What Would You Do?

QUINNSCOMMENTARY

What Would You Do?

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

What should I do?

About a year ago the seventeen year old daughter of one of my employees was found to have a brain tumor, a few months later she had a stroke and has been in the hospital ever since. Now the hospital, the health plan and the treating doctor believe the child needs to leave the hospital and enter a rehab situation with less intensive care. There is nothing more they can do in the hospital setting. The parents are understandably upset and want the child to stay in the hospital, the mother is beside herself with worry and yet from all indications moving the child is the right thing to do.

However, the mother is seeking help from me and our management to force the health plan to allow the child to stay in the hospital. I cannot do that, there is no medical necessity to do so and in addition, there is a tremendous cost difference between the two types of facilities.

The parents don’t want to hear any of this logic they just want the best (in their minds) for the child. They want 24-hour care by doctors and nurses. This is the perfect big bad insurance company horror story, but you know all the issues behind what you may read in the newspaper about a sick child being “kicked out of the hospital.”

So, what would you do? Should a health plan give unlimited care and meet all the demands of patients and their families? :(
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
Accountable

What Would You Do?

Post by Accountable »

That sucks all the way 'round, but even a national healthcare system wouldn't spend more on a child than justified simply to appease a parent. That part of your job reeks, man.
CARLA

What Would You Do?

Post by CARLA »

A "Rehab Facility" is full care and is usually part of a Hospital. They offer excellent care and provide physical rehabilitation for their patients. In most cases the patients in a "Hospital" are transported to the Rehab building for their Physical rehabilitation then brought back.

There daughter will receive good care in most cases in a"Rehab Facility" they just have to go see one and get her transfered to one of their choice that their Insurance covers.

They need to become part of the solution and then they will see that it is going to happen so get on board and make the right decisions for their daughter. There is people on staff at the Hospital that can help them through this process. There is NO Insurance carrier that is going to keep her in accuate care Hospital when she needs to be in a rehab facility, just not going to happen.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Accountable

What Would You Do?

Post by Accountable »

rjwould;911315 wrote: Its nice that they had health care.
That's debatable. She'd get better care the poorer the family is.

You don't honestly think a hospital would let her sit on the emergency room doorstep and die, do you?
Patsy Warnick

What Would You Do?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

rj

your right - they're lucky for having Health Ins.

Quinn

At this stage of the childs care Hosp. has done all they can do - she needs to be moved to a facility - Parents need to educate themselves in the childs condition.

Parents need to realize the facility monitors patients. This is too much anxiety for them to think rational - they're scared. Could they or have they spoken to a Chaplin or counselor?

Quinn - you stated a REHAB Facility - will she or is she capable of any physical movement on her own ? I can't imagine she's capable of much.

Is she in a vegetation state? or is there some hope on improvement?

This is a sad situation

Patsy
Accountable

What Would You Do?

Post by Accountable »

rjwould;911346 wrote: No! Hospitals can't do that, people can.
I'm glad America isn't the cesspool you insist it is. :yh_flag
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

What Would You Do?

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

Patsy Warnick;911342 wrote: rj

your right - they're lucky for having Health Ins.

Quinn

At this stage of the childs care Hosp. has done all they can do - she needs to be moved to a facility - Parents need to educate themselves in the childs condition.

Parents need to realize the facility monitors patients. This is too much anxiety for them to think rational - they're scared. Could they or have they spoken to a Chaplin or counselor?

Quinn - you stated a REHAB Facility - will she or is she capable of any physical movement on her own ? I can't imagine she's capable of much.

Is she in a vegetation state? or is there some hope on improvement?

This is a sad situation

Patsy

There is some hope, she is not vegetative.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
Accountable

What Would You Do?

Post by Accountable »

rjwould;911378 wrote: Did I say that, or are you extrapolating? :)
You said it dozens of times in dozens of ways, but I remember your taboo about reading meaning into your words, so yes I extrapolated.
Accountable

What Would You Do?

Post by Accountable »

rjwould;911398 wrote: I wonder why I bothered having children then. Would you mind explaining that to me please so I can get some sleep tonight?
Ya got me. I don't live in a society rife with racism, that has people dying in the street while uncaring doctors step over them on the way to their golf date.
BTS

What Would You Do?

Post by BTS »

Accountable;911405 wrote: Ya got me. I don't live in a society rife with racism, that has people dying in the street while uncaring doctors step over them on the way to their golf date.

ACC.....there you go again......... stop feedin de monkeys

Just more reasons why we need to clone from now on (I believe might be rj's reasoning).......

oops sorry mom I "extrapolated" me pants again
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Nomad

What Would You Do?

Post by Nomad »

Im sorry but I thought Id read you were retired.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Health Care”