The Biker Wave

Discuss cruiser bikes, the lifestyle, clubs, and other issues.
along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Hubby and I rode our bike last weekend (perfect weather) and I just noticed that day the downhand wave that bikers use to greet each other. I think it's great.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
BabyRider

The Biker Wave

Post by BabyRider »

along-for-the-ride wrote: Hubby and I rode our bike last weekend (perfect weather) and I just noticed that day the downhand wave that bikers use to greet each other. I think it's great.
Very cool "hey brother" kinda gesture isn't it? It's a very, "if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand" sort of thing.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

BabyRider

The Biker Wave

Post by BabyRider »

Pinky wrote: Wow, you guys have a wave? We have a nod...it`s a kind of nod to the side though!
Yup, we have a wave. Your left hand goes down low, usually with the first two fingers up, so others behind you don't think you're signalling a lane change or something. Anytime we pass a biker coming the other way, we get or give the wave. It's pretty cool. :cool:
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

Kind of hard to nod with that big ole helmet on yer head.;)
BabyRider

The Biker Wave

Post by BabyRider »

along-for-the-ride wrote: Kind of hard to nod with that big ole helmet on yer head.;)
That and I don't like to take my eyes off the road for any amount of time!

I have given the nod when I was still shifting and couldn't use my shifting hand, but normally, it's the wave.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bryn Mawr

The Biker Wave

Post by Bryn Mawr »

along-for-the-ride wrote: Kind of hard to nod with that big ole helmet on yer head.;)

Worst of it is, the weight tends to close your eyes as you start to pull your head back - a kind of invoulenary blink.

Skid Lid must be too loose!
BabyRider

The Biker Wave

Post by BabyRider »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Worst of it is, the weight tends to close your eyes as you start to pull your head back - a kind of invoulenary blink.

Skid Lid must be too loose!
Oh heck yeah. A loose helmet...geeze, you might as well be wearing no helmet!! Does it pull up and kind of choke you at high speeds? If so, you're definitely going to have to tighten it up, or possibly, it's just the wrong style of helmet for you. I found that a skull cap under the helmet does wonders for keeping my brain bucket in place.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bryn Mawr

The Biker Wave

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: Not really...they tend to fit fairly snugly!

The wave sounds good though. Only trouble is, if I tried to do that here, I`d get a queue of people waiting to puch me because they`d probably think I stuck my fingers up at them, lol!:-3 :D

Bryn, I should say yours IS too loose!

Snug when I bought it :)

I really should buy new - it must be 4 years old by now and I don't like to use them much longer than that.

We don't use the wave here too much 'cos it's our throtle hand - I've used it on the continon though.
BabyRider

The Biker Wave

Post by BabyRider »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Snug when I bought it :)

I really should buy new - it must be 4 years old by now and I don't like to use them much longer than that.

We don't use the wave here too much 'cos it's our throtle hand - I've used it on the continon though.
Yeah, 4 years and the padding can get compressed and not fit as well. I've known too many bikers who've gotten into wrecks and the first thing they lose is the helmet. As you know, it's your most important piece of equipment.

I forget...over there you guys drive on the other side of the road. No wonder the wave doesn't work for you. :yh_blush
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

I found that earrings worn inside the helmet do not go together. Ouch!
along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

Hubby and I are still ridin'. When you're not riding, you think about all the reasons you shouldn't ride; like how vulnerable you are, like how strong the wind can be on your face, like that sudden rain shower, like how noisy the ride is. But....when you do straddle that bike and hit the road, you remember why you love to ride. What a rush! :D

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

Our Suzuki and Our Vulcan Nomad Vroom...vroom!

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/12/travel/mo ... ?hpt=hp_c4

Just some beautiful places in the world to ride.
Patsy Warnick

The Biker Wave

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Along

Have you two ever been to Sturgis?

That's just amazing.

Very cool experience - it's a must do.

It's cool you two ride. be safe

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

Patsy Warnick;1433558 wrote: Along

Have you two ever been to Sturgis?

That's just amazing.

Very cool experience - it's a must do.

It's cool you two ride. be safe

Patsy

Hey Patsy! :)

I've, of course, heard of Sturgis, but have never been there. They have a big motorcycle get-together down in Daytona, Florida...but have not been there either. We don't care for all the fan-fare, just like to ride.

Hubby and I are careful. The worst thing that happened to us is getting caught in a rainstorm and getting soaked to the skin while we were on vacation last month.:wah:
Patsy Warnick

The Biker Wave

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Along

We've just returned from a road trip to Yellowstone - Mt. Rushmore

and then your right next to this little town called Sturgis.

