Linksys Router

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

Let me admit first by saying, I don't know all that much about computers and how they work.

Nevertheless, silly me, went and bought this system for wireless routing to a laptop. I had to wait about seven months to install it. On 12302007 we started installing the router. Had to call tech support.

Tried to bring up internet on laptop, didn't work. Had to call tech support.

Found out my laptop was not wireless 'internally' and had to go buy a card. Inserted the card, wouldn't work. Had to call tech support.

Got it running. Several days later, opened laptop, couldn't access internet. Had to call tech support. Got it running. **Note: by this time I was writing down everything I was told to do so I would know how to fix it next time*.

Several days later, blah blah blah, couldn't connect to internet. Had to call tech support. *Note: notes were no good*. :-5

Today, couldn't connect to internet. Had to call tech support. Told person what I had been through and wanted this fixed and fixed for good today. He couldn't do it and want to reconfigure my router and I said NO! Explained that there was nothing wrong with my router, my desktop, laptop, house, car or atmosphere. It was their product. Asked for supervisor. He said there was nothing else they could do since my router was probably corrupted. In under one month, with all the firewalls, safety crap running, how could this happen? He had no answer.

Demanded number to someone who would give me my money back since the store would not because a)I no longer have the receipt and b) it's been too long. Told him I didn't care if they gave me money, store credit, debit card or green stamps, I wanted my money back!

Called every number there was and everything was closed until Monday. I noticed something strange on my puter while I was talking to him and after all the phone calls went back in to look at it.

Tweeked it and looked down and low and behold--I had a connection. But the Linksys icon is gone but it says that it is connected to my router.

Question: If I was connected to someone elses, would it still have my router name on it?

When I turn this laptop off today and tomorrow I am not connected, I am finding out the name of the president and owner of Linksys and calling him/her and getting my money back!

Why does everything have to be so difficult? Why can't you just connect A to B and be done with it? No offense to the male gardeners here, but I swear women make things simpler! :thinking:

I just want to get with the tech age and carry on with a normal life without having to meet every person in India!!!:-5
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
spot

Linksys Router

Post by spot »

Honestly - you bought a wireless router for your laptop and the laptop didn't even have wireless capability?

For the time being you might just plug your ethernet cable back in, that'll be trouble free until things are worked out - just ignore the wireless card you added for the moment.

What's the model of the wireless card and the router?

What's your operating system?

I'll put money on it, you don't have a hardware issue.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

spot;760304 wrote: Honestly - you bought a wireless router for your laptop and the laptop didn't even have wireless capability?

No, my computer is wireless. I thought it was an internal wireless system not a card system. Please refer to my first sentence in the OP. I checked the computer, I checked the handbook and I called the company before I bought the router to be sure it was wireless.

For the time being you might just plug your ethernet cable back in, that'll be trouble free until things are worked out - just ignore the wireless card you added for the moment.

I am having no problems with my desktop. the router is not interferring with it at all. I don't wish to really screw anything more over by undoing what has been done. Call me crazy :p

What's the model of the wireless card and the router?

WRT54G. I bought the card to match the router rather than go with another brand for fear of ********ing things up.

What's your operating system?

Windows XP on laptop. Windows (Vista) on desktop. Is that what you mean?

I'll put money on it, you don't have a hardware issue.

Me too. It's their product, I'm sure of it. And their tech support people.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

Wait, let me be more specific about that whole wireless thing.

I have a card slot on the side of my puter. I did not open my puter and put something inside it.

Is that clearer? Sorry, I didn't want you to think I was mucking around inside the guts of my puter.

Mae West
spot

Linksys Router

Post by spot »

I'm trying to follow the picture, truly. You just brought a second computer into it though - a desktop. I've no idea where that fits or how it connects.

You had a laptop and you went out and bought a wireless card for it. That suggests to me that the laptop wasn't wireless-enabled at the time, and having to go out and buy a wireless card for it after your first tech support call tells me the same thing. Yes the laptop was wireless capable. With the wireless card added it's now wireless-enabled.

