Tattoos

Jives

Tattoos

Post by Jives »

Babyrider and I differ on this subject, but we come from different backgrounds and have different occupations, so understand that there is more than one view on tattoos, and that not all of this may apply to you. Personally, I don't have one, but I have absolutely no problem with people who do. (Except for that guy with the swastika on his cheek.)

If you want a tattoo, let me give you some advice from someone who has worked for many years in the corporate sector and now works for the State:

Business is conservative.

Do NOT get a tattoo that you do not have the option of covering up. For example on your neck or FOREARM!! To the older generation, and this is changing, but very very slowly, a tattoo makes you either a person of low character and moral value or an ex-convict. It's a stereotype, that's true, and a false one with most people, but it's still out there and some people (not me) still make this judgement.

You can argue all you want that this is not true, but that won't change the world. Employers, especially upscale ones, will not tolerate anything seen as unprofessional in their employees. One lawyer told me, "If I see any piercings or tattoos, they just lost their chance to work in my office."

Also beware of "trendy" tattoos. a tattoo is a permanent fashion statement and fashion, my friends, is NEVER permanent!

A tatto of DragonBall Z might seem cool to you now, but 50 years from now, you'll look pretty stupid to everone who sees it. Imagine how the people who got "I love Brittany Spears" feel now. :wah:

Realize that a tattoo will have to be kept up over the years. My wife used to have a red and blue ladybug on her hip, now it's just a purple blob.

Lastly, DO NOT EVER get a tattoo from a guy in a house on your street. 60% of all Hepatitus C cases are spread by dirty needles. Amatuers do not have the autoclaves neccessary to completely sterilize their equipment. Once you have Hepatitus, there is no cure. Eventually your liver will quit, and you need your liver to live! Need I say more? Go to a professional outfit, and make sure (ask) that the tools have been completely sterilized after the person before you!
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Wolverine

Tattoos

Post by Wolverine »

you are absolutely right, Jives.

*and glad you're still here, btw*

i have a wrap on my right bicep. no one knows its there unless i tell them.

but i am still getting a "sleeve" on my left arm in May.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

Jives wrote: Babyrider and I differ on this subject, but we come from different backgrounds and have different occupations, so understand that there is more than one view on tattoos, and that not all of this may apply to you. Personally, I don't have one, but I have absolutely no problem with people who do. (Except for that guy with the swastika on his cheek.)

If you want a tattoo, let me give you some advice from someone who has worked for many years in the corporate sector and now works for the State:

Business is conservative.

Do NOT get a tattoo that you do not have the option of covering up. For example on your neck or FOREARM!! To the older generation, and this is changing, but very very slowly, a tattoo makes you either a person of low character and moral value or an ex-convict. It's a stereotype, that's true, and a false one with most people, but it's still out there and some people (not me) still make this judgement.

You can argue all you want that this is not true, but that won't change the world. Employers, especially upscale ones, will not tolerate anything seen as unprofessional in their employees. One lawyer told me, "If I see any piercings or tattoos, they just lost their chance to work in my office."

Also beware of "trendy" tattoos. a tattoo is a permanent fashion statement and fashion, my friends, is NEVER permanent!

A tatto of DragonBall Z might seem cool to you now, but 50 years from now, you'll look pretty stupid to everone who sees it. Imagine how the people who got "I love Brittany Spears" feel now. :wah:

Realize that a tattoo will have to be kept up over the years. My wife used to have a red and blue ladybug on her hip, now it's just a purple blob.

Lastly, DO NOT EVER get a tattoo from a guy in a house on your street. 60% of all Hepatitus C cases are spread by dirty needles. Amatuers do not have the autoclaves neccessary to completely sterilize their equipment. Once you have Hepatitus, there is no cure. Eventually your liver will quit, and you need your liver to live! Need I say more? Go to a professional outfit, and make sure (ask) that the tools have been completely sterilized after the person before you!

if asked what you want your tattoo to be and you reply "a butterfly or something" STOP right there "or something" isn't a good enough reason for just any old tattoo.

