Allergy to mosquito bites

pina

Post by pina »

Does anyone in the FG know a good way to stop mosquito's biting.....I get an allergic reaction everytime, it must be about ten bites a week on my arms and legs mostly. It's not just the itching, but I swell up so much, last week I had 11 bites all on the same nite 5 on one leg and 6 on the other, every one swelled up so much my legs looked deformed, the swelling lasts about five days before going down, it is also very painful.:yh_worry

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Get a spray that has DEET in it - if you are already bitten try calomine lotion or a baking soda and water paste. If it's really bad you can take a benedryl. If it's really really bad and you have a lot of them you can put oatmeal in a hot bath and soak.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
valerie

Post by valerie »

You can try taking some Benadryl... but I would be more concerned

about keeping them away from you. Does this happen while you're

outside or in the house? If it's inside, you need to get better window

screens. Outside, you can try burning Citronella candles, or get one

of those bug zappers. And start going all around the house and dump

anything and everything that holds water. If it's something like a

birdbath that you want to keep water in, make sure it's cleaned out

about every 72 hours so the larvae can't grow. (This time of year, I

do mine more often than that)

Some people have had some luck with eating garlic believe it or not,

makes them not taste nice to the skeeters!!

Another thing to do for the bites after you get them is rinse them

with rubbing alcohol. Or try calamine lotion.

Good luck!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Surely any anti-histamine would work??

You can get anti-histimine creams too for the actual bite.

And there was me feeling jealous of you out there!!! not any more!!
pina

Post by pina »

Thanks for those suggestions, I have tried so many different things before and after the bites.....not tried the oatmeal in a bath yet, but I will try anything it is getting desperate now. The doctor gave me a cortazone (not sure of the spelling) injection even that didn't do much. I take antihistamin tablets now but they put me to sleep.

Val I get the bites outside. I use all kinds of sprays and they always find a bit of skin I missed. I can't feel them, it's the next morning when I know.

pina

Post by pina »

Betty Boop wrote: Surely any anti-histamine would work??

You can get anti-histimine creams too for the actual bite.

And there was me feeling jealous of you out there!!! not any more!!

It's one of the things I have to put up with living here in all this lovely sunshine and the beach so near......no where is perfect but I would rather be here than England.:D:D

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Get a body spray with DEET in it to prevent being bitten. It doesn't smell good but it works.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
pina

Post by pina »

Thanks NV, I have been using it, but like I said in the last post if there is a bit of skin free of the spray them little pests find it. One nite when I took the dog for a walk I was bitten on both eyelids (as if one wasn't enough). I looked as though I had been fighting with Mike Tyson. My boss thought I had either been crying all nite or been in a fight, he didn't believe me when I told him it was mozzy's.

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

pina wrote: Thanks NV, I have been using it, but like I said in the last post if there is a bit of skin free of the spray them little pests find it. One nite when I took the dog for a walk I was bitten on both eyelids (as if one wasn't enough). I looked as though I had been fighting with Mike Tyson. My boss thought I had either been crying all nite or been in a fight, he didn't believe me when I told him it was mozzy's.

OOOWWWW - I think Mary Kay may have something you can use on your eyelids.
pina

Post by pina »

nvalleyvee wrote: OOOWWWW - I think Mary Kay may have something you can use on your eyelids.

Who's Mary Kay?

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

It's a cosmetics line in the States. BTS just had a thought though - maybe the soap, deoderant or perfume you use attracts them.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I take an anti-histimine thats non-drowsy its called Clarityn but the drug in it is Loratadine. My doctor won't prescribe them for me he gives me the cheap and nasty ones that make me drowsy and I refuse to take them. How can you afford to be drowsy with an eight year old and a three year old around!!:-5
dogmom

Post by dogmom »

I have a similar problem with the little bloodsuckers but I have found that one of the reasons they are so attracted to me is my smell. When I eat bananas my body evidently puts off a scent that attracts them in droves. At this time of year I steer clear of bananas and add garlic pills to my diet. There is an enteric coated garlic pill you can get from the drugstore that won't give you garlic breath.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

dogmom wrote: I have a similar problem with the little bloodsuckers but I have found that one of the reasons they are so attracted to me is my smell. When I eat bananas my body evidently puts off a scent that attracts them in droves. At this time of year I steer clear of bananas and add garlic pills to my diet. There is an enteric coated garlic pill you can get from the drugstore that won't give you garlic breath.

