facts about smoking

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
roseman

facts about smoking

Post by roseman »

Smoking is a dangerous and self-destructive habit. Various poisons contained within tobacco smoke cause or contribute to cancer of the mouth and lungs, heart problems, emphysema, gum disease and a variety of other physical diseases.

Cigarette smoking is the most preventable cause of premature death in the United States . That’s important! Want evidence of the dangers of smoking?

Consider these statistics:

A smoker’s risk of heart attack is more than twice that of nonsmokers. Cigarette smoking is the biggest risk factor for sudden cardiac death -- smokers are looking at two to four times the risk of nonsmokers. Studies have shown that cigarette smoking is also an important risk factor for stroke. The evidence also indicates that chronic exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (secondhand smoke, passive smoking) may increase the risk of heart disease.

Most smokers sincerely want to quit. They know cigarettes threaten their health, set a bad example for their children, annoy their acquaintances and cost an inordinate amount of money.

Nobody can force a smoker to quit. It's something each person has to decide for himself., Sometimes the cigarette is used as a tranquilizer.. Once a smoker understands his own smoking behavior, he will be able to cope more successfully and select the best quitting approaches for himself and the type of life-style he leads.

Quitting is hard, but don't give up!

Quit smoking Now! For better Life,,!!!

http://partnerclicks.net/click.php?APID=2&affID=0001008
theia

facts about smoking

Post by theia »

I wonder how many people in the Garden are smokers? I am and yes, I'd prefer to be without the addiction, but I haven't had much success in trying to give up. And, aside from the health concerns, cigarettes are now £4.50 and above per pack of 20 in the UK.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
scotty

facts about smoking

Post by scotty »

Yip it is indeed a bad habit to get into but I blame the tabacco companys, using all those addictive ingriedents to hook smokers.

I have stopped smoking for 13 years now and find a real difference with my sences .But on the down side I have put on a lot more weight, and to be honest I dont think you ever lose the craving for a cigerette , sometimes I find my self lachting on to trails of smoke when someone passes me smoking.

Its really a thing of the past .
abbey

facts about smoking

Post by abbey »

I did try to read it honest,

but the smoke from my cig got in me eyes!
abbey

facts about smoking

Post by abbey »

flopstock wrote:

And a note of caution *******...don't f**k with me before i've had my first cigarette of the day, okay?:mad:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

actionfigurestepho

facts about smoking

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Have you seen all the flavored tobaccos that are coming out now?

I'm an occasional smoker (a pack every month or two) so I enjoy trying the new Camel flavors. They're very subtle.
nvalleyvee

facts about smoking

Post by nvalleyvee »

Thanks Flop for pointing out the link thing. I never click on them because BTS taught me they make money. It pisses the crap out of him too. I still smoke - even after cancer - afterall - it wasn't lung cancer :-5 :-5
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Jives

facts about smoking

Post by Jives »

Ooooooo..I hate webscammers.

But I'd have to say I'm anti-smoking. It killed my father, it's killing my wife, and it will eventually kill my son thereby wiping out my entire little family.:(
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
LWR VENTURES

facts about smoking

Post by LWR VENTURES »

I’m with Jives. Smoking took my father. Then years latter took my mother. She was on portable oxygen tanks right before she died. She had just turned sixty. I quit smoking about six years ago. So hopefully my kids want pick them up. What I do like is that schools these days consider cigarettes contraband. At least the schools around hear do. When I was a kid. You could not only take cigarettes to school, they had a designated smoking area. Even though the originating post for this thread was a scam. I will add a couple of things that it left out. Of the several thousand different chemicals you draw into your body on every drag. Several hundred are known carcinogenic. Many are radioactive. But all most all of them are toxic to the body. You can joke about it all you want. But kind of hard to laugh, when you can’t breath. Just my opinion!
scotty

facts about smoking

Post by scotty »

I remenber as a kid drying out leaves and trying to smoke them bloody awful they were, next up was Cinnomon sticks from the local growcery store a little improvement , they tasted fine if you fancied chewing them but to smoke them burned the throat.