You've not said what model the wireless card is.

When I wrote "I'll put money on it, you don't have a hardware issue" I don't just mean the laptop and the wireless card, I mean the router as well. Swapping any of your hardware isn't going to make anything easier.

I presume your desktop is connected to the WRT54G with a cable? And that it's behaving fine through all this?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

I'm trying to follow the picture, truly. You just brought a second computer into it though - a desktop. I've no idea where that fits or how it connects.

I know you are and I appreciate it. Yes, I have a desktop, always have, but I just replaced it with a newer one recently. To set up the router, it goes from the modem to the router to the PC

You had a laptop and you went out and bought a wireless card for it. That suggests to me that the laptop wasn't wireless-enabled at the time, and having to go out and buy a wireless card for it after your first tech support call tells me the same thing. Yes the laptop was wireless capable. With the wireless card added it's now wireless-enabled.

OK. Computer language is also one of my downfalls. Yes, you are correct.

You've not said what model the wireless card is.

Model WPC54G. Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter

When I wrote "I'll put money on it, you don't have a hardware issue" I don't just mean the laptop and the wireless card, I mean the router as well. Swapping any of your hardware isn't going to make anything easier.

But don't you think something got lost in the set up somehow? And that's the reason it keeps dropping off? A step left out or a number missed? What? Even tech support can't find anything wrong.

I presume your desktop is connected to the WRT54G with a cable? And that it's behaving fine through all this?

Yes and yes.

I have spoken to several people who also have this system and they have some of the same problems I have. Especially when it is first installed. It says "Congratulations! System intalled". But it will not connect to the internet. That's the first time they make you call tech support. Three people I have spoken to had that same thing happen to them. One person was having the same probs I'm having now and gave up and went to another system and is having no probs now.

Mae West
spot

Linksys Router

Post by spot »

What I'm trying to do is get your router and laptop properly aware of each other, that's the objective.

I'm going to ask a few details about what you did when you set up the system, it might cut out a few posts.

On your desktop when you installed the WRT54G router did you go to the router's administration screen and change any of the defaults? If you didn't make any changes then that might be the problem. The default name for your own wireless is "linksys" and lots of people don't change that. If a neighbour is also using "linksys" then your laptop might be trying to reach the wrong system. That name's called the SSID.

The easy way to check what you've got is to log in from your desktop browser. Go to http://192.168.1.1 and enter a blank username, password "admin". If you get a Linksys screen, there are hyperlink titles. One's "wireless" and it ought to show you

Basic Wireless Settings

Wireless Network Name (SSID):

Wireless Channel:

Wireless SSID Broadcast:

Wireless security

Security Mode:

Wireless MAC Filter

Access restriction:

Wireless Client List:

If you can look and tell me what those say we'll know where we're starting from. I'm sure we can get the router stable and then hook the laptop into it properly. I quite likely have some of the prompts different, just type those you can see in those three areas.
changinglanes

Linksys Router

Post by changinglanes »

I set up my own home network with 4 desk tops and 3 laptops via wireless router.

@ of the desktops required wireless cards very easy to install. When I set up my router I made sure to secure it with a password. If left unsecure any one near your home could get on your network not to mention those that lay in wait on internet servers with their thrifty scanning methods seeking open ports.

I suggest you READ READ READ and READ some more, all you can on each topic of computing and routers and mobile phones. Mobile phone are now used as an internet connection to computers via USB cable or Bluetooth devices. There are many websites that will scan your ports and tell you how tight your security is.

They are free and you can scan your pc for viruses and spyware online too.

I have 2 antivirus software installed on mine and I just bought one of them "Eset"

and it missed an intrusion. I went to an online site and did a live scan and it found 2 viruses. I common Zlob trojan and the other Microsoft never knew existed Win32.f.gen my entire regisrty had been changed and it happened because I clicked on cousin's digital signature key. All I do is read about computer & internet safety and do most of my own IT work on all our computers. I enjoy it actually, not the trojans, worms, viruses, or the hackers though. I love learning all I can to stay safe and up to date.

