Exhausted from Lucid Dreaming

Discuss topics ranging from UFO's to Unexplained Phenomena.
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

Hi guys

I hope I'm posting this in accurate forum. If not sorry.

Without boring you with all the details of my life:

Since an event in my life about 2 years ago I've started having these dreams when I suddenly realise that I'm dreaming. It freaked me out a little bit so I looked it up on the net (old faithful) and found the term lucid dreaming.

Sometimes I have more control in the dream then other times. In the beginning I found it interesting but now it won't turn off. I feel like my conscious is constantly awake. I'm now having these dreams where they are sooo real I actually look for tips in the dream to see if I'm dreaming or not. Sounds a bit nuts doesn't it.

Last night was sooo real. I was dreaming that I was going up a staircase in a real big house. I knew the house in the dream. It was like something out of the last century. I followed some friends up the stairs (nobody I know in this life)and then from the top window I saw a man downstairs and I instantly recognised him as 'Philip'. Also nobody I know when Im awake. I ran down the stairs and into his arms and he was crying saying how delighted he was to see me. This was ssooooo real. Not like a regular dream.

Can anybody advise me how to turn this off please??

Love Jen xxx :confused:
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

drink heavily? :D
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Novocaine? Eastenders? An energetic lover? Serioulsy, there are books about this, its not unusual, I'm sure you can find a way to make it stop without resorting to meds.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

jennyswan wrote: Hi guys

Since an event in my life about 2 years ago I've started having these dreams when I suddenly realise that I'm dreaming. It freaked me out a little bit so I looked it up on the net (old faithful) and found the term lucid dreaming.

Sometimes I have more control in the dream then other times. In the beginning I found it interesting but now it won't turn off. I feel like my conscious is constantly awake. I'm now having these dreams where they are sooo real I actually look for tips in the dream to see if I'm dreaming or not. Sounds a bit nuts doesn't it.

Last night was sooo real. I was dreaming that I was going up a staircase in a real big house. I knew the house in the dream. It was like something out of the last century. I followed some friends up the stairs (nobody I know in this life)and then from the top window I saw a man downstairs and I instantly recognised him as 'Philip'. Also nobody I know when Im awake. I ran down the stairs and into his arms and he was crying saying how delighted he was to see me. This was ssooooo real. Not like a regular dream.

Have you tried looking up sleep paralysis?
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

Hi Openmind

Have you tried looking up sleep paralysis?

Yes I know what that is. Happened a couple of times where I was really stressed out so I read up on it. It helps if you try to shake your head and scream. That usually brings you out of it.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

jennyswan wrote: Hi Openmind

Yes I know what that is. Happened a couple of times where I was really stressed out so I read up on it. It helps if you try to shake your head and scream. That usually brings you out of it.

Apparently, one way to take control is to focus on your navel which diverts the mind's focus from the dream. Alternatively, try to physically move a finger or toe.

Making a sound may work. When I was a young boy, I suffered badly from nightmares. Screaming used to be futile, the vocal chords just wouldn't respond. In one nightmare, however, having given up trying to scream, I said "oooh" and it woke me up (don't y'all laugh now, I was just a wee bairn). It seems that the vocal chords can respond to gentle commands. In later years, I learnt that I could take control of my dreams anyway. Now, for some reason, I rarely dream and if I do, it's usually a premonition of sorts.

Good luck. Hope something here works.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I used to have these as well.. I found out it was something that usually happened during the day... Also I found that Ice Cream before bed makes me have these dreams as well.. So now I eat Ice Cream when I get up in the morning..!! :sneaky: Just kidding..

I can usually bring myself out of them by moving some part of my body.. as OM so nicely stated screaming does no good, even as an adult no sound comes out period.. your just screaming in your dream.. BAT AN EYE, MOVE YOUR ARM, TOES, ROLL OVER.. !! ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

CARLA wrote: I used to have these as well.. I found out it was something that usually happened during the day... Also I found that Ice Cream before bed makes me have these dreams as well.. So now I eat Ice Cream when I get up in the morning..: sneaky: Just kidding..

