The Declaration of Independence

Philadelphia Eagle

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

As we approach the 229th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence I thought it appropriate to post a copy of the historic document signed by the Founding Fathers.

It was too large to fit my scanner in one piece so I've had to divide it into four.

Attached files
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
gmc

Post by gmc »

The original and best

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/a ... glish.html

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Of course British readers will understand the irony inherent in the language being used.
Raven

Post by Raven »

And you can find the original copy (they didnt have royal mail then) in the British archives. I wouldnt have wanted to be the messenger who had to deliver it to King George! :yh_laugh

The original signed draft is on display in the national archives Washington DC.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Jives

Post by Jives »

Our founding Fathers were amazingly farsighted people. The proof is in the fact that despite cloning, biological weapons, atomic bombs and a host of other modern complications, the Constitution still seems to hold up to every problem.

The only thing that was not resolved in that document was slavery. Despite the best efforts of many, that was never addressed, since the southern colonies would have refused to sign it if that had been included.

It took a Civil War and thousands of lives to resolve that unaddressed issue. :(
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

I have always thought it an extraordinary document, the fact that it has stood the test of time shows how farsighted they authors were.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
Raven

Post by Raven »

The ideals of the US constitution are based on an equally great document. The Magna Carta.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~

Return to “History”