There is a very small reset button you can hold down for a moment that will reset your Linksys router to factory settings. Then type in the IP 192.168.1.1 in your web browser (do this offline) type in admin for username and admin for password and you can reconfigure your router and set a new password. You can also set it up to where everyone in your network has to log on with a password too. I even put a password on my Bios too.

You can keep a small note book to keep track of pw's and change them each month. Just remember where you hide your little note book.
spot

Linksys Router

Post by spot »

We all have different interests - 911 knows more about genealogy than most of us. A computer is a useful tool but it should take as little investment in time as possible. Having to waste hours getting a wireless link stable is infuriating when there's other things to be done that matter.
CARLA

Linksys Router

Post by CARLA »

What company do you get your internet service through?? Cable(road runner, cox, DSL (through your Phone company). If through your Cable provider save yourself the grief and have them come and install your wireless network worth every dime you pay.

I had similar issues when I tried to use a Linksys wireless router at home. I finally gave up and went with my providers wireless gateway router haven't had a problem since.

Might be some setting with your firewall as well.

You might logon to your internet provider and look up how to set up a router through them. Good luck I know how your feel. :-5:-5
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

changinglanes

Linksys Router

Post by changinglanes »

I actually did not commit all of my time in setting up our home network. I found it to be simple because I read the cd with graphics displaying how to properly install it. I saved well over $150 doing it myself. A lot depends on what type of internet connection you have. 5 yrs. ago DSL didn't offer firewalls. I had to have a router.

2 yrs. (don't quote me on the 2yrs for I am guesstimating) ago most computers had wireless capabilities built in so it wasn't that difficult.

It still doesn't keep 100% free from hackers. If someone wants to hack your system bad enough trust me they can. No router with firewalls, antivirus or any other software will help. I just went through it.

My kids do a lot of research for homework online and haven't slept well since a death in the family so I read. I do feel getting a system with the new Windows Vista had a lot to do with my system getting hacked.

I work from home so security is an issue for our family.

I just started doing genealogy 3 mos. ago. I caught up with a some distant relatives and one of them had been at for 6 yrs. and traced my grandfather's side back to the 1700's. It takes a lot of time reading through materials and is especially difficult when you need the 1890 cenus that was destroyed. Perhaps I will get a chance to ask 911 some questions. I am at a brick wall right now.

Thanks for the feedback.
CARLA

Linksys Router

Post by CARLA »

Like I say almost 5 times a day at work "I will never forgive Bill Gates for VISTA." I have nightmares about this software should not have been released.

It causes so many interface problems with products, software, and just life that I refuse to run it in the Office. I just don't have the time to babysit it. :-5:-5

I will say I have become and expert on how to uninstall it.. :wah::wah:

[QUOTE]Windows Vista [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

OK, I'm back and I'm wireless and I don't know how this is happening.

Spot, when you come back see if you can answer my questions here. Or anyone for that matter. I ready to yell UNCLE and call in the geek squad.

Now for the info of the day. On the bottom right hand corner of my screen are tiny icons for the programs on my puter. Today, earlier, the little computer with the big red X was on the toolbar, but, somehow, I went online. That one tiny computer is my wireless network icon. When I clicked on it and asked for available wireless services only my service was listed but not connected. And the Linksys icon is gray instead of green as it should be if I were online.

As I asked in my OP, how can I tell if I am on my network or someone elses? How can I tell if someone is on mine?

Now for the question of the day. . . . Is it possible that my Norton Internet Security is somehow messing up my wireless? I keep getting this screen that says that Symantec has a firewall and I have Windows firewall set as 'on'. Norton prefers that I use only their firewall and turn mine off. Seems to me that too much security is better than not enough. Silly me, huh?:-5

Now, later, I come back to wireless and that tiny computer is not showing up in the right corner of my toolbar, yet here I am, online. I clicked on Internet Explorer from the laptop desktop and here I am. Am I surfing on someone elses network? How do I know and will Norton protect me from them?

