How much do you spend?

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
KarmaDoodle

How much do you spend?

Post by KarmaDoodle »

Has anyone read this? It says that pet owners will spend more on pet food than human food. Kind of crazy! I know some pet foods are terrible, and to get the good ones you have to pay through the nose. But, I know there are some that are affordable and high-quality like Taste of the Wild - its got great ingredients and not too expensive.

Would you pay more for your pet's food than your own?

Pet owners may tighten belts before leashes

http://www.walletpop.com/2008/02/25/pet ... e-leashes/
Chezzie

How much do you spend?

Post by Chezzie »

Well I like to give my dog a varied diet..

He has Bakers Complete Gravy Bites which is a dried food every other day, you mix a little warm water with it to make a gravy.

Then the other days he has good quality dog food and or sardines, pilchards, mackeral etc..

i got a good buy this week from somerfield, 12 large tins of pedigree chum for £4...6 with jelly and 6 with gravy.
KarmaDoodle

How much do you spend?

Post by KarmaDoodle »

Wow sounds like he has quite the spread of goodies! Have you ever tried Taste of the Wild? It has a great smoked salmon formula that your doggy might like.
PurpleChicken

How much do you spend?

Post by PurpleChicken »

Kinda crazy if you ask me. I love my dog, but she's perfectly happy with normal dog food, leftovers and the odd bone! I can understand people spending a reasonable amount for good quality stuff if necessary - but seriously to spend more on your dog than yourself - crazy stuff!
KarmaDoodle

How much do you spend?

Post by KarmaDoodle »

PurpleChicken - Leftovers are one of the greatest sources of dog food too!
kazalala

How much do you spend?

Post by kazalala »

Chezzie;795014 wrote: Well I like to give my dog a varied diet..

He has Bakers Complete Gravy Bites which is a dried food every other day, you mix a little warm water with it to make a gravy.

Then the other days he has good quality dog food and or sardines, pilchards, mackeral etc..

i got a good buy this week from somerfield, 12 large tins of pedigree chum for £4...6 with jelly and 6 with gravy.

I use bakers too:D wilkinsons have a special offer on at the moment, a 3kg bag for £5.99, but buy one get one free!!. I also give her Tuna and sardines, and a few left overs sometimes depending on what it is. I dont buy any tinned food, but sometimes buy thse little foil trays, they dont have much in as they are msolty for small dogs, but i just mix one in with her dry food:D Then theres the bones and treats and dental chews:rolleyes::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Dewey2Me1MoThyme

How much do you spend?

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

Max is quite content on Kibbles & Bits homestyle (lean) but won't turn his nose up to potato chips, or whatever is on our plates. I can't say we sppend mo on his food than own ppl food, but he may just be bordering on spoiled none the less! :thinking:

Dew

"Anything worth dewing is worth dewing well"
chonsigirl

How much do you spend?

Post by chonsigirl »

I have a lengthy shopping list for critters, they eat well, but it doesn't cost more then people food.
RedGlitter

How much do you spend?

Post by RedGlitter »

What's crazy about it? Doesn't your dog deserve food the same quality as your own? :-2
suzy_creamcheese

How much do you spend?

Post by suzy_creamcheese »

my dog gets the cheapest!! Wagg Complete dry food. Its £1.99 for 2.5kg and she seems to prefer it to a lot of the other dried food. Im sure shed rather get tinned food or our leftovers every day instead, but tinned food makes her poo even more gross than it should be, and whenever i start giving her leftovers, she gets in a bad habit of scrounging and scavenging far too quickly and I hate that
RedGlitter

How much do you spend?

Post by RedGlitter »

suzy_creamcheese;854980 wrote: my dog gets the cheapest!! Wagg Complete dry food. Its £1.99 for 2.5kg and she seems to prefer it to a lot of the other dried food. Im sure shed rather get tinned food or our leftovers every day instead, but tinned food makes her poo even more gross than it should be, and whenever i start giving her leftovers, she gets in a bad habit of scrounging and scavenging far too quickly and I hate that

I've never heard of Wagg, SuzyCC, but just a tip- the cheaper the food, the more fillers it will contain (corn is usually the primary one) and the more messes you will have to clean up. I learned this the hard way in the shelter when we fed our guys "Ol Roy." It was nasty, you could even see the corn texture in it. Sorry to be gross. :o Most of the food goes right through the dog.
suzy_creamcheese

How much do you spend?

Post by suzy_creamcheese »

no its actually not bad. Shes a fussy bugger though and there are very few she will eat. She'll turn her nose up for ages fairly often if we change brand. The only thing that goes straight through her is tinned food however much she loves it. And it makes her fart :yh_sick
RedGlitter

How much do you spend?

Post by RedGlitter »

yeah....the canned food is downright nasty. :yh_sick
KarmaDoodle

How much do you spend?