Do not get a tattoo where your are most likely to sag, belly, boobs, butt's.

Tattoos are for life make them something you are passionate about.

Depending on the career you are in Tattoos are more and more acceptable however some cultures find them offensive as well so keep that in mind too. And true Jives there are the older generations that will always see them as trash.

Never get a tattoo when drunk, or on a whim cause your cousin Bart got one. PUT THOUGHT INTO IT!!!
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
weeder

Tattoos

Post by weeder »

Ive always tried to tell my younger son that as much as he hates to hear it,potential employers will judge you when they see tatoos. As fashionable as they have become, I am always surprised to see one on females. And Ill admit it.. I am not attracted to men who have them. The concept of it being permanent is something Ive never been able to wrap my mind around in a comfortable way. They actually remind me of people being walking bill boards. To be honest again, and fair... I have seen some that really are works of art, But Id rather see art on a canvas, not flesh.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

and here is my take, a good tattoo is good art and body art can be gorgeous :D

Guess it is just a different way of seeing the art.

I would never judge a person by their tattoos.

― Mae West
Jives

Tattoos

Post by Jives »

Wolverine wrote: *and glad you're still here, btw*

...Thanks, Wolverine, that means a lot to me. really.:o
Jives

Tattoos

Post by Jives »

minks wrote:

Do not get a tattoo where your are most likely to sag, belly, boobs, butt's.

LOL. yeah, I never thought of that!:wah:
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

Jives wrote: LOL. yeah, I never thought of that!:wah:

hehehe well at 40 it was huge on my list of considerations hehehehe

― Mae West
Accountable

Tattoos

Post by Accountable »

I'm with Jives. I don't have one but couldn't care less if anyone else does. I have seen very few I would consider "tasteful." The coolest one I saw was a pattern that ran halfway up the edge of a lady's ear. I thought it was a fancy earring at first.

Also, those tatoos peeking out of the backs of ladies' jeans these days are quite sexy to me. Sometimes, though, I imagine that tatoo on some 90-year-old great grandma. :yh_sick
Jives

Tattoos

Post by Jives »

minks wrote: and here is my take, a good tattoo is good art and body art can be gorgeous :D

Guess it is just a different way of seeing the art.

I would never judge a person by their tattoos.

I totally agree. You wouldn't, however, believe the huge amount of FLAK I got when I became a teacher and they found out I have a diamond earring in my left ear. I still get parents telling me, "You have an earring? and you're a TEACHER!?" As if an earring somehow negates my ability to teach.

Minks, you work in an office setting, don't you? I remember you saying you are a technology / systems coordinator / manager (IT person) aren't you? How do your tattoos go over where you work?:confused:
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

Jives wrote: I totally agree. You wouldn't, however, believe the huge amount of FLAK I got when I became a teacher and they found out I have a diamond earring in my left ear. I still get parents telling me, "You have an earring? and you're a TEACHER!?" As if an earring somehow negates my ability to teach.

Minks, you work in an office setting, don't you? I remember you saying you are a technology / systems coordinator / manager (IT person) aren't you? How do your tattoos go over where you work?:confused:

Jives you have me mixed up with the beau, he is the IT guy and his tattoo is on his thigh so no one sees it but..... his pierced ear was NOT well received. He feels it may hinder promotions down the line (but I suspect since meeting me he doesn't care cause he is not to keen on moving to another city at present time)

When I worked at the recruitment agency my tattoo's were not to be visible... as the muslim community find them offensive.

Current job it is fine... currently in purchasing and manufacturing so they would not give a rip. Come summer we will see the response when I show up in shorts hehehehe I have a couple tattoos yes, one on my thigh and one on my back, both can be covered by clothing easily. I show them when I feel like it. I do not flaunt them.

― Mae West
Jives

Tattoos

Post by Jives »

minks wrote: I have a couple tattoos yes, one on my thigh and one on my back, both can be covered by clothing easily. I show them when I feel like it. I do not flaunt them.

