Ever visit CAJUN COUNTRY??

A forum to discuss local issues in WV, VA, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, AR, LA, FL
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

Another name for it would be Acadiana, I live between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. in a very small town of Butte La Rose. in the Atchafalaya Basin. (Ok Who will be the first to try to pronouce it.?) Now cajun is MUCH different then Creol. FOOD AND CULTURE. Come in the spring or fall. My sister in-law came the first of JULY. TOOOO HOT AND STICKY. Plus New Orleans isn't the only place to do Mardi Gras. Lafayette is fun and safer:D
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

When I was a kid we visited my Aunt who lived in Baton Rouge. I remember it being very beautiful, don't remember what time of year it was we loved it. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

southern yankee

CARLA;935053 wrote: When I was a kid we visited my Aunt who lived in Baton Rouge. I remember it being very beautiful, don't remember what time of year it was we loved it. :-6 Carla did you feel the earth Quake??
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Sure did, as we native Californian's say it was an "E" ride. Pretty big on and it really rolled. :-6

[QUOTE]Carla did you feel the earth Quake??[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

southern yankee

CARLA;935564 wrote: Sure did, as we native Californian's say it was an "E" ride. Pretty big on and it really rolled. :-6 My ex mother in law lives in El Toro. Or is it still called that? Anyway, she had a shock out of a nap.Did you have any damage??
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Stll called El Toro" to my knowledge. Not much damage just stuff falling off shelves.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Is the Acadian or "Cajun" flag flown in Louisiana?

The Acadian flag was designed in 1886. It's often seen in New Brunswick and other parts of Eastern Canada that has a large Acadian population.

The "Cajun" flag was designed in 1965 to recognise the 200th anniversary of the expulsion of the Acadians to Louisiana.

The flag on the left is Acadian. The one on the right is the "Cajun" flag :

Attached files
southern yankee

Richard Bell;935652 wrote: Is the Acadian or "Cajun" flag flown in Louisiana?

The Acadian flag was designed in 1886. It's often seen in New Brunswick and other parts of Eastern Canada that has a large Acadian population.

The "Cajun" flag was designed in 1965 to recognise the 200th anniversary of the expulsion of the Acadians to Louisiana.

The flag on the left is Acadian. The one on the right is the "Cajun" flag : I notice a lot of the "Cajun flag "flying here in stead of the State Flag. I am from Indiana, But have lived here about 15 years. The people here are friendly and full of life. They sure like to Party. Sometimes, a little too much. But all in all. It is a nice place to live.:)But I will never get use to the SUMMER HEAT.:(
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

southern yankee;935052 wrote: Another name for it would be Acadiana, I live between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. in a very small town of Butte La Rose. in the Atchafalaya Basin. (Ok Who will be the first to try to pronouce it.?) Now cajun is MUCH different then Creol. FOOD AND CULTURE. Come in the spring or fall. My sister in-law came the first of JULY. TOOOO HOT AND STICKY. Plus New Orleans isn't the only place to do Mardi Gras. Lafayette is fun and safer:D
Which do you like more, cajun or creole?

I spent my childhood in northern Louisiana. It might as well have been a different country. We're called coonass up there. :D
southern yankee

Accountable;935790 wrote: Which do you like more, cajun or creole?

I spent my childhood in northern Louisiana. It might as well have been a different country. We're called coonass up there. :D same down here> they are proud of that name:confused: But I like CAJUN better. but i will admit my husband and i give it a YANKEE flare. But being from Indiana. I am still not into the RICE thing. You know sometimes when we make GUMBO were serve it over elbow macaronie. If my NEIGHBORS seen that!! We gotta have pasta or potatos.:wah:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

southern yankee;935848 wrote: same down here> they are proud of that name:confused: But I like CAJUN better. but i will admit my husband and i give it a YANKEE flare. But being from Indiana. I am still not into the RICE thing. You know sometimes when we make GUMBO were serve it over elbow macaronie. If my NEIGHBORS seen that!! We gotta have pasta or potatos.:wah:
I can't quite picture that gumbo. That's like an SUV with a gun rack. :wah:
southern yankee

