Refrigerate Butter?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
robinseggs

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by robinseggs »

Do you refrigerate butter? I do, but have a friend who doesn't. She says it's safe. I dunno about that!!! Also do Europeans refrigerate their butter?
Nature laughs Last
devist8me

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by devist8me »

I don't. Stays in a decorative covered butter dish next to the stove.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
lady cop

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by lady cop »

from Land 'o Lakes....(i would never keep a dairy product at room temp. but i know lots of people who do. ) Storage
Always keep butter refrigerated. Store it in its original container in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not the warmer "butter keeper" on the door. Store it away from foods with a distinctive odor like cheese, onions, garlic, etc..

Refrigerate unused portions of opened butter in a covered dish.

LAND O LAKES® Butter has a shelf life of four months. For longer storage, freeze in carton.
actionfigurestepho

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I refrigerate, but mostly because if I don't the cats will find a way to get into it!
theia

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by theia »

Refrigerate..but I buy the easy spread otherwise I find myself eating great chunks of butter on broken up bread :-5
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Alfred

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Alfred »

me=refridgerate
abbey

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by abbey »

I buy the spreadable stuff so no problem with it being cold.

My mum leaves hers out all the time & in the hot weather (we do get some occasionally) it gets rancid, ugh!
Alfred

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Alfred »

the flies attack with a vengence if we leave it out
buttercup

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by buttercup »

help im being refrigerated

i live in scotland, im cold enough thank you :D
sherry

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by sherry »

I don't use proper butter, I find it too rich.

But if I did I'd keep it in the fridge.
Valerie100

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Valerie100 »

Refrigerate it. Why take a chance with your health by leaving it out all the time?
PurpleChicken

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by PurpleChicken »

I'm definitely for refrigeration! If not for the possible health issues (though I agree many people have survived just fine without refrigerating theirs), I get stuck on the practicality of it all. Can't think there'd be too much left when you leave butter out on a 30 degree day....
jasmund

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by jasmund »

I grew up with not putting it in the fridge, I think it depends on the brand, um, I dont, it makes it more warm and skwishy, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Some of us like it that way. I'm 38 and havent kicked the bucket yet, and peanut butter is a constant in my house.Wierd that my son has never , ever liked it.

-Jasmund

-Peanut Butter is the food of gods.
robinseggs

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by robinseggs »

Thanks guys...I was just wondering. I grew up always refridgerating it. But I love it when it is soft and spreadable. As for buying the spreadable stuff.....well then I am not buying butter and the whole flavor changes. My friend told me to go to this site. Apparently you can keep the butter fresh if you use this "butter bell". Ever heard of this?

http://butterbell.com/catalog.html

By the way, Far Rider.........oh I just love honey and butter on biscuits!!! Or how about a Johnny cake?!! (cornbread). Also good w/ butter and Karo syrup--the clear one. LOL

I need to get back to the gym.
Nature laughs Last
valerie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by valerie »

I keep it in the fridge except when I know I'm going to use it on something

that I need it soft to spread. Then I take it out ahead of time and let it

come up to room temp. If I forget, I can always nuke it for a few secs.

I would eat way too much if I left it cold, it just doesn't spread. And I

don't buy the whipped kind which is spreadable because them you're

paying butter prices for AIR!!

My mom always left out the margarine growing up. But then she also

used to save bacon grease in a coffee can and re-use it YUCK.

:yh_eyerol
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

valerie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by valerie »

Au Contraire, AL, eggs should ALWAYS be kept refrigerated! Keeps them

from developing way yucky bacteria in there!

:)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

robinseggs

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by robinseggs »

valerie wrote: I keep it in the fridge except when I know I'm going to use it on something

that I need it soft to spread. Then I take it out ahead of time and let it

come up to room temp. If I forget, I can always nuke it for a few secs.

I would eat way too much if I left it cold, it just doesn't spread. And I

don't buy the whipped kind which is spreadable because them you're

paying butter prices for AIR!!

My mom always left out the margarine growing up. But then she also

used to save bacon grease in a coffee can and re-use it YUCK.

:yh_eyerol

"They" now say that re-using that grease is a carcinogenic...(causes cancers) but who knew? And what doesn't cause cancer these days? lol

Well apparently this "butter bell" crock is supposed to guarantee to keep the butter fresh left on the counter/cabinet...... my friend swears by it. Hmmm...I am thinking about trying it.

