Religious Displays in Public

Odie

Post by Odie »

religious beliefs should not be displayed in public, you have your home to do so.

I do not care to see it!
Life is just to short for drama.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Hoss;973103 wrote: But everything I am and do is based on my religion.

If I hold the door open for you, treat you kindly, say 'good day', allow you to take the largest dessert first, and on and on, all of that is part of my religious upbringing. I consider those things ordinances and statutes.

I understand you are talking about praying and things of that nature but how far do we carry it?

I just think some people try and change who you are.

YOU are an exception!
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzy butt;973174 wrote: good grief woman !!!! the boy takes after his father he already has a big head!!! Don't make it bigger:wah::wah::wah:

ahhh but he is so cute!:D
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

abbey;973047 wrote: Sometimes it's just best to agree to disagree. :-6

Perhaps "sometimes"...I very big "sometimes"...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzy butt;973191 wrote: I'm just trying to think of religious displays .................What bout monks setting themselves alight ..................now that's what i call a religious diplay!!!!!

Too aggressive...

From my own understanding monks to whom set themselves alight are a bit too hot tempered...

The women monks that do this are hot though...
BTS

Post by BTS »

RedGlitter;969025 wrote: Boy, you're salty tonight, K.

You can't have people do everything they wish or you'd have chaos.

However as it pertains to this issue, does the bible not say "keep me in your heart?" There are those of us who take that to mean keep God a private matter. You may not get my logic here, but to me religion and displays of it are more private and personal than even sex. Deeply so.

Praying in public by the way is not about free speech. Well the vocal part may be, but it's freedom of action you're looking for and last I knew the Constitution didn't address that part.

For a lot of people it's how they are raised. That may be true for me also. It's not that we aren't religious, it's that our business with our God is that of no one else. Some things should be private and I think prayer is one of them.
RG

So a family of faith, out in public, eating their dinner, should cow-tow to you and forgo their private prayer at their own table because it should be private?

Did our founding fathers say we should be ASHAMED and never pray in public but then on the other hand say it is A-OK to have sex, Deeply so...in public (I think you said that)?

I feel pity for you, in that you are so ashamed of being religious (which I doubt you have a religious bone in your body from all your anti religious posts) and ashamed to show it in public, which is your right.

Talk about chaos, that, in public sex orgy you support may be a little chaotic too.......... I suppose even more chaotic than a family saying a blessing on their food...
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

JAB;973201 wrote: *a faint groan emanates from the peanut gallery*

I think all of the crisping would be a bit disturbing...

They should find a way to do it silently or don't do it at all...
Odie

Post by Odie »

JAB;973201 wrote: *a faint groan emanates from the peanut gallery*

well said!
BTS

Post by BTS »

Ted;970999 wrote: I simply cannot agree with Hoss on this one. Language is an ever developing thing. Words are constantly evolving and changing in their meaning. What is a swear word to one is simply not to another.

The F. word is a good example. In the dictionary it has dozens of meanings and many of them have nothing to do with sex. To the question "do you want your children . . ." I can only say they hear it almost everywhere they go; the school yard, with friends, on the street, in a friends house, on the bus etc. To complain about rap with sexual overtones is likewise something that is common. Do people think these children don't know anything? LOL.

The problem is not the language but the attempt to control everything in society. I used to work near a Christian school. According to the bus drivers it was not a positive experience. The kids were so controlled during the day that all hell broke loose when they got on the bus. These children will find integration into regular society very difficult. You cannot control your child when he/she is out of your sight so it is better to be a guide and trust that they will learn from the environment in which they are raised. Such control can lead to mental health problems. I have seen this on more than one occasion.

Raise your children to be honest, decent folks with a feeling for justice and compassion and one has done well. Do not shelter your child from the real world.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Why does it not suprise me "ol holier than though Ted:-6", that you would take a stand on the immoral side of a moral issue?
BTS

Post by BTS »

Ted;971011 wrote: Odie:-6

Interesting.

We should not think that Christianity is not in any way political. Jesus was very much a non-violent resister. He was opposed to oppressive regime of his day and the collaboration of the temple leaders with Rome. He was crucified for being a social disturber as well as treason. He was promoter of justice and compassion. As a promoter of justice he was opposed to anything which created an unjust society, including Rome.

Shalom

Ted:-6
And he cussed too, which is A-OK in your book?

Huh Ted
BTS

Post by BTS »

Hoss;971057 wrote: LOL! Wait till he comes back with his Army of angels! You're going to see Justice! Whew Doggie your going to see Justice!

Save your breath Hossy.............

Ted don't believe in no second coming
BTS

Post by BTS »

K.Snyder;973205 wrote: I think all of the crisping would be a bit disturbing...

They should find a way to do it silently or don't do it at all...