Smart. Smart girl!:D
BabyRider

Tattoos

Post by BabyRider »

Jives wrote: Lastly, DO NOT EVER get a tattoo from a guy in a house on your street. 60% of all Hepatitus C cases are spread by dirty needles. Amatuers do not have the autoclaves neccessary to completely sterilize their equipment. Once you have Hepatitus, there is no cure. Eventually your liver will quit, and you need your liver to live! Need I say more? Go to a professional outfit, and make sure (ask) that the tools have been completely sterilized after the person before you!
This is so, SO important. And do not just ask if they sterilize their stuff, there are ways to tell. Ask to see every package that the tubes, needles, etc., come in. Every package made now has an autoclave indicator on it. The mark is a pale green or pink or some light color, that turns black ONLY when it has been autoclaved properly. Ask to see the marks. Make sure NONE of the packaging is opened until it's in front of you. Any artist who is hesitant to show you and explain his sterilization procedures should not be trusted. There should be tiny, individual pots of ink, also sterile, also unopened till they are in front of you.

Jives says "sterilized after the person before you." No, no, NO! They should be using brand new tubes and needles for each person, which are discarded after they are used. If the artist is using tubes and needles that he used on someone else, WALK OUT!

Tattoos should mean something to you. Not be a trendy thing, not be a spur of the moment thing, not be a decision made lightly. My tat is an arrowhead, to represent my heritage and because I bowhunt. There is a feather attached to it, to enhance the Native American theme. Then, inside the arrowhead is my son's name. Putting a person's name on your body is something to consider even harder than getting the tat in the first place. Tats are permanent, not all relationships are. The only name I'd ever put on my body is that of my kids. That's right, I'd never even put Bullet's name on me.

So Jives, while we do have some differing views on people's perceptions of people with tatoos, we are in total agreement on these aspects!

Oh yeah....anyone who tells you "It doesn't hurt THAT much," is a big, fat, huge liar.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Sheryl

Tattoos

Post by Sheryl »

In Texas you are asked questions before getting a tattoe. And if your drunk they show you out the door. All 3 of my tattoes are of the same theme, flowers.

Another thing about tattoes, depending on where your getting one you can be in some awkaward postions for a while.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Sheryl

Tattoos

Post by Sheryl »

BabyRider wrote:

Oh yeah....anyone who tells you "It doesn't hurt THAT much," is a big, fat, huge liar.

It didn't hurt that bad!!:wah:

my son
Wolverine

Tattoos

Post by Wolverine »

the one i have was fine, actually felt kinda cool, until she got to the last inch or so on the backside of my arm. you know, right where the seam of a shirt would be. that SUCKED!

lady cop

Tattoos

Post by lady cop »

a lot of women cops i know have barbed wire around their biceps, i don't care for it much. but i have a union jack on my right bicep.
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

BabyRider wrote: This is so, SO important. And do not just ask if they sterilize their stuff, there are ways to tell. Ask to see every package that the tubes, needles, etc., come in. Every package made now has an autoclave indicator on it. The mark is a pale green or pink or some light color, that turns black ONLY when it has been autoclaved properly. Ask to see the marks. Make sure NONE of the packaging is opened until it's in front of you. Any artist who is hesitant to show you and explain his sterilization procedures should not be trusted. There should be tiny, individual pots of ink, also sterile, also unopened till they are in front of you.

Jives says "sterilized after the person before you." No, no, NO! They should be using brand new tubes and needles for each person, which are discarded after they are used. If the artist is using tubes and needles that he used on someone else, WALK OUT!

Tattoos should mean something to you. Not be a trendy thing, not be a spur of the moment thing, not be a decision made lightly. My tat is an arrowhead, to represent my heritage and because I bowhunt. There is a feather attached to it, to enhance the Native American theme. Then, inside the arrowhead is my son's name. Putting a person's name on your body is something to consider even harder than getting the tat in the first place. Tats are permanent, not all relationships are. The only name I'd ever put on my body is that of my kids. That's right, I'd never even put Bullet's name on me.

So Jives, while we do have some differing views on people's perceptions of people with tatoos, we are in total agreement on these aspects!

it don't hurt that much hehehehe :P

― Mae West
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

boney parts hurt loads, spine the most as nerve endings are all along it.

