dog whisperer

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
dubs

dog whisperer

Post by dubs »

jimbo;940525 wrote: i love this show does anyone else watch it ,the guy is amazing ,i often use his ideas on the poopzilla and they work :D:D

So who's the pack leader? You or poops?.....:wah::wah:

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
G-man

dog whisperer

Post by G-man »

I solicited his advice once for an injured wild animal... the animal fully recovered due to his advice which was essentially based around homeopathy utilizing limebud extract and a product called Rescue Remedy whilst feeding him liquid food through a tube as he couldn't eat on his own. He was very gracious and approachable. I do love his approach to taming and treating these animals and it's fascinating to watch. I wonder if his techniques work on people as well, though? :p

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Accountable

dog whisperer

Post by Accountable »

My cat whispers, but her enunciation is so poor it's really nothing to write home about ............ especially with her penmanship.
Dewey2Me1MoThyme

dog whisperer

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

I watch him all the thyme, but I have to laff when he does the impersonations of a dog! I've used a lot of his advice, 99% of the thyme w/ favorable results.
Accountable

dog whisperer

Post by Accountable »

Most of the time he trains the humans. :wah:
Dewey2Me1MoThyme

dog whisperer

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

Thats exactly right, it's our mistakes that make it hard for the pet to know what we expect of them
Nomad

dog whisperer

Post by Nomad »

I used to have a job in which I was constantly being either growled at or chased and in one instance cornered by 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks and bitten on the thigh by one of them.

Ive jumped over fences and even got chased up a ladder and sat on a guys roof in the rain for a half hr until the dog was far enough away for me to run.

I developed severe anxiety about dogs in general.

Except for Golden Retrievers, without fail I could rely on them to be friendly.

Once again I find myself in situations of having to enter yards with dogs at times.

After watching the DW Ive assumed some of his methods of asserting control over dogs and Im glad to say his techniques have been effective so far.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

dog whisperer

Post by Nomad »

All Im saying is in my experience the breed is gentle by nature.

I always breathed a sigh of relief when I saw a GR in the yard.
I AM AWESOME MAN
shelbell

dog whisperer

Post by shelbell »

I think Ceaser is awesome. Using his advice, I was able to teach my Great Pyrenees to walk right next to me instead of him dragging me around. It's really hard to walk a 140lb dog dragging you around the block!
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Post by Oscar Namechange »

fuzzy butt;940674 wrote: OH dear . what misinformation we have here. DOGS ARE DOGS they belong to a pack and they are loyal to that pack . YOUR FAMILY

My golden retriever will chew your legs off if she thinks you're attacking her pack ....which is me . I've seen her do it with my ex. Not a good look I have to say.

A golden retriever is still a dog mind.

I expect one thing from my pets ..........protection and loyalty exactly what I give her.! Do i want a german shepard again? nah they are toooo protective. You have to balance it . i want the little girl across the street to be able to pat our dog and it all works out well with the breed we have .

You are wrong Fuzzy. Dogs are dogs but belong to dogs not YOUR FAMILY.

If you listen carefully to the Dog Whisperer, you will find that his advice in the main, is to treat your dog as a dog, not a human.

I believe his exact words for a happy pack of dogs are, EXERCISE, DISCIPLINE & LOVE.

All dogs descend from wolves. Wolves have never been loyal to "Mr & Mrs Jones of Acacia Avenue etc. They are loyal to their pack. i.e. each other.

When dogs protect the home, they are protecting THEIR home, not yours. THEIR pack, not your brood.

I have all of "Ceasar Milan's" books & video's & follow him to the letter. The moment you start to think your dog is all about YOU, it will fall apart as will any pack & start fighting. Packs live in harmony with each other. They are not there to rip some-one's throat out just for YOU.

OSCAR:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

dog whisperer

Post by Nomad »

Yea Fuzzy Butt !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

shelbell;941080 wrote: I think Ceaser is awesome. Using his advice, I was able to teach my Great Pyrenees to walk right next to me instead of him dragging me around. It's really hard to walk a 140lb dog dragging you around the block!

Hi Shellbell,

I agree, Ceasar is awesome.

We have 3 dogs & cats that live in harmony thanks to Ceasar.

We had a pal last yr about to go to the states for a 3 wk tour & granny decided at the last minute that she could not cope after all baby sitting their Rottwieler. A classic example of being dragged under the first passing bus.

