Massachusetts Amber Alert

The AMBER Alert System began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. AMBER stands for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnaped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered. Other states and communities soon set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the nation.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Amber Alert Issued for 7 Year Old Massachusetts Girl

Posted: Sunday July 27, 2008 5:07 PM CST

The State of Massachusetts issued the Amber Alert Sunday evening after the girl was reportedly abducted in Boston. She is considered to be in danger.

Reigh Rockefeller 7 yrs., white female, 4', 50 pounds, with blond hair and blue eyes. She was last seen wearing a pink/white sundress, red shoes, and dark sunglasses.

The suspect is Clark Rockefeller who is a white male in his fifties approximately 5'6" , 170 pounds, wearing khacki pants and a blue Izod shirt.

The suspect vehicle is a a black SUV, Tahoe or Yukon, with an unknown Massachusetts Red Sox license plate and numerous Red Sox stickers on the rear window.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Boston Police Department, (617) 343-4911 or dial 911.

Visit http://codeamber.c.topica.com/maal6GPab ... 6AbafpLR8/ for more information
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

This is truly sad Peg. I hope this child is found before she is hurt. I'll send the info on to friends:(
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

I am pleased you still do these Peg.:-4

Good for you.

I like to follow these stories even though they are sad,some do turn out to be happy .:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Hope she is back home safe and sound soon.
Peg

Post by Peg »

**** AMBER ALERT CANCELED **** July 28, 2008: The State of Massachusetts canceled the Amber Alert Monday morning after it was determined the girl was taken to New York by her father who does not have custody. She was abducted Sunday by her father during a supervised visit. Boston police said they are working closely with local and state authorities in New York to continue the search. More information may be available at http://codeamber.org **** AMBER ALERT CANCELED ****

A supervised visit and he still managed to kidnap her? :confused:
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

Her dad or uncle is the suspect? I hope this has a happy ending. My brother lives in Dedham. Where does this child live? Will e mail him about this.
spot

Post by spot »

What's your opinion, Peg, that the large majority of Amber Alerts are for children in the company of a relative but that the relationships are rarely made clear when the Alert's put out?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;933710 wrote: What's your opinion, Peg, that the large majority of Amber Alerts are for children in the company of a relative but that the relationships are rarely made clear when the Alert's put out?

I think that's usually true Spot....many times it turns out to be a parent,relative or neighbor. The alert goes out almost immediately around the whole country. I feel that's necessary due to the fact that the kidnapper, even if it's a parent, had no business taking the child without the permission of the spouse or family. It usually happens in divorced families.
spot

Post by spot »

Is there a feeling that issuing an Amber Alert in that sort of circumstance puts the child's life at greater risk, by upping the odds dramatically and turning a minor domestic dispute into a national prime-time TV opportunity which can only now have interminable jail time at the end of it?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Peg

Post by Peg »

You and I both know, Spot, that we will never agree on the Amber Alert. Some alerts are family; some are strangers.

She is considered to be in danger.

They had some reason to believe this. If the cops felt that issuing an alert put the child in greater danger, I doubt they would issue it.

The thing I wonder about the non-custodial parent alerts is this. Why did the parent feel they had no other choice? Is it for justice? Is it for revenge against the ex spouse?
spot

Post by spot »

Peg;933818 wrote: The thing I wonder about the non-custodial parent alerts is this. Why did the parent feel they had no other choice? Is it for justice? Is it for revenge against the ex spouse?This one seems to have been as strange a chap as you could find, really.Police sources claimed that Rockefeller agreed to give up custody of Reigh last year in exchange for almost $1.5m from the sale of one of the couple’s former homes — and an agreement that he need not produce his birth certificate. The custody deal allowed Boss to leave America with Reigh but was followed by a change of heart by Rockefeller, a stay-at-home father who had raised his daughter while her mother pursued her career. The missing pair were last seen at New York’s Grand Central station on Sunday.

It remains unclear how a brilliant businesswoman, with high society connections on both sides of the Atlantic, had come to be duped by such an improbable figure as Rockefeller. He had apparently long startled neighbours near the couple’s former country home with his eccentric behaviour and was said last week to have dyed his hair orange.

Apart from a brief public plea begging her former husband to “please, please, bring Snooks back”, Boss, who is said to earn £700,000 a year, has remained secluded in the Four Seasons hotel in Boston. Neither she nor any of her family or friends have been prepared to discuss the breakdown of the marriage, but police sources said the couple divorced in part over “identity issues”. Reigh’s last name was formally changed last year from Rockefeller to Mills Boss. Mills is one of several aliases believed to have been adopted by Reigh’s father, who has turned out to have no longstanding government or work records in the name of Clark Rockefeller. It is not clear whether he admitted to his wife that Mills was his real name.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 449143.ece

He seems by implication to have been something of a money-leech.

Where's the implication that he might harm the child, though? Other than in panic on finding a nationwide Amber Alert out against him?
Peg

Post by Peg »

The alerts don't usually give the "Why" they think the child may be in danger.

What are the criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts?

Each state AMBER Alert plan has its own criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts. The PROTECT Act, passed in 2003, which established the role of AMBER Alert Coordinator within the Department of Justice (DOJ), calls for DOJ to issue minimum standards or guidelines for AMBER Alerts that states can adopt voluntarily. DOJ's guidance on criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts is:

Law enforcement must confirm that an abduction has taken place

The child is at risk of serious injury or death

There is sufficient descriptive information of child, captor, or captor's vehicle to issue an alert

The child must be 17 years old or younger

It is recommended that immediate entry of AMBER Alert data be entered in FBI's National Crime Information Center. Text information describing the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the child should be entered, and the case flagged as Child Abduction.

Most state's guidelines adhere closely to DOJ's recommended guidelines.

http://www.amberalert.gov/faqs.htm

I have to wonder where your sudden interest in Amber Alerts is coming from. What are you up to Spot?
spot

Post by spot »

Peg;941796 wrote: I have to wonder where your sudden interest in Amber Alerts is coming from. What are you up to Spot?

Me? I'd just found Google Alerts and I was playing with what they could tell me, these incomplete stories sprang to mind.

"Where's the implication that he might harm the child" in the news articles, I meant. Or, retrospectively, where's the implication that the child might ever have been in any danger from him?

Return to “Amber Alert Forum”