At hotels & motels we stayed we chatted with all these bikers - I was very surprised when some helmets came off and most drivers were Women.. ( my age)..!!:wah:

Town is set up & catered to bikers - very cool. very busy - bikes every where - groups of bikes are impressive. Bikes were beautiful - just a site - must see...

16, thous. bikes were expected the actually day of the rally. A lot of Celebs at Sturgis.

Fun trip - cool bikes

Patsy
Patsy Warnick

The Biker Wave

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oh, Ms. Biker

Rain storms - ever been through Texas during a rain storm?

OMG - it's blinding - we pulled over at a small Café with a group a soaking wet bikers.

Café put towels on the floor & handed all customers towels.

we were soaked going from the car to entrance - I was just happy to get off the road.

very scary blanket rain.

This was my P.S.:yh_rotfl

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

I saw this on FB and just thought I'd share...................

Attached files
High Threshold

The Biker Wave

Post by High Threshold »

along-for-the-ride;158483 wrote: Hubby and I rode our bike last weekend (perfect weather) and I just noticed that day the downhand wave that bikers use to greet each other. I think it's great.

Now that I'm a pensioner I notice that a lot of young guys wave at me when I'm on my bike:

Attached files
gmc

The Biker Wave

Post by gmc »

What I am noticing is a lot of OAP's that have taken up scootering again, reliving their yoof as a mod. I can't decide if it is funny or sad.
FourPart

The Biker Wave

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1464711 wrote: What I am noticing is a lot of OAP's that have taken up scootering again, reliving their yoof as a mod. I can't decide if it is funny or sad.
Not 'quite' an OAP yet, but am wondering if you're including me & Da Beasty in that.

A scooter is an ideal urban runabout. Nothing to do with fashion.
Bryn Mawr

The Biker Wave

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Sad as it is, after a lifetime as a biker and hating the very thought of a scooter, I'm now buying one for Crete.

Given the roads out here anything more than a 125 is a total waste and up to that size the scooters are safer than the alternative, a step through.

I'll be glad to get home though and back on the VFR for some decent riding :-)
FourPart

The Biker Wave

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr;1464841 wrote: Sad as it is, after a lifetime as a biker and hating the very thought of a scooter, I'm now buying one for Crete.

Given the roads out here anything more than a 125 is a total waste and up to that size the scooters are safer than the alternative, a step through.

I'll be glad to get home though and back on the VFR for some decent riding :-)
I was in town yesterday on Da Beasty, and all the way home there was I pottering away, immediately behind a gorgeous Gold Wing (I think Da Beasty was in love). However, for all the Flash & Additional Power he didn't get anywhere any faster. As a local runabout anything more than a 50cc is a bit of a waste. However, now that I've been offered this job which is a bit out of town I think I may have to start considering upgrading either to a 125 or a car.
Bryn Mawr

The Biker Wave

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1464920 wrote: I was in town yesterday on Da Beasty, and all the way home there was I pottering away, immediately behind a gorgeous Gold Wing (I think Da Beasty was in love). However, for all the Flash & Additional Power he didn't get anywhere any faster. As a local runabout anything more than a 50cc is a bit of a waste. However, now that I've been offered this job which is a bit out of town I think I may have to start considering upgrading either to a 125 or a car.

The Wing isn't built for speed, more for posing :-)

We tried a 50 in both step through and scooter but there just wasn't enough power to tackle the hills - especially two up.
along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

I took this photo while on our vacation in Cherokee, NC. Hubby and I thought this motorcycle trailer was cool, don't you?

Attached files
Wandrin

The Biker Wave

Post by Wandrin »

along-for-the-ride;1466012 wrote: I took this photo while on our vacation in Cherokee, NC. Hubby and I thought this motorcycle trailer was cool, don't you?

Very cool! Thanks for the chuckle. :wah:
along-for-the-ride

The Biker Wave

Hubby and I rode our bike on the Blue Ridge parkway last Weds. Awesome ride by the way! We stopped to catch the view and I took this photo of Hubby enjoying the scenery.

Attached files
Bryn Mawr

The Biker Wave

Post by Bryn Mawr »

along-for-the-ride;1466049 wrote: Hubby and I rode our bike on the Blue Ridge parkway last Weds. Awesome ride by the way! We stopped to catch the view and I took this photo of Hubby enjoying the scenery.

Stunning
Smaug

The Biker Wave

Post by Smaug »

along-for-the-ride;1466049 wrote: Hubby and I rode our bike on the Blue Ridge parkway last Weds. Awesome ride by the way! We stopped to catch the view and I took this photo of Hubby enjoying the scenery.

What a fantastic country you have for biking!:-6
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Return to “Biker Forum”