On your desktop when you installed the WRT54G router did you go to the router's administration screen and change any of the defaults? If you didn't make any changes then that might be the problem. The default name for your own wireless is "linksys" and lots of people don't change that. If a neighbour is also using "linksys" then your laptop might be trying to reach the wrong system. That name's called the SSID.

The easy way to check what you've got is to log in from your desktop browser. Go to http://192.168.1.1 and enter a blank username, password "admin". If you get a Linksys screen, there are hyperlink titles. One's "wireless" and it ought to show you

Now as far as your questions, yes we did. BUT, what we put in as a username ended up being the name of my network. Yesterday with tech support, we could not get in leaving the username blank and admin as the password. Nothing happened. At the time, I couldn't remember the password. I'M SO CONFUSED! I have done a hundred different things on a hundred different screens with all the support people and nothing works. Each support person starts out the same way and eventually gets to a screen I've never seen before.

Yesterday, he actually tried to blame it on my portable phone. When I told him I was on a cell phone you could actually hear the disapointment in his voice.

Spot, I'll be honest, I cannot remember what all I've done since December. I have a few notes but they don't make much sense because most didn't work.

Mae West

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

changinglanes;760364 wrote: I set up my own home network with 4 desk tops and 3 laptops via wireless router.

@ of the desktops required wireless cards very easy to install. When I set up my router I made sure to secure it with a password. If left unsecure any one near your home could get on your network not to mention those that lay in wait on internet servers with their thrifty scanning methods seeking open ports.

I suggest you READ READ READ and READ some more, all you can on each topic of computing and routers and mobile phones. Mobile phone are now used as an internet connection to computers via USB cable or Bluetooth devices. There are many websites that will scan your ports and tell you how tight your security is.

They are free and you can scan your pc for viruses and spyware online too.

I have 2 antivirus software installed on mine and I just bought one of them "Eset"

and it missed an intrusion. I went to an online site and did a live scan and it found 2 viruses. I common Zlob trojan and the other Microsoft never knew existed Win32.f.gen my entire regisrty had been changed and it happened because I clicked on cousin's digital signature key. All I do is read about computer & internet safety and do most of my own IT work on all our computers. I enjoy it actually, not the trojans, worms, viruses, or the hackers though. I love learning all I can to stay safe and up to date.

There is a very small reset button you can hold down for a moment that will reset your Linksys router to factory settings. Then type in the IP 192.168.1.1 in your web browser (do this offline) type in admin for username and admin for password and you can reconfigure your router and set a new password. You can also set it up to where everyone in your network has to log on with a password too. I even put a password on my Bios too.

You can keep a small note book to keep track of pw's and change them each month. Just remember where you hide your little note book.

I envy you your dedication and intelligence where computers are concerned. I can read until my eyes fall out but I don't understand all the tech talk. I learn by doing not by reading. And unless I read and do at the same time, I'll never get it. But I'm afraid to read and do and not understand and totally freak out my computer that I'll never get it back to normal again.

I don't think I have the stamina to reconfigure all this again without knowing what the problem is to start with that I may do the same thing again. I don't think my mental health can that it.

I appreciate your attention and your support. But, I cannot and will not start all over again!:-5:-5

Mae West

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

CARLA;760375 wrote: What company do you get your internet service through?? Cable(road runner, cox, DSL (through your Phone company). If through your Cable provider save yourself the grief and have them come and install your wireless network worth every dime you pay.

I had similar issues when I tried to use a Linksys wireless router at home. I finally gave up and went with my providers wireless gateway router haven't had a problem since.

Might be some setting with your firewall as well.

You might logon to your internet provider and look up how to set up a router through them. Good luck I know how your feel. :-5:-5

It's DSL. And thanks for the advise. If I can't get this worked out I may call them. I hadn't thought of that.

I'm beginning to think you're right about the firewall issue. That might be it.

Mae West
Chezzie

Linksys Router

Post by Chezzie »

I have a belkin wireless router set up to desktop through my wireless broad band live box which i dont have set up as wireless, hence why its set up through desktop and router but it then wirelessly connects the 3 laptops in the house.

