~if You Could Live In Another Era~

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

if you could live in another time and place, what would it be? and why?..... i think i would like to be a young woman during the 40's, it was our last innocence. the music, the clothes, the small-town feel like "it's a wonderful life". simplicity.
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

I would want to be livin with my Ma & Pa and my sister Laura & Mary --way back..Walnut Grove baby.........

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

oooooooh the 20's id be one of those flapper girls with the beaded dresses & a feather in her hair :D
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

Nice thread LC, I guess I'd like to be a philosopher in ancient Greece. Contemplating on everything under the sun alongside the likes of Socrates, Plato Aristotle etc.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
valerie

Post by valerie »

Oh come ON!! :D

Can't anybody tell?

I'd be a saloon girl in the old west. My dress would be RED and I'd

have those little black lacy gloves and some colorful rooster feathers

in my little headdress!

And yes, I'd take the most handsome cowboys upstairs!;)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

WHOO HOO VALERIE! dance hall girl, i knew it..after all, you ARE a bimbo. :wah:
abbey

Post by abbey »

buttercup wrote: oooooooh the 20's id be one of those flapper girls with the beaded dresses & a feather in her hair :DYou and me both Buttercup,i love the whole art deco period.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I would choose Rome in her glory years.
abbey

Post by abbey »

I guessed you'be a cowboy Far!

LoveMama

Post by LoveMama »

Absolutely the late thirties, early forties. An exciting time....but still simple.

I'm a 1st edition Mystery-detective book collector. I shop Ebay as well as the book dealers and I go through the inventories by year. I know what I'm looking for as I only buy Queen's Quorem or Haycraft Queen's Cornerstone books....

As I go through the years, starting about 1902 I say to myself.....hey, this was the year my mom was born and just two years later, my dad would graduate from Collage in Spokane WA.

The two of them would never meet til 1926 when he (married to another woman) and being in the Real Estate business, would sell my mom a lot in the mountains of Idlewild CA.

He fell madly in love with her, divorced his wife and married my mom on the same day as his divorce was final.

I was born in the mid thirties. I think that IF we had a happy childhood during that period it will alway's remain special.

The late thirties and early forties to me were special.

I didn't understand War....but I knew we were in one. I got to help my dad build a bomb shelter and got to put on the gas mask's that were stored in our garage (an old barn .......acutally). I knew that London.....and all over Europe the German's were dropping bombs and everyone had to go to bomb shelters. To me, at that young age, I thought it was exciting. I wanted to go to a bomb shelter too! Can you imagine?

Children in those day's were allowed to go anywhere on their bikes....no thought of child molester's in those days. You Knew ALL the neighbors and streets wern't crowded with traffic. People helped one another.

Even though this era was an awful time for our allies in Europe, it still remain's my most peaceful .....yet exciting period of my life.

xxxooo

mama
valerie

Post by valerie »

Far Rider wrote: hahahaha Id have admitted it earlier but Im afraid of Val now! :yh_rotfl

hahaha more of a frontiersman! Black powder rifles and living off the land! building things with your own hands !!!!Be afraid, be VERY afraid!! ;)

I forgot to add... I'd carry a little two-shot pearl-handled Deringer in

my thigh garter!! Believe me, two shots would be enough!!

BEWARE THE BIMBETTE!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

minks

Post by minks »

Medieval times, knights in shining armor, men were men and sheep were afraid ahahah sorry

yes medieval times in the UK, the age of Catipulting rotting animal heads over castle walls to spread infection.

Firing flaming arrows at your opponents.

Weilding broad swords that weighted more than me.

Justice by being drawn and quartered.

Public hangings, the rack etc

Work hard, fight hard, play hard.

Or turn of the century north america cowboys and indians and wide open spaces ooooo yeah
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
valerie

Post by valerie »

LoveMama, I think it's very interesting (and NEAT!!) that you would go

back to a time you've already lived through! Wonder if there are others

out there who would?
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Jives

Post by Jives »

No problemo, and Yes...this is one of the most original threads I've ever seen and that's saying something! Nice work, LC!

for me it would be the turn of the 19th century, the Victorian Age. I absolutely LOVE the clothes then, maye I could even meet H.G. Wells or Jules Verne and have tea with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the creator of Sherlock Holmes)!

Ummm....one thing though.....they didn't have any MEDICINE back then!!! :o
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
abbey

Post by abbey »

I can just imagine you as a supersleuth in cape and tweeds Jives.
MicahLorain

Post by MicahLorain »

I'd pick about 1000bc in coastal China.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Hmmmmmmmm....

I would like to have been a schoolteacher in the late 19th century( much like Walnut Grove) until I meet that sweet "diamond in the rough"drifter passing through, who has saved his gold from the mines and was ready to settle down and start his own company. He needs and wants to learn how to read and write, so I help him and we fall in love, etc.

I would also like to have been an actress in the early fifties and a star of the Actors Studio and have been "great friends" with Brando and Dean and Monroe. Respected in both New York and Hollywood for my unique talent and down-to-earth good looks and demeanor.

I also would have like to have during the time of Jesus and actually hear him speak and see what he was like as a person. While he was out and about preaching and healing, wouldn't it have been great to get a smile or a friendly hug from Jesus himself?

Just thinking..................
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
theia

Post by theia »

Alright, so it was only myth but I would have loved to have lived on Mount Olympus and watched all the goings on of the various deities. And, okay, maybe I could have joined in one or two of their activities, the less grizzly ones. And hey, I could have met Zeus, been mother to nine gifted daughters and had an unforgettable memory.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Tan

Post by Tan »

40's-50's. Everyone seemed so proper and polite, everything seemed more fascinating.
Tan
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

OH! I love magic-wand moments. the 60s. :yh_peace :yh_peace nickel gas, a gear-heads paradise. :cool: go pic out your brand spanking new muscle car for a tenth of what the same car would cost you now. buy a bunch of stock in AT&T and IBM. get an acre of land for $400 instead of $3400.

"Free Love" as a wise lady told me recently, "the only thing you had to worry about when getting laid was: getting her pregnant."

get a complete meal at a nice restaurant for 18 and pay $30.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Return to “History”