Post by KarmaDoodle »

redglitter - you are right about the fillers - i've been more and more interested in the grain-free options because of that. here's the ingredients for taste of the wild, what do you think?

high prairie canine formula

Ingredients

Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
BarEdul

How much do you spend?

Post by BarEdul »

I will not pay more for my pets food than my own. I buy Dads' Brand and it's fairly cheap and I like the way my animals perform with little diahrhea and good stools... They are healthy and happy and with good coats so I am happy with it. :-6
Lon

How much do you spend?

Post by Lon »

I don't have any pets, but my friend does. He claims that he spends zero on pet food. This is because he raises cats and rats. The rats out breed the cats and provide food for the cats and the dead cats provide food for the rats. Then, he sells the rat and cat pelts for 2 cents each.:wah:
RedGlitter

How much do you spend?

Post by RedGlitter »

KarmaDoodle;866736 wrote: redglitter - you are right about the fillers - i've been more and more interested in the grain-free options because of that. here's the ingredients for taste of the wild, what do you think?

high prairie canine formula

Ingredients

Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Wow, I've never heard of pet food with buffalo in it! Looking at those ingredients it seems to me like a sound food. It's good that the first few ingredients are meat and not junk fillers like corn or wheat or "animal protein" which can often mean ground up chicken beaks and feet and cow hooves. Lots of vitamins, even has acidophilus for friendly bacteria. It sounds to me like a good food.
KarmaDoodle

How much do you spend?

Post by KarmaDoodle »

Yeah - I like the diversity of ingredients too - if you want to buy some, you can buy it from WagginTales:

http://www.waggintails.com/store/Displa ... sted+Venis
RedGlitter

How much do you spend?

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks, Karma. I'll give that place a look :)
ilona17

How much do you spend?

Post by ilona17 »

Our dog gets a good range of different food.

From dog meat to biscuits, and then some treats.

Maybe some of our meat sometimes.

We don't buy the cheapest food because he doesn't like it very much.

But now we've found a food he likes that isn't to expensive we'll just keep him on this.

Our vet told us that if we keep changing the dogs food, he will just get more fussy about what he eats :thinking:

But to the question, no i'm sure we don't actually spend more on the dog.

But you do have pets to look after them, and i adore my mutt lol :-4
[QUOTE]:DLive Everyday Like It's Your Last :-6[/QUOTE]
rroebuck

How much do you spend?

Post by rroebuck »

My pets are part of the family so I will pay a lot for their food. Only the best for my kits!
Lon

How much do you spend?

Post by Lon »

As many of you know, I had a pet vulture named Boris that was run over on the freeway while having his breakfast of road kill. We now have the son of Boris that we named Clyde. Clyde unlike his father will not touch road kill of any kind. He prefers instead fresh ground hamburger (mince). Boris really cost us nothing due to his eating habits, but the son, oh my.
qsducks

How much do you spend?

Post by qsducks »

Lon;887836 wrote: As many of you know, I had a pet vulture named Boris that was run over on the freeway while having his breakfast of road kill. We now have the son of Boris that we named Clyde. Clyde unlike his father will not touch road kill of any kind. He prefers instead fresh ground hamburger (mince). Boris really cost us nothing due to his eating habits, but the son, oh my.

Has your grocery bill gone up?:D
Lon

How much do you spend?

Post by Lon »

qsducks;887851 wrote: Has your grocery bill gone up?:D

Sure has, but that's due more to the increase in the price of gasoline than just food for Clyde.
Nomad

How much do you spend?

Post by Nomad »

How much do you spend?

$14.00
I AM AWESOME MAN
southern yankee

How much do you spend?

Post by southern yankee »

just like us, whatever i have coupon for. or what's on sale. When I had 1 dog and 2 cats. would $$$$. but now with three dogs and 3 1/2 cats. i cut back. but make it up in TLC.:)
woppy71

How much do you spend?

Post by woppy71 »

southern yankee;920634 wrote: just like us, whatever i have coupon for. or what's on sale. When I had 1 dog and 2 cats. would $$$$. but now with three dogs and 3 1/2 cats. i cut back. but make it up in TLC.:)

3 1/2 cats? :-3

Our cat Milly is extremely fussy, "Felix" roasted cat food and "Felix" bicuits. Thats it. :)
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
Luvdawgs

How much do you spend?

Post by Luvdawgs »

My dog is on a special diet from the vet to prevent him from getting urine stones again. It costs a fortune! He's worth it though. :-4
southern yankee

How much do you spend?

woppy71;920702 wrote: 3 1/2 cats? :-3

Our cat Milly is extremely fussy, "Felix" roasted cat food and "Felix" bicuits. Thats it. :)

what i mean by 3 1/2. one cat is going to be a momma:wah:
pantsonfire321@aol.com

How much do you spend?

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

As it goes i need to stock up later on Dog/cat food .