Fleshy parts hurt the least

tattoos on the foot will fade fast due to sweat and wear and tear.

red color fades the fastest of all colors

white and pale yellow have to be touched up often.

Outlines hurt the most as they go in the deepest, shading hurts the least but lasts the longest.

Any tattoo artist that says yea we can do the globe in the size of a dime is going to give you a blob. A detailed tattoo needs SPACE so if you want something small. you go simple... like oh an orange.

― Mae West
Sheryl

Tattoos

Post by Sheryl »

When I had the band of flowers done around my left ankle. It hurt the worse on the very front.

my son
DesignerGal

Tattoos

Post by DesignerGal »

Jives wrote:

a tattoo is a permanent fashion statement and fashion, my friends, is NEVER permanent!

Sorry Jives, this isnt really true. I have had 2 tattoos removed. Its not permanent but its a heck of a lot more expensive to get them taken off than put on. Let see...

My first tattoo cost about $150 to put on, the second was $100. Total is $250. My mother works for a dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon so I got a big break on removal. I had to pay $165 per visit instead of $415.

HOWEVER, it took me 14 treatments before they were both gone. You do the math guys! Pretty expensive! Make sure you know what you want and where you want it!

Oh and blue and green are the hardest to get out. If they cant get it out, they scrape your skin off and you have a huge scar!

HBIC
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

DesignerGal wrote: Sorry Jives, this isnt really true. I have had 2 tattoos removed. Its not permanent but its a heck of a lot more expensive to get them taken off than put on. Let see...

My first tattoo cost about $150 to put on, the second was $100. Total is $250. My mother works for a dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon so I got a big break on removal. I had to pay $165 per visit instead of $415.

HOWEVER, it took me 14 treatments before they were both gone. You do the math guys! Pretty expensive! Make sure you know what you want and where you want it!

Oh and blue and green are the hardest to get out. If they cant get it out, they scrape your skin off and you have a huge scar!

oiy did they hurt??

― Mae West
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

Sheryl wrote: When I had the band of flowers done around my left ankle. It hurt the worse on the very front.

i had a twig jamed up inside my nail bed of my big toe and it broke off and stayed in there for weeks. My foot swelled up like a ham and I got blood poisoning that hurt way worse than either of my tattoos heheheheh

― Mae West
DesignerGal

Tattoos

Post by DesignerGal »

minks wrote: oiy did they hurt??
Oh yeah, thats the other point I wanted to make. You know when you have a REALLY REALLY REALLY bad sunburn and someone scrathes it really hard? It felt like that times 100 constantly

HBIC
Peg

Tattoos

Post by Peg »

As if an earring somehow negates my ability to teach.

And a tattoo would?:-2
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

DesignerGal wrote: Oh yeah, thats the other point I wanted to make. You know when you have a REALLY REALLY REALLY bad sunburn and someone scrathes it really hard? It felt like that times 100 constantly

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

― Mae West
Jives

Tattoos

Post by Jives »

BabyRider wrote:

Aha! I learned something! Looks like the industry is getting better these days! Thanks for that info, BR!

My tat is an arrowhead, to represent my heritage and because I bowhunt. There is a feather attached to it, to enhance the Native American theme. Then, inside the arrowhead is my son's name.

See? That's what I'm talking about. That will be classic forever.

lol. Similar to root canal, eh?:-2
DesignerGal

Tattoos

Post by DesignerGal »

Jives wrote: Aha! I learned something! Looks like the industry is getting better these days! Thanks for that info, BR!

See? That's what I'm talking about. That will be classic forever.

lol. Similar to root canal, eh?:-2

NO WAY! You get anesthesia for a root canal Jives!!!

HBIC
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

DesignerGal wrote: NO WAY! You get anesthesia for a root canal Jives!!!

hehehe good point there DG

― Mae West
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

mrsK wrote: I have had my eyebrows tattooed only because they didn't grow back to well after chemo.

