Collectibles

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
lady cop

Collectibles

Post by lady cop »

do you collect anything? something you have a passion for? tell us! i collect Dept.'56 Dickens Village pieces, i have thousands of dollars in it! little houses and people and the whole "Christmas Carol" story...my village is so beautiful. i love to set it up and i can look at it for hours. i have churches and the tower of london and fezziwig's house and bob crachit's and scrooge's place and the ghosts, oh i love it! what do you collect?
turbonium

Collectibles

Post by turbonium »

My mom loves those too, LC. She has a long-time lladro collection (nativity scene, etc.)and another one of Christmas village collection (it's a known name but I can't think of the name off hand) that she has been adding pieces to for many years.

I have a guitar collection, even though I don't "collect" guitars per se, as a hobby or anything. I just add to it because I fall in love with another one every so often checking them out at various music stores. I play it and then I "have " to have it - even if I have to save up for a while to get it. I have about 15 right now - Gibson, Fender, Takamine, etc. They're my "babies"! :)
chonsigirl

Collectibles

Post by chonsigirl »

I have penguins, of all kinds from Snow Babies to little tiny ceramic ones. Stuffed ones that squeek and posters of them I hang up in my classroom each year.
Bridget

Collectibles

Post by Bridget »

I collect White Hall S.P. &S. Co. stoneware. Those words are in inside a map the shape of Ill. I lived and my Dad worked in that factory. I've got it everywhere. Some of it sells for outrages prices.I hit auctions, ebay, and antique shops for it.

I also collect hobnail opalsecent dishes. It is clear hobnail dishes that have a whitish frosting in the edge of the rims. These have gone down in value in the last ten years but I still look for them when I'm out. My mother had some when I was a kid and I loved them then and still do.

Lady Cop I bet your village is breath taking. Do you leave it up year round?
minks

Collectibles

Post by minks »

lady cop wrote: do you collect anything? something you have a passion for? tell us! i collect Dept.'56 Dickens Village pieces, i have thousands of dollars in it! little houses and people and the whole "Christmas Carol" story...my village is so beautiful. i love to set it up and i can look at it for hours. i have churches and the tower of london and fezziwig's house and bob crachit's and scrooge's place and the ghosts, oh i love it! what do you collect?

My house is one big random collection of stuff.....

Ok I have a small and cherished collection of Pendelphin Ceramic rabbits from when I was a kid, I have since split it and gave each of the girls half of my bunnis about 6 pieces each. I have an amalgamated stamp collection, stamps and books from my grandpa, and stamps and books that were my brothers and mine when we were kids. Not worth squat but still special.

Do dust bunnies under the furniture count as a viable collection ahahahahahahaha
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
jasmund

Collectibles

Post by jasmund »

Ladycop-

My fiance collects those to, very nice.

I collect series of books, and recipes.
lady cop

Collectibles

Post by lady cop »

Bridget wrote:

Lady Cop I bet your village is breath taking. Do you leave it up year round?i put it up in november and enjoy it through the holidays, it wouldn't be so special if it were up all year. it MEANS Christmas to me. it is extensive, many buildings and lots of people and carriages and a variety of trees. it takes a lot of space, and an entire day to set up, which i enjoy very much. (packing it away not so much fun!). my brother collects the same village, he tells his little ones that the people come to life at night, they are enchanted! >>>>Jasmund, there is quite a market for retired pieces, does your fiance have any he wants to trade or is he looking for any one piece? my tower of london cost me $150. and is now quoted at $1500. but i would never part with it.
Bridget

Collectibles

Post by Bridget »

I forgot I also collect bears too, stuffed ones. I only bring them out at Christmas. Every year I say I'm going to put up a small tree and cover it completely with my bears. I have yet to do that, maybe this year. I also collected some beanie babies. I too asked myself what was i thinking. I finally threw them in my grandchildrens toybox that I keep here for them. They are of the age they have a great time with them and Granny doesn't feel so quilty for wasting all that money. :-5
valerie

Collectibles

Post by valerie »

I have a few small collections of different things... movie posters, old

bottles, glass insulators from telephone poles, buttons, things like that.

