Hindus celebrate Festival of Lights

Discuss Sikhism, Shinto, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Kabbalah, others.
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Today is Deepavali. Hindus in India and all over the world celebrate this festival of lights. Deepavali means 'Row of Lamps'. It is a unique festival which signifies the victory of righteousness over spritual darkness and celebrated by various sections of Indian society including Sikhs, Jains and other faiths in their own way. People light their homes, wish each other prosperity and offer sweets.

Next month, Indian Christians will celebrate the festival of Christmas. This year after Deepavali, Indian muslims will be celebrating Id-ul-fitr marking the end of the Holy month of Ramzan. This is the season of festivals in India.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
gmc

Post by gmc »

Apparently Leicester has the largest hindu festival outside of India. I think we should combine this, christmas and new year celebrations, chinese new year and have a world party for three months. Best case for a multi ethnic society I can think of.
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

gmc wrote: Apparently Leicester has the largest hindu festival outside of India. I think we should combine this, christmas and new year celebrations, chinese new year and have a world party for three months. Best case for a multi ethnic society I can think of.

A wonderful idea. Hindu thought that 'World is a Family' will become a reality. Many other religions also teach 'Universal brotherhood'.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

gmc

Post by gmc »

Why this time of year for the festival of lights? The timing of easter and christmas make sense in a european context in the both are located at a point when the seasons are changing, The timing was hijacked to replace pagan festivals as the early christians couldn't stop people celebrating. Easter the start of spring and christmas used to be the pagan festival called saturnalia by the romans-sun return, makes a lot of sense as the days start to get longer the difference is quite marked in the wild and wooly north, you feel like you've turned a corner and survived winter, which was the reason to celebrate in the first place. New year was always more important than christmas.

In India is there a similar climatic change to account for the timing? excuse my ignorance.
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

gmc wrote: Why this time of year for the festival of lights? The timing of easter and christmas make sense in a european context in the both are located at a point when the seasons are changing, The timing was hijacked to replace pagan festivals as the early christians couldn't stop people celebrating. Easter the start of spring and christmas used to be the pagan festival called saturnalia by the romans-sun return, makes a lot of sense as the days start to get longer the difference is quite marked in the wild and wooly north, you feel like you've turned a corner and survived winter, which was the reason to celebrate in the first place. New year was always more important than christmas.

In India is there a similar climatic change to account for the timing? excuse my ignorance.

India is a living example of unity in diversity. Deepavali is one such festival which encapsulates diverse India. Indian people all across the country celebrate Deepavali in various ways and manifestations.

As per Ramayana, people bursting into joy lighted up their homes on the return of Rama from 14 years of exile in the forest and victory over Ravana. In north India people celebrate this day to mark the return of Rama to Ayodhya and victory of good over evil. People also worship Godess of wealth Laxmi and God of Intelligence Ganesha.

In Gujrat, people welcome the new year and Godess Laxmi in their homes. Sikhs celebrate it to mark the day of return of their sixth Guru Hargovindji from captivity. Jains on this day, celebrate the attainment of Nirvaana by Lord Mahavira. People in Bengal honour the Godess Kali, who cuts down impurities, consumes all iniquities and purifies everyone with the sense of love.

Deepavali reminds the people that evil is very much around us and needs to be routed out proactively.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Post by koan »

Suresh :-6

My friend missed the festival of lights by two days this year. I was wondering if you had any photos of this year's festivities that I could print out for him? It would make him very happy.
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Suresh :-6

My friend missed the festival of lights by two days this year. I was wondering if you had any photos of this year's festivities that I could print out for him? It would make him very happy.

Sure. Just give me your's or their e-mail ID. I will e-mail few photos connected with Deepavali.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Return to “Eastern Religions”