Help

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

Im tiling the fireplace this weekend. Ive never tiled anything before so Im apprehensive. Im using 6" tiles with a 2" bullnose border, that means there will be some wall exposed on each side, after grouting there will be about 5" left over.

1st question is will that look weird not going all the way to the edge of the wall ?

The tile will be going up to the bottom of the mantel. If I have to cut a tile should the cut be at the top or bottom ?

Also should I remove the baseboard and cut it to length to butt up against the tile or should I leave the baseboard as is and tile to the top of it ?

Duh !

(The gold trim is coming off, so the tile will be to the inside edge.)

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
abbey

Help

Post by abbey »

Are you not supposed to start in the middle so that if you have a cut tile it would be equal top & bottom?
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

abbey wrote: Are you not supposed to start in the middle so that if you have a cut tile it would be equal top & bottom?

I think so. :o
I AM AWESOME MAN
BabyRider

Help

Post by BabyRider »

I'm trying to picture what you're meaning here, Nomsie. Are you saying that there will be tile, surrounded by a border, but the border will not hit the edges of the wall?

It sounds like that might look a little strange, but I'm not positive I fully understand what it will look like....
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

BabyRider

Help

Post by BabyRider »

Also, are those the tiles you have chosen propped on top of the fireplace? That's going to look sharp!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

abbey

Help

Post by abbey »

Nomad wrote:

1st question is will that look weird not going all the way to the edge of the wall ?

Why not blue tack a row of tiles across to give you some idea how it would look?
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

BabyRider wrote: I'm trying to picture what you're meaning here, Nomsie. Are you saying that there will be tile, surrounded by a border, but the border will not hit the edges of the wall?

It sounds like that might look a little strange, but I'm not positive I fully understand what it will look like....

Right. But Im not married to that idea. I was trying to avoid having to make a small cut on a tile, if I used 2, 6" tiles and a 2" border with the grout I will exceed the edge of the wall so Id have to cut, I thought that might look weird. Having a cut when theres only 2 full tiles up on each side. Arny, Ill try to lay it out but of course it would be on the floor not the wall so being a nimrod Im not sure Ill get that right.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

ArnoldLayne wrote: ....also try to judge if you will have a tile starting either side of the centre line or one tile centered on the centre line, if that makes sense

I understand what your saying but how do you account for the grout lines ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
BabyRider

Help

Post by BabyRider »

Nomad wrote: Right. But Im not married to that idea. I was trying to avoid having to make a small cut on a tile, if I used 2, 6" tiles and a 2" border with the grout I will exceed the edge of the wall so Id have to cut, I thought that might look weird. Having a cut when theres only 2 full tiles up on each side. Arny, Ill try to lay it out but of course it would be on the floor not the wall so being a nimrod Im not sure Ill get that right.
Also...no problems with those types of tile and the heat factor from the fireplace?
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

abbey

Help

Post by abbey »

Nomad wrote: I understand what your saying but how do you account for the grout lines ?Use spacers when you lay them out the same you would when you tile.
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Nomes, when the tile reach the end of the fireplace will it return into the wall ? What is that measurement ?

Can you not fill that out with a piece of wall board , leaving just the right amount to allow for the thickness plus adhesive, to enable you to return a tile/piece of tile to the wall.

Im getting a headache now. I guess the tile should go to both edges and Ill just have to make a small cut on both sides rather than filling it out with drywall. No the tile wont wrap around as you cant really see it. I believe the adhesive I got is the right kind and br I think tile is tile. :confused:
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

What about the baseboards ? The tile on top or the tile to the carpet ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
BabyRider

Help

Post by BabyRider »

Nomad wrote: What about the baseboards ? The tile on top or the tile to the carpet ?
Oh, definitely baseboards. That will give it a much more finished look.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

flopstock wrote: what's bullnose trim?

Its a rounded finished edge as opposed to a ceramic cut edge.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

Well thanks guys. Just in case I saw something off and bleed to death Ill say so long now.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

ArnoldLayne wrote: We want pictures of the finished article. With the blood wiped off of course

Ok, thanks for the help.

Stumpy
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

SnoozeControl wrote: Nomad, I hope you'll include a photo of your stump. :yh_angel

Your not fooling anyone with the little kissy angel sugar:p
I AM AWESOME MAN
K.Snyder

Help

Post by K.Snyder »

Just as long as its not purple and gold, or people will leave your house in disgust. :yh_sick

Teams are gearing up, will them chumps be ready?

I think they will, but one thing is for sure, if by some miracle they make it to the super bowl, they will have to beat dem Bengals..........

HA!

Fat chance.

:wah:

:yh_rotfl
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

K.Snyder wrote: Just as long as its not purple and gold, or people will leave your house in disgust. :yh_sick

Teams are gearing up, will them chumps be ready?

I think they will, but one thing is for sure, if by some miracle they make it to the super bowl, they will have to beat dem Bengals..........

HA!

Fat chance.

:wah:

:yh_rotfl

Im getting itchy too
I AM AWESOME MAN
cherandbuster

Help

Post by cherandbuster »

ArnoldLayne wrote: A mate of mine managed to cut all his fingers off in a home improvement project.

The doctor said if he had bought his fingers in they may have been able to sew them back on

" I would have done " he said " But I couldnt pick them up" :rolleyes:

Arnie Baby

I think that's very funny!! :D
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

CARLA

Help

Post by CARLA »

Good god Arnold I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard...:wah: Poor guy !!

[QUOTE]A mate of mine managed to cut all his fingers off in a home improvement project.

The doctor said if he had bought his fingers in they may have been able to sew them back on

" I would have done " he said " But I couldnt pick them up"

NOMAD It will come out perfect I'm sure pictures please, just take your time and know that it can all be taken down if you don't like it and start all over again..:-3
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Help

Post by flopstock »

So, did we ever get pictures from this project?:thinking:

:Dprickly - my butt:D

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Help

Post by flopstock »

bump:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

sunny104

Help

Post by sunny104 »

yeah, we want pictures! :D
Nomad

Help

Post by Nomad »

flopstock;977903 wrote: So, did we ever get pictures from this project?:thinking:

:Dprickly - my butt:D

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Why do we need pictures when a thousand words are worth one picture. :thinking:
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Home Management”