What can't I miss in New York City

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

I'm planning a visit to NYC next year, with a group of friends - none of us have visited before.

We comprise one person who shops until she drops, one who loves art and culture, one who hates musicals and a 14 year old who wants to do whatever's coolest. :p

Any tips on the must-sees ?
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

Statue of Liberty

Shopping on 5th

Zabars deli

Museums

Central Park zoo (Whatch out for red pandas)

If its still winter skating at Rockerfeller centre or Wollman (sic) rink Central park

Brunch at the Inn on the Park

Broooklyn Bridge

Chrysler Building (IMO the most beautiful skyscraper ever)

Central Park generally

Battery park (often overlooked)

Staten Island Ferry
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Empire State Building...

Ellis Island

FAO Schwartz

Times Square

Tiffany's

Pizza
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

Is Zabars still there?
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Do you think if I combined looking at Tiffanys windows whilst eating pizza I'd get moved on ? :p

Thanks guys
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Why is Zabars deli on the list ? Isn't a deli a deli ? Or is that blasphemy to deli-goers ? :p

Mind you, I've always fancied breezing into a deli and ordering a pastrami on rye, hold the pickles. There's just never an opportunity to say that in the UK.
booradley

Post by booradley »

Yavanna wrote: Why is Zabars deli on the list ? Isn't a deli a deli ? Or is that blasphemy to deli-goers ? :p

Mind you, I've always fancied breezing into a deli and ordering a pastrami on rye, hold the pickles. There's just never an opportunity to say that in the UK.

egg mayonnaise on white just doesn't have the same ring, does it:-1
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Yavanna wrote: Why is Zabars deli on the list ? Isn't a deli a deli ? Or is that blasphemy to deli-goers ? :p
Oh Yav.....when you do go to Zabar's, you'll understand, and hopefully bite your own tongue for saying "Isn't a deli a deli?" At least, if you have an iota of appreciation for the finer things in life! :yh_rotfl

Seriously, they aren't kidding, go to Zabar's.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Yavanna wrote: I'm planning a visit to NYC next year, with a group of friends - none of us have visited before.

We comprise one person who shops until she drops, one who loves art and culture, one who hates musicals and a 14 year old who wants to do whatever's coolest. :p

Any tips on the must-sees ?

I hear the subway tunnels are full of interesting surprises.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Nomad wrote: I hear the subway tunnels are full of interesting surprises.

Can't be any more "interesting" than the London Underground. I once had a guy come up to me at Kings Cross tube station and say that I had the look of the devil about me, and was I the devil in fact? I said yes. .

Booradley - couldn't agree with you more! We sandwich-illiterate in the UK, which is annoying since we invented the damn thing. It's just not good enough. Although I do note that Marks & Spencers is now doing a rare beef and horseradish sandwich, which is a step in the right direction. :p

OK, so Zabars in now on our list.

What other things should we see that are off the beaten tourist track ? And by the way, what should we say and not say to the natives ? :D
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Can't be any more "interesting" than the London Underground. I once had a guy come up to me at Kings Cross tube station and say that I had the look of the devil about me, and was I the devil in fact? I said yes. .

Satan I have so many questions ! Whats up with the pitchfork for starters, that is so overkill.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Ah I'm glad someone started this thread, I am hoping to visit NYC, next year as well. I just hope the flight is as good and trouble free, as my only other visit to the US.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Nomad wrote: Satan I have so many questions ! Whats up with the pitchfork for starters, that is so overkill.

Yeah, but it's great for barbecuing. Mmmm, toasted sinners......;)

Chris, who are you thinking of flying with to NYC? Virgin is looking good.......
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Yep Virgin most likely. We used them when we flew to Vegas a few months back, and not only were they pretty cheap, but reliable too. Can't say we had any problems using them, and the flights were actually on-time which was great.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Well, I'm hoping to fly from Bristol Airport to save the trek up to Heathrow but I have no idea if Virgin flies from there.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

chrisb84uk wrote: Yep Virgin most likely. We used them when we flew to Vegas a few months back, and not only were they pretty cheap, but reliable too. Can't say we had any problems using them, and the flights were actually on-time which was great.

Flying with a virgin has its challenges, yet the rewards can be sweet...good thinking my friend !;)
I AM AWESOME MAN
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Yavanna wrote: Well, I'm hoping to fly from Bristol Airport to save the trek up to Heathrow but I have no idea if Virgin flies from there.

Oooh I'm not sure about that. My rough guess would have to be no, as I know we had to go down to London to get our flights to the US, at least flights that didn't involve a stop somewhere, and we live pretty near Bristol, so I guess that they don't.

But seeing as how I have been wrong before, (not often though! :p ) I guess the best way to find out is to go to Virgin's website and have a look around there.
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I can't believe no one's mentioned the hookers.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Male ones ? What do they call male hookers in NYC? wonders how far the £ will stretch against the $ :D
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Try the non-tourist areas. I suggest the lower east side, it has a alot of culture, etc. That will show you the real nyc.

Return to “Travel Vacation”