british humour v american humour

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I don't always understand British humor on TV anyway, but one show I really liked was this one:

Are You Being Served?

(Stick with it till after the hat/pantyhose segment):)
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I LOVE Stewart from Mad TV....

I used to do the "look what I can do" at one of my offices to cheer up my g/f that was always stressed out!

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Humour, it's such an idividual thing :thinking:. Being a brit i'd have to say British humour is far better but it depends on the type of humour.... some of those Yanks are funny as ****.

I would say Krammy is by far the funniest guy here ...i still remember the old days and it was laugh a minute . Wisey is also a very funny guy but if Snooze were here she'd give him a run for his money along with Arnold lane and Clancy (such a shame they've gone, those four were hilarious together ) ..it really was much better (and funnier) in the old days.

I don't really think much of the humour around here now ..it's based to much on taking the pi$$ and putting people down (another brit thing) give me Krammys off the cuff don't- need- to- try genuine humour any day .:cool:
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Many years ago, before forums like this, I was part of an Amateur Press group. Its members were about 75% American and 25% Brit and we all sent articles to the editor who photocopied and stapled them and sent them out to the members, who read them, replied, wrote new articles and sent them in...

At one point just before I stopped being a member the question of the differences in humour came up and I wrote that I thought British humour was more sarcastic and American more slapstick. There may have been some minor truth in what I said, but now, looking back, I think we were all missing the point:

There isn't really a difference in the humour itself. What may be the difference is in how we use it. I won't attempt to suggest how Americans use humour, but I would suggest that British humour is used differently - the more serious or difficult an issue is, the more likely we are to joke about it.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

British humour is funnier. US sitcom has gone to cr@p. They all have to have a stupid sex related joke told a million times before to get a laugh, and now have to have their token homosexual character to complete the profile.

They use to be a lot better, but now they are all mostly sh1t.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I'd say it's fairly close, especially on FG...but if I had to pick I'd say American of course. :D :wah:
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I don't even know the difference between the two. I find things funny or I don't. Hell I have even laughed out loud at Spot a number of times. I don't think there is much difference, sometimes it's just the accent thingy or the different slangs that get lost on each other. The Brits get more American TV than we get of theirs so they understand our slangs better.

Who here doesn't laugh at Jimbo? If for no other reason than to feel good about not being as big a moron as he is.:wah: I get his humor quite well in fact, wait does that make me a moron too? Damn I keep doing that..:-5

The hardest humor to get is the Canadian humor in my opinion, think about it, when was the last time you laughed at a Canadian post eh? :wah:

Bring it on Canucks, make me laugh...:D
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Ah, its totally subjective, I get British humour more easily as we understand the Brits fairly well, but then we have a lot of American stuff over here sit coms and stand-up, and you have to say the standard of the best stuff from the states is pretty high, I think you have to remember that humour is essentially based on lanugauge, so any of the English speaking countries have an ability to understand the general humour that each has. Also, things like "Friends" and "Fraiser" have been huge across Europe and are very popular mostly because they are so well written, which means that even in translation people are able to understand quite a lot of the humour.

Irish humour tends to be somewhat surreal and whimsical, thats our way, we've always been like that. Must be something to do with living on our little green Island in the north atlantic.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

my husband is from Ireland and he's very funny! :D :-4

of course, he'd have to be since he married me.....:yh_silly :wah:
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;833793 wrote: I don't even know the difference between the two. I find things funny or I don't. Hell I have even laughed out loud at Spot a number of times. I don't think there is much difference, sometimes it's just the accent thingy or the different slangs that get lost on each other. The Brits get more American TV than we get of theirs so they understand our slangs better.

Who here doesn't laugh at Jimbo? If for no other reason than to feel good about not being as big a moron as he is.:wah: I get his humor quite well in fact, wait does that make me a moron too? Damn I keep doing that..:-5

The hardest humor to get is the Canadian humor in my opinion, think about it, when was the last time you laughed at a Canadian post eh? :wah:

Bring it on Canucks, make me laugh...:D

everybody laughs at Jimbo....I mean at his jokes......:D
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

sunny104;833809 wrote: my husband is from Ireland and he's very funny! :D :-4

of course, he'd have to be since he married me.....:yh_silly :wah:
Texans don't laugh...

They Hee Haw...:wah:
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

I think Americans are very funny - I'm always laughing at my neighbours :wah: not have as much as they laugh at me though :thinking::o:D
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Some things are different but if it's funny it's funny!!

