Time to Move

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

:driving:

Well, It’s time for me to start yet another chapter of my adventure. I have sold my house in Las Vegas and am moving to San Antonio. Is anyone in the Forum from there? I’m going to have to look for work, and could really use a network to help.
lady cop

Time to Move

Post by lady cop »

what is your profession? ( i think we have members from that area.) best wishes! :)
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

lady cop wrote: what is your profession? ( i think we have members from that area.) best wishes! :)

My latest is training manager. I really enjoy leadership development, and have a masters degree in HR development. I also have 15 years ground transportation management experience, have been an office manager for several years, and did a little construction customer service.

My only real criterion is that I want to be a hero. I really enjoy helping people get what they came for. Teaching is in my blood, but I really had a lot of fun doing the customer service bit. That is the job for a hero. A home owner calls with a problem. If you can fix it on the spot, you do it. *Hero* If you can't fix it yourself, you get the experts in an make sure they get it done right and quickly. *still the Hero* I get a similar rush from helping new supervisors build the skills they need to inspire their teams to greatness.
Lon

Time to Move

Post by Lon »

I spent two weeks in San Antonio one day.
Jives

Time to Move

Post by Jives »

Accountable wrote: . Teaching is in my blood. That's the job for a hero... Inspire greatness

I know I took this out of context, but you seem to be hinting at it!

Dude, become a teacher! You'll absolutely love it! You want to be a hero? how about shaping the futures of entire families...for generations to come!

If you've already got a Bachelor's, look into what's called, "Alternative Licensure." You get to start teaching right away, so you can pay the bills. Then you take a few night classes (which the District will pay for) and you get another Bachelor's degree in a couple of years!

As for San Antonio...you seriously want to be a TEXAN!?!! Please have your head examined immediately! But at least the weather will be nicer..

about 112 degrees in the Summer, but you are used to that, but here's what you're not expecting 100% HUMIDITY!

ACK!!!
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
capt_buzzard

Time to Move

Post by capt_buzzard »

Jives wrote: I know I took this out of context, but you seem to be hinting at it!

Dude, become a teacher! You'll absolutely love it! You want to be a hero? how about shaping the futures of entire families...for generations to come!

If you've already got a Bachelor's, look into what's called, "Alternative Licensure." You get to start teaching right away, so you can pay the bills. Then you take a few night classes (which the District will pay for) and you get another Bachelor's degree in a couple of years!

As for San Antonio...you seriously want to be a TEXAN!?!! Please have your head examined immediately! But at least the weather will be nicer..

about 112 degrees in the Summer, but you are used to that, but here's what you're not expecting 100% HUMIDITY!

ACK!!!You could here. www.tcd.ie

or look in www.totalireland.com
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

Jives wrote: I know I took this out of context, but you seem to be hinting at it!

ACK!!!

I'll definitely look into teaching. Thanx. But what'swrong with Texas?? :guitarist

I'm originally from Louisiana, so I already have webbed feet. The humidity should be no problem. Another thing that's no problem is the lack of income tax. :D

You're not one of those that think that snow is a good thing, are you? :( The only snow I am comfortable with I can get rid of with a twist of the antenna! :p
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

Just an update. We are relocated and moved into a nice apartment. I start the job hunt for real today.

All the statistics I read say that San Antonio has a lower cost of living than Las Vegas. If that's true I can think of only one way to pull it off. People must simply buy less here than there! Base wages seem to be lower and prices are definitely higher.
cars

Time to Move

Post by cars »

Accountable wrote: Just an update. We are relocated and moved into a nice apartment. I start the job hunt for real today.

All the statistics I read say that San Antonio has a lower cost of living than Las Vegas. If that's true I can think of only one way to pull it off. People must simply buy less here than there! Base wages seem to be lower and prices are definitely higher.

Best wishes, & good luck job hunting. But you kind of did it backwards, usually you get the new Job first, and then sell your house & relocate. It's a lot less pressure on yourself that way, but again Best wishes & Good Luck!!! It will work out, it always does.
Cars :)
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

cars wrote: Best wishes, & good luck job hunting. But you kind of did it backwards, usually you get the new Job first, and then sell your house & relocate. It's a lot less pressure on yourself that way, but again Best wishes & Good Luck!!! It will work out, it always does.
Thanks, Cars. I've never received a reply from any out-of-town employer. Everybody wants locals. I must be doing something wrong in my approach, but the only thing various advisors have told me was that my resume may be too strong. I felt like the little kid whose mom tells 'im "they're just jealous." :wah:

I'd rather be employed with a crappy resume, y'know?
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

Need some fast feedback, guys. anybody have any idea what a fleet manager makes nowadays? Nationwide co., about 1500 vehicles scattered throughout. Staff of 3 assistants. Salary.com says 60-80K but I've never known it to be accurate. I have 14 years in this field, but it was military & not much reason to track pay rates.
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

Far Rider wrote: Hey Bud you got a huge military complex there, they hire hundreds of instructors, hit the base personal offices and see what opportunities raise their ugly head.

