Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

here comes summer~~~and JAWS redux~~~~~~~~~~~

Surfer Fights Off Shark

Thousands of Sharks Spotted Off Fla. Coast

British Surfer Survives Fight Against Great White

Swarming Sharks Close Florida Beaches

Shark Attack Kills Snorkeler

SURF CITY, N.J. — A teenage surfer was bitten in an apparent shark attack off the New Jersey coast, and experts believe a small great white may be responsible.

It would be the first recorded shark attack in the state's waters in 30 years.

Ryan Horton, 17, said he never saw what bit him when he felt a stabbing pain in his ankle Sunday afternoon.

"I was swimming up and it just felt like somebody hit me in the foot with a baseball bat," Horton said. He paddled to shore, where his brother helped him to a hospital. Horton received more than 50 stitches on his lower leg.

Based on the tooth marks, the season and the location, the shark was likely either a small great white or a sandbar shark, said George Burgess , a Florida expert who is curator of the International Shark Attack File . He had examined an e-mailed photo of Horton's injury.

Two local experts said they think it was a great white shark.

"In cool water like this, you would have to suspect a great white," said Richard Fernicola, who wrote a book about shark attacks off the New Jersey shore in 1916 that that left four people dead. "A great white is much more likely to be aggressive to man than a sandbar shark."

~~~~
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

as a life-long SCUBA diver, this stuff fascinates me~~~~~~

International Shark Attack File

A database of shark attacks as well as information on how, why, and where sharks

attack, and how to avoid becoming a victim.

www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/ISAF/ISAF.htm - Jun 7, 2005 Shark Attacks

The Australian Shark Attack File is affiliated with the ISAF. Inquiries from the

media ... International Shark Attack File Florida Museum of Natural History ...
john8pies

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by john8pies »

Wow, but I`m actually more terrified that you`ve got PMS and a gun!
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

hey John, i am just a creampuff! ........i am freaking out though, CNN last night ran video of a 16 foot great white off MY beach!! *play JAWS music here*...that's it, i am just sticking my toes in! :eek:
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

saturday june 25....a 14 year old girl has been killed by a shark in florida today, no further details available yet...it bit off her leg and she bled out rapidly. -----we rarely have fatals here, but usually when we do it's a bull shark. large, heavy and aggressive.-------------------------------

Young Person Killed In Shark Attack In Florida

SANDESTIN, Fla. -- A young person was killed Saturday in a shark attack near a Florida campground on the Gulf of Mexico, authorities said.

"We have had a confirmed shark attack. The scene is still under investigation," said Darlene Drury, spokeswoman for South Walton Fire-Rescue. Area beaches were closed to swimmers immediately afterward.

Details of the attack near Camping on the Gulf Holiday Travel Park and the victim's name were not immediately released.

Coast Guard spokesman Shawn McGivern in Mobile, Ala., said authorities were trying to track down the victim's relatives.

Patrick O'Neill, the campground's general manager, refused to comment, saying only that the situation was "complicated."

The attack came near the height of the summer season. Crowds were drawn to gulf beaches Saturday by temperatures in the high 80s and high humidity.

Florida had the largest number of documented shark attacks worldwide last year with 31....................
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

another attack, this poor kid had his leg amputated today. i am the only person posting in this thread, but i want to keep a running record over the summer, sorry, i am obsessed! . ............PANAMA CITY, Florida (CNN) -- A 16-year-old boy was bitten by a shark Monday in the Gulf of Mexico, two days after a shark killed a 14-year-old girl off the Florida Panhandle, authorities said.
Bothwell

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by Bothwell »

NO LC you sre NOT the only person looking out for shark attacks in Florida, I have a personal interest in the native squali of that fair state.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

Bothwell wrote: NO LC you sre NOT the only person looking out for shark attacks in Florida, I have a personal interest in the native squali of that fair state.so we won't go swimming! :p (they DO like British blood).
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

still logging these....3rd attack in a week...............Tourist bitten by shark off Florida coast