Mind you, I'll laugh at anything after a couple of drinks..........:rolleyes:
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I've noticed a more than a few top U.S. comedians/writers are actually from Canada. Maybe they have less to worry about, and it cultivates more humor. :)

* Dan Aykroyd (Saturday Night Live, The Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters)

* Samantha Bee (The Daily Show)

* John Candy (SCTV, Uncle Buck, Spaceballs, Canadian Bacon)

* Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Man on the Moon, The Mask, Liar Liar, In Living Color)

* Michael Cera (Arrested Development, Superbad)

* Tommy Chong (Cheech & Chong, That '70s Show)

* Dave Foley (The Kids in the Hall, News Radio)

* Michael J. Fox (Family Ties, Back to the Future, Spin City)

* Phil Hartman (Saturday Night Live, The Simpsons, NewsRadio)

* Rich Little (impressionist)

* Tim Long (Head-writer for The Simpsons)

* Mike MacDonald (stand-up)

* Norm MacDonald (Saturday Night Live, The Norm Show)

* Howie Mandel (Bobby's World, The Tonight Show)

* Rachel McAdams (The Hot Chick, Mean Girls)

* Eric McCormack (Will & Grace)

* Bruce McCulloch (The Kids in the Hall)

* Kevin McDonald (The Kids in the Hall)

* Mark McKinney (The Kids in the Hall, Robson Arms)

* Lorne Michaels (Saturday Night Live)

* Colin Mochrie (This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Supertown Challenge, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Improv Heaven & Hell, Blackfly)

* Rick Moranis (SCTV)

* Mike Myers (Saturday Night Live, Wayne's World, Austin Powers)

* Leslie Nielsen (Liography, Zeroman, Men With Brooms, The Naked Gun)

* Will Sasso (Mad TV)

* William Shatner (Star Trek and various spoofs thereof, comedic commercials)

* Martin Short (SCTV, Primetime Glick, Saturday Night Live)

* Scott Thompson (The Kids in the Hall)

mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

yaaarrrgg;834480 wrote: I've noticed a more than a few top U.S. comedians/writers are actually from Canada. Maybe they have less to worry about, and it cultivates more humor. :)

* Dan Aykroyd (Saturday Night Live, The Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters)

* Samantha Bee (The Daily Show)

* John Candy (SCTV, Uncle Buck, Spaceballs, Canadian Bacon)

* Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Man on the Moon, The Mask, Liar Liar, In Living Color)

* Michael Cera (Arrested Development, Superbad)

* Tommy Chong (Cheech & Chong, That '70s Show)

* Dave Foley (The Kids in the Hall, News Radio)

* Michael J. Fox (Family Ties, Back to the Future, Spin City)

* Phil Hartman (Saturday Night Live, The Simpsons, NewsRadio)

* Rich Little (impressionist)

* Tim Long (Head-writer for The Simpsons)

* Mike MacDonald (stand-up)

* Norm MacDonald (Saturday Night Live, The Norm Show)

* Howie Mandel (Bobby's World, The Tonight Show)

* Rachel McAdams (The Hot Chick, Mean Girls)

* Eric McCormack (Will & Grace)

* Bruce McCulloch (The Kids in the Hall)

* Kevin McDonald (The Kids in the Hall)

* Mark McKinney (The Kids in the Hall, Robson Arms)

* Lorne Michaels (Saturday Night Live)

* Colin Mochrie (This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Supertown Challenge, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Improv Heaven & Hell, Blackfly)

* Rick Moranis (SCTV)

* Mike Myers (Saturday Night Live, Wayne's World, Austin Powers)

* Leslie Nielsen (Liography, Zeroman, Men With Brooms, The Naked Gun)

* Will Sasso (Mad TV)

* William Shatner (Star Trek and various spoofs thereof, comedic commercials)

* Martin Short (SCTV, Primetime Glick, Saturday Night Live)

* Scott Thompson (The Kids in the Hall)

That is very true, but I wonder why once they make it in the States do they quickly seem to forget where they come from.

Doland Sutherland is Canadian as well.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Tell you one area of American humour where they lead the world no question: Strip cartoons

Now there's a phrase open to misinterpretation...

You know: the funnies in the papers. Peanuts. Bloom County. Larson (though he's not strip). Peerless.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

mikeinie;833603 wrote: British humour is funnier. US sitcom has gone to cr@p. They all have to have a stupid sex related joke told a million times before to get a laugh, and now have to have their token homosexual character to complete the profile.