I can usually bring myself out of them by moving some part of my body.. as OM so nicely stated screaming does no good, even as an adult no sound comes out period.. your just screaming in your dream.. BAT AN EYE, MOVE YOUR ARM, TOES, ROLL OVER.. !! ;)

I think Carla is right - I used to have them a lot and now not so much anymore. It's almost like astral projection in your dream. Move something and get connected with your body again. I don't know what trauma you had but it opened up a place in your brain that allows this to happen. You can also concentrate on a particular event in the dream - a physical event - that will allow you to wake up. Do you sleepwalk too?
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
booradley

Post by booradley »

I'd love to listen to your riveting story about your dreams but I have to watch some paint dry.

Take nytol for a few nights and break the pattern. EVERYONE has realistic dreams now and then.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

booradley wrote: I'd love to listen to your riveting story about your dreams but I have to watch some paint dry.

Take nytol for a few nights and break the pattern. EVERYONE has realistic dreams now and then.

Bad, bad Boor - a bad dream is so much different from a lucid dream. I'll guess you've never had one. Nytol would probably make it worse.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
booradley

Post by booradley »

of course I have. Everyone has. It's part of our neurological make up.
booradley

Post by booradley »

SnoozeControl wrote: Maybe I'm not understanding this, but isn't lucid dreaming where you realize its a dream and manage to insert a measure of control over what's happening in said dream? I think that would be a very good thing.

well I always end up running up the hill with a bottle of green milk and trip over a crisp bag

I exert control because the crisp bag is always salt and vinegar
abbey

Post by abbey »

Hoped you slept peacefully last night Jenny.
Valerie100

Post by Valerie100 »

Jen, I don't know if you believe in reincarnation or not. Look into it. You could be having memories from a past life, brought on by whatever this event was that happened two years ago.

I learned an interesting technique when I was reading on the topic of reincarnation.

Clear your mind and relax (laying down is best). Let the first thought that pops into your head materialize and just allow the thought to run its course, follow it and let it go wherever it's going. You can write it down afterwards, if you want. You will realize that the thought is something from a past life that you're remembering, which you can then directly relate to your life today.

An example of mine is this: I did this technique and found myself as a child in the frontier, the west, you know. I was about four or five. I woke up in the morning and could not find my parents. I looked under my parents whicker-style bed and saw my mother's hand-knitted, aztec colored slippers there. I looked in the closet for my parents. I figured that they must be hiding. They were nowhere to be found. I remember jumping on their bed.

As the memory came back to me, I died in that lifetime, because I didn't know how to take care of myself. I died of starvation. I believe now that my parents were killed by Indians.

Right now, in the present, I have an eating disorder kind of problem. I try to lose weight and let my stomach get virtually empty, and then I go through bouts and periods were I can't seem to get enough food. I just eat and eat and eat and eat. This food disorder-type-thing that I have I can trace back to that lifetime when I starved to death. This is why I'm like this with food. It's still a response from the frontier girl that starved to death.

Oh, and it's not uncommon for souls who have known each other in past lives to know each other in other lifetimes, as well. The friends in your dreams, do you notice any similarities to any of your present day friends? Any mannerisms that are the same, appearances that are the same -- although, a little different with different period clothing -- their smiles, conversation tones, or the way that they carry themselves? You could be among reincarnated friends now.

Look into reincarnation. Try the above technique. It might help you to better understand your dreams. I hope it helps!
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for all the info. Yes I've read a lot about reincarnation. Interesting topic. I can't decide if I truly believe or not.

One of the dreams I had the other night was a bit like this.

I walked into a room in a really old house. It felt like this was years ago and in Russia or somewhere. There was a blond haired man who was about 18 and I decided to take a closer look at him. I remember saying to him in the dream. My God you are Alex. This was an Ex from this life. I then promptly woke.

About a year ago I had this dream that really stoke with me.