There you go dogman - what you eat is what you sweat - yummy to too many bugs.
Clint

Post by Clint »

The US Postal service sent out a message to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow jackets away. The yellow jackets just veer around you. And all this time you've! just been putting Bounce in the dryer!

It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them.

It also repels mice. Spread them around foundation areas, or in trailers, cars that are sitting and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle.

It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.

Repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.

Eliminates static electricity from your television (or computer) screen. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.

Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a sheet of Bounce.

Freshen the air in your home. Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang in the closet.

Put Bounce sheet in vacuum cleaner.

Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through sheet of Bounce

before beginning to sew.

Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.

Freshen the air in your car. Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.

Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The antistatic agent apparently weakens the bond between the food.

Eliminate odors in wastebaskets.. Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.

Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.

Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds. Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.

Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering. A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.

Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.

Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight.

Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away.

Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and storing them. Keeps them smelling fresh.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

OH - this sounds so familar..My friends son is allegeric to the bites - so bad that he swells and sometimes they are so bad they have to go to the hospital...BUT the sad thing is - he is allergic to DEET too...causes a rash and gives him a raspy throat..:( They tie a dryer sheet around his belt loop and in his shirt..My mom also just found her some stuff that has (bare with me on the spelling) EUCALYPTUS in it..and it works.. It is to late to call her but PM me if u are interested and I will find out the name of it tom. morning for u...She uses a Hydrocortizone cream from the docs also...I feel for you-- I will scratch mine till the bleed when I am sleeping..Those buggers love me!

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
minks

Post by minks »

mominiowa wrote: OH - this sounds so familar..My friends son is allegeric to the bites - so bad that he swells and sometimes they are so bad they have to go to the hospital...BUT the sad thing is - he is allergic to DEET too...causes a rash and gives him a raspy throat..:( They tie a dryer sheet around his belt loop and in his shirt..My mom also just found her some stuff that has (bare with me on the spelling) EUCALYPTUS in it..and it works.. It is to late to call her but PM me if u are interested and I will find out the name of it tom. morning for u...She uses a Hydrocortizone cream from the docs also...I feel for you-- I will scratch mine till the bleed when I am sleeping..Those buggers love me!

Burning citronella candles is also something popular round these parts, I too have heard of great success with bounce sheets. As well the banana theory is what my mom believes in, no bananas in the summer months.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
pina

Post by pina »

Hey Clint I'm off to the shops first thing in the morning to buy bounce sheets if they sell them around here, if not there might be something similar to try. I've never heard of using them for half the things you mentioned, maybe I should buy a case full and use them for some of the other things like trainers, suitcases, blinds etc......If it works I will let you know because up to now nothing has worked. Thanks:)

pina

Post by pina »

ArnoldLayne wrote: If my friend eats some bounce will it cure his halitosis:D

It should do....I'm going to eat a box full to stop those little b.....s biting me:yh_rotfl

pina

Post by pina »

ArnoldLayne wrote: That'll just make you soft and fluffy

I think you mean SOFTER and FLUFFIER:wah:

robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Well this may sound crazy but it worked for me and I wasn't even trying! I am a person that usually gets eaten alive by the skeeters!! I have never found anything that works but last spring my skin was so dry, I started putting suntan oil on after I got out of the shower. I love the coconut smell and my dry skin went away. Well do you know I have not been bit ALL summer??? It is amazing! I am not kidding--not ONE bite and I used to get bit all the time and swell really bad also.
Nature laughs Last
Bez

Post by Bez »

Hi there....I have got some shocking bites....could be ants (been gardening) or mozzies. They always endup with huge red lumps that burn and itch. I have just put on some calamine and glycerine cream....feels a bit easier at the moment..hope it eases for bed time. Someone at work said vinegar is good....can't stand the smell though. I wonder if white vinegar would work ! Any suggestions welcome..............Bez:wah:
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Could be those little tiny brownish red ants called fire ants....?
Nature laughs Last
pina

Post by pina »

Well I´m still being eaten alive here......I´ve tried everything suggested including drinking cider vinegar which someone told me about :yh_sick- and I´ve had them bounce sheets stuck in my pockets, inside my shoes tied round my wrists and stuffed down my bra. creams and sprays do nothing to deter these giant mozzi´s that seem to just love me....(slight exageration about the size).