jasmund

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by jasmund »

Over Easter vacation my fiance took me and my 13 year old son to the Florida Keys,

I had seen two sharks on previous trips. My son is not allowed to go deeper that to the top of his swim shorts, and for swimming purpose only in pools, to make a long story short, my fiance wanted to let me have my son go kayaking in the ocean, he said i have been here before and its mostly shallow, well my son was all for it, heck NO!!!!!!!

also snorkeling , Heck NO!! let him grow up first and then make that decision, I took my son to an aquarium where he could snorkel in a controlled enviorn,ment and you know what he loved it and he came out in one piece!!!!!! I beleive you can never be to careful.

My son may feel he missed out on certain things when he is grown up but at least he got to be grown up.
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

hi Jasmund....i wish i could have talked to you before you came down to the keys...i have been diving keys waters since i was 10 years old, and there has never been a verified fatal shark attack that i am aware of. you won't see the big pelagic predators inside the reef, but only out in deep water and the gulf stream. and schooling hammerheads around the dry tortugas. although sometimes you will see the caribbean reef shark who can be aggressive if you're spearfishing. there is NO spearing in keys marine sanctuary anymore. i hope you'll come back one day and go out to some shallow beautiful reef with your son, it's safe and it's magical. you'll be glad you did, i promise! :-6 if you go again, please pm me for more information.
jasmund

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by jasmund »

Lady cop-

Thanks, now he gets to sit in the sand and LOOK at the water!
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

LOL Jasmund, it's safe!! and i tried to answer your pm, but your pm box is full. :-6
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

well this baby didn't eat anyone YET, but i had to post his photo! WOW!Massive Shark Caught Off Massachusetts

Contestant Misses Deadline By 6 Minutes

UPDATED: 5:34 pm EDT July 21, 2005

OAK BLUFFS, Mass. -- It wasn't too little, but it was too late.

MetroWest Daily News photo

Fishermen who hauled in a massive 1,100 pound tiger shark off Massachusetts this past weekend failed to capture first place in the monster shark derby on Martha's Vineyard.

The reason: The boat was six minutes too late in returning to Oak Bluffs harbor with its catch.

The toothy tiger shark may not have won the competition, but it did win the admiration of other fishermen. Steven James of the Boston Big Game Fishing Club said this truly was a monster shark, and one that "could eat you."

Attached files
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

still building my summer file~~~~~~~Shark Bites 13-Year-Old Girl Wading At Daytona Beach

POSTED: 7:32 am EDT July 28, 2005

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A 13-year-old girl was bitten on the hand by a shark while she was wading in shallow waters, the Volusia County Beach Patrol said.

Nichole Carlos of Jupiter suffered a cut on the back of her left hand and had bite marks near her wrist, emergency workers said.

She lost some blood when she ran to get help at a nearby hotel, where friends wrapped her hand in a towel and took her back to the beach to find a lifeguard, Beach Patrol spokesman Scott Petersohn said.

Nichole was taken by ambulance to Halifax Medical Center, where she was in stable condition early Thursday.

The teen had been wading at about 6 p.m. Wednesday in waist-deep waters. No one else saw the shark, and it was not known what type of shark bit Nichole, Petersohn said.

It's the third possible shark bite at one of the county's beaches in less than a week, Petersohn said.

A 61-year-old surfer suffered minor injuries when he was bitten on his right foot Saturday while paddling about 20 yards from shore.

A shark bite reported by a 20-year-old surfer at New Smyrna Beach on Friday has not been confirmed, Petersohn said.

Shark bites are common in Volusia County because of the area's shark population and the numbers of people at the beaches, said George H. Burgess, curator of the International Shark Attack File at the University of Florida.
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

another fatality........Shark Attack Off Australia
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

Saturday, January 7, 2006

MELBOURNE, Australia (Reuters) -- A 21-year-old woman died Saturday after being attacked by a shark off eastern Australia, a rescue helicopter spokeswoman said.

The woman, whose identity was not immediately released, suffered severe injuries when she was mauled by a shark while swimming near North Stradbroke Island, east of the Queensland state capital Brisbane.