I intend on having my lips done in April,just a nice bit of colour as I can't keep lipstick on at all.More vanity than anything.

Oh by the way it didn't hurt ...............

oooo now you are a brave lady, I think I would be crying there. Lips huh oucheeee wooooo

― Mae West
minks

Tattoos

Post by minks »

mrsK wrote: Don't worry minks I probably will have the tears running down the face,I think they give a needle to deaden the lips though.Well I am hoping they do,thats for sure

i hope for your sake they doo too owww

― Mae West
Jives

Tattoos

Post by Jives »

You had Chemo?!!:-2 And you still teach school?!! You are one sweet, brave lady!

(Jives bows deeply to Mrs. K.):o
HotnSexyForNomad

Tattoos

Post by HotnSexyForNomad »

I have a tattoo. Its a heart. With "Nomad" smack dab in the middle. Guess where its at.
chonsigirl

Tattoos

Post by chonsigirl »

Is it the little smiley guy on your tattoo?
HotnSexyForNomad

Tattoos

And it somehow looks like he's actually dancing! Man, I love those little skinny yellow legs.
chonsigirl

Tattoos

Post by chonsigirl »

Yeah, he needs to go dancing with the other guys just for us girls!
Wolverine

Tattoos

Post by Wolverine »

HotnSexyForNomad wrote: And it somehow looks like he's actually dancing! Man, I love those little skinny yellow legs.
i thought it looked like he was getting crushed. i can't think of a better way to go.;)

HotnSexyForNomad

Tattoos

Wolverine wrote: i thought it looked like he was getting crushed. i can't think of a better way to go.;)

You keep that up, and I'll start stalking you, you big hunk of manly man.
Sheryl

Tattoos

Post by Sheryl »

minks wrote: i had a twig jamed up inside my nail bed of my big toe and it broke off and stayed in there for weeks. My foot swelled up like a ham and I got blood poisoning that hurt way worse than either of my tattoos heheheheh

Ouch!! :wah:

My butt topper only hurt around the spine.

my son
Wolverine

Tattoos

Post by Wolverine »

*sigh*

Lil~Basco

Tattoos

Post by Lil~Basco »

Far Rider wrote: YOU HAVE AN EARRING! YOU HAVE AN EARRING? REALLY?

Left is right and right is wrong, right? Or is left wrong and right right? Jives.. YOU HAVE AN EARRING?!

WHAT?

:confused:
Hmmmm....Jives has an earring and you are afraid to get that red bull tattoo? :-3
chonsigirl

Tattoos

Post by chonsigirl »

Left is right and right is wrong, right? Or is left wrong and right right? Jives.. YOU HAVE AN EARRING?!

WHAT?

:confused:
I prefer men without earrings, somehow-it isn't appealing to me.

I guess I am too old.

:)
Accountable

Tattoos

Post by Accountable »

WHAT?

:confused:Dang Far! :wah: I can hear your skin crawling from all the way over here. (([smilie=9,37,12]))
Peg

Tattoos

Post by Peg »

I don't have any tattoos but would like to have one. Every time I think about it though, I think "that money could pay a bill". I don't care for sleeves, or tattoos on the neck or face, but other than that, I think they look really nice. If I were to hire someone for an executive position, I'd rather hire the more qualified person than worry about one or 2 tattoos. Earrings on guys don't bother me either as long as they are not dangly. Even a small stud in the nose or eyebrow looks fine on some people.
SOJOURNER

Tattoos

Post by SOJOURNER »

When one speaks of a 'sleeve', as in tattos, what does this mean?
Accountable

Tattoos

Post by Accountable »

SOJOURNER wrote: When one speaks of a 'sleeve', as in tattos, what does this mean?
http://www.tattoodirectory.com/itc/april05/A/a.htm

It's too many pics for me to post.
SOJOURNER

Tattoos

Post by SOJOURNER »

Accountable wrote: http://www.tattoodirectory.com/itc/april05/A/a.htm

It's too many pics for me to post.

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Now that's a tattoo!

Talk about the illustrated man......................

Do you get just one done?

Do woman get these too?

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”