All Members please read

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
ButterflyPrincess

All Members please read

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

:oRedGlitter;947133 wrote: Inline linking (also known as hotlinking, leeching, piggy-backing, direct linking, offsite image grabs and bandwidth theft) is the use of a linked object, often an image, from one site into a web page belonging to a second site. The second site is said to have an inline link to the site where the object is located.

If you are on a website with say, a penguin on it and you want to post the picture of the penguin here, the correct thing to do would be to copy that penguin to your computer, by right clicking and selecting "Save image as..."

The wrong thing to do, hotlinking, would be to copy the penguin right off that page and then paste it in your post at FG.

Maybe Chezzie can explain better. I'm not the best at it.

By the way, probably most of us have hotlinked at least a few times. I did it regularly myself. We mods are not trying to make any members feel bad for this so please know that. We're just doing what Tombstone (the man who runs FG) has asked us to do. :) The reason being, when you hotlink an image, it's called bandwidth stealing. I don't know enough about bandwidth to explain it properly but basically, it's making the owner of that site pay for your use of his graphics.

thanks for this Red... :oI've done that but i won't anymore.. promise.. oops
Milly

All Members please read

Post by Milly »

I often use a smiley site that offers free direct linking to all of their graphics..... I am not stealing bandwidth nor am I causing any possible conflict on the forum by doing so.... is it OK to hotlink if you have permission from the actual site to do so?
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

scouse;998239 wrote: I often use a smiley site that offers free direct linking to all of their graphics..... I am not stealing bandwidth nor am I causing any possible conflict on the forum by doing so.... is it OK to hotlink if you have permission from the actual site to do so?

My knowledge of this is if the person who owns the media file you are embedding into your own website gives permission to hotlink, then nothing is wrong. Sadly, this is not usually the case.

If you don't have permission, remote linking to any media and / or program file is theft.

Yes, theft.. even if it's a clipart archive offering free images, a music server giving away free tunes or a website with freeware... Unless the original website specifically states otherwise, hotlinking is stealing.

"Wait a minute" I hear you say, "I didn't steal anything, the file is right where the owner left it!" OK, let me explain this a bit. Each time a file is called from A server you get what is called a data transfer request, or another way of saying it.. we have bandwidth used.

Bandwidth is a bit like gas for a car. Every time you drive (or a file is loaded), a bit of fuel (or bandwidth) is used up. Now imagine if each night one of your neighbours siphoned out a tiny bit for their own car... then other neighbors thought "I'll just take a couple drops as well"... by morning your fuel tank is empty. Your neighbors each thought taking just a tiny bit would be unnoticeable.. but added all up it left nothing for you.

Serving up images is not only usually websites biggest consumer of bandwidth, when others remotely link to them (ie. embed them in their websites from others servers without our permission), they have to pay... bandwidth is not free! Most websites have a limited amount of data transfer and the website owners either have to cough up extra money each month to pay the fees, or face shutting down.

When people link directly to a media file (gif, jpg, png, mov etc.), the webmaster of the original site has to pay the fees. When someone links to a page on that same website, the webmaster still pays fees but the content is shown in the form the designer (and copyright holder) wished, and they may be able to cover costs by displaying advertising on the page.

Super simply put... Hot Linking to media files = bad... Linking to pages = good ;-)

Eventually every website owner that faces this dilemma has to make a decision. Close up shop... or fight back? Since their files would now be embedded into your website, they are free to do with those files as they wish... and most will.

Some things webmasters can do to hotlinkers:

Rename the file and give the hotlinker a broken file.

Replace it with a very nasty file (think of whatever you'd most dislike seeing on your page and I can guarantee the website owner with the original content can imagine something ten times worse.)

Replace it with a notice that hotlinking is not allowed and an advertisement for their own website.

Contact the hotlinker's website host and submit a copyright / terms of service abuse report. In most cases this will result in the hotlinker losing their website.

So by now you (should) realize why hotlinking is wrong, but what if your web site host doesn't allow images stored? That's an easy one!

Either find a better host, (here are free subdomain hosts and a list of free domain hosts) that will allow image uploading.

Option number 2, keep your current host and use a free image host that allows hotlinking.

Can't save files?

If for some reason you can't save a file, or perhaps not on your own computer and find an image that you want, there's the Transload Service that will upload it for you, or you could always email yourself the file for later use.

Oh, and please, before you take any file whether it's an image, sound file or anything else.. check that it is allowed to be used elsewhere. Just because something is on a website does not mean that anyone is free to take it! There are copyright laws online as well.

© Copyright Webweaver.nu 1998 - 2008

Some members are still hotlinking, I posted the above hoping to re-educate peeps on why it's bad news for Site owners like Tombstone and the real threat of if every hotlinked here, the site could get closed down.
Milly

All Members please read

Post by Milly »

:-2 Blimey, that was a whole lot of answer and you didn't answer my question :wah: I only asked if I was allowed to use graphics from a smilie site.... I wasn't talking about media files.... just linking to graphics from a free website which gives permission for them to be used :wah:

I'll just PM you the link to the site Chezzie and you can tell me if it's OK ;)

Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

LOL I realised I went off on one there but I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, soz.

