Wood Floors - How do I get the shine back?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

We had wood floors installed at our home and I'm just wondering what is a good product or a homemade one of making them shine like they did when we first put them in. They seem dull. All suggestions welcome.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

qsducks;823146 wrote: We had wood floors installed at our home and I'm just wondering what is a good product or a homemade one of making them shine like they did when we first put them in. They seem dull. All suggestions welcome.

Not sure about wood Ducks but I use white vinegar on my tiles & they are always shiny.

Try a test patch somewhere & see how it goes.:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

Murphy's Oil Soap for hardwood works well.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I use the Pledge to clean the floor and the Method to replenish oils. The Method leaves a subtle almond scent.

I apply with a microfiber mop.

Target has both products.

I AM AWESOME MAN
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

1. How long has the floor been installed.

2.Who installed it.

3. what kind of hard wood is it

4. There may be a Warranty on it

5. If installed by the home owner check with Lowes on line they have every thing you will need to make your floor look like new again.

Good Luck on the floor.
Lon

Post by Lon »

How about a good coat of Clear Varnish?
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Nomad;823270 wrote: I use the Pledge to clean the floor and the Method to replenish oils. The Method leaves a subtle almond scent.

I apply with a microfiber mop.

Target has both products.

Yea Pledge is good I use it on my wooden floors
FOC THREAD PART 1
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

kayleneaussie;823351 wrote: Yea Pledge is good I use it on my wooden floors

I use Pledge wood magic
FOC THREAD PART 1
coral

Post by coral »

Vinegar can help, But I have heard people disagree on that, believing the vinegar is too acidic and can break down the finish ultimately.
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;823146 wrote: We had wood floors installed at our home and I'm just wondering what is a good product or a homemade one of making them shine like they did when we first put them in. They seem dull. All suggestions welcome.

Look for hardwood floor polish

hardwood floor shine
Life is just to short for drama.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

There's a new product out for hardwood floors that's supposed to bring back the shine. I want to say it's in the Orange Glo family.

I usually used Pledge or Murpheys oil soap on my floors.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Sheryl;967484 wrote: There's a new product out for hardwood floors that's supposed to bring back the shine.

No theres not.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

How does one know if the wood floor has a wax finish or a polyurethane finish on it ? They say never wax a poly finish. Id like to tackle this project today so Id like an immediate answer from a qualified wood floor expert in the next 10 min or so please.

Its 4:25 am now. Go.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Its almost 4:50 am now.

If theres not a reply by 5 am then...........well.................you'll see.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Sorry It's late...damn Time Difference:sneaky:

This guide will explain the different services finishes: Polyurethane, Swedish Finishes, Water-based, Varnish and Lacquer, and much more!

There are two principal types of finishes used on wood floors--penetrating seals and surface finishes. Each requires about the same care; but when it comes to removing stains or restoring the finish in heavy traffic areas, methods vary. It is important for you to know how your floors were finished so you can decide on the proper floor care product. Your builder, realtor or flooring installer/finisher should be able to tell you what type of finish was used.

It will also be helpful to know the brand names of the finishing products, particularly the final finish coat. If your floors are factory finished note the name of the manufacturer. Keep this information in your household data file to help you determine the proper floor care products.

As a general rule you can be sure your plank or strip floor was finished at the factory if it has V-shaped grooves or bevels along the edges where the boards join and sometimes where the ends butt. This may be only a slightly rolled edge, or a healthy bevel. NOTE: Plank flooring which has been custom finished at the job may have beveled/grooved edges.

If the floor has no bevels, it probably was custom finished on site after installation. To determine what kind of finish was used, call the builder or floor finisher if possible. When in doubt, try smudging the finish with a finger or scraping the finish with a fingernail or sharp instrument in a hidden area or corner of the room. If the smudge is noticeable or no clear finish material is scraped up, the floors have likely been waxed and maintenance should follow the guideline for penetrating sealer with wax.

If no noticeable smudge is evident and/or clear finish was scraped up, follow the maintenance procedure for a surface finish.

