to make traffic go round, and drivers do not drive safer but more dangerous around them. No matter how many Yield signs are posted, it's more-anything goes! No wonder your community is upset! I would be too, and would write a letter to the editor saying you needed a new Traffic Commissioner to think up such a thing!
lady cop

Roundabouts

Post by lady cop »

they are the main reason (besides the fact they drive on the wrong side of the road) that i shall be riding a horse over there! ;)
lady cop

Roundabouts

Post by lady cop »

Arnold, if i saw that sign, i would simply turn back and return from whence i came! :eek:
chonsigirl

Roundabouts

Post by chonsigirl »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Well yes , this country is full of them and to a large degree they do keep the traffic flowing. The problem here is that our local councils have gone mad and installed them in tiny residential junctions where the traffic flow is close to 5 or 6 a day. Imbeciles !!! I suspect it has something to do with trying to get rid of a bus load of money before the end of the financial year, in case the government allocate less funds the next.

However ther is a famous roundabout in Swindon, Wiltshire that would frighten off the most adventurous. Its not called the magic roundabout for nothing. :wah: It has several small roundabouts on the large main one. A great puzzle

http://www.somethingunderstood.org/arch ... rcles.html
Good grief! That made me dizzy to think of driving around it!
Uncle Kram

Roundabouts

Post by Uncle Kram »

We have a large roundabout near here at Junction 9 on the M42 which is about 200 yards diameter. It is controlled by about 6 sets of traffic lights. It really isn't for the faint hearted or unassertive Grannys. The road-markings were completely re-vamped about 2 months ago and I'm not surprised. You had to shuffle across a lane between each set of lights. It was bad enough for the locals but anyone passing through would be having a nightmare.

Went round one in Paris which was also controlled by traffic lights and 6 lanes wide (and I was in the wrong lane). Ever tried wheel-spinning a large van? :D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Sheryl

Roundabouts

Post by Sheryl »

I've been on a small one, it's not so bad. Well except for when the highschoolers are out for lunch. Then you wanna watch out.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Accountable

Roundabouts

Post by Accountable »

I liked them in the UK. I've seen them here in the States & the busier ones cause confusion. If the roundabout will be used mainly by the locals, I'd say go for it. If there is a lot of out of town traffic (strangers) it may not be worth it.
Accountable

Roundabouts

Post by Accountable »

Here's a diagram of a roundabout I used to drive thru a couple times a week. If you're thinking about anything near this, run away!

StupidCowboyTricks

Roundabouts

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

Accountable wrote: I liked them in the UK. I've seen them here in the States & the busier ones cause confusion. If the roundabout will be used mainly by the locals, I'd say go for it. If there is a lot of out of town traffic (strangers) it may not be worth it.

Did you know that they originated here in the states?
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

theia

Roundabouts

Post by theia »

I'd steer clear of them if you can...you have the right idea, LC. I found your junctions (?) much more straightforward. Here at the mini roundabouts in Cornwall we can spend hours waiting for the driver to the right to make the first move. Then we all move at once, which is actually quite amusing.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bothwell

Roundabouts

Post by Bothwell »

So a four way stop sign is more simple?? I dont think so, I myself have been "Invited" by a state trooper to engage in the process of forward motion on more than one occasion when sitting dazed and confused at these junctions.

Also we have the "You can cross a red light under certain conditions scenario". I was nearly spread over K street in Washington last week because of this.

So roundabouts it is then!

One of the more amusing things to watch in France (besides the French) is to see all the Brits coming off the ferry and having to negotiate their first roundabout going in the opposite direction
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
theia

Roundabouts

Post by theia »

Well, I wasn't actually driving in America, so I suppose my view could be a little skewed
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
abbey

Roundabouts

Post by abbey »

theia wrote: I'd steer clear of them if you can...you have the right idea, LC. I found your junctions (?) much more straightforward. Here at the mini roundabouts in Cornwall we can spend hours waiting for the driver to the right to make the first move. Then we all move at once, which is actually quite amusing.Just do what i do and drive over them. :wah:

My bf lives in Milton Keynes, (roundabout city) so nothing daunts him,

although he does go pale when i say i'm gonna cook tea! :wah:
theia

Roundabouts

Post by theia »

abbey wrote: Just do what i do and drive over them. :wah:

My bf lives in Milton Keynes, (roundabout city) so nothing daunts him,

although he does go pale when i say i'm gonna cook tea! :wah:

Oh, Abbey, you drive over them too?? :wah:
gmc

Roundabouts

Post by gmc »

Where I live there are so many roundabouts that-and I kid you not-the inside tyres wear out faster than the outside. They work fine and a lot safer than conventional junctions. Wait till you have three or four lane roundabout to negotiate and you get twits that don't know anything about lane discipline then you will have something to complain about. They work well at rush hour with people who are used to them, it's when you get inexperienced drivers who wonder all over the place oblivious to the traffic around them it gets annoying.

