The 'right' to be heard?

minks

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by minks »

TW2005 wrote: IMO.... We have the right to be heard but hardly anyone listens. When someone disagrees with you they just brush you off and call you an idiot or ignore you. Not to say that everyone has to listen to what you have to say, but not listening shows that you are a "know it all" and no ones opinion matters but your own. Other peoples opinions and voices are great to hear, I listen all the time. I don't always agree but thats the issues with some people. If I disagree, I'll come back with my perspective to try and get my views of the other side across.

Yes we do have the right to be heard, that is the trouble these days so many people have the attitude of "I don't have to listen to you" but wait where is your ability to listen open mindedly, accept the fact it is an opinion, then decide how to react if at all. I think we are all guilty of tunning out what we don't want to hear. Listening has become a very very weakend human skill.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
koan

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by koan »

We have the right to speak. Listening is the option of our audience. What are you gonna do? Tie them to a chair until they can repeat back to you what you said?

I could stick to discussion boards that tend to agree with me and abandon those that don't. Then I'm more guaranteed of being heard but what does it matter? They all think the same thing already anyway. If I speak to one hundred people who have a different point of view and one single person says "hey, you really made me think" I feel wonderful. It is good to go where discussions can be sought amongst like minded people where you agree on basic principles and seek to expand on them but it is also worth going to places where people don't agree and speaking to them about the opposite point of view. I want to hear their's. If they don't want to hear mine at least I tried.

I've had incredible arguments face to face with people who disagreed with everything I said but we both listen to each other and acknowledge when the other makes a point. Acknowledge when they speak with passion and conviction.

People can't be wise unless they openly consider all points of view and challenge themselves on a regular basis. Not everyone wants to be wise. That is their right. I just hope it is the wise who lead the world.

You absolutely have a right to be heard in a court of law...but outside of that you take your chances and choose your friends.
Adam Zapple

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by Adam Zapple »

Well put. I concur. It may be rude not to listen but no one has the right to coerce others into listening. The constitution merely protects your right to speak. Make your message compelling and then perhaps you will be heard.
Jives

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by Jives »

koan wrote: We have the right to speak. Listening is the option of our audience. What are you gonna do? Tie them to a chair until they can repeat back to you what you said?.

Works for me in the classroom! :D

But seriously, I once heard a great expression about the freedom of speech,

"Your rights end, where mine begin."

You don't have the right to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, because that infringes on my right not to be injured in a stampede. ;)
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Jives

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by Jives »

LOL! Whoops! Hey Far! Are you Military too? Cool! that's why I like you! :wah:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Accountable

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by Accountable »

Mark the calendar! I agree with Koan! Of course, we never would have known had I not chosen to listen to what she has every right to say.

A tree has a right to fall in the forest too, y'know.
Accountable

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by Accountable »

Far Rider wrote: 20 years of BDU's, mre's, dirt, sweat, good friends, hard work and long boring, read'em if you got'em waits....
:yh_flag 21 years for me, too. I sometimes wonder how much of our opinions come from our experience in the military or if we joined the military because of our similarity of opinions.

Of course that's another thread. :-6
Adam Zapple

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by Adam Zapple »

In some situations then you may have the right to be heard, and it can be demanded.

Yes, but then the military isn't exactly a democracy is it. :wah:

6 years for me.
Lon

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by Lon »

[quote=Far Rider]I heard on the radio a political add that said 'we all have a right to be heard... '

I got to wondering if thats right or not, do we have the right to be heard, or just the right to speak?[/quote

The right to be heard depends pretty much on who is speaking and who is listening, but everyone has the right to speak. I wouldn't listen to a Street Person telling me about the economy, nor someone that has never traveled telling me about the best airline to fly. We tend to listen to authority figures & dismiss those that we feel do not have the experience or knowledge greater than our own.
Lon

The 'right' to be heard?

Post by Lon »

Far Rider wrote: [quote=Lon]

For the most part I totally agree but there is a growing number of people in the US and abroad that put greater stock in an actors opinion than in hearing an expert.

For Petes Sake, Arnold is our Governator!

Most people are sheep and prefer to be led rather than lead or form their own opinions.

Return to “Social Human Rights”