names

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
Happy Gram

names

Post by Happy Gram »

When you hear someone say a name you don't care for..... how do you react? How about Ed... being Edgar instead of Edward?? If it were your husband's name would you care what people thought? He goes by Ed but on legal docs it appears.. you won't believe how rude people can be......
spot

names

Post by spot »

Edgar's a perfectly respectable name, lots of Anglo-Saxon kings were called Edgar. The winner in the King Lear Final is usually an Edgar too.

There may be names I'd not give a dog but to put any into this thread is risky, there's bound to be one among the membership.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Happy Gram

names

Post by Happy Gram »

Sometimes one's kind words can heal in ways one does not know... thank you... and God bless you for your kind words.... :0):-4
Santanico

names

Post by Santanico »

Edgar is also the name of the talking computer in the 1984 movie "Electric Dreams" one of my favourite movies when I was a kid :)

I don't really have a problem with any names, a rose by any other name etc.....
Happy Gram

names

Post by Happy Gram »

ah, you're sweet.... but what if someoneheard the name and laughed or snickered?? How would you reply?
Santanico

names

Post by Santanico »

I have a fairly unusual name (or it was when I was growing up) so I got hassled a lot for it. As an adult, if someone laughed at my name, I guess it would depend on the situation, but I'd probably just ask them outright if they have a problem. At the end of the day though, you have to chose your battles, and I've got more important things to worry about than whether someone like my name or not.
Happy Gram

names

Post by Happy Gram »

The funny thing is.... I don't give a rat's whatever... WHAT anyone's name is... I like THEM PERIOD or not....... but I tend to get 'stuck' and obsess... again, back to my lovely critical and judgemental mother... remarks she made early on when I married Ed.... and he couldn't be a better guy.........
spot

names

Post by spot »

Happy Gram;822505 wrote: ah, you're sweet.... but what if someoneheard the name and laughed or snickered?? How would you reply?

I will preserve myself: and am bethought to take the basest and most poorest shape that ever penury, in contempt of man, brought near to beast. My face I'll grime with filth; blanket my loins: elf all my hair in knots and with presented nakedness out-face the winds and persecutions of the sky.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
jennyswan

names

Post by jennyswan »

I would think it rather childish to laugh at someones name especially if you're grown up enough to know that it's hurtful and rude. A good answer would be, "my mother gave me this name because she knew I was born to stand out" :)
RedGlitter

names

Post by RedGlitter »

Happy Gram;822505 wrote: ah, you're sweet.... but what if someoneheard the name and laughed or snickered?? How would you reply?

Quite frankly Happy Gram, if that were the case, I would wonder about that snickering person's intelligence. A kid doing that is one thing, but an adult doing that -to one's face- is unacceptable. And because I'm forthright, I would say as much to that person. However, I tend to agree more with Santanico- I've bigger fish to fry than some moron who thinks my name is funny. That's where you shrug it off and say "whatever."

Names come in and out of fashion. Look at the names just since the 1800s- Thania, Theodosia, Godfrey, Hildegaard, even typical female names like Loren and Valerie for men. Those were quite popular in their time but wouldn't be very much so today.

For what it's worth, this member thinks Edgar is a rather elegant name. :-6
PurpleChicken

names

Post by PurpleChicken »

I tend to agree. We all have bigger battles to fight.

All of that said, I will admit to occassionally wondering when you hear a strange name - what were their parents thinking. But names are very persona and it all comes down to personal preferences and beliefs. I was brought to certainly keep any negative thoughts about someone's name to myself!
along-for-the-ride

names

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I have a friend whose name is Diana ;), but most folks just call her Diane. She does correct the user, but gets called Diane again by somebody else. A minor annoyance for her. It's her name and she's proud of it.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Chezzie

names

Post by Chezzie »

Well like its been said Id think someone pretty rude and very insecure in their own self if they needed to get their kicks out of laughing at someones name. Wouldnt of thought it a big deal these days what with people going to extremes to name their children with quite wacky names. Edward, Edgar and Ed all sound perfectly fine to me.

My boss's friend called their daughter mushroom and their son brocolli which I find strange and yes I feel sorry for the kids but laugh at them.Never.:)
WonderWendy3

names

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I called a woman that attended the same church as I "Patsy" and she firmly corrected me that her name was Pat, I felt horrible and she didn't let me forget it anytime soon. (this was over 15 years ago, and I still remember it well).

As for making fun of someones' name, I have to agree with RG, that is very childish thing for an adult. I had a mother-in-law like that at one time too....I got fussed at for naming my children the names I gave them, and find it ironic that the people that complained about thier names have had nothing to do with the wonderful people they have turned out to be.

At the end of the day, a name is how we are identified, not WHO we are....right?
Bryn Mawr

names

Post by Bryn Mawr »

PurpleChicken;822564 wrote: I tend to agree. We all have bigger battles to fight.

All of that said, I will admit to occassionally wondering when you hear a strange name - what were their parents thinking. But names are very persona and it all comes down to personal preferences and beliefs. I was brought to certainly keep any negative thoughts about someone's name to myself!

One does wonder - I use to work with a Fryda Payne for example, one of our local builders is Walter Lilly and I've met several John Thomas's. What were the parents thinking of?
WonderWendy3

names

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Bryn Mawr;823370 wrote: One does wonder - I use to work with a Fryda Payne for example, one of our local builders is Walter Lilly and I've met several John Thomas's. What were the parents thinking of?

My favorite story is from my former boss/friend who was an attorney, one of her first clients was "Richard Head" and he insisted on being called Dick....my friend couldn't keep a straight face and had to leave the room....:wah:

Return to “Mental Health”