Who's Really A Christian ??

Discuss the Christian Faith.
tonytony

Post by tonytony »

For many this is a judgmental question but who real enough to deal with

Amos 3:3 and 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 ?

We live in a time where many will say your moral enough to be a Christian if you don't mess around with your mate and get drunk and don't come on judgmental and hateful. They'll then say if you acknowledge a God and the grace of the cross with Jesus then you can have any bible beliefs you want and still be surely a Christian for sure.

How can that be true if the bible says all scripture is for doctrine, etc. ?

2 Timothy 3:16.

How can that be true if God has the intrepretation only ? 2 Peter 1:20-21 .

Since Christian unity involves every bible verse then only unbelievers defensive

about sharing their stand on Romans 7:2-3 and 1 Timothy 2:9-14 ?

Since every bible verse is God intrepreted only then only unbelievers quoting

verses on grace and the fact that's it's Godly not to judge only ? 2 Peter 1:20-21.

How honest are you ?

Unbelievers are preachers and tongue talkers ?

They have successful marriages and don't cheat too ?

They raise their children well and go to church ?

They have successful careers and are tycoon and celebrities too ?

They kick butt too with testimonies ?

They do miracles too and have giant faith ?

They go through tribulation Godly also ?

They give up cigarettes and alcohol too ?

Obviously they don't believe Romans 7:2-3 ?

Obviously they don't believe 1 Timothy 2:9-14 ?

Realize counterfeit unity more dangerous than counterfeit money ?

You the real deal like Holyfield for an equal yoke ? 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 .

We doing Christian unity correct ? Amos 3:3 .
abbey

Post by abbey »

Naaaaaaaah dont ask me, I'm just a drunken athiest.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

umm huh? We can't judge who a Christian is. Such as this example...

A couple gets married in front of God and everyone. They are legally married. But the husband never kisses her or really talks to her. Are they a husband and wife? Technically, Yes. But what you do question is... does this person really love his wife?

Same with Christians... we can all say the sinners prayer and TECHNICALLY be a Christian... but it comes down to love. If a person truly loves God then they show it through the way Christ says in the bible. We are imperfect and can never hit the standards Christ did in the bible but we can strive toward them. So are you technically a Christian if you never spread the gospel? Are you a Christian if you never read the bible? Technically, yes. But if you love God you would want to do these things.

My prof, when he was younger, asked a Baptist how they believe they can always be saved and still sin. The Baptist answered in a most profound way... "why would i want to sin if i love God?"

In summary for those who don't like to read...

Technically if you ask Christ into your heart you are a Christian... but it doesn't mean you love him.
Smoke signals ftw!
abbey

Post by abbey »

Omni_Skittles;801525 wrote: umm huh? We can't judge who a Christian is. Such as this example...

A couple gets married in front of God and everyone. They are legally married. But the husband never kisses her or really talks to her. Are they a husband and wife? Technically, Yes. But what you do question is... does this person really love his wife?

Same with Christians... we can all say the sinners prayer and TECHNICALLY be a Christian... but it comes down to love. If a person truly loves God then they show it through the way Christ says in the bible. We are imperfect and can never hit the standards Christ did in the bible but we can strive toward them. So are you technically a Christian if you never spread the gospel? Are you a Christian if you never read the bible? Technically, yes. But if you love God you would want to do these things.

My prof, when he was younger, asked a Baptist how they believe they can always be saved and still sin. The Baptist answered in a most profound way... "why would i want to sin if i love God?"

In summary for those who don't like to read...

Technically if you ask Christ into your heart you are a Christian... but it doesn't mean you love him.My, how you've grown. :-6
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

abbey;801527 wrote: My, how you've grown. :-6haha i will take that as a compliment..
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

tonytony:-6

To begin with it depends on whether or not one accepts the Bible as the literal and inerrant word of God. The Bible does say that all scripture is inspired but it makes no claim whatsoever that it is inerrant and that it should be taken literally. That is purely a man made doctrine and has no Biblical foundation at all.