They use to be a lot better, but now they are all mostly sh1t.

I don’t know what kind of a mood I was in when I wrote this, but I need to reconsider my response. Perhaps, it my opinion is more impacted by what shows the BBC decides to show from American sitcoms (which seems to be the cr@p ones) which may be more reflective of the BBC rather than overall American comedy.

My kids love Hannah Montana (it is a great show), I like MAD TV, although I have to watch it on line as it in not on TV here, and there are other great shows.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I sometimes have trouble understanding British humor because although not sarcastic, it sometimes comes off dry in a way that I don't "get." Not all the time, just sometimes. And of course there's the language thing; not understanding some of the expressions and ways they're used can render something unfunny. I often find British humor when it comes to sexual stuff, to be more bawdy that American humor. American sexual humor IMO, is more straight and to the point while I think British humor is more um...suggestive. Coy.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

:wah:
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

:yh_rotfl
cars

Post by cars »

Right on jimbo, agree "Two and a half Men" is the funniest show on (American) TV. (Didn't know you guys got it there.)

As for British comedy TV, we really like "Keeping up Apperances" on BBC!
Cars :)
Lon

Post by Lon »

I like the Mr. Bean series which I have watched in New Zealand. He has not gone over very well with his recent movies here in the U.S. His antics crack me up despite the fact that he never talks.

Billy Connely is another one that I like, but his accent is hard for some Americans to pick up on.
soft3419

Post by soft3419 »

Well I am married to a Brit, and alot of the British comedy I find to be put downs and ALL sexual, and nasty. It seems like you cannot have comedy without sarcasm and raunchy ****. I dont mind that once in a while, but in everything you do. I stopped listening to Richard Prior for the same reason. But that is my opinion and you asked for it. :rolleyes:
gmc

Post by gmc »

soft3419;836738 wrote: Well I am married to a Brit, and alot of the British comedy I find to be put downs and ALL sexual, and nasty. It seems like you cannot have comedy without sarcasm and raunchy ****. I dont mind that once in a while, but in everything you do. I stopped listening to Richard Prior for the same reason. But that is my opinion and you asked for it. :rolleyes:

I do find one of the things I need to be careful about on this forum is watch how I phrase things. A lot of americans don't seem to realise realise when someone is taking the mickey and take comments meant in jest literally and find offence when none is actually intended. e.g. when the scots irish, english and welsh occasionally indulge in witty repartee about each others national characteristics there are some who think we are actually being serious about it. As if you could insult an irish bogtrotter or welsh sheep shagger
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jimbo;833555 wrote: which is best ?????

if you paste your fave british or american comedian or show we can see just what we find funny :D

I offer you Rowan and Martin :-

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

And from the British side, I offer you The Plank :-

Synopsis

Humorous tale of two workmen and a plank of wood who cause absolute chaos wherever they go. A silent comedy. Also available as part of a double feature. See 'The Plank / Rhubarb Rhubarb'.

"The Plank" is one of the very best of that lamentably rare breed of British comedy shorts that harks back to the days when everything on the screen was silent. There is barely a line of dialogue in the whole thing nor, indeed, is there any need for one. Sykes and Lowe set down a flawless performance worthy of Laurel and Hardy, and the numerous supporting cast are uniformly excellent--my favorite being the cyclist constable, still intrepid in spite of the staidness of middle age.

Eric Sykes, Tommy Cooper, Graham Stark, Stratford Johns, Jim Dale,Lionel Blair, Henry Cooper, Harry H. Corbett, Bernard Cribbins, Robert Dorning
elixer

Post by elixer »

Sometimes I find English humor to be a bit elitist and dry. Sometimes I find American humor to be very slapstick and stupid. Toilet humor is shared ground.

As someone else already pointed out, it is entirely subjective. I can appreciate comedy from both sides of the pond.

