Water and Sewerage charges

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
spot

Post by spot »

I have my annual bill from the water company.

Water services, £267.90

Sewerage Services, £392.85

Total, £660.75

Or for anyone in the USA, $1300 a year.

How does that compare with other parts of the world? Am I averagely low, getting a good deal, or what?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;827620 wrote: I have my annual bill from the water company.

Water services, £267.90

Sewerage Services, £392.85

Total, £660.75

Or for anyone in the USA, $1320 a year.

How does that compare with other parts of the world? Am I averagely low, getting a good deal, or what?

You are low, come to Cornwall, where the average bill is well over £1,000 a year. :(
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I pay just about $200 a quarter, so $800/year.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

That sounds comparable to most mid-sized cities in the United States. Water/Sewage/Garbage pickup (if you don't overdo it on the water) runs around $120 per month.

Of course, if you have a big lawn or a pool, you can expect water bills alone of several hundred per month.

Small towns or in counties where there are no municipalities must be like the UK: Just the cost of electricity for your well pump.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm under a permanent ban on sprinklers because I'm not metered.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

spot;827645 wrote: I'm under a permanent ban on sprinklers because I'm not metered.

A perfect excuse to stand out in the garden with a hose in one hand and a frosty beverage in the other. :D
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

My total annual bill has just gone up to £453.00 a year and I am seriously considering changing to metered water, the water company (Welsh Water) have estimated that my bill should reduce to between £227 to £275 a year and that is a big difference to my finances.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

We have a well and a septic tank - it costs about $300 (every 2 years) to have tank emptied.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Tombstone;827637 wrote: That sounds comparable to most mid-sized cities in the United States. Water/Sewage/Garbage pickup (if you don't overdo it on the water) runs around $120 per month.

Of course, if you have a big lawn or a pool, you can expect water bills alone of several hundred per month.

Small towns or in counties where there are no municipalities must be like the UK: Just the cost of electricity for your well pump.

No garbage - that's part of the community tax.

They charge you for supplying it and they charge you for taking it away - occasionally they allow you to drink some on the way through :-)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;827645 wrote: I'm under a permanent ban on sprinklers because I'm not metered.

We're metered so we're only under a semi-permanent hosepipe ban :wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky;827876 wrote: I'm not metered either, i just pay the lump sum. How is mine so cheap compared to everyone elses? Not that I'm complaining mind!

Sewage disposal costs more than water supply but ninety for the year still sounds cheap. Keep you mouth shut and your head down - I reckon you're on to a winner :-)
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I pay @ $25.00 a month for water and @ $300.00 a year for the garbage to be picked up twice a week.

Yes - that's inexpensive and I love it...

It's the best deal in the State..

Patsy
koan

Post by koan »

I was shocked by that "council tax" thing that is billed every month. That is separate, yes? What does council tax pay for?
spot

Post by spot »

The council tax pays about a third of council spending. The rest of the council income is from taxing business premises and from national taxation distributed back to local councils.

The council's responsible for funding state schools, the police, refuse collection, sweeping the streets, road maintenance, street lighting, the fire service, parks, payments toward the housing costs of those who can't afford housing, any subsidy voted toward public transport. That sort of thing.

The average household council tax in England is around £1100 ($2200), mine's twice that.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

spot;827620 wrote: Am I averagely low ?

Theres nothing average about you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

I'm just average, common too

I'm just like him, the same as you

I'm everybody's brother and son

I ain't different from anyone

It ain't no use a-talking to me

It's just the same as talking to you.
koan

Post by koan »

You still have income tax as well...

I've never paid anything but income tax while renting until I was in England. The property owners pay property tax based on size of property and value of home but not based on the number of residents. Oh, and POP tax (PST and GST) which targets those who consume the most resources.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Over here, unlike the Uk, we also pay 'school taxes' - we paid $3,000 (majority of that was school taxes) last year.
spot

Post by spot »

Everyone, pheasy, or just parents with children at school? If it's everyone then that's just like the council tax here which goes toward school costs.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

spot;828453 wrote: Everyone, pheasy, or just parents with children at school? If it's everyone then that's just like the council tax here which goes toward school costs.

Yes everyone. It is pretty much council tax as far as I can see.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Roseville, California

Our annual Water Charge is $169.44 USD

Sewer 494.40 USD

Total Annual Charges $ 663.84 USD

Annual Electricity is $ 507 24 USD

Return to “Home Management”