New computer...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

Well....I've got it...a new 'puty'.

First task was to get on to the internet which obviously I have done and now I'll have to add all my bits and bobs...don't know how long that will take but I'll see you later......hopefully !!!
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chonsigirl

New computer...

Post by chonsigirl »

You go Bez! You'll be the fastest one here now to zip around the threads!
theia

New computer...

Post by theia »

Congratulations, Bez. And clever you, setting it all up on your own...t'would be an absolute nightmare for me :-5
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

It's a bit weird...screen is very bright and the text is a bit small....need to explore the settings...but I got my priorities right and sorted the internet so I could catch up with you guys !!!

It's got a very quiet keyboard....very odd...

I'll have to get used to XP it's strange.
Betty Boop

New computer...

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeControl wrote: I recently got a new computer and monitor... I love my flatscreen.:-4

I :-4 mine too, how big is yours??

You'll soon get usd to XP Bez, it's pretty much the same.
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

Betty Boop wrote: I :-4 mine too, how big is yours??

You'll soon get usd to XP Bez, it's pretty much the same.

17".....I'm having problems copying my files form OLD to NEW....stress, stress, stress !!!
orangesox1

New computer...

Post by orangesox1 »

Flat screens are great, mines 19'' and I find it difficult to use any CRT monitors now.
Lil~Basco

New computer...

Post by Lil~Basco »

Bez wrote: It's a bit weird...screen is very bright and the text is a bit small....need to explore the settings...but I got my priorities right and sorted the internet so I could catch up with you guys !!!

It's got a very quiet keyboard....very odd...

I'll have to get used to XP it's strange.

Congrats on your new computer! I have a 19" flat screen monitor.

To make text larger...

Go to the top and click on tools...

click on internet options...

find accessibility towards the right bottom of that box...

click on it...

a box will open...

then check..."ignor font sizes specified on web pages"

Click ok.
Betty Boop

New computer...

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeControl wrote: 17"

Yay, FG is back online!:D

Show off!!!

And now I know I'm not on your ignore list!! :wah: phew!!
Betty Boop

New computer...

Post by Betty Boop »

Bez wrote: 17".....I'm having problems copying my files form OLD to NEW....stress, stress, stress !!!

*betty stamps feet*

not fair, I've only got 14" !
Lil~Basco

New computer...

Post by Lil~Basco »

SnoozeControl wrote: Of course it wasn't you! I'm trying to suck up so you'll let me stay with you when the herd of us shows up in Cornwall.

It was that vitamin D guy... but we're buddies now. He's helping me with my imaginary hemorrhoid (that Accountable suggested I ask advice about.):rolleyes:
I must have been pigging out on venison sausage and missed the "vitamin D guy" thingy....
Lil~Basco

New computer...

Post by Lil~Basco »

SnoozeControl wrote: Let's see... he's in the pandemic thread quite a lot and he posted in someone's Alaska thread... oh yeah, he's in a Scotland and MS thread, too. I'm sure there are more, he's very vocal about the benefits of sunshine and vitamin D.
O-K, I know of whom you speak!
Betty Boop

New computer...

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeControl wrote: Of course it wasn't you! I'm trying to suck up so you'll let me stay with you when the herd of us shows up in Cornwall.

It was that vitamin D guy... but we're buddies now. He's helping me with my imaginary hemorrhoid (that Accountable suggested I ask advice about.):rolleyes:

You can come stay with me Snooze, Theia can have Nomad!!:-3

oh dear that imaginary thing sounds nasty, hope he can help you!!
Nuthrday

New computer...

Post by Nuthrday »

Excellent, Bez! I love my 'new' puter even tho it's probably a dinosaur now, at 9 months old...it does have a slight problem at this time...boohoo. But it still works if I coax it...
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

Lil~Basco wrote: Congrats on your new computer! I have a 19" flat screen monitor.

To make text larger...

Go to the top and click on tools...

click on internet options...

find accessibility towards the right bottom of that box...

click on it...

a box will open...

then check..."ignor font sizes specified on web pages"

Click ok.

Lil...you're a STAR.! I can now see everything properly...I know who to come to now if I have any more probs.