After the attack, the woman was airlifted to a local hospital where she had to have both arms amputated just below the elbow, Queensland Rescue Helicopter spokeswoman Helen Anderson said.

"I believe she also had flesh wounds to her leg and torso," she said.

The woman died of her injuries while in hospital, a Queensland state police spokeswoman said on the condition of anonymity following her office's protocol.

The woman had been swimming in shallow water with friends from a local church group when she was grabbed by the shark, Sky News reported. It was not immediately clear what type of shark attacked the woman.
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

three sharks may have been involved in the fatal attack on a 21-year-old woman off an island in eastern Australia, police said Sunday.The woman, whose identity was not immediately released, died late Saturday after being attacked near North Stradbroke Island, east of the Queensland state capital Brisbane.

Queensland state police inspector Peter Harding said officers were searching for the sharks and had closed several nearby beaches.

"If we found them, I suppose we would try to retrieve them and see if they have any body parts," Harding said. "The idea is to retrieve what we can."

The woman was swimming with friends from a church group in shallow water about 50 feet offshore when the shark attacked, local media reports stated. The woman's dog also was in the water.

The woman was airlifted to a Brisbane hospital where she had to have both arms amputated just below the elbow, according to Queensland Rescue Helicopter spokeswoman Helen Anderson. She also suffered deep wounds to her legs and torso, Anderson said.

Harding said the severity of the woman's injuries indicated she may have been attacked by a group of bull sharks, a species known for aggressive behavior this time of year.

"She was bleeding quite heavily," Harding said, adding that she heard "there was more than one shark involved. There could have been up to three."
St Ives

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by St Ives »

I have been a scuba diver for many years and have even had the pleasure of diving with sharks. They are a much misunderstood creature, and fancinating if you take a little time to study them. Like with all living things you will get a rouge one but all they are doing is protecting their family and territory, just as we do - you hurt my kids and you will get more than you bargined for.

My son got a love bite from one when he was snorkelling in the Med. Yes it was scarey and I was terrified when he phoned and told me. We are entering their world we must respect that.

Would love to come to the US of A and dive but have only managed to get there once for my 50th birthday and we went to the Grand Canyon. Left me totally speechless. Sadly my partner hates the sea :( so would need to find a 'buddy' :)
orangesox1

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by orangesox1 »

I am feeling really uncomfortable about the kids going swimming at Coffs harbour this week when we go on Hols. Joseph goes out as far as he can on his body board. I'm going to sit on the beach and not take my eyes of them while they're out in the water.

Also a person died last weekend from a box jelly fish sting.
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

i've been a SCUBA diver all my life, but i'd never go in Australian or South African waters.
orangesox1

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by orangesox1 »

Yeh well I'm thinking of planning our next holiday around a dam or lake, we are staying on a resort style camp site with a big swimming pool so they can awim in that. There is also a river but I'm not sure if sharks go up it, I'll ask when I get there. It's a pity that we can't relax and enjoy the sea though.
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

orangesox1 wrote: Yeh well I'm thinking of planning our next holiday around a dam or lake, we are staying on a resort style camp site with a big swimming pool so they can awim in that. There is also a river but I'm not sure if sharks go up it, I'll ask when I get there. It's a pity that we can't relax and enjoy the sea though.if the river goes to the ocean, sharks can and do travel them...there was a famous new jersey case where a shark upriver from the sea killed 4 people. when my son started surfing as a kid here in florida i sat on the beach with binoculars and a whistle, and never relaxed for a minute, they just lay out there on their boards dangling all their appendages and looking like a free all-you-can-eat buffet.
orangesox1

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by orangesox1 »