Surface Finishes

Polyurethane, "Swedish" finish, Moisture cure urethane, and Water-based urethanes, to name a few, are blends of synthetic resins, plasticizers, and other film-forming ingredients which remain on and protect the surface of the wood. All are durable moisture-resistant finishes. These finishes are generally available in high-gloss, semi-gloss, satin and matte, except moisture-cured urethane. Any one of the above surface finishes is a good choice. They are the recommended finish for kitchens or similar areas where there is exposure to water splashing or spills.

NOTE: Penetrating sealers may have also been used as an undercoat for surface finishes.

"Polyurethane," oil modified polyurethane, is generally the most common surface finish. The finish tends to amber slightly as it ages.

"Swedish finish," acid curing urethane, is also a very durable finish, generally harder than polyurethane. These finishes are clear, fast-drying and resist yellowing.

Moisture-cure urethanes are the hardest finishes. Some are non-yellowing (check can label). Gloss is the most common sheen.

"Water-based finishes" are urethanes or blends of acrylics and urethanes that are fast drying, moisture resistant, durable, and resist yellowing. As the name implies the vehicular component is water.

Most manufacturers of surface finishes recommend no waxing. Wax will, in most cases, be slippery. Once waxed, the floor may not be successfully re-coated to rejuvenate it, but will have to be completely sanded down to raw wood to restore the finish.

"Varnish, Shellac and Lacquer finishes" These are surface finishes rarely used today, and generally are not considered as durable as the more modern finishes. Shellacs are the softest and show water spots. Varnishes are harder but not to the extent of modern finishes and will show more ambering over time. Lacquers are hard and brittle and scratch easily (very flammable when applied).

Don't damp mop shellacs because of water spotting. You can use a slightly damp mop on the others if not previously waxed. For finishes which have been previously waxed, maintain by waxing occasionally. When traffic wear is noticeable, complete refinishing and changing to a newer finish is most often the preferred choice for repair.

"Polymer finishes"- There is a third classification of finishes known as acrylic impregnated or an irradiated polymer. This is used primarily in commercial applications. Each brand of flooring using a polymer or acrylic impregnated finish have specific maintenance procedures which should be obtained from the manufacturer.

Caring for Surface Finishes on Your Floors

Vacuum and/or dust mop regularly.

For general cleaning of soiled areas, dip or spray a clean cloth with the manufacturer's recommended cleaner. The cloth should be slightly moistened, not wet. As you clean the floor follow by wiping the floor dry. If manufacturer of the finish is unknown, spray-mist areas of floors with a mild cleaner (i.e. non-abrasive counter-type) follow by wiping with a sponge mop or cloth pad mop, and dry up residue. NOTE: Spray mist only as necessary. Do not apply moisture unnecessarily, vacuum instead. Contact the finish manufacturer to determine specific recommendations for cleaning the finish. Ammonia will damage or dull many surface finishes and should not be used to clean your floor.

Repairing a Surface Finish

With special care and skill, you may be able to repair polyurethane finishes yourself. Such repair may be necessary after stain removal or water damage. Use steel wool or fine sandpaper to remove layers of the finish from entire length of the affected boards. If necessary, stain and let dry completely. Apply the same type polyurethane as the original finish to the entire boards, being careful not to build additional finish coats on surrounding strips. Read application directions. Taping the perimeter of the area with a quality release masking tape is helpful. Allow ample drying time. After the finish is dry remove tape.

CAUTION: Don't attempt this if you have an older varnish. The older finishes are almost impossible to repair and match successfully. Lacquer and shellac, however, repair more easily.

For a small, relatively inconspicuous area you might get by cleaning with steel wool followed by paste wax. You won't get an exact match but it could serve as temporary repair. The alternative is sanding to expose bare wood over the entire room and applying new finish.

Penetrating Seals

This finish has been widely used on residential floors. As its name implies, the sealer penetrates or soaks into the wood pores and hardens to seal the floor against dirt and certain stains. The penetrating sealer may also contain a stain to impart additional color to the flooring. These finishes may be used in all areas but kitchens and daily eating areas where frequent water contact is likely. This finish does protect from surface moisture but will stain, dull, and/or whiten if the moisture remains on it for more than a short period of time.