After that there was only going to one smoke for me WOODBINES lol a real nasty fag with no filter but one you had to smoke as it made you look tough HA what a joke when you think about it you look really hard when your coughing your guts out lol.

I suppose i was hooked from an early age maybe around 10 ,11 cant remember it was long time ago but that was me on the smokies . Tried smoking dope loved the taste but couldnt handle loosing my awareness , i like knowing whats happening to me , but hey each to their own i couldnt afford it now anyway and I have just replaced it with another vice FOOD.

I also got the perfect excuse to pack them in when my lad was born with asthma the doc asked if anyone smoked in the house , Hand raised aye me DOC that was enough for me.

Mind I`m a fat git now lol:wah:
Jives

facts about smoking

Post by Jives »

Far Rider wrote: My first memory of smokin' was an ol' Herb down at the parts store

You were smokin" HERB down at the gas station?!! Hmmm... I never figured you for a pot smoker, Far. ROFL!:D
LWR VENTURES

facts about smoking

Post by LWR VENTURES »

I guess I may have gained a few pounds. But sense I didn’t surfer from bronchitis every other month, I had the energy to burn them back off. Never been that slim, LOL. Besides you have to gain an awful lot of weight to equal the damage that cigarettes cause to the body. Every ask a smoker why they were smoking as they were hacking their lungs out. I have actually heard some say, “Its not the cigarette, its this bronchitis”. I actually remember saying that myself, once or twice. Man, I must have really had nicotine on the brain.
scotty

facts about smoking

Post by scotty »

“Its not the cigarette, its this bronchitis”. lol :wah:
Jives

facts about smoking

Post by Jives »

LWR VENTURES wrote: . I have actually heard some say, “Its not the cigarette, its this bronchitis”. I actually remember saying that myself, once or twice. Man, I must have really had nicotine on the brain.

Yes, "Denial" isn't just a river in Africa anymore. :D My wife has smoker's hack in the morning and I ask her, "Doesn't that hurt? Why don't you stop?" and she always replies, "Oh, I just have allergies today.":rolleyes:
theia

facts about smoking

Post by theia »

Jives wrote: Yes, "Denial" isn't just a river in Africa anymore. :D My wife has smoker's hack in the morning and I ask her, "Doesn't that hurt? Why don't you stop?" and she always replies, "Oh, I just have allergies today.":rolleyes:

That's a good one. I must remember..."allergies"
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
LWR VENTURES

facts about smoking

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Ever heard a smoker say, “I don’t like smoking, but I can’t quit”. If I had waited till I stopped liking cigarettes to quit, I would still be smoking. Most smokers love cigarettes. Heck some Xsmokers love cigarettes. They just don’t smoke them. So if you decide to quit, don’t say, I hate these things so I’m going to try and quit. Because you are basing it on a lie, and setting up failure, by using the word “try”. At the risk of sounding like Yoda, there is no try.
BabyRider

facts about smoking

Post by BabyRider »

scotty wrote: Yip it is indeed a bad habit to get into but I blame the tabacco companys, using all those addictive ingriedents to hook smokers.

Oh definitely, blame the tobacco companies, because every smoker everywhere has had a gun held to their head from the first puff they ever took, till now. What a crock. Smoking is a CHOICE. Yes, it's addictive, yes it's disgusting, but a smoker smokes because they CHOOSE to smoke, and nothing else. Period, end of sentence, next paragraph.

This is so indicative of the massive problems in our society. Lack of accountability. Blame every other damn thing except the individual.