I was in this mansion/castle type of place and was lucid. I was looking around, doing the ususl, testing the furniture, opening the drawers etc when I saw this woman staring at me from the bottom of the room. She had dark hair and was about 30. I thought God who is she. I know I'm dreaming and who is this woman in my dream? Why is she staring at me and what is she doing here? I then got a bit scared and woke up. Do you think that I just have an overactive imagination? :thinking:
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

jennyswan wrote: Hi Valerie,

Thanks for all the info. Yes I've read a lot about reincarnation. Interesting topic. I can't decide if I truly believe or not.

One of the dreams I had the other night was a bit like this.

I walked into a room in a really old house. It felt like this was years ago and in Russia or somewhere. There was a blond haired man who was about 18 and I decided to take a closer look at him. I remember saying to him in the dream. My God you are Alex. This was an Ex from this life. I then promptly woke.

About a year ago I had this dream that really stoke with me.

I was in this mansion/castle type of place and was lucid. I was looking around, doing the ususl, testing the furniture, opening the drawers etc when I saw this woman staring at me from the bottom of the room. She had dark hair and was about 30. I thought God who is she. I know I'm dreaming and who is this woman in my dream? Why is she staring at me and what is she doing here? I then got a bit scared and woke up. Do you think that I just have an overactive imagination? :thinking:

Dreams are strange things. No one has entirely come to understand them. usually, I am given an interpretation within seconds of waking up from the dream. If not, then I can do one of two things. I can either write down the details of the dream (which rapidly fade from my memory), or I can forget about it.

In the main, it is my feeling that dreams are the product of the subconscious sorting out facts, whether they be pre-current life or concurrent. In the sa,e way, dreams can create premonitions by martialling facts and reproducing the most likely outcome. Remember, the brain is more powerful than we realise (hence the reason why the majority of leaders try to suppress us).
Valerie100

Post by Valerie100 »

Jenny, no, I don't think you have an overactive imagination. You probably knew those people in a passed life.
Bronwen

Post by Bronwen »

Clancy wrote: ...anyhow, what the hell is a leghorn anyway? Is it something like a shoe horn for helping big people into their pants, or what !?.Ah, how quickly they forget, and how short is life!

The Snoozer is correct, there is a breed of chicken called a leghorn, but the Foghorn Leghorn character was based on a character on the old Fred Allen radio show named Senator Claghorn, a stereotypical southern windbag politician whose catch-phrase, like Foghorn's, was 'It's a joke, son'.

Claghorn was voiced (this is RADIO, remember) by Allen's announcer, Kenny Delmar. Delmar did not do Foghorn's voice, like all the WB toons, that was done by the late Mel Blanc, but Delmar, using the same voice and the same basic characterizations, was the voice of 'The Hunter' on the old 'King Leonardo' cartoon show. He also did other cartoon voices.

Delmar also made a full-length movie as Claghorn, titled, predictably, 'It's a Joke, Son'. It occasionally shows up on late-night TV or cable channels featuring old films, but it's a real dud of a film - the Claghorn character was best in small doses.

Now, regarding so-called 'lucent dreaming', about ten or fifteen years ago that was quite a fad, and numerous books were written about how one could more or less program one's own dreams as sources of entertainment. That fad passed quickly, and of course, all the authors really wanted was for you to buy the book. But most of us have had dreams like jenny describes; in fact, I have one a few nights ago. It was VERY realistic, yet I knew I was dreaming but the dream continued. I finally decided to try the old trick of pinching myself, and as I was about to do so, I woke up.

Apart from that, jenny, I haven't any advice, other than to suggest going to bed on an empty stomach.
Bronwen

Post by Bronwen »

SnoozeControl wrote: Interesting, I had never heard all that about the radio show. Thanks for posting that.Here is a good webpage on Kenny Delmar and Senator Claghorn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator_Claghorn

The only error I found is the reference to the late bandleader Phil Harris as a 'fellow Southerner'. Harris was born in either New York City or Linton, Indiana (sources differ), and his Southern accent was mainly an affectation, though a very successful one.
PermanentMarker

Post by PermanentMarker »

i'm familiar with this effect you have.

Try this :

Go to bed when your realy tired don't go early.

In the beginning you need to become real tired, (work hard).