I did answer your question in my first sentence.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scouse

I often use a smiley site that offers free direct linking to all of their graphics..... I am not stealing bandwidth nor am I causing any possible conflict on the forum by doing so.... is it OK to hotlink if you have permission from the actual site to do so?

My knowledge of this is if the person who owns the media file you are embedding into your own website gives permission to hotlink, then nothing is wrong. Sadly, this is not usually the case.

I have also left a message for someone to let me know if it's ok to use the bbcode on the smiley sites for the smilies and as soon as Its answered i shall let you know.

Most freebie sites who allow you to take the images ask you to right click and save to your pc or use the bbcode. If you are just right clicking on the image> properties and copy and pasting the link, that's still hotlinking
Milly

All Members please read

Post by Milly »

Chezzie;999338 wrote: LOL I realised I went off on one there but I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, soz.

I did answer your question in my first sentence.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scouse

I have also left a message for someone to let me know if it's ok to use the bbcode on the smiley sites for the smilies and as soon as Its answered i shall let you know.

Most freebie sites who allow you to take the images ask you to right click and save to your pc or use the bbcode. If you are just right clicking on the image> properties and copy and pasting the link, that's still hotlinking

You'll see from the site I sent you that that isn't the case hun ;)

You copy and paste the the addy in the same way you do photobucket creating a direct link ;)

Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

scouse;999340 wrote: You'll see from the site I sent you that that isn't the case hun ;)

You copy and paste the the addy in the same way you do photobucket creating a direct link ;)

Are you doing that via the bbcode or just copy and paste because I just did a test one from the website you gave me and it didnt http://bestsmileys.com/hawkeyes/2.gif

this is the bbcode which the site asks you to use on forums

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/hawkeyes/2.gif" alt="" />

Like I tried to explain in my pm to you, Im not 100% on the smiley allowance on FG and im waiting for clarification hun, hopefully someone in the know will answer me soon:D
Milly

All Members please read

Post by Milly »

Hmmmmm.... Now I've just tried to and it 'does' infact [img] the link :-3

Are you then right clicking on the graphic to gain it's location?.... because even if you do that with a photobucket hosted pic it wont show the img tags

Seeing as you've already posted the site I can discuss it here now.... LOL

you'll see from the site HERE that the code for message boards to be copy and pasted reads - [img ] url here [ /img] just as you do with photobucket.

Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

scouse;999356 wrote:

Hmmmmm.... Now I've just tried to and it 'does' infact [img] the link :-3

Are you then right clicking on the graphic to gain it's location?.... because even if you do that with a photobucket hosted pic it wont show the img tags

Seeing as you've already posted the site I can discuss it here now.... LOL

you'll see from the site HERE that the code for message boards to be copy and pasted reads - [img ] url here [ /img] just as you do with photobucket.

If thats the case, I cant see why not but Im not expert and im learning about all this as I go along myself, hopefully the experts here will give us the answer soon...

p.s. Its a great smiley site:D
Milly

All Members please read

Post by Milly »

Chezzie;999360 wrote: If thats the case, I cant see why not but Im not expert and im learning about all this as I go along myself, hopefully the experts here will give us the answer soon...

p.s. Its a great smiley site:D

Fab isn't it ;)

Nomad

All Members please read

Post by Nomad »

Chezzie;946436 wrote: Now their are alot more mods here we are doing a general tidy up on the forum.

As some members may be aware, moderators have been removing "hot linked" images from their posts.

We would just like to clarify that hot linking as always been against FG rules and reasons why can be read here:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=12202

Any member who has an image removed from their post will be informed with a friendly pm.

Their are numerous image hosting sites that people can use to host their pictures and images. You dont need to clutter up your own hard drive.

Here are some links for you to try.

http://www.imageshack.us/

http://photobucket.com/

http://www.imagehosting.com/

http://www.picoodle.com/

Thank you for your time:)

THIS IS CRAP !

I wont take it.

Do you hear me ?

I wont !!!
I AM AWESOME MAN
Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

Nomad;999385 wrote: THIS IS CRAP !

I wont take it.

Do you hear me ?

I wont !!!

Ok sweetie:-4
kazalala

All Members please read

Post by kazalala »

you got yer anorak off now chez?:-3:wah::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
OpenMind

All Members please read

Post by OpenMind »

Chezzie;946436 wrote: Now their are alot more mods here we are doing a general tidy up on the forum.

As some members may be aware, moderators have been removing "hot linked" images from their posts.

We would just like to clarify that hot linking as always been against FG rules and reasons why can be read here:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=12202

Any member who has an image removed from their post will be informed with a friendly pm.

Their are numerous image hosting sites that people can use to host their pictures and images. You dont need to clutter up your own hard drive.

Here are some links for you to try.

http://www.imageshack.us/

http://photobucket.com/

http://www.imagehosting.com/

http://www.picoodle.com/

Thank you for your time:)

I have to hot-link the smilies. Is that not allowed then? Do I have to download the smiley to an image hosting site first?
Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

OpenMind;1034208 wrote: I have to hot-link the smilies. Is that not allowed then? Do I have to download the smiley to an image hosting site first?

what smiley OM?

