Need help finding starter on car

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
debo971

Post by debo971 »

i have a 1996 aurora i can`t find the starter on the car plus when i try to start the car its making a click sound can anyone help me...thanks
spot

Post by spot »

Don't feel silly, I had just the same problem with a hired Vauxhall Corsa a few years back, I had to ring the rental company. You have to put your foot on the brake, they told me. I still don't know why.

I'll see if I can find the car's manual online, that often helps.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Why did Oldsmobile name a production model car after the Russian navy ship which started the 1917 Soviet revolution?

Press on, Jimbo. What I know about cars would fit on the back of a postage stamp.

The manual's at http://www.devicemanuals.com/guidedownl ... 6RXc=.html which is pleasing. I'm reading it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
debo971

Post by debo971 »

i know what it looks like but i can`t find the starter on the car is it on the driver side or the passenger side
debo971

Post by debo971 »

thanks spot
spot

Post by spot »

I've got to page 2.17...

Attached files
spot

Post by spot »

These are the only other obviously relevant bits, are we close to the right area?

Attached files
firebird

Post by firebird »

I am not positive, but the Caddilac Northstar and the Aurora engines are closely related. If so, the starter is on the top of the engine under the intake manifold, closest to the drivers side. Maybe this will help.
spot

Post by spot »

Oh... THAT kind of starter...
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Sounds like it may be a battery problem check the cables.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

debo971

Post by debo971 »

i would follow the battery wire but its under the back seat.i just bought a new battery
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

debo971;844168 wrote: i would follow the battery wire but its under the back seat.i just bought a new battery

Why did you need to buy a new battery?

The cause of the click is that, when the solenoid cuts in, there is not enough power getting to the starter to turn it.

This can be for any one of many reasons :-

The battery's flat / knackered

There is a large voltage drop in the wiring (bad / dirty connection)

The starter is open circuit (burnt out)

The starter is seized.

There is something jamming the ring gear in the bell housing

The engine is seized.

If we know why the original battery had to be changed we might find a clue to which cause is likely.
spot

Post by spot »

Or... the brake pedal needs holding down when you turn the key in the ignition. If you don't, it makes a click noise and then nothing can happen until you twist the key to OFF and try again.
koan

Post by koan »

Do we really want this person driving? :-3
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan;844460 wrote: Do we really want this person driving? :-3

What Spot? Certainly not!

Return to “General Chit Chat”