At the surface it delivers a low gloss satin finish that wears as the wood wears. The satin luster helps camouflage surface abuse. However, since the finish wears with the wood, eventually traffic lanes may show a lightened or dulled area. When an area does begin to show wear, it can be refinished or renewed. The renewed areas can be made to blend into the existing finish without lap marks or other obvious signs of repair.

The beauty and wear resistance of wood floors finished with a penetrating seal may be further enhanced by wax. A wax coating forms a barrier against the most frequent kind of abrasion, can be easily renewed, and imparts a soft shine to the floor.

Use wax with these two cautions:(1) the wax (liquid buffing or paste) MUST BE DESIGNED FOR USE ON HARDWOOD FLOORS and (2) don't use a liquid that has a water base. Check the label. Some manufacturers recommend their water-base products for wood, however, our association believes only a solvent- base product should be used. Generally, solvent-based waxes will have the odor of mineral spirits.

Follow the manufacturer's directions for applying the wax and buff it well. This is done preferably with a 16-inch buffing machine available from rental companies. You may also buff small areas with a household buffer or by hand with clean cloths or pads.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;1132927 wrote: How does one know if the wood floor has a wax finish or a polyurethane finish on it ? They say never wax a poly finish. Id like to tackle this project today so Id like an immediate answer from a qualified wood floor expert in the next 10 min or so please.

Its 4:25 am now. Go.

try licking it. :)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thanks Chez

Thanks Sunshine.

Zep Wood Floor Care...Home Depot

Did a damned fine job.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Nomad;1135114 wrote: Thanks Chez

Thanks Sunshine.

Zep Wood Floor Care...Home Depot

Did a damned fine job.

Glad to have been of service:D
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I can thoroughly reccomend this method.

Rip up all wood flooring and replace with slate quarry tiles. :wah:

I did about a year ago now and although they are bloody freezing cold in winter, they are heaven sent. A sweep and a mop is all that's needed. With 3 dogs and cats, it was the best thing i ever did.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Barman

Post by Barman »

oscar;1135430 wrote: I can thoroughly reccomend this method.

Rip up all wood flooring and replace with slate quarry tiles. :wah:

I did about a year ago now and although they are bloody freezing cold in winter, they are heaven sent. A sweep and a mop is all that's needed. With 3 dogs and cats, it was the best thing i ever did.

Forgot to put the heating beneath didn't you.:wah:
Oscar Namechange

Barman;1135510 wrote: Forgot to put the heating beneath didn't you.:wah:

Yeah we did :wah:

And you can't have rugs either unless you fancy sliding head first out the window.

They are a god send though especially with puppy tiddles.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Barman

Post by Barman »

oscar;1135513 wrote: Yeah we did :wah:

And you can't have rugs either unless you fancy sliding head first out the window.

They are a god send though especially with puppy tiddles.

We put heating mats under the ground floor, you want a pic of the heat rising:wah:

Makes one hell of a difference, one tile in the corner of the kitchen has no heating under, you wouldn't want to sit on that one in yer pants on a December morn i can tell you.:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Barman;1135517 wrote: We put heating mats under the ground floor, you want a pic of the heat rising:wah:

Makes one hell of a difference, one tile in the corner of the kitchen has no heating under, you wouldn't want to sit on that one in yer pants on a December morn i can tell you.:yh_rotfl

I know the feeling. Padding out to the kitchen first thing in the morning bare-foot is out as well.

No more upholstered furnature either with dogs, puppies and cats..... only leather you can wipe down quickly.

I've just found my puppy has shredded the bath mat as well :wah:
liquidroof

Post by liquidroof »

As a general rule you can be sure your plank or strip floor was finished at the factory if it has V-shaped grooves or bevels along the edges where the boards join and sometimes where the ends butt. This may be only a slightly rolled edge, or a healthy bevel. NOTE: Plank flooring which has been custom finished at the job may have beveled/grooved edges.
cogob

Post by cogob »

I have an oiled oak floor, if it is scratched just use a bit of wire wool with fresh oil on and the scratch disappears....
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

[quote=oscar;1135513]

Id pay cold hard cash to watch.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Home Management”