Milly asked this question earlier in the thread as she was using a smiley site that allowed you to use their smileys. I said id find out, I asked the question but Im still waiting on an answer. :rolleyes:
OpenMind

All Members please read

Post by OpenMind »

Chezzie;1034226 wrote: what smiley OM?

Milly asked this question earlier in the thread as she was using a smiley site that allowed you to use their smileys. I said id find out, I asked the question but Im still waiting on an answer. :rolleyes:

I mean the FG smilies, Chezzie. I have to copy and paste them to use them. Like this..:thinking:

Can you see the difference?

Nor can I.

I never had this problem when I used FG before going off-line. Since coming back online, I have reformatted my PC three times. This is due to things I have done to it. I am a PC abuser (I admit it). Despite this, I still have to copy and paste the smilies. It's no big deal though. I'm not that bothered except that sometimes I don't bother using them. Which is no bother at all.:D
Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

OpenMind;1034326 wrote: I mean the FG smilies, Chezzie. I have to copy and paste them to use them. Like this..:thinking:

Can you see the difference?

Nor can I.

I never had this problem when I used FG before going off-line. Since coming back online, I have reformatted my PC three times. This is due to things I have done to it. I am a PC abuser (I admit it). Despite this, I still have to copy and paste the smilies. It's no big deal though. I'm not that bothered except that sometimes I don't bother using them. Which is no bother at all.:D

ahhhh ok, your fine OM, sorry you have to copy and paste them though:-3

I shall google and see if I can find a solution:D
OpenMind

All Members please read

Post by OpenMind »

Chezzie;1034360 wrote: ahhhh ok, your fine OM, sorry you have to copy and paste them though:-3

I shall google and see if I can find a solution:D

Don't worry too much about it Chezzie. As I said, it doesn't bother me.:)
Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

OpenMind;1034366 wrote: Don't worry too much about it Chezzie. As I said, it doesn't bother me.:)

its a bummer its happened now, since we get 26 smilies per post:wah::wah::wah::wah:
OpenMind

All Members please read

Post by OpenMind »

Chezzie;1034368 wrote: its a bummer its happened now, since we get 26 smilies per post:wah::wah::wah::wah:

Hey, quit rubbing it in.:(:yh_shame

:D:-6[15 minutes later]:confused::thinking::rolleyes:[etc]
Kathy Ellen

All Members please read

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Chezzie;1034368 wrote: its a bummer its happened now, since we get 26 smilies per post:wah::wah::wah::wah:

Chez, I just noticed that we get more smilies...when did that happen, and do we really get 26 or are ya jokin:p

Sorry OpenMind...I hate to always cut/paste...bummer:(
OpenMind

All Members please read

Post by OpenMind »

Kathy Ellen;1034382 wrote: Chez, I just noticed that we get more smilies...when did that happen, and do we really get 26 or are ya jokin:p

No worries. You're too nice to get cross with.:-6
Chezzie

All Members please read

Post by Chezzie »

OpenMind;1034377 wrote: Hey, quit rubbing it in.:(:yh_shame

:D:-6[15 minutes later]:confused::thinking::rolleyes:[etc]

heh heh

Kathy Ellen;1034382 wrote: Chez, I just noticed that we get more smilies...when did that happen, and do we really get 26 or are ya jokin:p

nope not joking babes:-4:-4:-4
ekotter

All Members please read

Post by ekotter »

Useful info. Good to know.
trang101

All Members please read

Post by trang101 »

Such a very amazing link!
[link removed]
Rapunzel

All Members please read

Post by Rapunzel »

trang101;1248506 wrote: Such a very amazing link!

[link removed]

Not quite such an amazing link after all then, huh? :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

All Members please read

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Rapunzel;1248524 wrote: Not quite such an amazing link after all then, huh? :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
More the Incredible vanishing link

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

All Members please read

Post by Odie »

oscar;1248525 wrote: More the Incredible vanishing link

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

damn aliens again!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
AussiePam

All Members please read

Post by AussiePam »

These little postings have been like a shower of meteorites lately. Some bright spark has discovered that they appear to have a better chance of being seen if they make their single spamlet look like a comment in an existing thread, rather than starting a thread (more visible to moderators) all on their ownsome. Maybe this means that even with the link removed they score some kind of hit count, and get paid.. I dunno. Like outsourced telemarketers, the poor baskets probably more than earn their one cent.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

All Members please read

Post by Oscar Namechange »

AussiePam;1248542 wrote: These little postings have been like a shower of meteorites lately. Some bright spark has discovered that they appear to have a better chance of being seen if they make their single spamlet look like a comment in an existing thread, rather than starting a thread (more visible to moderators) all on their ownsome. Maybe this means that even with the link removed they score some kind of hit count, and get paid.. I dunno. Like outsourced telemarketers, the poor baskets probably more than earn their one cent.

The mighty Oscar is on the prowl waiting to report them spammers. Ha.. they didn't expect some-one in Blighty Land being awake at 4 am to report them :yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “News and Announcements”