I have have connection probs with the laptops, cant access the net even though it says im connected or just doesnt connect at all. I had macafee anti-virus installed and once I took that off it was fine, apparently the firewall was also a problem, sometimes this happens after an update has just occured.

Also you can try to Open your internet explorer then go to TOOLS then INTERNET OPTIONS then SECURITY and then uncheck the ENABLE PROTECTED MODE options then close and open your IE7 to see if that works, make sure you have cleared your browsing history and cache.

AVG antivirus and spyware is free to download and works great:-6

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

Oh, another little tidbit.

When I am reading the posts, in the upper left corner of my screen it says: Linksys Router-Page 2-Forum Garden-Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Linksys Router, indeed!

I'm not connected!!!:-5:-5

Mae West

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

Chezzie;760690 wrote: I have a belkin wireless router set up to desktop through my wireless broad band live box which i dont have set up as wireless, hence why its set up through desktop and router but it then wirelessly connects the 3 laptops in the house.

I have have connection probs with the laptops, cant access the net even though it says im connected or just doesnt connect at all. I had macafee anti-virus installed and once I took that off it was fine, apparently the firewall was also a problem, sometimes this happens after an update has just occured.

Also you can try to Open your internet explorer then go to TOOLS then INTERNET OPTIONS then SECURITY and then uncheck the ENABLE PROTECTED MODE options then close and open your IE7 to see if that works, make sure you have cleared your browsing history and cache.

AVG antivirus and spyware is free to download and works great:-6

Is there a step I missed somewhere? I don't see Enable Protected Mode. Checked or otherwise.

Thanks

Mae West

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

changinglanes;760390 wrote: I actually did not commit all of my time in setting up our home network. I found it to be simple because I read the cd with graphics displaying how to properly install it. I saved well over $150 doing it myself. A lot depends on what type of internet connection you have. 5 yrs. ago DSL didn't offer firewalls. I had to have a router.

2 yrs. (don't quote me on the 2yrs for I am guesstimating) ago most computers had wireless capabilities built in so it wasn't that difficult.

It still doesn't keep 100% free from hackers. If someone wants to hack your system bad enough trust me they can. No router with firewalls, antivirus or any other software will help. I just went through it.

My kids do a lot of research for homework online and haven't slept well since a death in the family so I read. I do feel getting a system with the new Windows Vista had a lot to do with my system getting hacked.

I work from home so security is an issue for our family.

I just started doing genealogy 3 mos. ago. I caught up with a some distant relatives and one of them had been at for 6 yrs. and traced my grandfather's side back to the 1700's. It takes a lot of time reading through materials and is especially difficult when you need the 1890 cenus that was destroyed. Perhaps I will get a chance to ask 911 some questions. I am at a brick wall right now.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would be glad to help in anyway I can. Just let me know. :-6

Mae West
Chezzie

Linksys Router

Post by Chezzie »

911;760694 wrote: Oh, another little tidbit.

When I am reading the posts, in the upper left corner of my screen it says: Linksys Router-Page 2-Forum Garden-Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Linksys Router, indeed!

I'm not connected!!!:-5:-5

mine does too 911, thats because its displaying this threads topic title,the forums name the page your on and the browser your using.

If you go to carollys foc'er thread it will begin with friends of carolly-page 666-forum garden- internet explorer...

Hope you understand that.:-6
Chezzie

Linksys Router

Post by Chezzie »

911;760696 wrote: Is there a step I missed somewhere? I don't see Enable Protected Mode. Checked or otherwise.

Thanks

ok im going to do a screen shot of mine for you. Im rubbish at trying to explain things, not saying this will work but its worth a shot.:-6

spot

Linksys Router

Post by spot »

911;760694 wrote: Oh, another little tidbit.

Linksys Router, indeed!

I'm not connected!!!:-5:-5That's the page title of the thread on ForumGarden which you typed yourself on the OP.

It is genuinely painful trying to use computers when you haven't a clue. That's not a criticism, it's sympathy.