But in the eavening don't work You need to go to a rest period.

You should go to bed when you think in the next 10 minutes you will sleep.

Otherwise just watch some more tv or do some other light joyfull things listen to music but don't be to active. otherwise adrenaline can keep you awake.

You might just before sleeping drink a glass of warm milk.

Often one is to much aware (sometimes by meditation) to close down the self and led nature bring you to a normal sleep (meditation isn't always helpfull)

----

Scientist wonder wy the human self is switched of during dreaming

Lucid dreamers wonder why there are scientist who beleive that..

:driving:
Felinessa

Post by Felinessa »

You know, this may be my ignorance speaking, but I too would think that having control over your dreams would be a good thing. What I always thought was strange about dreams is the "doubling": in my dreams, I both participate in what's going on and can watch everything as if I were on the outside somehow. It doesn't always happen, though. Another thing I find interesting is how you just "know" things in dreams, without a ready explanation or logical proof. I wish we just "knew" things in real life like that, although I'm trying to listen to my gut-instinct more (it usually tells me when a person is bad news or dangerous, but there's nothing paranormal about that - just survival instinct picking up the cues that people give unawarely).

I've also had very realistic dreams, but I think all of us do, although I'm not sure what makes certain dreams seem more real than others. The worst one was when I dreamed that my mother dried and woke up crying - it took me a few minutes to realize that it wasn't true. Another time I dreamed that I had killed a man, and then slipped into a different dream which messed with my sense of reality: I dreamed that I had woken up in my parents' bed at our old apartment and that I was trying to figure out if I had really killed the man or it was just a dream. So when I woke up for real, I was far too confused :wah:

Other than that, I find that my dreams are pretty prosaic when it comes to interpreting them: no matter how weird they seem, it's obvious that they are reflections of my thoughts, worries, fears, etc, so there is nothing esoteric about them.

I'd be interested in a more scholarly/serious source about reincarnation, if anyone knows of one. Not really a New-Agey thing because those generally make me queasy :wah: But I've often wondered about one thing: you see, my area of interest is early modern women writers in England (1550-1690ish). Now there are many scholars doing that nowadays out of pure academic interest. But sometimes, when I read what those women wrote and look at their pictures, I somehow feel connected to them. It's easy to dismiss it as simple intellectual affinity and admiration for their work: after all, they were producing incredible literature that few people knew about until the 20th century; they were proto-feminists, rhetoricians, poets, philosophers, theologians. But a few of them I feel like I somehow "knew." I felt the same thing about Heloise of Paraclete and Christine de Pisan when I studied their work and wrote papers on them. Sure, there is not much of a pattern: Heloise lived in 12th c. France, Christine in the 14th c., and Aemilia Lanyer and Mary Wroth in the 16th-17th c. in England. The obvious connection is that they were all women writers in a male-dominated intellectual millieu and that they produced works which were revolutionary, albeit in different ways. So it's probably nothing, just the usual empathy that comes with meeting a kindred spirit, even if it's across centuries and on paper. It's probably just curiosity which makes me lose myself in the details of their portraits. But there is also this weird feeling that I somehow "knew" them. If I did, man, I'd do anything to be able to retrace some things, because I get fuzzy just thinking about the scholarly advantages that kind of thing would possess :wah:
The power of MEOW
theia

Post by theia »

Felinessa wrote: You know, this may be my ignorance speaking, but I too would think that having control over your dreams would be a good thing. What I always thought was strange about dreams is the "doubling": in my dreams, I both participate in what's going on and can watch everything as if I were on the outside somehow. It doesn't always happen, though. Another thing I find interesting is how you just "know" things in dreams, without a ready explanation or logical proof. I wish we just "knew" things in real life like that, although I'm trying to listen to my gut-instinct more (it usually tells me when a person is bad news or dangerous, but there's nothing paranormal about that - just survival instinct picking up the cues that people give unawarely).