7 of the letters attributed to Paul do come from Paul. The rest come from his followers and were written after his death. It was an attempt to sanitize Paul, who was a radical, and make his more acceptable to the Roman Empire.

In Paul's writings we can see that he did make use of women disciples. It is highly unlikely that Paul would later say that women should shut up in church. This is not Paul. Jesus himself had women followers such as Mary of Magdala.

The Bible was never intended to be taken literally. That is the child of the reformation and does not go back to the apostles. It is primarily a midrashic and symbolic writing making great use of metaphor. If you want a further explanation of "midrash" I can supply it.

I almost forgot to answer the question. Anyone who follows in the footsteps of Jesus is a Christian.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Ted

Post by Ted »

Let me add a hearty welcome to the garden. I hope you enjoy your walks here.

Shalom

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Ted;801576 wrote:

The Bible was never intended to be taken literally. That is the child of the reformation and does not go back to the apostles. It is primarily a midrashic and symbolic writing making great use of metaphor. If you want a further explanation of "midrash" I can supply it.

Shalom

Ted:-6I think some parts of the bible we can take literally. It all depends though. I mean obviously proverbs and psalms we can't. Can i ask you something Ted. What is your belief.... religion... whatever you want to call it. I'm not fully sure.
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Omni:-6

I am first and foremost a Christian but I am also a pluralist. I am a member of Anglican communion, a student at the Vancouver School of Theology and a former student minister[never completed by my choice] My church is well aware of my position and I am called upon to the Eucharistic ministry as well as to give sermons.

As a pluralist I recognize and accept the validity of all of the world's great faiths because all began on the same basis; justice and compassion.

I hope that answers your question but if not ask further and I will be happy to comply.

Shalom

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Ted;801588 wrote: Omni:-6

I am first and foremost a Christian but I am also a pluralist. I am a member of Anglican communion, a student at the Vancouver School of Theology and a former student minister[never completed by my choice] My church is well aware of my position and I am called upon to the Eucharistic ministry as well as to give sermons.

As a pluralist I recognize and accept the validity of all of the world's great faiths because all began on the same basis; justice and compassion.

I hope that answers your question but if not ask further and I will be happy to comply.

Shalom

Ted:-6Wow, that's neat. haha I'm too use to conservative evangelicals, which i have now become haha. and probably the craziest of them all... pentecostal. I see why a lot of your posts consist of Theology now. haha
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

I have no problem with Pentecostals. I think it is important to learn about all folks and learn to respect and accept them as they are. No one will always agree with another all the time and in some cases not often at all.

I am formally trained in Bible translation, both Hebrew and Greek; biblical history, the interpretation etc. Much of my reading lately has been both into spirituality as well as the history of Christianity and the Bible as a book itself.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

One thing I should add is that the more I study the more I realize how little I really know. That is what makes studying so interesting.

Shalom

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Ted;801599 wrote: Omni:-6

I have no problem with Pentecostals. I think it is important to learn about all folks and learn to respect and accept them as they are. No one will always agree with another all the time and in some cases not often at all.

I am formally trained in Bible translation, both Hebrew and Greek; biblical history, the interpretation etc. Much of my reading lately has been both into spirituality as well as the history of Christianity and the Bible as a book itself.

Shalom

Ted:-6I am at the beginning stages of Theology, and Bible interpretation. I fear hermeneutics and i don't even know what it is. That's what i been taught here so far. We all start at one point and come up with different conclusions. i just wish i knew which is the closest.
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Sounds good. Just consider well the biases of your teachers. There are many interpretations of many of each thing. For example there are many interpretations to the crucifixion of Jesus and not just one.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

All good research begins with an hypothesis and works towards a conclusion. The problem with some is that they decide on the conclusion and then try to make the facts or evidence fit. This is not a valid approach to any research.

Shalom

Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I think the answer to who is really a Christian is very simple.

If you believe Jesus, is God's son, the Savior, and you try to follow His teachings, you are a Christian.

I used to have a preacher that quoted John 3: 16, he called that verse Christianity in a nutshell, because it sums up the whole idea of our faith.

it says;

For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotton Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
tonytony

Post by tonytony »

I'm not complicated with being real.