I've even got my iPod going as well. Wish the darned earphones wouldn't keep falling out of my ears though. maybe someone can come up with an alternative that will fit my 'shell likes'.
Lil~Basco

New computer...

Post by Lil~Basco »

Bez wrote: Lil...you're a STAR.! I can now see everything properly...I know who to come to now if I have any more probs.

I've even got my iPod going as well. Wish the darned earphones wouldn't keep falling out of my ears though. maybe someone can come up with an alternative that will fit my 'shell likes'.
I'm so glad this little hint worked for ya! ;)
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Bez, I have risked looking silly and wear proper comfortable earphones when using my ipod. Those damn stick-in-your-ear things really hurt after a while

Will any ones fit the iPod ?
spot

New computer...

Post by spot »

Are you still using this, Bez? Has it stayed the course, done the work, avoided the polluting effects of the Internet?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

spot;1335123 wrote: Are you still using this, Bez? Has it stayed the course, done the work, avoided the polluting effects of the Internet?

Funny you should ask that Spot as I have been having problems with speed on the internet lately and have been 'cusssing' my 'old friend' that I have had nearly 5 years. I'm running Windows XP and it 'does' everythng I need.

I have IE version 8 . Everythings OK once I'm on the Internet but it's slow to 'fire up'.
Snowfire

New computer...

Post by Snowfire »

Bez, do you "clean" your computer ? By that I mean getting rid of the temporary files that clog up your hard drive. I run "Crap Cleaner" on a regular basis. It frees the computer from getting bogged down and keeps it running as slick as a ball bearing in a tub of Swarfega
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

Snowfire;1335138 wrote: Bez, do you "clean" your computer ? By that I mean getting rid of the temporary files that clog up your hard drive. I run "Crap Cleaner" on a regular basis. It frees the computer from getting bogged down and keeps it running as slick as a ball bearing in a tub of Swarfega

I 'defrag' and use the stuff supplied with XP to keep everything in order. Is 'Crap Cleaner' safe ?. I'm always concerned about downloading stuff from the internet
spot

New computer...

Post by spot »

It your bleedin' memory, Bez. Always is, every time.

If you download and install Speccy - System Information - Free Download it will tell you more about your computer than you ever wanted to know. If you copy/paste the right-hand panel of the main screen here it'll show your processor, how much memory you've got and your bra size. After we finish tittering we can have a think about getting a couple of years more satisfaction out of the box. And if it's not memory I'm a Dutchman's Uncle.

The same firm's http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner is safe, yes.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

New computer...

Post by CARLA »

You may have to much in your startup that will slow it down as well.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

spot;1335148 wrote: It your bleedin' memory, Bez. Always is, every time.

If you download and install Speccy - System Information - Free Download it will tell you more about your computer than you ever wanted to know. If you copy/paste the right-hand panel of the main screen here it'll show your processor, how much memory you've got and your bra size. After we finish tittering we can have a think about getting a couple of years more satisfaction out of the box. And if it's not memory I'm a Dutchman's Uncle.

The same firm's CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download is safe, yes.

Well....I've downloaded 'speccy' and 'Crap cleaner' ...they've 'done thier stuff' and things do seem to be running quicker. Goodness only knows if I've lost anything of 'value'...... oh well, I'll soon find out. :-6:-6

Thanks to Carla,Snowfire and Spot for thier advice and wisdom...........I'll let you knmow if things stay good.
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

CARLA;1335150 wrote: You may have to much in your startup that will slow it down as well.

What kind of stuff would that be Carla ?
Snowfire

New computer...

Post by Snowfire »

Bez, if you open "Crap Cleaner" and click on the tools icon on the left hand side it will open up a window. On the left of that window is a "start up " tab. Click on that and it will show you what programmes start up when yo turn on your PC. You can disable all the ones that are not necessary. Most programmes can be started up by yourself, when they are needed and not when the PC starts.

Dont worry CCleaner wont have deleted anything that is needed. Its all rubbish that gets left behind when you surf the net. You may have to type in your email address for , say, your log-ins, email etc.