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia's summer -- if you can survive it, you'll love it.

Australia has plenty of blue sky, a scorching sun and golden beaches washed by cooling waves. It also has a multitude of creatures that can kill you, and they all come out to play in the summer.

Only one week into summer and hundreds of swimmers were chased from the surf at Bondi Beach by an unusually large shark, possibly an aggressive tiger shark or bronze whaler.

By September 2005, there had been a total of 654 shark attacks, 192 of them fatal, in Australian waters in the past 200 years, according to the Australian Shark Attack File at Sydney's Taronga Zoo.

Thats three attacks per year

In two attacks this year, a surfer and marine biologist both survived because they fought off the shark with their bare hands.

Well I don't have binoculars but I will be sat up on the beach watching them
orangesox1

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by orangesox1 »

mrsK wrote: I don't swim in the ocean anymore.

I used to go to Port Macquarie for hols but one day I sat on the headland & watched the surfers & the sharks behibd them,so its a no,no for me.

I will stick to the swimming pool:-6 :-6

Maybe the sharks are running out of food in the ocean & that is why so many attacks...............that is just my theory.

Last year we went to Myle lakes, after returning from swimming in the sea, a fisherman said to us, there is no way he would swim where we were as he had seen to many sharks there over the years. The kids never went back in.

We just got back from weekend camping at Burrondong dam, no sharks there, nice and safe. not really a holiday destination though.
orangesox1

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by orangesox1 »

mrsK wrote: No I wouldn't choose it either nice place when it is full but still wouldn't be my pick for a holiday.

My Dad helped build that dam & I used to go to school in Wellington.........many years ago...............:-6

It's 43% full at the moment, I did my SES flood boat assesment there a few years ago when it had 1% in it.
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

How best to fight off a shark?

Should you fight back or play dead?

An Australian diver has narrowly survived a shark attack by fighting it with his speargun - the latest in a long line of shark-related incidents. So what is the best way to take on a shark and win?

Bernie Williams, a 46-year-old Australian scuba-diver, fought off repeated attacks by an 11ft (3.5m) shark by hitting it on the nose with his speargun.

As is most often the case, he didn't see the shark coming until it bit him.

Mr Williams said: "It just came out from my left hand side... chomped on my arm and took me for a ride for about two metres.

"I stabbed it on the nose with a speargun, but it was just like hitting a lump of steel. It didn't slow down in the slightest."

The shark retreated before making another attack on Mr Williams, giving him just enough time to hide in a crevice near the ocean floor until his diving buddies came to the rescue.

So was Mr Williams' response a text book example of defence or are there better ways to take on Jaws?

Escape strategy

George Burgess, director of the Florida Program for Shark Research and the International Shark Attack File, says the first thing to do is get out of the water as soon as possible.

"Have an escape strategy at all times," he says, "But, if you're diving and can't get out of the water easily, find a place at the bottom of the ocean. This reduces the number of angles the shark can attack you from."

Mr Burgess recommends you swim back to back with your dive partner which gives you two pairs of eyes to watch for the shark.

Although getting out of the water as soon as you see a shark sounds like, sound advice, most attacks come out of the blue. Victims do not know they are in danger until the shark attacks.

"If you can't escape before an attack, hit it with an object - like a spear or camera or whatever you have to hand - avoid using your bare hands. You can replace your camera easily, but not your hands and feet.

"If the shark is persistent hit it hard on the end of the nose which is just a little north of the mouth. But be careful, if you miss you'll place your hand or weapon in the shark's jaws."

In an all-out shark-fight Mr Burgess, perhaps unsurprisingly, recommends being as aggressive as possible.

Play dead?

"Fight like a man," he says, "If you can, get your hands into the gill openings on the side of the shark which are very sensitive."

He also debunks the myth that remaining motionless may fool a circling shark into ignoring you and heading off for other prey.

"Whatever you do, don't ever play dead, if you're attacked and you can't escape you will have to fight back and then get out of the water as soon as you can."