[QUOTE=Accountable;936147]I can't quite picture that gumbo. That's like an SUV with a gun rack. :wah:[/QUOTE ;)You would be suprized . Pretty darn good.Had Cajuns say it was good. But when we know it's not us YANKEES we serve it with RICE. Now my hubby does not concider himself a YANKEE. He was born in NORTHERN MO. But raised in SOUTHERN IL.;)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I grew up thinking that the Mason-Dixon line was that southernmost point where it snowed every winter. If you got snow every winter - Yankee. If not - Southern. :D
southern yankee

Accountable;936156 wrote: I grew up thinking that the Mason-Dixon line was that southernmost point where it snowed every winter. If you got snow every winter - Yankee. If not - Southern. :D you know what cajuns say. anything north of Interstate 10:wah:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;935790 wrote: Which do you like more, cajun or creole?

I spent my childhood in northern Louisiana. It might as well have been a different country. We're called coonass up there. :D

Unfortunately due to this post you will also be known as "coon ass" here on FG now. :-6
I AM AWESOME MAN
southern yankee

Nomad;941698 wrote: Unfortunately due to this post you will also be known as "coon ass" here on FG now. :-6 i am a tranzplant. didn't marry one either. so no coon ass here.:wah:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Im just teasing accountable ;)
I AM AWESOME MAN
southern yankee

But you know over a millon people are in Lafayette for Mardi Gras. it is much more towards the: family then N.O. I feel everyone should do Mardi Gras at least once. Not the big drunk like in N.O. But a heck of a lot of fun:wah::D:):-6:guitarist.
Lon

Post by Lon »

southern yankee;935052 wrote: Another name for it would be Acadiana, I live between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. in a very small town of Butte La Rose. in the Atchafalaya Basin. (Ok Who will be the first to try to pronouce it.?) Now cajun is MUCH different then Creol. FOOD AND CULTURE. Come in the spring or fall. My sister in-law came the first of JULY. TOOOO HOT AND STICKY. Plus New Orleans isn't the only place to do Mardi Gras. Lafayette is fun and safer:D

I always thought it was interesting that the Louisiana Cajuns were originally from Nova Scotia and migrated south in the 1700's during and after the French & Indian Wars and conflict with the Brits.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I got rather lost once in Baton Rouge. wandered about the bayous etc a bit out of Nawlins, took a ride on a shrimp boat - like the food, learnt a few new dances and think it all sounds very nice indeed, SouthernYankee!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

southern yankee

AussiePam;949400 wrote: I got rather lost once in Baton Rouge. wandered about the bayous etc a bit out of Nawlins, took a ride on a shrimp boat - like the food, learnt a few new dances and think it all sounds very nice indeed, SouthernYankee!!! you are not the only one. everytime i go to Baton Rouge, i get LOST.:(:confused:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I was with another ForumGardener, Okie - who, very surprisingly, is an Oklahoman! We were actually heading to Biloxi via Shreveport.. got to Baton Rouge, drove round and round and couldn't manage to leave Baton Rouge. Did some great sightseeing as we circled - antebellum houses, the uni campus, wonderful old magnolia trees... and on we spiralled. After a few hours... we stopped at a Mackers and I bunged on my most aussie accent and all the staff left their workspots and came out to show the kangaroo how to hop it the heck outtta Baton Rouge. Quite an adventure.. :sneaky: And, retrospectively, a load of fun.

southern yankee

AussiePam;950415 wrote: I was with another ForumGardener, Okie - who, very surprisingly, is an Oklahoman! We were actually heading to Biloxi via Shreveport.. got to Baton Rouge, drove round and round and couldn't manage to leave Baton Rouge. Did some great sightseeing as we circled - antebellum houses, the uni campus, wonderful old magnolia trees... and on we spiralled. After a few hours... we stopped at a Mackers and I bunged on my most aussie accent and all the staff left their workspots and came out to show the kangaroo how to hop it the heck outtta Baton Rouge. Quite an adventure.. :sneaky: And, retrospectively, a load of fun. the first time i was there . a girl friend and i drove around and around the city for 3 hours. it can be confusing.:driving::confused:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