My first experience of driving in London's rush hour was the hangar lane gyratory system-seven lanes is intimidating at first till you realise that most drivers don't actually want to hit you and will give way if you are bloody minded enough.

Try being in the wrong lane on this one.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateCo ... NU_ID=5443
Bez

Roundabouts

Post by Bez »

Jives wrote: My little community is going to install it's first-ever traffic circle. You know, the kind where you don't stop, you just go around and come out the other side?

Well you would not believe the incredible hullabaloo that this has made. Certain residents are predicting the End of the World as We Know It, shortly followed by some kind of "traffic-apocalypse-now."

Funny thing is, everyone here agrees that stop signs don't work on our populace worth a farthing! Everyone runs them constantly! One little actress was killed recently because of this.

So here's my question before I write a letter to the editor: Have you ever experienced driving in a roundabout? If so are they great, good, bad, or evil?

Oh...and assuming you are eloquent and witty enough, can I have your permission to add your comments to my letter?:o

We have major roundabouts and mini roundabouts EVERYWHERE. In the towns and residential areas, we also have the 'invasion of the speed bumps' for traffic calming purposes...but we won't go into that.

I haven't got a problem with roundabouts....it keeps the traffic flowing PROVIDED people keep to the rules which in the UKs case is that traffic coming from your right gets priority....where the roundabout is on a major road, you have to be very aware of your exit...there may be several.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
gmc

Roundabouts

Post by gmc »

Actually from the little I know about american cars I gather they are not actually designed to go round corners very well, will these big SUV's not roll over of you go too fast?:-3
Betty Boop

Roundabouts

Post by Betty Boop »

Roundabouts are great if everyone knows how to use them.

We actually have some stunning roundabouts around here! :thinking:
theia

Roundabouts

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: Roundabouts are great if everyone knows how to use them.

We actually have some stunning roundabouts around here! :thinking:

Where, Betty?

...or do I drive around with my eyes closed? Oh yes, I forgot, I do :-5
Betty Boop

Roundabouts

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Where, Betty?

...or do I drive around with my eyes closed? Oh yes, I forgot, I do :-5

:wah: Do you navigate with your eyes shut too?

Got me thinking now, maybe's there's only the two here, big roundabouts with grass, cornish palms, and they get planted with bedding plants in the summer. Better than concrete anyday!
theia

Roundabouts

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: :wah: Do you navigate with your eyes shut too?

Got me thinking now, maybe's there's only the two here, big roundabouts with grass, cornish palms, and they get planted with bedding plants in the summer. Better than concrete anyday!

Yes, I do. I've found it makes no difference if my eyes are open or shut...you're getting worried now, aren't you Betty??

There used to be a nicely planted one in Falmouth
Raven

Roundabouts

Post by Raven »

Jives wrote: My little community is going to install it's first-ever traffic circle. You know, the kind where you don't stop, you just go around and come out the other side?

The reason it takes so long to get anywhere here, is because they all drive in circles! LOL! Romans had the right idea dang it! Straight and to the point!:driving:
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
OpenMind

Roundabouts

Post by OpenMind »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Well yes , this country is full of them and to a large degree they do keep the traffic flowing. The problem here is that our local councils have gone mad and installed them in tiny residential junctions where the traffic flow is close to 5 or 6 a day. Imbeciles !!! I suspect it has something to do with trying to get rid of a bus load of money before the end of the financial year, in case the government allocate less funds the next.

However ther is a famous roundabout in Swindon, Wiltshire that would frighten off the most adventurous. Its not called the magic roundabout for nothing. :wah: It has several small roundabouts on the large main one. A great puzzle

http://www.somethingunderstood.org/arch ... rcles.html

They've got a similar one in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire that feed 7 roads (that is, 7 little roundabouts). I first come across it in the 1980s. Two way traffic either way around the main roundabout. Sure is fun watching those drivers that are new to it. And I still here from people who have never used it before.

Roundabouts are fine in most cases. Sometimes, though, if you have a roundabout serving one major route, and one minor route, the major route tends to hog. The cars on the minor route have to pray for a gap in the traffic on the major route or for someone to turn off onto the minor route.

Return to “General Chit Chat”