Aidan Martin, Director of Australia's Reefquest Centre for Shark Research, echoes Mr Burgess' advice but adds that it's important not to panic.

"That may seem like a tall order under the circumstances, but most shark attacks result in injuries that are readily survivable. Do nothing to unnecessarily incite a retaliatory strike... I have no doubt it's possible to annoy a shark."

Mr Martin adds you should try to staunch any bleeding, even before you get out of the water.

So, full marks to attack-survivor Mr Williams who responded exactly as recommended. But should we all be more aware of the dangers? Are sharks attacking more humans?

Responsibility

Decade on decade the number of shark attacks on people has increased.

However, Mr Burgess says, this is only because the number of humans spending more time in the water, and in deeper waters too. In effect, people are invading the sharks' territory.

"When I starting diving years ago we were oddballs, now it is a very common water activity. In reality, we're pushing the sharks out of the water."

Mr Martin agrees: "We need to stop treating the ocean like a swimming pool. It is a wilderness. And when we enter this liquid wilderness, we must assume responsibility for our own safety."

lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

here comes summer. lunch is served. :D Girl May Be Volusia County's First Shark Bite Victim Of Year

POSTED: 11:44 am EDT April 20, 2006

A 13-year-old girl may be Volusia County's first shark bite victim of the year, WKMG-TV in Orlando reported.

The Clearwater girl was standing in knee-deep water at about 3 p.m. Wednesday when something bit her, she told authorities.

Records show at least 18 people were attacked by sharks last year in Florida.
BabyRider

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by BabyRider »

lady cop wrote: here comes summer. lunch is served. :D Girl May Be Volusia County's First Shark Bite Victim Of Year

POSTED: 11:44 am EDT April 20, 2006

A 13-year-old girl may be Volusia County's first shark bite victim of the year, WKMG-TV in Orlando reported.

The Clearwater girl was standing in knee-deep water at about 3 p.m. Wednesday when something bit her, she told authorities.

Records show at least 18 people were attacked by sharks last year in Florida.

Can I ask a stupid question? How did the girl not see the shark coming in 3 feet of water?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

BabyRider wrote: Can I ask a stupid question? How did the girl not see the shark coming in 3 feet of water? most attacks take place at that depth because that's where most people are swimming/playing. the water has no real visability in north florida, it was probably a small shark who just tasted her. to get crystal clear water you need to be in deep south florida and keys. :-6 ...not a stupid question!
BabyRider

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by BabyRider »

lady cop wrote: most attacks take place at that depth because that's where most people are swimming/playing. the water has no real visability in north florida, it was probably a small shark who just tasted her. to get crystal clear water you need to be in deep south florida and keys. :-6 ...not a stupid question!
See? You learn something every day!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

Bestselling Author Bitten By Shark Off Fla. Coast

POSTED: 12:33 am EDT April 22, 2006

UPDATED: 1:25 am EDT April 22, 2006

A bestselling author received more than 100 stitches after he was bitten by a shark in Brevard County, Fla., according to Local 6 News.

Davis Bunn said he was on a surfboard near Sebastian Inlet when a large shark bit his feet.

"Paddling out from a wave, I got hit from behind and never saw it," Bunn said. "(There was) no warning, nothing."

After the attack, Davis managed to paddle to shore for help.

Davis said he will not surf alone again.
lady cop

Shark Attack Files ~~~~~

Post by lady cop »

being Hawaii, probably a tiger shark.~~~~

Man attacked by shark off Maui beach

POSTED: 11:10 a.m. EST, November 12, 2006

KIHEI, Hawaii (AP) -- A shark attacked a man swimming at a Maui beach Saturday, injuring his leg and hand, authorities said.

Kyle Gruen, 29, of Vancouver, Canada, was about 30 to 40 feet offshore when the shark grabbed his left side, said his twin brother, Jeff Gruen, who was at the beach when the attack happened.

"He was swimming along when just all of a sudden it got him," Jeff Gruen told The Honolulu Advertiser. "He pulled away and kicked it off, and it took off right away."

Maui County spokeswoman Ellen Pelissero said the victim was attacked near Kihei. He was listed in stable condition at Maui Memorial Medical Center.

As a precaution, authorities closed beaches about one mile in either direction of the attack.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”