Question for women

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

I'm about to have a breast biopsy done. So many people in my family have had one form or another of cancer and so many have died from it, needless to say, I'm am scared to death. Has anyone else dealt with the biopsy and can share your experience with me...pain especially? On the thread or privately. Thanks.
mrsK

Question for women

Post by mrsK »

shelbell;894873 wrote: I'm about to have a breast biopsy done. So many people in my family have had one form or another of cancer and so many have died from it, needless to say, I'm am scared to death. Has anyone else dealt with the biopsy and can share your experience with me...pain especially? On the thread or privately. Thanks.

Depends what sort of biopsy you are having done.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Lon

Question for women

Post by Lon »

shelbell;894873 wrote: I'm about to have a breast biopsy done. So many people in my family have had one form or another of cancer and so many have died from it, needless to say, I'm am scared to death. Has anyone else dealt with the biopsy and can share your experience with me...pain especially? On the thread or privately. Thanks.

You will not die from a biopsy, but you can die from cancer. Any pain from a biopsy is better than dying of cancer. Get the biopsy. I have had four, no pain at all. Wife has had two for suspected breast cancer, also no pain. Get it done!!!!
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

mrsK;894883 wrote: Depends what sort of biopsy you are having done.

I'm having an Ultrasound-Guided Core needle Biopsy
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

Lon;895356 wrote: You will not die from a biopsy, but you can die from cancer. Any pain from a biopsy is better than dying of cancer. Get the biopsy. I have had four, no pain at all. Wife has had two for suspected breast cancer, also no pain. Get it done!!!!

I'm scheduled for the 30th and will get the results on the 1st. The reason for the pain question is that I don't respond to local anesthics...they don't work at all. And I agree with you, it's better to have it done than the other option.
Malady Ash

Question for women

Post by Malady Ash »

I had a breast lump scare a few years ago and i know the anxiety you are feeling just now. I was fortunate and i didnt need a biopsy, but i have friends who have had a biopsy and they say that its not as bad as you imagine it to be. We are all scared of the unknown, but it does need doing to get a proper diagnosis and you will get peace of mind from it. Remember that most breast lumps are benign, and the nursing staff and doctors are so good at there job and they know you will be nervous and will give you all the reassurance you need. So please have it done, think to yourself it's only 20 minutes of that day you have to get past, and then you can carry on with your life.

Good luck hun and i hope that the results will give you the best outcome.

Hugs malady ash. xxxx
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

Malady Ash;895633 wrote: I had a breast lump scare a few years ago and i know the anxiety you are feeling just now. I was fortunate and i didnt need a biopsy, but i have friends who have had a biopsy and they say that its not as bad as you imagine it to be. We are all scared of the unknown, but it does need doing to get a proper diagnosis and you will get peace of mind from it. Remember that most breast lumps are benign, and the nursing staff and doctors are so good at there job and they know you will be nervous and will give you all the reassurance you need. So please have it done, think to yourself it's only 20 minutes of that day you have to get past, and then you can carry on with your life.

Good luck hun and i hope that the results will give you the best outcome.

Hugs malady ash. xxxx

Thanks Malady...you're so right about the staff, everyone's been awesome so far and I know they will be able to get a good sample. This spot didn't even show up on my mammogram, but they found it during a follow up ultrasound when they wanted to double check to make sure a couple small spots that did show up on the mammogram were in fact just lymphnodes. Pretty freaked out, but it's out of my hands and in Gods. Thanks so much for the encouragement!!:)
mrsK

Question for women

Post by mrsK »

shelbell;895573 wrote: I'm having an Ultrasound-Guided Core needle Biopsy

It won't hurt very much.

I hope everything will be fine ,best to get it done than not at all:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

mrsK;895654 wrote: It won't hurt very much.

I hope everything will be fine ,best to get it done than not at all:-6

Thanks mrsK...everyone has been so encouraging, it's like having a cyber family. Even after just a few days, I can understand why FG is so addictive.:D
TallulahDahling

Question for women

Post by TallulahDahling »

shelbell;895574 wrote: I'm scheduled for the 30th and will get the results on the 1st. The reason for the pain question is that I don't respond to local anesthics...they don't work at all. And I agree with you, it's better to have it done than the other option.

Hi Shelbell. It's no big deal at all. Hardest part is keeping still. I found a lump in my breast a year ago and had to have a mastectomy. I've gone through the chemo and radiation and am now planning my reconstruction. Early detection is the key! Spread the word that self-exams are too! Good luck and God bless! Tallu :yh_flower
kayleneaussie

Question for women

Post by kayleneaussie »

You will do fine Shel. Let us know how things go and in the mean time my love and thought are with you. Good luck :-6
FOC THREAD PART 1
watermark

Question for women

Post by watermark »

There aren't a lot of options besides a biopsy for detecting breast cancer difinitively. I've had two of them and then I said no more because I felt they were useless in my situation. A core needle biopsy from what I've gathered should be used when your doctor suspects there is fluid in the cyst. If you have a solid lump then a needle biopsy won't find much and will probably result in you having a reg biopsy if the pathologists can't make sense of the cells they pull (the needle tends to distort the cells that come through). It doesn't hurt. I had a needle biopsy without anesthesia or maybe a little topical, nothing even close to general.