We offered to baby sit with 2 long walks a day with fear i must admit. After 3 days the dog, (Bennie) was sitting at the kerb, walking to heel etc.

The owners came back to a new dog asking, how on earth did you manage that??

"Easy"--- Ceasar Milan tactics. (plus frankfurters, they helped with the bribery).

But-- the wiedest thing. Bennie would not cross a particular road. Sat his butt down & refused to budge. Did it every day & didn't know why.

The owners came home & said he did it with them.

Then a neighbour told them that the particular road was a morgue 200 yrs ago.

Spooked me out, i must say.

OSCAR
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Nomad;943475 wrote: Yea Fuzzy Butt !

Hi there, is that an agreement with me or a nay??

OSCAR
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

jimbo;943480 wrote: good post :D

as dog owner you have to be pack leader if you move away from that and the dog leads you then the dog is confused all is not well in his world

I agree with you Jimbo.

We have one dominant male who is pack leader to the cats as well, however, my husband in the past had problems with him. In all honesty, it was down to me treating them all as family & not dogs.

Hubby became pack leader, i changed the way i viewed them & began Ceasars advice, i.e. treating them as dogs but allowing the male to dominate his pack but not us.

Harmony restored.:-6
Nomad

dog whisperer

Post by Nomad »

oscar;943491 wrote: Hi there, is that an agreement with me or a nay??

OSCAR

It was a chance for me to kind of dig my heels in and say "hey guess what fuz, maybe just once Im right and youre wrong, what do you think about that ?"

I take a lot of heat from that one.

Shes a real firecracker.

Also I was hiding behind you when I said it.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Nomad;943511 wrote: It was a chance for me to kind of dig my heels in and say "hey guess what fuz, maybe just once Im right and youre wrong, what do you think about that ?"

Shes a real firecracker.

Oh, I see!!

Just got a new puppy. Did a delivery & saw her in a cage in a filthy kitchen. The guy was about to dump her. Brought her home not knowing if our pack would accept her although rare for adult dogs to attack tiny pups. Followed Ceasar's advice, walked in with her, butt first. All had a good sniff---Harmony:-6

OSCAR
Bryn Mawr

dog whisperer

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;943461 wrote: You are wrong Fuzzy. Dogs are dogs but belong to dogs not YOUR FAMILY.

If you listen carefully to the Dog Whisperer, you will find that his advice in the main, is to treat your dog as a dog, not a human.

I believe his exact words for a happy pack of dogs are, EXERCISE, DISCIPLINE & LOVE.

All dogs descend from wolves. Wolves have never been loyal to "Mr & Mrs Jones of Acacia Avenue etc. They are loyal to their pack. i.e. each other.

When dogs protect the home, they are protecting THEIR home, not yours. THEIR pack, not your brood.

I have all of "Ceasar Milan's" books & video's & follow him to the letter. The moment you start to think your dog is all about YOU, it will fall apart as will any pack & start fighting. Packs live in harmony with each other. They are not there to rip some-one's throat out just for YOU.

The only way to train a dog is to treat it as a dog and convince it that you are the alpha male.

Unless you are the boss they will never be loyal and obedient so it is all about YOU - you being the leader of the pack.
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Bryn Mawr;943540 wrote: The only way to train a dog is to treat it as a dog and convince it that you are the alpha male.

Unless you are the boss they will never be loyal and obedient so it is all about YOU - you being the leader of the pack.

Hi Bryn,

I agree as I just agreed with Jimbo & said, my hubby had problems some yrs back with our dominent male. I stopped treating them as family. Hubby came pack leader although allowing the male to control his brood. When hubby is out, I am pack leader. Only learnt all that through Ceasar though. EXERCISE, DISCIPLINE & LOVE as Ceasar says---works every time. With the dogs, not me i hasten to add.

It was tough to change old habits & treat them as dogs but as Ceasar says, dogs live for the moment--they forget something they don't like very quickly just to please the pack leader again.
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Nomad;943511 wrote: It was a chance for me to kind of dig my heels in and say "hey guess what fuz, maybe just once Im right and youre wrong, what do you think about that ?"

Shes a real firecracker.

We have another programme here called "Dog Borstal". Have you heard of it or seen it??