(Pretty big matchbook collection!)

But really I just like "old" stuff so I have maybe two or three things or

sometimes just even one. I have my original 1966 Twister game, the

purse my mom carried when she married my dad, my dad's Marine Corps

leggings from WWII (Pacific Theater), the front bumper, hubcaps, and

tailights off my parents' 56 Mercury, Bates Motel room key, Mason jars

with porcelain lined lead caps, huge old lightbulbs, costume jewelry,

okay I'll quit now.

:p ;)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Jives

Collectibles

Post by Jives »

I've got some really neat WWII stuff my dad left me, and almost every videogame made since pong, but my real treasure is...

a complete collection of Savage Sword of Conan! All in plastic and sequential! worth about $15,000 right now.

I also have one copy of "Classics Illustrated: The Red Badge of Courage" still in mint condition worth about $600. You want to know the real crime? I had a complete set, all 50-something issues, handed down to me from my grandfather in the 1920's.

I sold them all for $20 at a garage sale when I was 10. You do the math.:(
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
nvalleyvee

Collectibles

Post by nvalleyvee »

I have my father's coffin flag - it means a great deal to ME. I was told several years ago by some passerby that I couldn't fly it because there are only 48 stars. My reply - the middle finger.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
pina

Collectibles

Post by pina »

Canes and walking sticks, I have about 50 now all different ranging from about 1820 upwards. Some open up with very sharp knives or swords inside or a glass to put whiskey in, and one from the war days with a light bulb at the bottom to see your way during the blackouts (still works) I'm afraid to say they are all shoved in a cupboard, I have nowhere to keep them.

Betty Boop

Collectibles

Post by Betty Boop »

Nomad wrote: Ive seen a few interesting gentleman walking sticks, some are very intricate, some are very James Bondish

I wonder if one day Ill be able to pull off a walking stick ?

Not everyone can, like hats it just works with some men, some not.

Oh, I'm sure you will, I'll keep you company on a zimmer frame!!!
Betty Boop

Collectibles

Post by Betty Boop »

Metal frame that you walk with when you're old and decrepid!
pina

Collectibles

Post by pina »

Nomad wrote: A zimmer frame ?

Must add one of those to my collection. :yh_rotfl Do you think it will fit in my cupboard with all the walking sticks?

Betty Boop

Collectibles

Post by Betty Boop »

pina wrote: Must add one of those to my collection. :yh_rotfl Do you think it will fit in my cupboard with all the walking sticks?

well, that depends, how big's your cupboard!!!! some have wheels on too!!
pina

Collectibles

Post by pina »

Betty Boop wrote: well, that depends, how big's your cupboard!!!! some have wheels on too!!

Second thoughts I might just use it to get me back and forward to work.:yh_rotfl

Do you know where I can buy a second hand one?

Bridget

Collectibles

Post by Bridget »

I think a zimmer frame in USA is a walker. My older sister uses one because of her knees. Hers has wheels.
actionfigurestepho

Collectibles

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I collect Robert Goulet records.

Shameful, I know.
Bez

Collectibles

Post by Bez »

Ummmm !!!! seemed to have posted on a similar thread "What do people collect"
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
lady cop

Collectibles

Post by lady cop »

a partial photo of the village, i can't get it all in one shot....click on pic

Attached files
mominiowa

Collectibles

Post by mominiowa »

How Beautiful LC.:-4 My auntie use to collect a similar set- they would put it on her pool table on a plywood peice..most amazing! it had ponds and a train that went around....but then again- she collected for 30 years....

I collect frogs and newly I have started Willow Trees- I have about 13 now...it started as a gift in the hospital by getting the Courage one..Now its wicked addicting..:D

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....

Return to “General Chit Chat”