Just so you have a simplified background, here are some rules. They're simple rules, all you need do is understand them one time and then they'll be part of what you know for ever after.

Rubbish

Studiously and firmly ignore everyone who says of any product "X is rubbish". No brand of anything is rubbish. It may be unuseable in some circumstances, it may be less flexible or less all-encompassing, it may be harder to configure, it may actually genuinely BE rubbish but that's so rare that it's an immaterial consideration. What'll waste your time far more is falling back on "this is rubbish" instead of getting it working.

For example: only once, ever, in my entire time on computers, I found a hardware instruction that didn't work the way the manual said it worked. I spent two weeks trying to make it work under the assumption that it was me or the layers of software between me and the instruction which was mistaken and only after two weeks did I give up and finally admit, correctly, that it was the hardware. I could have assumed it after two days but I refused to, so that's two weeks I wasted.

The up-side is that it's only two weeks in a lifetime, and if my underlying assumption of "it works" wasn't there I'd have wasted years circumventing assumed systems errors instead of questioning what I was doing myself - every other time it's been me, not the system. Assuming the system works is a huge time-saver in overall terms.

Firewalls

Never run more than one firewall on one computer. If you've paid for brand X then by all means use brand X but turn off all the others on the computer. These things aren't additive, they're alternative.

Your router has a firewall blocking INCOMING interference. A very few types of program will need the router firewall amending but that program will tell you in big letters if that's the case (they're mostly peer-to-peer fileshare or phone or video links that need permission granting by the router).

Windows XP and Vista also have a firewall blocking INCOMING interference. If you have a router then this is duplication - all it's protecting you from is your own laptop being attacked by your own desktop.

Firewalls like Zone Alarm and Norton block both INCOMING and OUTGOING interference and that's a great thing and an addition to the router protection. It's also why half the people saying "I can't get to the Internet" can't get to the Internet - they've blocked their own outgoing traffic with their Brand X firewall. Every program you install or upgrade and then run (call it Opera though it could be IE or anything), when it tries to make its first outgoing Internet access, brings up a firewall message saying "Opera wants permission!!" from the firewall. Saying "no" at that point blocks every other attempt Opera will ever make, until you actually run your firewall control page and check down the list of what's blocked and remove Opera from the blocked list. Once you empty the firewall control page block list you'll just get the "wants permission" queries again, and you can re-decide all over again and maybe get Opera right this time. Then Opera will work.

Virus protection

Never run more than one antivirus package on one computer. If you've paid for brand X then by all means use brand X but turn off all the others on the computer. These things aren't additive, they're alternative.

What an antivirus package does is it checks every read and write to your disk. If it sees a virus signature then it isolates the entire file that's being written or read. If it's a talkative antivirus package it'll brag about it with a pop-up message.

That means that malign attempts to steal your personal data will never be saved to your disk, whether they come from a website you visit or a spam email or a msn file transfer or wherever. It simply can't be stored so it can't be left to run in the background without you knowing. That's what a virus checker is for. You need one, you definitely don't need or want more than one. Whichever you use has to update its directory of viruses daily across the Internet to stay abreast of what wickedness to look for. Don't let your subscription expire if you're paying for a Brand X antivirus package.

Privacy

Nothing you ever type on your keyboard is private. Maybe nobody else is reading it, maybe someone is, you don't know. It's one of the prices you pay for having a keyboard in the first place instead of a typewriter. If anyone apart from you has ever sat at your keyboard then they might be reading what you type for ever after. If anyone ever gets hold of your computer physically when you're out then the same applies, with the addition that they've also been able to read what you've typed in the past as well. You can make it harder - I've made it harder on mine - but it's still true even if you have. You can fall back on trusting to your own insignificance if you want to, but that's your best case.

Getting your WRT54G and your laptop back under control

We can do this if you want to, it might take a couple of days back-and-forth here. You might prefer to get your broadband supplier to come in and do it for you, or you might prefer to do it step by step and understand what you do as you go. It involves resetting it to how it came out of the factory (that takes two minutes), changing a few control screen contents and then putting your laptop into a state of grace. I'm more than happy to talk you through that if you want to, you just need to ask. I'll tell you on each step why you're doing it and what the reason for it is, maybe you'll get the hang of what you paid for in the process.