It's rubbish compared to Ceasar.:-6
Accountable

dog whisperer

Post by Accountable »

fuzzy butt;940674 wrote: OH dear . what misinformation we have here. DOGS ARE DOGS they belong to a pack and they are loyal to that pack . YOUR FAMILY

My golden retriever will chew your legs off if she thinks you're attacking her pack ....which is me . I've seen her do it with my ex. Not a good look I have to say.

A golden retriever is still a dog mind.

I expect one thing from my pets ..........protection and loyalty exactly what I give her.! Do i want a german shepard again? nah they are toooo protective. You have to balance it . i want the little girl across the street to be able to pat our dog and it all works out well with the breed we have .

oscar;943461 wrote: You are wrong Fuzzy. Dogs are dogs but belong to dogs not YOUR FAMILY.

I don't see a conflict with what Fuzzy posted and your take on the pack. I think you two agree.
Accountable

dog whisperer

Post by Accountable »

Bryn Mawr;943540 wrote: The only way to train a dog is to treat it as a dog and convince it that you are the alpha male.

That's how I run my classroom. :D
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Accountable;943603 wrote: I don't see a conflict with what Fuzzy posted and your take on the pack. I think you two agree.

Hi Accountable,

I was trying to make the point that dogs existed in packs long before us humans decided to have them eating out of silver bowls, sitting on our sofa's & being called Foofoo or some such nonsense. Or being led around on diamantee collars & leads.

To be fair, that's how i used to be with all the dogs i had & i had nothing but problems, jealousey, over protective etc.

We followed Ceasar's advice & all changed. However, i know that when some-one approaches my house, it is HIS house, HIS pack, the dominent male is protecting.

We as humans are the alpha as the dominent's pack leader which leads to the harmony.

Without a human alpha pack leader, I am just saying that the pack would cope just as well in the wild. They just happen to live in a human house there-fore the need for the owner of the house to take charge.

You do have a very good point though.

OSCAR
Nomad

dog whisperer

Post by Nomad »

oscar;943567 wrote: We have another programme here called "Dog Borstal". Have you heard of it or seen it??

It's rubbish compared to Ceasar.:-6

No Im afraid I havent.

I have been here at FG for some time and believe you me I know rubbish when I see it.

:yh_silent
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Nomad;943752 wrote: No Im afraid I havent.

I have been here at FG for some time and believe you me I know rubbish when I see it.

:yh_silent

That sounds cynical Nomad. I am a new member so i can't comment yet.

"Dog Borstal" is an English prog dealing with problem mutts. It is actually highly amusing. One of the dog handlers is an army guy i believe & the best bit, is the owner of the dog is forced to live in a tent in the pouring rain while they work on the dog. The owner is forced to live in army conditions & routines & the funny part, is they are the one's to crack way before the dog does.

It does show up the stupidity of the owners but the dog handlers are amateurs next to Ceasar.

I do agree with this prog in as much as they say, there is no such thing as a bad dog---just stupid owners. They train the owner but very often on the follow up prog, the owner is back to the old habits that sent their dog nuts in the first place.

I take huge pride when people comment on how loving my pack is.

An aggressive dog shows an aggressive owner in my book.

If anyone broke into my house, they would be handed a ball from my dominent male. Not everyone's idea of what a dog is there for but i guess i prefer to put the happiness & welfare of my dogs before my own needs, or am i talking rubbish now??

CHEERS,

OSCAR
Odie

dog whisperer

Post by Odie »

just started watching this show, have seen four episodes, this guy is awesome with dogs, and his own leader of the pack dog, he knows how to gently train the dogs and seems he can get them to do anything!

plus his knowledge of always giving them treats for well deserved training tasks is a hit with me, (alot think its just their duty) and especially the one show with the hot golden retriever who also had a swim in a pool after every task!

nice to see such an expertise!
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

jimbo;940525 wrote: i love this show does anyone else watch it ,the guy is amazing ,i often use his ideas on the poopzilla and they work :D:D

YouTube - Dog Whisperer 6/26 : The Pug and The Pig

I'm so glad we have another thread on Ceasar. Mr Oscar absolutely worships this man. He watches him all the time on sky.

Two of our dogs, Mulder and Scully are 12 and 13 yrs. We have used Ceasar tactics on them even at that late age and they work. Especially the 'controlling the space' tips.