Yep, I smoke. Am I aware of the risks to my health? Yes. Am I capable of quitting? Yes. Have I quit? No. Is it up to anyone else in the world whether I quit or continue? No. Just me.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

minks

facts about smoking

Post by minks »

BabyRider wrote: Oh definitely, blame the tobacco companies, because every smoker everywhere has had a gun held to their head from the first puff they ever took, till now. What a crock. Smoking is a CHOICE. Yes, it's addictive, yes it's disgusting, but a smoker smokes because they CHOOSE to smoke, and nothing else. Period, end of sentence, next paragraph.

This is so indicative of the massive problems in our society. Lack of accountability. Blame every other damn thing except the individual.

Yep, I smoke. Am I aware of the risks to my health? Yes. Am I capable of quitting? Yes. Have I quit? No. Is it up to anyone else in the world whether I quit or continue? No. Just me.

Period, end of sentence, next paragraph.

hehehe amen sista
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
pina

facts about smoking

Post by pina »

BabyRider wrote: Oh definitely, blame the tobacco companies, because every smoker everywhere has had a gun held to their head from the first puff they ever took, till now. What a crock. Smoking is a CHOICE. Yes, it's addictive, yes it's disgusting, but a smoker smokes because they CHOOSE to smoke, and nothing else. Period, end of sentence, next paragraph.

Spot on there BR. It is a choice I smoke and it is my choice and no I havn't tried to quit I enjoy it.......and I only pay about 1 pound a packet

pina

facts about smoking

Post by pina »

I think I'll have a ciggy with my coffee :D

abbey

facts about smoking

Post by abbey »

flopstock wrote: Have you ever noticed that the 'exsmoker' is pretty much impossible to be around? And that everytime they open their mouth you get an overwhelming urge to light up?

Personally I feel they do this on purpose. It's not my fault that I smoke, it's the non smokers who drive me to it every day.:sneaky:They are the worst, especially when they've just give up (no disrespect) but i hate it when they continually wave their hand over your cig and bang on about how bad it is for you... like we dont know!!:-5
abbey

facts about smoking

Post by abbey »

pina wrote: I think I'll have a ciggy with my coffee :DI'm having several with my wine.
theia

facts about smoking

Post by theia »

All things go in cycles. I'm just waiting for cigarettes to be the new "must have" I shall then be at the vanguard. If I'm still here.

Pina, one pound per packet is just not fair!
pina

facts about smoking

Post by pina »

theia wrote: All things go in cycles. I'm just waiting for cigarettes to be the new "must have" I shall then be at the vanguard. If I'm still here.

Pina, one pound per packet is just not fair!

I don't have to pay all that tax on mine, we have more smokers living here than non smokers. The spanish even smoke going round the supermarkets and when you go into a bank there is a big ashtray on the counter next to the teller for them and customers to use:D

LWR VENTURES

facts about smoking

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Xsmokers make smokers smoke more. That is interesting. Well I can only speak for myself. I have never given a smoker who lit up around me any kind of advise. Unless of course they ask And boy do they ask. Questions like, didn’t you use to smoke? How did you quit? What did you use? Then the strangest thing! They get mad when you try to answer their questions. I have learned to treat most of those questions as being rhetorical. Most really don’t want to know. Most of the time I just tell them, I’m just to cheap to buy them. I know some Xsmokers will cop that holier than thou attitude. But I have also seen smokers offer Xsmokers cigarettes. Here lately I have been taking them. When they ask , aren’t you going to smoke that? I tell them, You know I quit years ago. And I be damned if they don’t ask for their cigarette back. Sames that being friendly was not their only motive, LOL.
theia

facts about smoking

Post by theia »

pina wrote: I don't have to pay all that tax on mine, we have more smokers living here than non smokers. The spanish even smoke going round the supermarkets and when you go into a bank there is a big ashtray on the counter next to the teller for them and customers to use:D

Same when I used to visit Brittany a couple of years ago. I would go with 5 non smokers and it was quite amusing when an ashtray was put in the middle of our table in a restaurant! But the atmosphere was so much more relaxed there. People smoked or they didn't. But neither seemed to annoy the other.
pina

facts about smoking

Post by pina »

Still the same with ashtrays everywhere, the only people who I've heard complain about smoking were some English people on holiday here eating a meal at a table outside the restaurant in the sun they thought we were all spanish and could'nt understand what they were saying. We had just finished our meal and lit up when they complained.......there were six of us so we all smoked one after the other while we had a few drinks.

buttercup

facts about smoking

Post by buttercup »

flopstock wrote: WOW YOU HEALTHNUT YOU!!