Don't be afraid. Most lumps and cysts are benign and if the procedure finds something then you can do something about it. :)

Erin

I have to edit because I thought about it and I don't think it was a core needle but a regular needle biopsy that I had. I've read only a little about the core needle; I think it's much different than the other kind I had, more like a regular biopsy. I'd be interested to hear more about your experience (either offline or here) if you don't mind telling me. Breast cancer research, in my opinion, needs to focus not only on best treatments but in diagnosis in least invasive manner possible. It shouldn't be so hard for diagnosis to happen with the great technology available to eliminate false positive results. That is what scares me out of my gourd and then makes me distrust the medical community even more in providing my breast healthcare.
Ally

Question for women

Post by Ally »

Hi Shelbell, Iv had 2 needle biopsy's and tho im not going to say its a walk in the park unfortunatly they do hurt a bit but its all for the best its very quick.Was panicking with my 1st one then wen they came back the doctor wanted another one so its very scary,but thankkfully they were all ok.You need to get them done, the sooner the better.If there happens to be anything there its better to be caught in the early stages. Ur not alone so keep ur chin up we are all thinking of u.
scholle-kid

Question for women

Post by scholle-kid »

((((((((((((shebell))))))))))))

I have had a totally different biopsy done so have no info for you on your appointment connibg up , but I wanted to say you take care of you and remember we will all be thinking of you and keeping you close while you going thur what ever is comming your way,, Love and Light ,,,XXXXXXXX
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

TallulahDahling;902852 wrote: Hi Shelbell. It's no big deal at all. Hardest part is keeping still. I found a lump in my breast a year ago and had to have a mastectomy. I've gone through the chemo and radiation and am now planning my reconstruction. Early detection is the key! Spread the word that self-exams are too! Good luck and God bless! Tallu :yh_flower

Thanks Tallulah, it helps to hear from someone that's gone thru this kind of thing. Your outlook and optimism is refreshing and encouraging.
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

kayleneaussie;902859 wrote: You will do fine Shel. Let us know how things go and in the mean time my love and thought are with you. Good luck :-6

I'll definitely update everyone. My biopsy is tomorrow (technically today) and I'll get the results on Tuesday. Thanks!
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

Thanks Erin, I'll let you know how it all works...sounds interesting, but kinda painful.
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

Ally;902895 wrote: Hi Shelbell, Iv had 2 needle biopsy's and tho im not going to say its a walk in the park unfortunatly they do hurt a bit but its all for the best its very quick.Was panicking with my 1st one then wen they came back the doctor wanted another one so its very scary,but thankkfully they were all ok.You need to get them done, the sooner the better.If there happens to be anything there its better to be caught in the early stages. Ur not alone so keep ur chin up we are all thinking of u.

Thanks Ally!
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

scholle-kid;903067 wrote: ((((((((((((shebell))))))))))))

I have had a totally different biopsy done so have no info for you on your appointment connibg up , but I wanted to say you take care of you and remember we will all be thinking of you and keeping you close while you going thur what ever is comming your way,, Love and Light ,,,XXXXXXXX

Thanks for the hugs scholle! I'm so thankful for everyones support here. :)
K.Snyder

Question for women

Post by K.Snyder »

Yes it's always best to find cancer early...I'm sure you know this but I'm thinking that you're overwhelmingly scared of finding that you may have cancer...Just take comfort in that todays technology allows for you to get it taken care of much more efficiently...
Chezzie

Question for women

Post by Chezzie »

Good luck with today Shelbel:-6

I am fortunate that ive not had to endure anything like that as yet but I work for Cervical and Breast screenig and all I can say it the earlier you get sorted the better the outcome is for most people...

Take care x:-6
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

All the test results came back fine. What a big sigh of relief when they told me. I go for a follow up in 6 months, then another 6 months, then back to the yearly. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster! I went to bed at 6 last night and didn't wake up til 8 this morning. So, all is fine and I want to thank everyone on this thread for your thoughts, prayers, and general kindness and encouragement. :-6
shelbell

Question for women

Post by shelbell »

Erin, the biopsy wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A core biopsy uses a larger needle than the fine needle biopsy. They Insert the needle into the suspected area and then it sounds like a loud click twice. Then they remove the needle and the samples and then did the same thing 2 more times. It wasn't the most pleasant feeling but wasn't too bad. I have minimal tenderness and very little bruising. The best part of it was when they told me there was absolutely no cancer at all and this is just something women get as they get older ( I just turned 44). There was the doctor and 2 nurses in the room and they must have asked me 20 times how I was doing. Not a bad experience, just a scary one. :-6 I forgot, the size of the samples were about the size of a pencil lead.
Patsy Warnick

Question for women

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Shel

I was @ 44 when I had a lump removed .

I'm glad all is positive or I should say negative for cancer...

Remember not to use that arm much as the inner is tender and nerves have been

interrupted.

Good news

Patsy
scholle-kid

Question for women

Post by scholle-kid »

shelbell;905337 wrote: Erin, the biopsy wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A core biopsy uses a larger needle than the fine needle biopsy. They Insert the needle into the suspected area and then it sounds like a loud click twice. Then they remove the needle and the samples and then did the same thing 2 more times. It wasn't the most pleasant feeling but wasn't too bad. I have minimal tenderness and very little bruising. The best part of it was when they told me there was absolutely no cancer at all and this is just something women get as they get older ( I just turned 44). There was the doctor and 2 nurses in the room and they must have asked me 20 times how I was doing. Not a bad experience, just a scary one. :-6 I forgot, the size of the samples were about the size of a pencil lead.
This is just exactly the news that was hoped for !!:D

I can relate (2n hand) to the feeling you felt when they gave you the "no cancer " news , 2 years ago a close family member had a scare of cancer and he received he news about his .
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.

Return to “Women's Health”