Provand's Lordship

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
Chookie

Provand's Lordship

Post by Chookie »

This is the oldest house in Glasgow, dating from 1471. One from the front, one from the back and four interior shots.

Attached files
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
RedGlitter

Provand's Lordship

Post by RedGlitter »

Chookie, what a treat!! I love to see things like this! I think that's a very cool house. Do you have any more information about it? Thank you for posting it! :)
along-for-the-ride

Provand's Lordship

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thanks for sharing, Chookie.:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Musiclover89

Provand's Lordship

Post by Musiclover89 »

The Catherdral is right across the road from there :wah:
"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, 'I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight', people would say, 'Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.' " Michael Jackson
Chookie

Provand's Lordship

Post by Chookie »

I've got some info Red, but not very much....

Provand's Lordship was built in 1471 by Andrew Muirhead, the Bishop of Glasgow, as part of St Nicholas's Hospital, which stood to the south of the house. The "front" of the house probably originally faced west, and the site now occupied by the St Mungo Museum formed part of the large and imposing Bishop's Castle, one of the most important buildings in medieval Glasgow.

Although it may originally have been built for the Master or Preceptor of the neighbouring hospital, the house is believed to have become part of the accommodation provided for the 32 canons of the Cathedral Chapter, each associated with one of the prebends (or areas) into which the Diocese of Glasgow was divided. In the 1800s the house was identified as having been occupied by a canon supported by income from the Prebend of Barlanark or Balernock.

Most prebends derived their income from churches, but Barlanark supported its canon with the income derived from a 5,000 acre estate about three miles east of the edge of medieval Glasgow which had been granted to the Church by David II in about 1120.

Over time, "Prebend" became corrupted to "Provan", or Barlanark simply came to be known as Provan: take your pick. Meanwhile the post, and its estate-generated income, was increasingly seen as a convenient parking place for the illegitimate sons of Stewart kings. By the early 1500s, when the post passed to the Baillie family, Provand's Lordship seems to have simply been the town house used by the occupant of Provan Hall, (which is probably even older) then the focus of the estate, and now found in the north eastern suburbs of Glasgow. Some question whether this link is genuine, but either way, the belief in it helped save Provand's Lordship from the demolition that lay in store for a number of comparable medieval buildings in the area around Glasgow Cathedral.

It's now a museum (with free entry - well I am Scots).
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
RedGlitter

Provand's Lordship

Post by RedGlitter »

Chookie, that's really interesting to know. Thank you! You post the coolest things! I love this type of history and the photos are great! They set my mind to running. :) Thanks!!

Return to “Photography More”