DID YOU PERHAPS FORGET TO DISCLOSE THAT YOU MAKE MONEY EVERYTIME SOMEONE CLICKS ON THE LINK IN YOUR STORY AND BUYS THE PRODUCT YOU ARE PUSHING TODAY??

And a note of caution *******...don't f**k with me before i've had my first cigarette of the day, okay?:mad:

hee hee, you tell em flopstock :D
theia

facts about smoking

Post by theia »

I used to use carriage B on the train. This was the one carriage for smokers. And still people would walk through flapping their arms around and complaining. Why?
pina

facts about smoking

Post by pina »

theia wrote: I used to use carriage B on the train. This was the one carriage for smokers. And still people would walk through flapping their arms around and complaining. Why?

I know you said (used to) but that must have been a while ago I can't remember the last time any public transport in UK allowed smoking. When did it stop?

theia

facts about smoking

Post by theia »

pina wrote: I know you said (used to) but that must have been a while ago I can't remember the last time any public transport in UK allowed smoking. When did it stop?

I'm not sure but I think it must have been middle 90s. So then we would all have to disembark at various stations, puff away and hope that the train didn't leave without us. Exciting stuff for some but not for those neurotics like me with a complex about missing trains.
LWR VENTURES

facts about smoking

Post by LWR VENTURES »

LOL, Sure I guess it is possible. But like I said. I have never said anything to a smoker unless they asked. Of course that has left me with some guilt in regards to some of my relatives. But I don’t think that voicing my opinion more would have mattered much. I think they offer , because sometimes they forget I quit, some offer just as an honest friendly jester. I know I use to feel more comfortable smoking around someone, if they too were smoking.Sometimes when I decline the offer, the smoker smiles and chuckles. Which makes me think that it may have been some kind of test. But atlas, I don’t read minds. One of these days I’m going to ask them , what is so funny? I hope I am not presenting an attitude here. If I am. I do apologize. This thread was about the facts of smoking. Boy it sure did attract a lot of smokers! Go figure, LOL.
pina

facts about smoking

Post by pina »

The only places we are not allowed to smoke here is on public transport, the guards on the local trains jump off at the stations and puff away before jumping back on. If we jump off we lose our seat. And the drivers smoke in there cabs, when we get a seat near you can smell it......Not fair for us passengers.

LWR VENTURES

facts about smoking

Post by LWR VENTURES »

I actually like smoking! I did not quit because I disliked it. So I do not mind being around smokers. I still like the smell. And if they are not related to me, I could careless if they smoke. So I don’t believe that it is my attitude that is the problem. But the next time they offer me one I will ask if it is because of my attitude. Then I will come back and let you know, LOL
theia

facts about smoking

Post by theia »

Personally I think we're a pretty friendly bunch considering we're blamed for just about every ill known to man.
LWR VENTURES

facts about smoking

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Well you bunch are really friendly, for a bunch of smokers. LMAO. Just

kidding!
theia

facts about smoking

Post by theia »

According to a health promotion advertisement on television a few minutes ago, smoking also causes impotence
Betty Boop

facts about smoking

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: According to a health promotion advertisement on television a few minutes ago, smoking also causes impotence

oh dear i'd better give up straight away!!!!:wah:
pina

facts about smoking

Post by pina »

theia wrote: According to a health promotion advertisement on television a few minutes ago, smoking also causes impotence

I have seen this ad its hilarious:yh_rotfl

Return to “General Chit Chat”