Dyspraxia or Autism?

A forum for our physically challenged members.
Betty Boop

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by Betty Boop »

Can anyone give me advice on getting Autism diagnosed, or at least ruled out!!

My eight year old son was born premature at 32 weeks. He has been behind in all his developmental stages all his life. Our GP wasn't much help at all and when he started at Nursery he finally got referred to lots of health professionals, he started Mainstream school a year late and eventually we got a diagnosis of Dyspraxia.(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/madel ... ysprax.htm)

The label of Dyspraxia allows him a statement of a maximum 15 hours a week one to one help at school. We have fought long and hard with the education authority and he is finally up to his maximum of 15 hours.

He needs more, ie full one to one help for the whole school day, but we need to get a better diagnosis and I just don't know where to go next. Whenever I ask if he could have Autism the health pros just shrug their shoulders and say they're not allowed to make such a diagnosis, and can give me no other 'label' for me to push for testing. Everybody wants a better diagnosis but it's almost as if it's down to me to identify the problem and then find someone to diagnose it!!

I feel like I am literally banging my head against a brick wall!:-5
chonsigirl

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by chonsigirl »

Here is a link to look at, I hope it will help you Betty.

http://www.nas.org.uk/
Betty Boop

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by Betty Boop »

Thanks Chonsi, I've already been there and searched through.

Why do we have to fight so hard just to get some help, if my son was abusive and violent to his teachers he'd have everything chucked at him, free holidays, days out, presents, full time one to one etc etc. :-5
chonsigirl

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by chonsigirl »

Have you asked the school psychologist to test him? Is there somewhere else you could go to for testing, to see what is the correct diagnosis?
hotsauce

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by hotsauce »

In our state a child can have either an educational or medical diagnosis (or both) of Autism. Is that the case where you are? A child in the state of Missouri can be diagnosed either way. A physician should be able to diagnose Autism though...or determine if your child is on the Autism Specturm.

A shcool psych and multi-disciplinary team would make that determination (of Autism) if the child is not functioning in the least restrictive environment. If you mumble the words "due process"...I bet some educational doors would open up for you.
Wolflover

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by Wolflover »

Please check out dyspraxiaspeak.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

for information on Dyspraxia. This page is mainly based on my son and our experiences in working with his diagnosis of Dyspraxia at age 3. It also contains a 'links' page that can direct you to a number of sites I have found helpful.

What are some of the specific issues facing your son? My sons major areas initially were speech and motor-control, now at age 11 speech is no issue and motor control is good although strength is still weaker than it could be. However he has handwriting issues, difficulty getting started on a new assignment, and concentration issues. He also is in constant "repetitive" motion. He attends a Montessori school (which I address on the web page) which is extremely beneficial for him and his pace of learning. Good Luck!
Betty Boop

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by Betty Boop »

Wolflover;894855 wrote: Please check out dyspraxiaspeak.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

for information on Dyspraxia. This page is mainly based on my son and our experiences in working with his diagnosis of Dyspraxia at age 3. It also contains a 'links' page that can direct you to a number of sites I have found helpful.

What are some of the specific issues facing your son? My sons major areas initially were speech and motor-control, now at age 11 speech is no issue and motor control is good although strength is still weaker than it could be. However he has handwriting issues, difficulty getting started on a new assignment, and concentration issues. He also is in constant "repetitive" motion. He attends a Montessori school (which I address on the web page) which is extremely beneficial for him and his pace of learning. Good Luck!

Thank you wolflover, my son is now 11 and I finally got the diagnosis of Aspergers around two years ago. He's still in mainstream school but now with 25 hours one to one help. :-6
pinkchick

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by pinkchick »

Betty Boop;133964 wrote: Can anyone give me advice on getting Autism diagnosed, or at least ruled out!!

My eight year old son was born premature at 32 weeks. He has been behind in all his developmental stages all his life. Our GP wasn't much help at all and when he started at Nursery he finally got referred to lots of health professionals, he started Mainstream school a year late and eventually we got a diagnosis of Dyspraxia.(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/madel ... ysprax.htm)

The label of Dyspraxia allows him a statement of a maximum 15 hours a week one to one help at school. We have fought long and hard with the education authority and he is finally up to his maximum of 15 hours.

He needs more, ie full one to one help for the whole school day, but we need to get a better diagnosis and I just don't know where to go next. Whenever I ask if he could have Autism the health pros just shrug their shoulders and say they're not allowed to make such a diagnosis, and can give me no other 'label' for me to push for testing. Everybody wants a better diagnosis but it's almost as if it's down to me to identify the problem and then find someone to diagnose it!!

I feel like I am literally banging my head against a brick wall!:-5

Hey Boop :-6

I have a very good griend who's grandson has a form of Autism...

I will chat with her tomorrow for you and see if she can give any advise on obtaining a diagnosis.....

Keep your chin up darlin :-4

I'll pm you tomorrow evening with any info. xx
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Betty Boop

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by Betty Boop »

pinkchick;894903 wrote: Hey Boop :-6

I have a very good griend who's grandson has a form of Autism...

I will chat with her tomorrow for you and see if she can give any advise on obtaining a diagnosis.....

Keep your chin up darlin :-4

I'll pm you tomorrow evening with any info. xx

Thanks Pink, i started this thread ages ago hun, I've got the diagnosis now. :wah:
pinkchick

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by pinkchick »

Betty Boop;894906 wrote: Thanks Pink, i started this thread ages ago hun, I've got the diagnosis now. :wah:

:o:o:o

Sorry darlin!

That'll teach me to pay attention to dates on posts AND to read the whole thread

:-5:o
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Betty Boop

Dyspraxia or Autism?

Post by Betty Boop »

pinkchick;894907 wrote: :o:o:o

Sorry darlin!

That'll teach me to pay attention to dates on posts AND to read the whole thread

:-5:o

No worries :-4

Return to “Physically Challenged”