On the healthier side of things I just ate a Lean Cuisine Chicken Fried Rice and it wasn't bad...doctored it up a bit with some teriaki sauce but not bad. Yes it is only 10 am but hey i am a stay home mom, what the heck?
Nature laughs Last
Bez

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Bez »

I store butter in the fridge (door compartment) but i always keep the portion we are using in a covered butter dish on the worktop. My husband eats quite a lot so it gets consumed quickly. I do put the dish in the fridge in the summer if it gets hot, otherwise it melts !!

Before we had fridges, I guess people kept their butter in a larder with marble shelves...my mum did....and they shopped daily for perishables, not weekly like we/I do now.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
valerie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by valerie »

robinseggs wrote: "They" now say that re-using that grease is a carcinogenic...(causes cancers) but who knew? And what doesn't cause cancer these days? lol

Well apparently this "butter bell" crock is supposed to guarantee to keep the butter fresh left on the counter/cabinet...... my friend swears by it. Hmmm...I am thinking about trying it.

On the healthier side of things I just ate a Lean Cuisine Chicken Fried Rice and it wasn't bad...doctored it up a bit with some teriaki sauce but not bad. Yes it is only 10 am but hey i am a stay home mom, what the heck?

Oh, the things my Mom used to do back then! I think I've mentioned it

before: stuff the turkey the night before Thanksgiving, and then, because

there wasn't enough room in the fridge, LEAVE IT OUT ON THE KITCHEN

COUNTER OVERNIGHT! Margarine and white bread every day on the table

for meals. Canned watery spinach.

Our only saving grace was a HUGE garden, all that fresh stuff for months

on end... and meats my dad brought in.

(BTW, Lean Cuisines are not bad at all... they've got some new ones out

by I always have really liked their 'sghetti and meatballs!

:o
Tamsen's Dogster Page

jennyswan

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by jennyswan »

I wouldn't refrigerate real homemade butter but you should also use it quickly. I would refrigerate margarine though.

There is nothing like a big slice of hot toast with real melting butter on it. Yummy:)
Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

lady cop wrote: from Land 'o Lakes....(i would never keep a dairy product at room temp. but i know lots of people who do. ) Storage

Always keep butter refrigerated. Store it in its original container in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not the warmer "butter keeper" on the door. Store it away from foods with a distinctive odor like cheese, onions, garlic, etc..

Refrigerate unused portions of opened butter in a covered dish.

LAND O LAKES® Butter has a shelf life of four months. For longer storage, freeze in carton.

Butter is salted which acts as a preservative, its safe to keep out.
I AM AWESOME MAN
lady cop

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by lady cop »

Nomad wrote: Butter is salted which acts as a preservative, its safe to keep out.oh, so you're going to argue with land 'o lakes? the butter people?? and what about unsalted butter, HUH??? how much salt do you think is in butter anyway? it's not exactly salted cod you know. :p pffffttttt
Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

Land o Lakes, hmmm I wonder where that could be ? This has been a debate in my own house, we called Land o Lakes and that was their reply.
I AM AWESOME MAN
lady cop

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by lady cop »

it was their website :confused: ..but i agree it does get rancid if left out for too long.
Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

They said its ok for a few days due to the salt but the unsalted must be refrigerated. Theyre probably just playing it safe.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lil~Basco

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Lil~Basco »

lady cop wrote: it's not exactly salted cod you know. :p pffffttttt

:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl

Sorry LC....but that was a good one!
robinseggs

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by robinseggs »

Nomad wrote: They said its ok for a few days due to the salt but the unsalted must be refrigerated. Theyre probably just playing it safe.

AH-HA!! So the unsalted is not safe to leave out? Hmmm...its the only kind I like. I think the salted butters taste stale. It's the only kind my parents buy.... really ruins a whole meal in my opinion!! Anyhow, so now I still wonder....and will have to ask Land o Lakes about this "Butter Bell" thing.......can I store unsalted butter in THERE??????? UGH!!!! What do you guys think?
Nature laughs Last
robinseggs

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by robinseggs »

Well if anybody is still reading this thread...saw this in an email I got today and thought I'd share it....checked it out w/ Snopes already so it is valid....

Claim: Ingestion of some types of margarine increases the risk of coronary disease.

Example: [Collected via e-mail, 2003]

The difference between butter and margarine?