I've also had very realistic dreams, but I think all of us do, although I'm not sure what makes certain dreams seem more real than others. The worst one was when I dreamed that my mother dried and woke up crying - it took me a few minutes to realize that it wasn't true. Another time I dreamed that I had killed a man, and then slipped into a different dream which messed with my sense of reality: I dreamed that I had woken up in my parents' bed at our old apartment and that I was trying to figure out if I had really killed the man or it was just a dream. So when I woke up for real, I was far too confused :wah:

Other than that, I find that my dreams are pretty prosaic when it comes to interpreting them: no matter how weird they seem, it's obvious that they are reflections of my thoughts, worries, fears, etc, so there is nothing esoteric about them.

I'd be interested in a more scholarly/serious source about reincarnation, if anyone knows of one. Not really a New-Agey thing because those generally make me queasy :wah: But I've often wondered about one thing: you see, my area of interest is early modern women writers in England (1550-1690ish). Now there are many scholars doing that nowadays out of pure academic interest. But sometimes, when I read what those women wrote and look at their pictures, I somehow feel connected to them. It's easy to dismiss it as simple intellectual affinity and admiration for their work: after all, they were producing incredible literature that few people knew about until the 20th century; they were proto-feminists, rhetoricians, poets, philosophers, theologians. But a few of them I feel like I somehow "knew." I felt the same thing about Heloise of Paraclete and Christine de Pisan when I studied their work and wrote papers on them. Sure, there is not much of a pattern: Heloise lived in 12th c. France, Christine in the 14th c., and Aemilia Lanyer and Mary Wroth in the 16th-17th c. in England. The obvious connection is that they were all women writers in a male-dominated intellectual millieu and that they produced works which were revolutionary, albeit in different ways. So it's probably nothing, just the usual empathy that comes with meeting a kindred spirit, even if it's across centuries and on paper. It's probably just curiosity which makes me lose myself in the details of their portraits. But there is also this weird feeling that I somehow "knew" them. If I did, man, I'd do anything to be able to retrace some things, because I get fuzzy just thinking about the scholarly advantages that kind of thing would possess :wah:

Felinessa, you might be interested in a book called The Book of the Soul by Ian Lawton that I read a few months ago. It talks about reincarnation in a more rational way than some new agey stuff although I do find some of the "classics" very good too. You should be able to find the author's website in a search and read a little more about the book...just a thought, anyway.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
natani

Post by natani »

just wondering.....do these dreams trigger when you're still awake and you know you are awake or are you aware of yourself being asleep? Natani
Felinessa

Post by Felinessa »

To my understanding, you are asleep and dreaming, but you know you are dreaming and can change things at will. I've never had that :(
The power of MEOW
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Lucid dreaming................what a place. I still do that
natani

Post by natani »

The reason I asked was because I used to have dreams that I'd have when I was still awake....and I knew I was awake.....once it triggered I couldn't stop it until it ran its course. I've also had what you call lucid dreaming as well....it happens pretty frequently but I don't feel exhausted. Lately, I've been pretty stressed and distracted so my dream life has been slow. Natani
yorkster

Post by yorkster »

jennyswan;174775 wrote: Hi guys

try reading some of the works Of Robert Monroe. In the 1960 he had similar experiences but he refered to them as "Out of body Experiences". His book journeys out of the body has been a great help to many people such as yourself.he approached the subject from a scientifc rather than esoteric angle. Some of his work maybe a little "far out" but you have to seperate the wheat from the chaff, some of it may be relevant to you.
twizzel

Post by twizzel »

jennyswan;174775 wrote: Hi guys

Try running down stairs to a live man, can I volunteer.
abbey

Post by abbey »

:thinking: Wonder what happened to Jenny?

Been ages since i last saw her.
belly

Post by belly »

Did the suggestions about trying to scream or wiggle your toe help?

I am exhausted from lucid dreaming.

I am physically exhausted when I wakeup.

I am making really dumb errors at work because I am that tired.

And I am starting to look at my bed with hate because of what I go through when dreaming.

There seems to be a heap of material on the net about people who actually want to lucid dream. That one is hard to believe.

Any suggestions to stop dreaming would be useful.

Belly

Return to “Paranormal Science”