Stephen Colbert is my absolute favorite comedian. :) I'm a big fan of high-brow humor. Puns reign supreme as far as I am concerned. Colbert at the White House Correspondent's Dinner

Some of the funniest people I have ever met are Australian. Perhaps they're a a perfect blend...
soft3419

Post by soft3419 »

gmc;837275 wrote: I do find one of the things I need to be careful about on this forum is watch how I phrase things. A lot of americans don't seem to realise realise when someone is taking the mickey and take comments meant in jest literally and find offence when none is actually intended. e.g. when the scots irish, english and welsh occasionally indulge in witty repartee about each others national characteristics there are some who think we are actually being serious about it. As if you could insult an irish bogtrotter or welsh sheep shagger

Been married to my SCOT for 6 years, and we still have a bit of problems with exactly what you wrote. He not understand my humor and vise versa. Will it ever get better? LOL:confused:
Santanico

Post by Santanico »

I know this is a very obvious thing to say, but I think it's where you've been brought up. I personally find a lot of British humour far more amusing than American, and I think that's because we were exposed to more British humour when I was growing up, like The Goodies and The Young Ones (it's all American sitcoms now :() Aussie humour tends to be self-depriciative, but also very happy to take the pi$$ out of, well, pretty much everyone.

I guess our humour's not for everyone, I'm sure most Americans don't find The Castle as funny as some Aussies do :wah:
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Santanico;837360 wrote: I know this is a very obvious thing to say, but I think it's where you've been brought up. I personally find a lot of British humour far more amusing than American, and I think that's because we were exposed to more British humour when I was growing up, like The Goodies and The Young Ones (it's all American sitcoms now :() Aussie humour tends to be self-depriciative, but also very happy to take the pi$$ out of, well, pretty much everyone.

I guess our humour's not for everyone, I'm sure most Americans don't find The Castle as funny as some Aussies do :wah:

I love The Castle:wah:

Aussies have a great sense of humour,we tend to give as good as we get.

We usually aim jokes & crap at each other,knowing we will be laughed at ,with about.

I kind of like the way Aussies take the P out of each other,nothing taken to heart just a good old laugh.

My kids say my sense of humour is wayyyyyy out there anyway so I would probably be laughing my head of at things other people would'nt:wah::-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Santanico

Post by Santanico »

Let's hope it stays that way, huh?

PC madness is already beginning to invade :(
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Santanico;837482 wrote: Let's hope it stays that way, huh?

PC madness is already beginning to invade :(

The PC is getting worse & we are losing our fun loving ways.

I hate the fact that we are losing our traditions & way of life,because god forbid we say or do something that may upset others who have different views on life.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
soft3419

Post by soft3419 »

gmc;837275 wrote: I do find one of the things I need to be careful about on this forum is watch how I phrase things. A lot of americans don't seem to realise realise when someone is taking the mickey and take comments meant in jest literally and find offence when none is actually intended. e.g. when the scots irish, english and welsh occasionally indulge in witty repartee about each others national characteristics there are some who think we are actually being serious about it. As if you could insult an irish bogtrotter or welsh sheep shagger

:rolleyes: I have to say you all can really go to the curb on your "witty repartee" as you say. lol I really am trying to be better at it, especially when my hubby tries his wit on me. Lots of misunderstandings, and still working at it. It is an interesting combination to say the least. We call it an American/Scottish blend. My family is less forgiving I have to say that. They are much older, and sometimes take offense. Of course my hubby finds "humor" in that. Getting better though. Thanks for your post and being so honest about phrases, you are so right about us not understanding.

But I would not trade my Scotsman for anything.:-4
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

elixer;837301 wrote: Sometimes I find English humor to be a bit elitist and dry. Sometimes I find American humor to be very slapstick and stupid. Toilet humor is shared ground.

As someone else already pointed out, it is entirely subjective. I can appreciate comedy from both sides of the pond.

Stephen Colbert is my absolute favorite comedian. :) I'm a big fan of high-brow humor. Puns reign supreme as far as I am concerned. Colbert at the White House Correspondent's Dinner

Some of the funniest people I have ever met are Australian. Perhaps they're a a perfect blend...

That is hilarious, that would never happen here, that politicians would sit their and laugh while they were getting the p*ss taken out of them something rotten. Great!
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
elixer

Post by elixer »

Galbally;839516 wrote: That is hilarious, that would never happen here, that politicians would sit their and laugh while they were getting the p*ss taken out of them something rotten. Great!

Isn't he brilliant! Bush's face is priceless. Colbert is a real gem. In the early days, he'd have guests on that obviously had no idea what they were in for. He had Bill O'Reilly on (a right-wing, ultra conservative nutcase after whom he has modeled his character) and I don't know if I have ever laughed so much in my life.

This poor congressman, Representative Robert Wexler of Florida, was lambasted after this interview. I thought he was a good sport.

Return to “General Chit Chat”