I love seeing his pack of pit bull's and the respect they have for him. he is quite remarkable.

Wonder what he's like with your average British teenage yob? Now that would be a good show :sneaky:
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Odie;1070677 wrote: just started watching this show, have seen four episodes, this guy is awesome with dogs, and his own leader of the pack dog, he knows how to gently train the dogs and seems he can get them to do anything!

plus his knowledge of always giving them treats for well deserved training tasks is a hit with me, (alot think its just their duty) and especially the one show with the hot golden retriever who also had a swim in a pool after every task!

nice to see such an expertise!

What's great about the guy as well, is that he genuinely cares for the people and the dogs. I saw one show where he had a US cop in tears over his dog. He's so sweet to everyone. Hope you get the show with the blind lady who he trains her dog for her. It's a real tear jerker :-1
Odie

dog whisperer

Post by Odie »

G-man;940619 wrote: I solicited his advice once for an injured wild animal... the animal fully recovered due to his advice which was essentially based around homeopathy utilizing limebud extract and a product called Rescue Remedy whilst feeding him liquid food through a tube as he couldn't eat on his own. He was very gracious and approachable. I do love his approach to taming and treating these animals and it's fascinating to watch. I wonder if his techniques work on people as well, though? :p

We had used Rescue Remedy, advised from our vet who is also a homeopathic expert, for one of our cats who always showed signs of being nervous, it worked wonders on him, he no longer was nervous.
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Dogs have wet noses 'to enhance their sense of smell' | Mail Online

And there was i thinking they had them just to shove up my skirt!!
Kathy Ellen

dog whisperer

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh swoon.....:o

I've loved this man for years. I don't have pets, but I love Cesar's thought processes and discipline needed to train animals. I watch the show all the time.:-4

His behaviorial ideas also apply to children's behavior.......Whenever my 3rd graders are not behaving, I make that noise that Cesar makes...chit...chit...and they all stop and listen....:-4 Children also need to know that we're all a "pack" and should support each other.:-6
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Kathy Ellen;1070703 wrote: Oh swoon.....:o

I've loved this man for years. I don't have pets, but I love Cesar's thought processes and discipline needed to train animals. I watch the show all the time.:-4

His behaviorial ideas also apply to children's behavior.......Whenever my 3rd graders are not behaving, I make that noise that Cesar makes...chit...chit...and they all stop and listen....:-4 Children also need to know that we're all a "pack" and should support each other.:-6

I agree, there is a lot of human physcology in what he does as well as animal.

And what a smile???????
Kathy Ellen

dog whisperer

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1070719 wrote: I agree, there is a lot of human physcology in what he does as well as animal.

And what a smile???????

Oh Oscar..he is a cutie for sure:-6
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

Kathy Ellen;1070721 wrote: Oh Oscar..he is a cutie for sure:-6

It makes me cry when they show him with all the battered pit bulls he's rescued. he is just so caring.

We use 'chit chit' on our dogs and it really works. that and the touching the side of the body to distract them.

I wonder if there's a MRS Milan??:-4
Oscar Namechange

dog whisperer

I just stole this from Mr Oscar's p.c. for you

Cesar Millan - People Training For Dogs
Kathy Ellen

dog whisperer

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1070723 wrote: It makes me cry when they show him with all the battered pit bulls he's rescued. he is just so caring.

We use 'chit chit' on our dogs and it really works. that and the touching the side of the body to distract them.

I wonder if there's a MRS Milan??:-4

Yes, there is a Mrs. M, and Ceser's son appears on his show sometimes while Cesar is working with the dogs.

I also use the hand signals with my 3rd grade school kidlets...They were having a great laugh the other day imitating all of my "silent hand motions." They're amazed that they can understand and respond to these motions:-4. As I always say, eye contact and body language speaks volumes:p
Ally

dog whisperer

Post by Ally »

another lover of the dog whisperer hes great,mrs milans name is Illusion find it unusual but hes a honey.:):)
Odie

dog whisperer

Post by Odie »

oscar;1070680 wrote: What's great about the guy as well, is that he genuinely cares for the people and the dogs. I saw one show where he had a US cop in tears over his dog. He's so sweet to everyone. Hope you get the show with the blind lady who he trains her dog for her. It's a real tear jerker :-1

You can tell just how much he cares and loves the dogs!

...and he's not bad himself!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “General Chit Chat”