CCleaner also has its own uninstaller if you choose not to use the one in the Control Panel of Windows

Uncle Van Nistelrooy will know much more about it than me

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

New computer...

Post by Snowfire »

As an aside. I use a site called FileHippo.com - Download Free Software for free downloads. Its a site that can be trusted. It has utilities, browsers, audio/video software, anti virus....

All free and safe

Winston Churchill
spot

New computer...

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1335163 wrote: As an aside. I use a site called FileHippo.com - Download Free Software for free downloads. Its a site that can be trusted. It has utilities, browsers, audio/video software, anti virus....

All free and safeI've a preference for the indexing on http://bearware.info/ if you fancy a gander.
Snowfire

New computer...

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1335164 wrote: I've a preference for the indexing on http://bearware.info/ if you fancy a gander.

Certainly Uncle Rembrandt. I'll have a butchers

Winston Churchill
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

:-6Snowfire;1335160 wrote: Bez, if you open "Crap Cleaner" and click on the tools icon on the left hand side it will open up a window. On the left of that window is a "start up " tab. Click on that and it will show you what programmes start up when yo turn on your PC. You can disable all the ones that are not necessary. Most programmes can be started up by yourself, when they are needed and not when the PC starts.

Dont worry CCleaner wont have deleted anything that is needed. Its all rubbish that gets left behind when you surf the net. You may have to type in your email address for , say, your log-ins, email etc.

CCleaner also has its own uninstaller if you choose not to use the one in the Control Panel of Windows

Uncle Van Nistelrooy will know much more about it than me

OK...I'll take a peep
Snowfire

New computer...

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1335164 wrote: I've a preference for the indexing on http://bearware.info/ if you fancy a gander.

That looks very handy. I've a link on my browser for it now

Winston Churchill
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

My computer is definitely connecting to the internet faster. I have only used the 'cleaner' and visited the 'Startup' section and disabled some stuff so far.

I have looked at the 'Registry section' but it looks a bit scary to me. I have scanned for issues and there are several.....should I go ahead and fix these issues and say YES to 'Backup' ????

Help please Spot
spot

New computer...

Post by spot »

Bez;1335324 wrote: Help please SpotDon't look at me, that's Snowfire's tool you're playing with.

Would you like to copy/paste what speccy says on its summary screen?
Bez

New computer...

Post by Bez »

spot;1335329 wrote: Don't look at me, that's Snowfire's tool you're playing with.

Would you like to copy/paste what speccy says on its summary screen?

Here goes ...........

Operating System

MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3

CPU

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 37 °C

Venice 90nm Technology

RAM

512MB Single-Channel DDR @ 200MHz (3-3-3-8)

Motherboard

NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL MS-7168 (CPU 1)

Graphics

SyncMaster @ 1152x864

ATI video (Packard Bell B.V.)

Hard Drives

156GB Seagate ST3160023AS (SATA) 35 °C

Optical Drives

NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Audio

Realtek AC'97 Audio
spot

New computer...

Post by spot »

Bez;1335337 wrote: Here goes ...........You might think I'm joking but really, that's a wonderful piece of kit.

Anyway, memory. You've got a half GB. You really need two GB. You could, if you were extreme, fit four in there but let's stick to being sensible.

If you have anyone in the neighbourhood fit to unplug the computer, take the cover off, blow out the dust a bit, remove the existing memory, slot in two new modules into a pair of the four memory sockets, replace the cover and power cord. then:

I'm suggesting you increase your memory by a factor of four. It will make a huge difference. Been there many many times. A half GB is a bottleneck with XP service pack 3 and that's what you've changed the software to over the years (all those "security upgrades").

Kingston 2GB DDR RAM 400Mhz 2x 1GB KVR400X64C3A/1G on eBay (end time 26-Oct-10 13:41:20 BST)

You want to buy £45.49 worth of that, including delivery. The machine will take twice as much but I can't see any benefit.
Snowfire

New computer...

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1335329 wrote: Don't look at me, that's Snowfire's tool you're playing with.

I don't let anybody loose with it. Just a chosen few

Winston Churchill

Return to “General Chit Chat”