Hey.........no CRACKS fron the peanut gallery...........

Got it?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Hoss;973235 wrote: LOL, it's ok, we know God has a sense of humor too. :wah:

After all, She created buttocks!!

:D
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

From out beneath some little known rock, BTS splutted as usual without thinking first:

I feel pity for you, in that you are so ashamed of being religious (which I doubt you have a religious bone in your body from all your anti religious posts) and ashamed to show it in public, which is your right.

And Red shakes her head in futility and replies as if toward an errant child:

Put a lid on it BTS. My religion or lack thereof (which you might know about had you ever properly read my posts) is not your business. It is very unclassy to display that stuff in public, what should be between you and your God. I'm ashamed of nothing. I choose not to let people in on my personal business.

As for that other blather you splutted out, kindly slow down and use some reading comprehension if you want to form an opinion about what I say. You make no sense.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I'm really trying to think of a response here, but does anyone mind if I hang a rubber ducky from the tree? Did I mention, I'm tired?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Hoss;973310 wrote: Go to bed! that's what I'm gonna do, this has been a long day of studying. I'm wiped!

Night qsducks!

Night night. Got kids to go off to school in the am myself. Ducky
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

RedGlitter;972939 wrote: I didn't know swearing was peculiar to Americans. :rolleyes:

it depends on who you are i think, different ideas for different people i guess, now i don't cuss, don't like to hear other people do it and most of my family doesn't do it either!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Hope6;973320 wrote: it depends on who you are i think, different ideas for different people i guess, now i don't cuss, don't like to hear other people do it and most of my family doesn't do it either!

Good night my friends. I'm pooped.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Hoss;973163 wrote: LOL, on our farm in the Midwest the church bells clang at dawn Sunday, and then 30 minutes prior to worship service, then as the doxology plays for services to start.

I don't mind of someone displays a religious activity so long as it does not interfere with the normal course of people. I can see it if I was trying to eat a meal in a restaurant and one family tried to get everyone to pray with them that would be where it would get to be forcing your beliefs on others.

we had chimes put in our church a few years ago, they play several times each day, not just on Sunday, and can be heard all over the neighborhood, to my knowledge we haven't had one complaint.

i agree with what you said, a quiet prayer over your own food isn't hurting anybody, it's not like you're trying to get everybody to pray!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hope6;973320 wrote: it depends on who you are i think, different ideas for different people i guess, now i don't cuss, don't like to hear other people do it and most of my family doesn't do it either!

Right Hope. I appreciate that. I just thought it was odd to presume swearing was an American problem. As opposed to a human problem in any country.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

qsducks;973322 wrote: Good night my friends. I'm pooped.

Goodnight darlin! i'm heading off to bed too! :cool:
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

RedGlitter;973330 wrote: Right Hope. I appreciate that. I just thought it was odd to presume swearing was an American problem. As opposed to a human problem in any country.

You're exactly right! there are people who cuss in every country not just America!
BTS

Post by BTS »

RedGlitter;973298 wrote: From out beneath some little known rock, BTS splutted as usual without thinking first:

And Red shakes her head in futility and replies as if toward an errant child:

Put a lid on it BTS. My religion or lack thereof (which you might know about had you ever properly read my posts) is not your business. It is very unclassy to display that stuff in public, what should be between you and your God. I'm ashamed of nothing. I choose not to let people in on my personal business.

As for that other blather you splutted out, kindly slow down and use some reading comprehension if you want to form an opinion about what I say. You make no sense.

I am typing slowwwww so you might comprehend mo better..........RG ;)

So, I ask again, is it ok to have sex in public as you suppose opposed to a family prayer in a cafe or restaurant?

Quote RG:

"but to me religion and displays of it are more private and personal than even sex"

Simple question to your statement I think.

BTS crawls back under his rock and cowers from the queen

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

BTS, even when you **** me off, you sometimes crack me up. :wah:

No, I don't think it's cool to have sex in a cafe or public place in view of people. That was MY POINT. That to me, as private as sex is, stuff between me and God is even more so. It's no one's business. Just us. But if we're all going to do whatever we want and everyone else be damned, then why not have sex in a diner booth? See the facetiousness there? Now do you understand what I had said??
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Red Glitter and Hope - maybe I didn't express that very well. I didn't mean that Americans swear/cuss more. I expect they do it less! I do think they are more sensitive to the use of cusswords/swearwords than say Europeans or Aussies. This is a cultural thing, I expect.

Anyway, it's way off from the OP. And I really am very supportive of the rubber duckie approach.

:-6
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

BTS

Post by BTS »

RedGlitter;973342 wrote: BTS, even when you **** me off, you sometimes crack me up. :wah:

Now do you understand what I had said??

No........

But I give you win

Return to “General Religious Discussions”