Welcome!

Choosing the right pet. Questions & Advice.
ForumGarden

Welcome!

Post by ForumGarden »

Thank you for visiting Choosing A Pet.

You may start a topic (or poll) at any time, reply to an existing topic, track messages of interest, and send private messages to other users.
BabyRider

Welcome!

Post by BabyRider »

I absolutely LOVE this sub-forum. There are many things to consider when choosing any pet, and also when choosing a dog BREED. Many breeds do not fit in with certain situations, and choosing a dog because of it's looks is one of the biggest mistakes new pet owners make. A breed should be researched and fitted to each individual owners lifestyle, home situation, children's ages, and many other factors. Please do not make the decision of a pet lightly, as it is a long, committed relationship.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

nvalleyvee

Welcome!

Post by nvalleyvee »

I used to work in the pet industry. I spent sooooooooooooooooooo much time asking people about their time at home and what they were and were NOT willing to do for a potential pet. A hamster for a 3 year old - NOT. A fish tank to teach responsibility to a 10 year old - maybe. A puppy or kitten for an 8 year old - only if the parents are going assume responsiblity. A rat for a 12 year old - only if the parents thought they could handle the feeding and maintenance. A bird - well I hate to tell you but they make a LOT OF NOISE. A pet that WAS NOT being used as a teaching tool for any child - only if the parent would take responsibility. Dang!!!! I took my job seriously. We used to take so many pets back for adoption because they were not the right pet for the child or the home BUT you could never convince the parent at the time of purchase.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
robinseggs

Welcome!

Post by robinseggs »

It is quite sad how many parents buy their children pets and say it will be the child's responsibility....kids are kids and some poor helpless little animal has to suffer because a kid got tired of it or it was too much to handle! Makes me sick. We have always had guinea pigs in the house and I have always assumed all the responsibility of their care even though my 8 yr old is old enough to help. I bought my pets because I want my children to appreciate and love animals for what they are. NOT to use the animal to teach my kids a lesson.
Nature laughs Last
adelcity

Welcome!

Post by adelcity »

Sad it appears the whole world is the same. Pets as gifts today then a burden and chore tomorrow. Pets need love and lots of attention. You need to be prepared to give them lots of both.
chonsigirl

Welcome!

Post by chonsigirl »

I am getting a bunny Saturday, it was one of those lovely creatures choosen as a pet by someone, and turned into the shelter because it was no longer wanted. It will be wanted in my home!
Marie5656

Welcome!

Post by Marie5656 »

robinseggs wrote: It is quite sad how many parents buy their children pets and say it will be the child's responsibility....kids are kids and some poor helpless little animal has to suffer because a kid got tired of it or it was too much to handle! Makes me sick. We have always had guinea pigs in the house and I have always assumed all the responsibility of their care even though my 8 yr old is old enough to help. I bought my pets because I want my children to appreciate and love animals for what they are. NOT to use the animal to teach my kids a lesson.

I agree. I had someone get a bit miffed at me when I told her that a chinchilla is not an appropriate pet for a 6 year old!! I have learned that they do require alot of special handling, and care. More than a 6 year old could cope with. Plus, a chin is not a little cuddle bun..they are active and do not like being held. Plus they can live 10 or more years! I usually ask folks if they are willing to commit for that amount of time. Usually they say no.
BabyRider

Welcome!

Post by BabyRider »

Marie5656 wrote: I agree. I had someone get a bit miffed at me when I told her that a chinchilla is not an appropriate pet for a 6 year old!! I have learned that they do require alot of special handling, and care. More than a 6 year old could cope with. Plus, a chin is not a little cuddle bun..they are active and do not like being held. Plus they can live 10 or more years! I usually ask folks if they are willing to commit for that amount of time. Usually they say no.
A chin for a 6 year old??!?!!!?! I'm glad you talked them out of that, or were you able to? It's like I said before...people buy pets based on how "cute" they are, and that is so NOT the way to determine what type of pet is suitable. Made me absolutely nuts when I was in animal medicine. :-5
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

pantsonfire321@aol.com

Welcome!

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

I have been given quite a few animal's that people could'nt carry on looking after, like my disabled cat and a King snake my friend kept for about 6 year's then one day she decided she did'nt want it any more so she gave it to us .We were also given an African grey, i've never kept parrot's before so this was a bit more of a challenge... i went out bought a couple of book's and to be honest we've just had to be patient and persevere - he IS a little **** but then being plucked from the wild would'nt suit every one . I do hope that with time and patience it will all be worth it .....i don't believe in giving up on an animal and to me to pass a difficult animal on to somebody else is just passing the problem on it does'nt actually help the animal .

In some way's i love animal's more than people ..i do have more than the average family but to me their an extention of my family and i get great pleasure from them. I'm in no way an expert because there is alway's so much more to learn and i find it so sad that people just go out and buy pet's without really finding out their pet's need's...:) i'm also a sucker for a good sob story.
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Marie5656

Welcome!

Post by Marie5656 »

BabyRider wrote: A chin for a 6 year old??!?!!!?! I'm glad you talked them out of that, or were you able to?

Babyrider..yes I think I did. I gave the person my copy of a new owners guide to chins..as well as links to a couple of websites. Told her to read the book, and check the site..and then decide. I think she realized that one has to look beyond the cuteness factor when choosing a pet.

Return to “Choosing a Pet”