Question aboutCardiff Wales

A forum to discuss local issues in Wales.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I have a query. Saturday evening, my husband was watching a boxing match where one of the fighters ( the favored one) was from Cardiff. They did a little pre fight blurb about Cardiff..showing the town off. Now for some reason, I feel as if Cardiff is famous for something other than this boxer,..... But for the life of me I am not sure why I have heard of Cardiff. A search did not help me, and still left me a bit stumped.

Anyone have any clues?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Marie5656;590134 wrote: I have a query. Saturday evening, my husband was watching a boxing match where one of the fighters ( the favored one) was from Cardiff. They did a little pre fight blurb about Cardiff..showing the town off. Now for some reason, I feel as if Cardiff is famous for something other than this boxer,..... But for the life of me I am not sure why I have heard of Cardiff. A search did not help me, and still left me a bit stumped.

Anyone have any clues?

Apart from being the capital of Wales, the location for the newer Dr Who series and the Millenium Stadium it doesn't have a lot going for it.

Joe Calzaghi is currently its most famous son but before him any number of Rugby players and male voice choirs. Shirley Bassey was born in Tiger Bay just outside.
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Marie, you're not thinking about Cardigan (like in sweater) which sounds a bit like Cardiff are you?;)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Cardiff was once the richest city in the World and the first Million £ deal was done in the old Corn Exchange

Oh and of course I live their :D

IF YOU CAN'T SAY GOOD ABOUT SOME ONE , KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT

Did you know that too much chocolate shrinks your clothes

http://www.theparanormalcrypt.org/portal.php
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Bryn Mawr;590169 wrote: Apart from being the capital of Wales, the location for the newer Dr Who series and the Millenium Stadium it doesn't have a lot going for it.

Joe Calzaghi is currently its most famous son but before him any number of Rugby players and male voice choirs. Shirley Bassey was born in Tiger Bay just outside.
She worked in Tiger Bay but lived in a place called Splot , three doors from my OH

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Uncle Fester;590253 wrote: She worked in Tiger Bay but lived in a place called Splot , three doors from my OH

I sit corrected :-)
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Uncle Fester;590253 wrote: She worked in Tiger Bay but lived in a place called Splot , three doors from my OH

She lives with Spot!!:lips:

does Koan know?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

Wan't the current Prince Charles ordained or something in Cardiff ? :-3
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
spot

Post by spot »

zinkyusa;590335 wrote: She lives with Spot!!:lips:

does Koan know?Splot! Pronounced Splow, rhyming with flow.

woppy71;590336 wrote: Wan't the current Prince Charles ordained or something in Cardiff ? :-3He was created The Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester in 26 July 1958, though his actual investiture did not take place until 1 July 1969. This was a major ceremony, held at Caernarfon Castle in north Wales, a place traditionally associated with the creation of the title in the 13th century. (wiki, I copied that from, it was quicker than typing it). Nobody has been mad enough to ordain Charles, he'd only worry his Bishop with unconventional views. Besides, once he's crowned King he'll be in charge of the Church anyway.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

Thanks for clearing that up Spot :)
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

woppy71;590438 wrote: Thanks for clearing that up Spot :)

Yeah really, I would never have slept tonight.;)
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

OK then..thanks. It is probably all of the above. I feel a bit red faced about asking. I wish I knew more about some of the other countries.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I just did another search, and figured it out. The Castle. Rick and I watched a program on the History Channel (or one of them) about Cardiff Castle. I had forgotten.
dubs

Post by dubs »

I see everyone avoided mentioning that Charlotte Church Comes from there as well! It's as if people are embarrassed about her! :yh_rotfl

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

dubs;590480 wrote: I see everyone avoided mentioning that Charlotte Church Comes from there as well! It's as if people are embarrassed about her! :yh_rotfl

Who? :wah:
dubs

Post by dubs »

He uses more fake tan and hair products, than she does!.....:wah:

And I think his name's Henson!

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
spot

Post by spot »

zinkyusa;590442 wrote: Yeah really, I would never have slept tonight.;)

Don't mock, bat-brain. I had problems with three words in Woppy's ten-word sentence, that's pretty heavy material to just walk past without comment.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

spot;590405 wrote: Splot! Pronounced Splow, rhyming with flow.

He was created The Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester in 26 July 1958, though his actual investiture did not take place until 1 July 1969. This was a major ceremony, held at Caernarfon Castle in north Wales, a place traditionally associated with the creation of the title in the 13th century. (wiki, I copied that from, it was quicker than typing it). Nobody has been mad enough to ordain Charles, he'd only worry his Bishop with unconventional views. Besides, once he's crowned King he'll be in charge of the Church anyway.

I dare you to call it Splow in front of my daughter , she lives their and would take your head off :-5

zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

spot;590786 wrote: Don't mock, bat-brain. I had problems with three words in Woppy's ten-word sentence, that's pretty heavy material to just walk past without comment.

eh eh eh just teasing spotster;)
Musiclover89

Post by Musiclover89 »

Isnt Catherin Zeta Jones & Tom Jones from Cardiff i could be wrong
"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, 'I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight', people would say, 'Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.' " Michael Jackson
spot

Post by spot »

Musiclover89;591251 wrote: Isnt Catherin Zeta Jones & Tom Jones from Cardiff i could be wrong

Gosh no. She's from Swansea, he's from Pontypridd. Wing Commander Roald Dahl was, of all people.
Madcow

Post by Madcow »

Oh wow Shes from Swansea?
Dynabertawe

Post by Dynabertawe »

Yes, she is from Swansea, where I live.

Cardiff and Swansea both have their fair share of famous people:)
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Uncle Fester is famous and I am from Cardiff :D:D

Dynabertawe

Post by Dynabertawe »

Soberano;591235 wrote: You are right Gavin Hastings is some other big bugger of a rugby player.:o

It's Gavin Henson!

Return to “Wales”