Both have the same amount of calories, butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods, butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added! Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods. Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

Now for Margarine, very high in trans fatty acids triple risk of Coronary Heart Disease, Increases total and LDL ( This is the bad Cholesterol), Lowers HDL cholesterol and this is the good one, Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold, lowers quality of breast milk, decreases immune response, and decreases insulin response.

And here is the most disturbing fact......

Margarine is but one molecule from being PLASTIC..... (This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated, this means hydrogen is added changing the molecular structure of the food.)

You can try this for yourself, purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area, within a couple of days you will note a couple of things, no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it, (that should tell you something) it does not rot, smell differently... Because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it, even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow... Why?

Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Origins: This

compilation began circulating on the Internet in June 2003, often under the title "Butter vs. Margarine."

Surprisingly enough, there is a fair bit of truth to it. According to the latest findings in the medical world, margarine can increase the risk of heart disease, depending upon the type of fat contained in the spread. Previously, the dietary villain in the development of coronary disease was presumed to be saturated fat, but new evidence points the finger to trans fat (also known as trans fatty acids). Although butter has its own set of dietary shortcomings, it does not contain trans fat.

In 1994, Harvard University researchers reported that people who ate partially hydrogenated oils, which are high in trans fats, had nearly twice the risk of heart attacks as those who consumed much less of the substance. Several large studies in the United States and elsewhere, including the Nurses' Health Study conducted by researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health, have also suggested a strong link between earlier death and consumption of foods high in trans fat.

Trans fats occur naturally in small amounts in some foods, including meat and dairy products, but most trans fats in the American diet are formed when vegetable oils are chemically changed to give them a longer shelf life. Cookies, potato chips, baked products, and the like are particularly loaded with trans fats.

The Food and Drug Administration, the National Academy, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. and the American Heart Association all recommend consumers limit their intake of trans fat wherever possible. Moreover, the federal government has insisted that by 2006 all food labels disclose how much trans fat products contain.

Until that labelling change comes into effect, consumers should be wary of any foodstuff that makes mention of containing "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" ingredients. They should also not make the mistake of assuming saturated fats are now good for them or no longer pose any danger to their health. This is not a time to be wallowing in butter.

Those still tussling with the "butter versus margarine" controversy, or who just want to know how their margarine stacks up against others might find the following comparison chart informative. Numbers given in grams refer to how many grams of each particular type of fat there are per tablespoon of that brand. (A tablespoon of butter or margarine contains 14 grams.) Numbers given as percentages represent the impact of one tablespoon of that spread on the recommended daily allowance of that substance. Margarines sampled were of the "tub" variety. (The same margarines in "stick" form had consistently higher numbers.) Total Fat Saturated Polyunsaturated Monounsaturated

Butter 11g (17%) 7g (36%) 0 0

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter 10g (15%) 2g (10%) 4.5g 4.5g

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light 5g (8%) 1g (5%) 2.5g 1.5g

Parkay 8g (13%) 1.5g (8%) 4g 2g

Fleischmann's 9g (14%) 1.5g (10%) 4g 3g

Blue Bonnet 7g (14%) 1.5g (10%) 3g 2g

Imperial 7g (10%) 1.5g (7%) 3g 1.5g

Country Crock (Shedd's Spread) 7g (10%) 1.5g (7%) 3g 1.5g

Because butter is an animal product, it contains cholesterol, amounting to 30 mg per tablespoon or 10% of the USDA recommended daily allowance. Margarines, because they are non-animal products, do not.

The preceeding chart says nothing about which margarines contain trans fats or how much because this information is not always included on product labels.

Although a great deal of the information given in the e-mail is valid, one bit of intelligence is nothing more than hyperbole tossed in by the author in an effort to make his point more strongly. The claim that some comestible is but a "single molecule away" from being a decidedly inedible (or even toxic) substance has been applied to a variety of processed foods.

[Collected via e-mail, 2005]
Nature laughs Last
Wolverine

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Wolverine »

FatKids love butter. and cake.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

robinseggs

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by robinseggs »

What is "FatKids"?? You mean fat kids? My kids aren't fat! lol

......and I'm not either.....lol
Nature laughs Last
nvalleyvee

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by nvalleyvee »

You can keep real butter out in the winter if your kitchen stays coolish. The summers are too hot here for me to trust anything left out.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Uncle Kram

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Uncle Kram »

Always keep "I Can't Believe It's Not Utterly Butterly" in the Fridge.