I don´t know if I look sillier with all this stuff on me or swollen up like elephant woman. :yh_giggle

Bez

Post by Bez »

pina wrote: Well I´m still being eaten alive here......I´ve tried everything suggested including drinking cider vinegar which someone told me about :yh_sick- and I´ve had them bounce sheets stuck in my pockets, inside my shoes tied round my wrists and stuffed down my bra. creams and sprays do nothing to deter these giant mozzi´s that seem to just love me....(slight exageration about the size).

I don´t know if I look sillier with all this stuff on me or swollen up like elephant woman. :yh_giggle

Hi Pina...how are your bites. Mine have eased off itching now but have left bruises...How BIG ARE these mozzies.? In the end I used Antihistamin cream and Piriton tablets....they helped a lot. I was going to try the vinegar but only had balsamic....didn't want to smell like marinated chicken !!!! ha ha

Warm wishes Bez...:-6
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
scared20student

Post by scared20student »

i ALWAYS get mosquito bites too! i have like 13 right now! and one on my thumb! how did i not see the mosquito bite me!? annoying!
scared20student

Post by scared20student »

oh, nad all the bites force me to keep a benadryl anti-itch stick in my purse. Hhahaha!
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I also get bitten and I never see what bites me!

Whatever it is is either very small or very fast...or both!

I even wondered if it was bedbugs....not that I have a dirty bed, you understand, but apparently everyone has them...even the Queen! Lol!

Anyway, I use ANTHISAN, it comes in a yellow and white box and you can buy it in Boots. It's an antihistamine cream, so no drowsy pills to take. If you cover a bite in this cream as soon as you feel it, it soon goes down. It may take a day or two to go but it starts working straight away and takes the pain away quite quickly.

I'd highly recommend it Pina, get someone to post you some from the UK, if you can't find any over there!

Good Luck!
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

These are the type of bites I've had every year since living in an area with a lot of water. I normally end up with 30 to 40 and they always react like this and itch like CRAZY.

The bites in the pix from last year were not as bad as they have been.

Three years ago, each bite was weeping a clear liquid which rolled down my legs like tears, crystallizing on my socks.

The nurse at the hospital said "Oh my God that looks nasty!"

She went on to comment that my legs were very badly swollen.

I said "I know, everyone keeps saying I've started to look like my Gran"

"Did she have swollen legs?" she asked

"No she had a little beard" I replied

Attached files

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

ArnoldLayne wrote: They're not bites, someones been throwing blueberries at you

Yeah - It was Chuck Berry :wah:

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
minks

Post by minks »

Uncle Kram wrote: These are the type of bites I've had every year since living in an area with a lot of water. I normally end up with 30 to 40 and they always react like this and itch like CRAZY.

The bites in the pix from last year were not as bad as they have been.

Three years ago, each bite was weeping a clear liquid which rolled down my legs like tears, crystallizing on my socks.

The nurse at the hospital said "Oh my God that looks nasty!"

She went on to comment that my legs were very badly swollen.

I said "I know, everyone keeps saying I've started to look like my Gran"

"Did she have swollen legs?" she asked

"No she had a little beard" I replied

Crikey are you sure thems are mosquitos and not small carnivorous animals

― Mae West
orangesox1

Post by orangesox1 »

Perfume takes the itch out of mozzie bites, thats what I use, you wouldn't want to spray it on your eye lids though:D
minks

Post by minks »

orangesox1 wrote: Perfume takes the itch out of mozzie bites, thats what I use, you wouldn't want to spray it on your eye lids though:D

oh say you are not speaking from experience....OUCH!!!

― Mae West
orangesox1

Post by orangesox1 »

minks wrote: oh say you are not speaking from experience....OUCH!!!