When I was their for Medical training they had civilian instructors teaching the book classes and military folks doing the hard stuff!

You been welcomed by a texas family yet? When I was there as a young military man I had an invite to dinner the first saturday I was there! Amazing friendliness!

Oh one word of warning, them little clear-amber scorpions sting the heck out of ya. Avoid them little rascals!

God Bless!
Thanks Far. I'm all over the military job boards. They send me get-well cards if I don't check in for more than 3 days.

I was in such a hurry when I typed the last post that I didn't mention I had just sent a resume to USAA for their vehicle fleet manager's position. Sometimes the HR people call right away and sometimes they ask for a pay range first thing. I did motor pool 14 years and could do the job with my eyes closed, though it wouldn't be my first choice of employment. Anyway, I don't know what those guys make and salary.com is always wrong. I was hoping one of you knew somebody.

It was worth a shot.

ps. They haven't called yet. fingers crossed.
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

I'm posting this as a reply because I don't want it like a big headline on the main home page.

I just interviewed for a job, made it to the next (and final, I think) level. The problem: I haven't a clue how much to ask for! Yeah I know, everyone should be burdened with such problems. :D

Here's the scope:

* Position title is Project Manager

* It's a nationwide benefits company. They contract out all of their claims to one company. I will be the onsite rep for the benefits company.

* Benefits company is in New Jersey. Claims company is here in San Antonio TX

* My job will be to liaison between the benefits & claims companies, and make sure the claims company holds up their end of the contract.

* I will work out of a home office.

* I have had no claims experience, lots of contract enforcement experience.

I'm trying to leave as many details out as possible, but if you need more, tell me.

So ... any suggestions on a ballpark figure I should toss out there when the question comes?
pink princess

Time to Move

Post by pink princess »

$5 million a year! ;)

sorry i cant really be of any help, being in a diff country and having no knowledge of the fields you looking at!!

figured id reply to bump the thread back up to the top tho so that perhaps someone who can help will see it.....
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

Thanks, dear. I guess I'll have to start a new thread.

It's a medical prescription benefits company, to answer your question.
chonsigirl

Time to Move

Post by chonsigirl »

Here were some interesting figures on salary-I make more then they say for teacher though. Extra degrees do help push up the salary.

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layo ... enter.html
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl wrote: Here were some interesting figures on salary-I make more then they say for teacher though. Extra degrees do help push up the salary.

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layo ... enter.html
Thanks. I check salary.com often. but this position doesn't really fit any category I can think of.

Ideas?
minks

Time to Move

Post by minks »

Accountable wrote: Thanks. I check salary.com often. but this position doesn't really fit any category I can think of.

Ideas?

Go check out monster.com or any other online job posting boards for your position then see what salary is being offered.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

Same issue.

I hang out with Monster and CareerBuilder almost as much as here. I even post on Monster's forum occassionally. :wah: Somebody should hire me for that!
Accountable

Time to Move

Post by Accountable »

ACK!!!

I was digging around looking for something else and came across this. I could've saved myself a couple years of heartache if I'd listened to Jives, eh? Weird how things come around, isn't it?
Betty Boop

Time to Move

Post by Betty Boop »

Accountable;815180 wrote: I was digging around looking for something else and came across this. I could've saved myself a couple years of heartache if I'd listened to Jives, eh? Weird how things come around, isn't it?

It's all great, whatever way it happened it all happened for a reason :-6
weeder

Time to Move

Post by weeder »

My older son recently applied for a fellowship, in New York. His interview is next Tuesday. If accepted, he takes a 7 week course preparing him to teach in inner city schools. In return, they will pay for his masters degree. They will also pay off the school loans that he has. I am happy for him. He will however be leaving Virginia, and returning to New York. He has been working at The University of Virginia for I think around 5 years. Great salary, but he has never felt challenged by the position. He is actually totally bored with it.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]

Return to “Work Employment”