We having some bible believers on what God say about:

Jewelry ?

Women preachers ?

Divorce and remarriage adultery ?

We got an equal yoke in Christ like God want or are we wasting time talking ?

2 Corinthians 6:14-17

Amos 3:3

Don't have no special I.Q. if I be real with you but I believe what God say about an equal yoke with Christians ?

What kind of unity we got ?

We got the same Father or what?

Jewelry your taught religion in the bible ? 1 Timothy 2:9-14 ?

What about women preachers ? Titus 2 1 Cor. 14:34-35

What about the adultery of the bible too ? Romans 7:2-3

God your only intrepreter of the bible only ? 2 Peter 1:20-21

All the bible your religion like God say ? 2 Timothy 3:16

God your only correct intrepreter only ? 2 Peter 1:20-21

We really doing unity in Christ right ? 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 Amos 3:3

Evidence of a equal yoke with us or this not the real deal like Holyfield ? Amos 3:3
Ted

Post by Ted »

There arises a serious problem when the Bible is taken literally. It leads to all kinds of absurdities.

In reading your reference to 2 Cor. 6:14-18 I am reminded of whom Jesus himself associated with. He spent more time among the oppressed, the down trodden, the sinners and tax collectors and prostitutes than he did with the so called righteous.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

The op question raises another question in my mind. Does this question have within it the implication of exclusivity?

Shalom

spot

Post by spot »

The very way in which the argument's put is frustrating, it says don't talk to me unless you're already one of the elite. Either you know the references well enough by sight or you can find another discussion.

tonytony, you have a computer in front of you, it's painless for you to expand your scriptural references to include the relevant texts. Who on earth do you think's going to be sat decyphering what you're trying to say when you could be writing explicitly instead of in code if you felt inclined to? This site isn't a bible college and even if it were you'd get more people following your thoughts if you offered a focus on the words rather than on your authority.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I would say those who sit around spouting scripture and trying to prove they are right all day should get out and practice what they preach. Christianity, the love for your fellow human being.

One of the most Christian acts I ever had the offer of came from a Jehovahs witness( I know they get bad press) They regularly came to call and give out their magazines then just before Christmas one year my son who was just 1 yr old got mumps BAD... I couldn't take him out with me and couldn't leave him alone so when they came to the door I said 'sorry cant talk today my son is ill and I'm really busy with everything'.

A couple of hours later the doorbell went and there was one of the JW ladies. I started to say You've already been here when she said 'look I can see you are really having a difficult time what can I do to help? She offered to go and do my Christmas shopping for me, which considering JW's don't celebrate Christmas I thought it was really nice of her.

She didn't try to push her belief onto me she just wanted to help..

By the way it was more than my Good, Christian, church going nieghbours :rolleyes: ( ha ha) ever did.

Actions speak louder than words.
amale

Post by amale »

I was a born christian.

But not really a christian by practice.

Untill i learned how a christian should be:

Love your enemies - pray from them.

Love your partents -t ake care of them.

Love you spouse - dont think of another.

Love god and keep yourself clean from sins

folow the commandments.
Ted

Post by Ted »

We had a most wonderful and meaningful Good Friday service this AM. There was a spot in the service where as individuals we could approach a large wooden cross erected for that purpose. Alone at the foot of the cross was most a very moving experience.

Shalom

Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Ted;812308 wrote: We had a most wonderful and meaningful Good Friday service this AM. There was a spot in the service where as individuals we could approach a large wooden cross erected for that purpose. Alone at the foot of the cross was most a very moving experience.

Shalom

we had a very moving Easter Sunday service at our church. We had a wooden cross erected at the front of our church too. we all went forward and took communion in front of it. But just the thought of what that cross represented and what Jesus endured for us, moves me to tears just thinking about it!:)
Ted

Post by Ted »

Hope:-6

I know what you mean. Amen.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

I just love the ads at the top of the monitor. No wonder so many are turned off a religious faith and especially Christianity. Their messages are pitiful.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”