Lots of experience with mozzies, it really does work and it's usually something I always have on hand, my daughter Steph uses it too.
minks

Post by minks »

"What disease did cured ham actually have?"

ahahaha I just got that

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

orangesox1 wrote: Lots of experience with mozzies, it really does work and it's usually something I always have on hand, my daughter Steph uses it too.

Ahhh how interesting, may have to give it a try.

― Mae West
orangesox1

Post by orangesox1 »

minks wrote: Ahhh how interesting, may have to give it a try.

It does work really well, we around have loads of mozzies and I'm usually bitten while I'm sleeping, so the perfume is easy to reach for without having to go searching for something else during the night.
Krash's mum

Post by Krash's mum »

hey, im new on here. but my son is allergic to mosquitos bites too. he's eleven months and will swell up and get huge blisters and rashes from them. anyone know of anything that would be safe to use on him to keep them away?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Krash's mum;754507 wrote: hey, im new on here. but my son is allergic to mosquitos bites too. he's eleven months and will swell up and get huge blisters and rashes from them. anyone know of anything that would be safe to use on him to keep them away?

epinephrine - also known as EpiPen

If you suspect your son is allergic to insect bites them get him to the doctors and get a prescription.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Krash's mum;754507 wrote: hey, im new on here. but my son is allergic to mosquitos bites too. he's eleven months and will swell up and get huge blisters and rashes from them. anyone know of anything that would be safe to use on him to keep them away?

Wouldn't use an Epi-pen on an 11 month old!!

Avoidance is probably key but you should indeed get to a doctor.

At some point, your son could have more than just swelling around the bites

and that could be very dangerous in one so young...
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Krash's mum

Post by Krash's mum »

he's been on phenargen for the bites but it didn't seem to help much and we are all out now, will have to get some more when i have more money in my account or try find something similar.

i've been using a natural insect repellent on him but he still seems to be getting bitten and i'm not to keen on using an insect repellent that contains chemicals.
nee

Post by nee »

Hi everyone!

Desperation and a quick Google search has brought me here!!

We moved to Melbourne from the UK in October, and what a great time to find out i am allergic to mosquito bites :-5

At first they didn't amount to much, just a bit itchy, but after a week or 2 and a few more bites i started to have them swelling up and going all 'tight' and hard, plus they hurt like mad.

I currently have one on the top of my foot that has made walking really painful. The swelling goes from the base of my toes right up to my ankle bone.

Uncle Kram;206590 wrote:

Thats what mine have gotten like too. Did this eventually disappear? If so, how long did it take? Im presuming you still suffer from the bites?

I don't mind the itching to be honest, but the swelling and pain from one poxy bite is unbearable.

Cant post pics as i haven't made 15 posts...
fireweed

Post by fireweed »

I suffer from severe mos. allergies also. My bites last at least a week with 10 xs the swelling as most. I'll not itch my bite, but it will still be the size of a silver dollar with red all around - sometimes even black and blue.

The only thing that works so far is this stuff called "after bite for kids". It only helps the itching and reduces the swelling 90% in minutes. I keep it in my purse, glove box and at home.

I have tried it all to keep them from biting me - but nothing seems to work. I was outside tonight with backwoods on - and like you they seemed to find that one spot --under my chin, my baby toe, and the top part of my forehead. I look like I got in a fight.

I really want to find out why they bite some people and not others. Also why people react differently to the bites. I am a red head and as a child had many many many bites. I am not sure if this relates to you or not, but I thought I would mention it. Maybe it's like poison ivy - a person can only take so much before it consumes you.

My Grandmother always said not to eat bananas if you planned to go outside because the bugs will eat you up. I forgot that she use to say this until tonight. I eat a banana almost everyday. I think I will pass for a few weeks to see what happens.

Let me know if anything is working - I understand everything you are going through.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Krash's mum;754652 wrote: he's been on phenargen for the bites but it didn't seem to help much and we are all out now, will have to get some more when i have more money in my account or try find something similar.

i've been using a natural insect repellent on him but he still seems to be getting bitten and i'm not to keen on using an insect repellent that contains chemicals.

Can you get a mosquito net for his crib?

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”