I'm trying to remember ..i pay something like £22 pounds for a 7 1/2 kilo bag of James wellbeloved puppy biscuits it's £6.99 for a two kilo bag (i like to alternate the flavours)....the seven kilo bag has lasted 5 weeks (need some more today) we also buy tins of science plan meat for them both . For the Cats it's £13.99 for a two kilo bag of science plan for kittys, that lasts about two weeks (i have three cats) along with meat every day. I never buy the crap stuff because it makes them fart REALLY bad and the difference it their coats is so noticeable . Most people buy Pedigree chum (we used to give it to our other dog when he was young ) and it's not good at all.
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
DominoDeja

How much do you spend?

Post by DominoDeja »

about 20 a week for cat food i think
Odie

How much do you spend?

Post by Odie »

it's not how much we spend, its the quality of food we give our cats, they deserve to be heathly also.

No point in buying any pet if you have no intentions of feeding it properly.
Life is just to short for drama.
southern yankee

How much do you spend?

Well we do the best we can. My cats. i have to buy RX food for Fuzz buttons. So all three boys eat it. The dogs, girls. I try to buy a good brand, But like ourselves. what I have a coupon for. or what is on sale.B ut about $30 a week.;) take that back. $40 catlitter too
Odie

How much do you spend?

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1082596 wrote: Well we do the best we can. My cats. i have to buy RX food for Fuzz buttons. So all three boys eat it. The dogs, girls. I try to buy a good brand, But like ourselves. what I have a coupon for. or what is on sale.B ut about $30 a week.;) take that back. $40 catlitter too

and shampoo for Bear when he gets full of mud!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Liling

How much do you spend?

Post by Liling »

I wouldn't. I don't think it's crazy but I would not want to do that cause I can barely support myself. Except food, there are more expenses (such as grooming and health care) when haveing a pet.
buttercup

How much do you spend?

Post by buttercup »

Many people think i spoil mine as they eat chicken, steak, lamb ect but what you have to bear in mind is i buy it from the reduced section in Tesco at the end of the night so it costs peanuts.

Today they all had rack of lamb 25p per rack, and whole chickens at 57p each. I feed them raw which horrifies some people but not my dogs :sneaky:

I also buy bags of trimmings of meat from the butcher, they would throw it out or have to pay for it to be disposed of so they are glad to see me. I'd say the dogs are probably fed better than us yes but not at any great cost.
Oscar Namechange

How much do you spend?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

buttercup;1262238 wrote: Many people think i spoil mine as they eat chicken, steak, lamb ect but what you have to bear in mind is i buy it from the reduced section in Tesco at the end of the night so it costs peanuts.

Today they all had rack of lamb 25p per rack, and whole chickens at 57p each. I feed them raw which horrifies some people but not my dogs :sneaky:

I also buy bags of trimmings of meat from the butcher, they would throw it out or have to pay for it to be disposed of so they are glad to see me. I'd say the dogs are probably fed better than us yes but not at any great cost.

My dogs get meat also and no canned food. I am in the fortunate position of being around people who own fast food take-aways. We have a friend who Is also the area Manager for a chain of High Street Deli's and every three days, he is suppossed to bin all fresh meat but on the 11th hour, he freezes It. Every friday he delivers me a sack of prime beef, ham, bacon, meatballs, chicken even pre-cooked Omelettes. I don't feed the dogs kebab meat as It's too fatty but It's wonderful for the foxes in winter. Sometimes, I look at all this meat, and think of all the children who don't get enough to eat but It would go to a landfill if I didn't take it. It costs me a few beers for him but It means I never have to buy tinned rubbish. They also have Bakers complete dried mixed in with it amd Puppy has a Puppy mix. The cats are also fed chicken and Tuna.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
G-man

How much do you spend?

Post by G-man »

I only get the best for my pets, but I don't spend anywhere near $1,000 a month (which is about what I spend just on myself and I'm a frugal shopper, too.) on food for them. I can see that statistic being true for people that spend less than the average shopper spends on themselves. It's relatively easy to take a statistic and make it work in favor for just about any argument. The press has been guilty of such bias for centuries.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Odie

How much do you spend?

Post by Odie »

G-man;1262424 wrote: I only get the best for my pets, but I don't spend anywhere near $1,000 a month (which is about what I spend just on myself and I'm a frugal shopper, too.) on food for them. I can see that statistic being true for people that spend less than the average shopper spends on themselves. It's relatively easy to take a statistic and make it work in favor for just about any argument. The press has been guilty of such bias for centuries.

you spend $250.00 a week for food for one person?
moonpie

How much do you spend?

Post by moonpie »

My pets eat very well, and so do we. There was a few times I had to skimp on buying them really good cat food, but I do still shop for bargains, and they do eat very well. I hate to admit, but they probably eat better then a lot of homeless people, but I cannot feed everyone. I hate to sound krass, but I did not get these felines to make them suffer, I treat them very well, and I will be dammed to feel guilty about it.

Return to “The Coffee Shop”