That's amazing. We thought it was just us!!!!!!!! GUFFAW. Or some kind of wicked southern conspiracy against northern strangers.... lure them into an endless loop and when they are bewildered completely, toss em to the crocs er gators in the swamp. Of course I'm actually far more southern than they are. Whatever south yall's got, I got DEEEEEEEEEEEPER south in Terra Australis, the Great South Land. :D

southern yankee

AussiePam;950443 wrote: That's amazing. We thought it was just us!!!!!!!! GUFFAW. Or some kind of wicked southern conspiracy against northern strangers.... lure them into an endless loop and when they are bewildered completely, toss em to the crocs er gators in the swamp. Of course I'm actually far more southern than they are. Whatever south yall's got, I got DEEEEEEEEEEEPER south in Terra Australis, the Great South Land. :D i am going back in about 10 days, Dr. appt. will give myself more then enough time. not thrilled about going. alone on top of it.:driving::confused:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Pooh on the doctor's apt, but as fer the rest. Why don't I email myself over directly and we can traipse around BR together, in search of mischief!! (Are we likely to find mischief in Baton Rouge?). Otherwise, you could zot over and plough a ski slope or two with me. :-6

southern yankee

AussiePam;950596 wrote: Pooh on the doctor's apt, but as fer the rest. Why don't I email myself over directly and we can traipse around BR together, in search of mischief!! (Are we likely to find mischief in Baton Rouge?). Otherwise, you could zot over and plough a ski slope or two with me. :-6 sounds like a plan to me my dear.:wah: would love to come to your neck of the woods, my brother was in Melborne about a month ago.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Local joke: What's the best thing from Melbourne? Answer: A plane to Sydney!! :D

southern yankee

AussiePam;950759 wrote: Local joke: What's the best thing from Melbourne? Answer: A plane to Sydney!! :D is it dull there? Or a lot of crime?? he sent me a post card from there. he said he enjoyed the walking tours.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

No, Melbourne's a nice city. It was founded a bit differently from Sydney. Melbournians reckon they're descended from good English stock - serious people, with money and class. Sydney's original settlers were mostly Irish and London Cockney convicts - who'd done wicked things like stealing bread to prevent their kids from starving etc. They were evil, creative, bolshie (contrary), loud, brash, fun and had bad attitood. Both cities are big metropolises now, and international, but both have retained in their psyches traces of their beginnings. I'm a Sydney girl through and through and proud of it. :sneaky:

You said you were originally from Illinois, I think. Where abouts?

southern yankee

AussiePam;951623 wrote: No, Melbourne's a nice city. It was founded a bit differently from Sydney. Melbournians reckon they're descended from good English stock - serious people, with money and class. Sydney's original settlers were mostly Irish and London Cockney convicts - who'd done wicked things like stealing bread to prevent their kids from starving etc. They were evil, creative, bolshie (contrary), loud, brash, fun and had bad attitood. Both cities are big metropolises now, and international, but both have retained in their psyches traces of their beginnings. I'm a Sydney girl through and through and proud of it. :sneaky:

You said you were originally from Illinois, I think. Where abouts? close to Chicago(Indiana) born in Gary, grew up in Hammond. Northwest Indiana. i am a mill rat. grew up in steel mill country. but my dad worked in a chemical plant. My mother worked for Sears. Have you heard of the store??
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

southern yankee;951799 wrote: close to Chicago(Indiana) born in Gary, grew up in Hammond. Northwest Indiana. i am a mill rat. grew up in steel mill country. but my dad worked in a chemical plant. My mother worked for Sears. Have you heard of the store??

Yep, I know Sears. And I've been in both Gary and Hammond. But don't remember them much, sorry. For many years I had very close friends in central Illinois, and we would often drive over to the East coast to visit other friends - usually stopped at Terre Haute or somewhere round there on the way.

southern yankee

AussiePam;951947 wrote: Yep, I know Sears. And I've been in both Gary and Hammond. But don't remember them much, sorry. For many years I had very close friends in central Illinois, and we would often drive over to the East coast to visit other friends - usually stopped at Terre Haute or somewhere round there on the way. If ya ever make it here. we'll have to go get LOST.:wah: QUESTION, is you gas as high as Europe? I heard it ia around $10 a gallon. OMG!!
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

No, but more than in the States. About $A6 per gallon.

Return to “South East”