The Mojave Desert in fall

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

Heh Luna-I spent about 8 years going out to high desert on weekends-my inlaws lived in El Mirage by Victorville and I was a volunteer ranger for Bureau Of Land Management along with my inlaws. Took me a year to really love the place-even in the heat-so much beauty just getting up at 6 am to walk thru the desert and look up at the snow covered mountain of Wrightwood or at night and watch the stars we never see in the city. When they moved to Lucerne Valley we got to get used to there also-but not as secluded as El Mirage. Neither was 29 Palms. El Mirage was like a different world, hearing coyotes all nite, chopping wood at xmas to heat the house-temps get down to 11 degrees in winter and up to triple digits in summer.Spring is even prettier if they get rain and the desert flowers come out!
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

Luna I recognise the streets must've driven by at one time or another. I loved El Mirage cause when we volunteered with the rangers we sis all kinds of sightseeing in the out of the way places only our ATV or 4 wheel trucks would take us. Found all kinds of old houses abanded out there-built back in the early 1900's some earlier I think. One house built totally out of rocks even had a huge swimming pool built-all the kids at the time made their handprints and dated it. It was a huge pool too! House had like 2 bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen and a cellar-was the neatest looking thing-have pics somewhere of it cause my inlaws last name (mine too) was same name of people who built it-Hamilton-was like a piece of history my sis in law and I loved to visit all the time-wondering about the family and what ever happened to them.
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

El Mirage has a dry lake bed about 8 miles long they use for off road vehicles and special races, hang gliders, lots of commercials done out there. Very desolate-main road el mirage bld has a couple bars on it,one end has an old airport, some homes by the roadway and as you drive into Adelanto more and more homes appear-now it is all built up cept right by the lakebed.I think the G-7 streets were on the other end of lakebed-almost into Edwards AFB area. We always had so much fun out there-we miss it a lot. My brother is married to my ex husband sis so we were all still family. The one Christmas we spent out there was like out of the Little House on the Prairie-my brother cutting firewood, had snow, was 10 degrees during the day-best christmas I ever had.Over the years my inlaws moved to Lucern valley, brother and sis in law moved to Texas, FIL died and MIL moved to Texas with rest of family, now my niece lives there too. My sis loved to find the turtle holes and mine shaft owls-even found a den of foxes one day.That Hamilton Ranch we found-we don't know how they filled it-only wells out there no city water supply-maybe the rains in spring filled it.

Return to “Travel Vacation”