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

Chezzie;760720 wrote: mine does too 911, thats because its displaying this threads topic title,the forums name the page your on and the browser your using.

If you go to carollys foc'er thread it will begin with friends of carolly-page 666-forum garden- internet explorer...

Hope you understand that.:-6

Sorry, my point was that it said Linksys Router and according to my computer, I am not connected to my router.

It's totally insane, you see? I swear the little men in white coats will be here soon. Is it happy hour yet?:yh_party

OOOOOHHHHHH! Sorry, I forgot, and I posted this before I read Spots post.

I have this router on my mind, that's all I can think about. OK, OK, I get it, that the name of the OP. Please excuse me.

Mae West
Chezzie

Linksys Router

Post by Chezzie »

911;760731 wrote: Sorry, my point was that it said Linksys Router and according to my computer, I am not connected to my router.

It's totally insane, you see? I swear the little men in white coats will be here soon. Is it happy hour yet?:yh_party

OOOOOHHHHHH! Sorry, I forgot, and I posted this before I read Spots post.

I have this router on my mind, that's all I can think about. OK, OK, I get it, that the name of the OP. Please excuse me.

Hi 911, in trying to explain to you that mine says that too because its the name of the topic of the thread
look
Chezzie

Linksys Router

Post by Chezzie »

Chezzie;760734 wrote: Hi 911, in trying to explain to you that mine says that too because its the name of the topic of the thread
look

ooops lol, I didnt read your last properly either and was so hell bent on trying to help I posted before I finished lol, soz hun and glad you understand it now...

1 hurdle down and the men in coats are kept at bay for the moment lol:wah:

Linksys Router

Post by 911 »

Spot, you are precious!

As for your post:

Rubbish:

Yes, I understand that. I know this is supposed to be a good system. I think it's a lot like Vista or earlier versions of any updated software put on the market. It was put out there without enough background work to check for all the bugs. It can be fixed to work with my equipment but probably not by me. At least, not me alone.

Firewalls:

Gotcha. So, you're saying that I should turn my laptop firewall off because between Norton and my router I have all the protection I need.

Virus Protection:

True. I believe that also. But I also believe there are products that do more than others to protect you. I also think Norton is the best and that's why I opted for it. It has worked fine for my desktop and I trust it for my laptop.

Privacy:

Believe me, I know that. I work with ten other people who all share the same computers every day and an Information System Center in control of the entire county's software and hardware. (I, myself, have seen things other workers have written to the supervisor.) They know everything we look at. This is why I rarely visit here when I'm at work. They absolutely forbid chat rooms but will let forums slide as long as it's mostly G-rated and you don't give out work secrets.

Getting your WRT54G and your laptop back under control:

I appreciate your patience with me and your offer of help. I may take you up on that. You still haven't answered my question about how I am here when I am not connected to my wireless router, according to my icons and wireless activity connection. How can I tell if I am on mine or someone elses? When I go to the section where it says 'available wireless connections', I see only mine.

So either it's working and the icons are wrong or something I've done in the past worked and I just never attempted to click on IE until last night. I probably should have atempted it before. As long as IE is working and I am able to do the things I want to, I'm fine. Unless, I am on someone elses wireless connection. I'm just not comfortable with that.

Thank you for all your help. I am going to be making a few more phone calls within the next couple of days and if I need you, it's good to know you're there. :-4

Mae West
CARLA

Linksys Router

Post by CARLA »

911 have you checked to make sure your "Window Firewall" is off while you set the router up. Go into your control panel and open the "Firewall" and turn the sucker off you don't need it on it will cause you misery in VISTA. Also turn it off on the Laptop as well.

To see available connection for your wireless look in your tool bar at the bottom there should be an ICON that you can click on and see whats going on, unless window is controlling it then you need to look at that ICONS setting.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Computers Internet”