Henry County, VA Gets Stellar Leaders.

A forum to discuss local issues in WV, VA, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, AR, LA, FL
ChiptBeef

Post by ChiptBeef »

The Sunday, January 8, 2006 Martinsville Bulletin reported that County Supervisor H.G. Vaughn was unanimously elected as chairman, and Supervisor Debra Buchanan was unanimously elected vice chairman, of the Henry County Board of Supervisors. Both Mr. Vaughn and Ms. Buchanan both have had sound records of leadership in Henry County, Virginia. Ms. Buchanan was nominated for the local Chamber of Commerce's "Supervisor of the Year" in 2005.

www.martinsvillebulletin.com under "Archive" in article "Vaughn will head supervisors in 2006"

The same Martinsville Bulletin article reported that one lone supervisor abstained from the vote for less than legitimate reasons. The Martinsville Bulletin published its own editorial on that politicial play.

www.martinsvillebulletin.com under "Local Editorials" in "Parker: Take stand and vote on issue"
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" - Mahatma Gandhi
ChiptBeef

Post by ChiptBeef »

Most of the Henry County supervisors share the concerns expressed by Chairman H. G. Vaughn regarding local economic development issues, as found in a Wednesday, January 11, 2006 Martinsville Bulletin news article.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/fourthstory.htm

This proves, in my opinion, that Mr. Vaughn's leadership is long overdue. Just days after being elected to his position, he is able to speak for the board with the support of most of his colleagues on the board. It is odd theat supervisor Andy Parker abstained from the vote electing Mr. Vaughn by unanimous vote, but didn't abstain from getting his remarks printed in the Bulletin article. Looks like Mr. Parker is into publicity.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" - Mahatma Gandhi
TruthSeekerToo

Post by TruthSeekerToo »

I don't have all the info handy to post, but I can tell you that some in the local media and the area went after a few of these folks that were just elected to office because they weren't willing to roll over for the reversion and some other things. There is a general feeling that there are two classes of folks here, the haves and the have nots. Now that we've got some folks in key positions on the local boards that will stand up for us common, hard-working people, the upper crust is getting upset and trying to use their pull and power to squash what the people want, or in this case what we don't want. Another financial mess. I'll get some of the facts together and post them soon, so everyone can get a better picture.
TruthSeekerToo

Post by TruthSeekerToo »

Collinsville, Virginia elected a new supervisor, Mr. Jim McMillian, to the Henry County Board of Supervisors in November 2005. During his door-to-door campaign, Mr. McMillian promised residents he would be more available and responsive to his constituents.

Supervisor Mcmillian took office in January 2006 and immediately began fulfilling that campaign promise. On Thursday, January 27, 2006 Supervisor McMillian called a special public input session prior to the regular board of supervisors meeting to get feedback from his constituents. In one short month, Supervisor McMillian had more community input sessions than his predecessor had in four years. That's what I call leadership. Congratulations Collinsville. :D
TruthSeekerToo

Post by TruthSeekerToo »

The following information comes from a Sunday, 1/29/06 Martinsville Bulletin newspaper Page 4-A article by Shawn Hopkins; "McMillian says he does not hate the city."

"Collinsville District Supervisor Jim McMillian said that despite his opposition to Martinsville's reversion to a town and his call to dissolve the Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corp., he does not hate the city. "I'm not a city hater. I just don't want the city to be a county hater," he said. I'm just looking out for my constituents." McMillian talked about... other topics with constituents attending his first community meeting Thursday night. McMillian said he intends to have more community meetings."

Supervisor Jim McMillian is following through with his campaign promise of being more available and responsive to his constituents. Go Mr. Jim! :yh_bigsmi

Return to “South East”