Alternatively, be like me and lead a butter-free life. Moist bread dispenses with the need for a lubricant. Did know someone once who ate a block of butter like a choc ice

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

Uncle Kram wrote: Always keep "I Can't Believe It's Not Utterly Butterly" in the Fridge.

Alternatively, be like me and lead a butter-free life. Moist bread dispenses with the need for a lubricant. Did know someone once who ate a block of butter like a choc ice

You make sandwiches sound dirty. I like that !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Alfred

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Alfred »

wow...4 pages on butter
BabyRider

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by BabyRider »

Alfred wrote: wow...4 pages on butter
Wow...one post on the number of pages on the topic of butter. :yh_bigsmi :yh_giggle

(Can you tell I'm bored?)
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Alfred

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Alfred »

no not quite...give it some more time perhaps.
BabyRider

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by BabyRider »

Alfred wrote: no not quite...give it some more time perhaps.
???

Give what some more time?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Alfred

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Alfred »

time to figure out your bored, why are you bored?
silverfox

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by silverfox »

Butter should only be refrigerated for long term storage. Cut off your daily ration and leave out to soften is what I do but for the BEST butttered toast here in Wales UK I use a warmed knife to cut thick slithers off the COLD butter which then slowly melts on the toast that has been allowed to cool slightly then spread thickly with marmalade - decadent of what? (Tip. Have tissues handy in case of butter running down your wrist! - best not eaten in bed - the crumbs and stickiness is not conducive to romance! LOL :wah:
Alfred

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Alfred »

of course don't refridgerate it for too long.

our butter has kind'a frozen which means i can only realy spread it on toast.
robinseggs

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by robinseggs »

Ahhhhhh there you are Alfred....now you're in the thick of it!!! Couldn't resist could you?!! lol....

Butter--a lovely topic!
Nature laughs Last
Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

Honey butter.....now theres a topic !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Alfred

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Alfred »

robinseggs wrote: Ahhhhhh there you are Alfred....now you're in the thick of it!!! Couldn't resist could you?!! lol....

Butter--a lovely topic!

i admit it i'm hooked to this thread, i actually don't fancy butter that much.

but none the less i'll go microwave some picklets and put some buter and cinnimon on them. :D
Wolverine

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Wolverine »

robinseggs wrote: What is "FatKids"?? You mean fat kids? My kids aren't fat! lol

......and I'm not either.....lol
no being a FatKid(one word) is a title, an attitude, a lifestyle, and a very discerning Members Only group.

We are Gluttons. Not just with food but with everything we do:

Work too long

Drink too much

Smoke a lot

play too often(with too many others)

when we finally sleep it's for days at a time.

We are excessive in every endeavor. That is what it is to be a FatKid.

Very few requirements(but more is better)

at least 25 years old

minimum of 20 pounds overweight

at least one bad habit.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

I hate to see this thread go. Butter is such a vast topic.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Galbally

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Galbally »

I havn't looked as this thread as frankly life is too short, but I will let you know that at one time the Irish government thought it so important that people had access to real butter that they issued the unemployed with butter vouchers, yes specific vouchers that were only meant to be used to purchase 2 pounds of butter a week, which is to my mind quite a lot of butter in one week, but then again, what would we do without it. Of course, this enlightened scheme was heavily abused by the unscrupulous, and butter vouchers were soon used to purchase that most important of Irish commodities, drink. Anyway, I think you can tell from this how importantly Irish people regard the yellow gold, oh gold is yellow as well isn't it, well the melty yellow gold.

As to putting it in the fridge, sacrilige, except in August.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
StupidCowboyTricks

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

Galbally wrote: I havn't looked as this thread as frankly life is too short, but I will let you know that at one time the Irish government thought it so important that people had access to real butter that they issued the unemployed with butter vouchers, yes specific vouchers that were only meant to be used to purchase 2 pounds of butter a week, which is to my mind quite a lot of butter in one week, but then again, what would we do without it. Of course, this enlightened scheme was heavily abused by the unscrupulous, and butter vouchers were soon used to purchase that most important of Irish commodities, drink. Anyway, I think you can tell from this how importantly Irish people regard the yellow gold, oh gold is yellow as well isn't it, well the melty yellow gold.

As to putting it in the fridge, sacrilige, except in August.
Can you believe that some people actually prefer margarine to butter?
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

Return to “General Chit Chat”