Discussing the Right On list: Minorities.

spot

Post by spot »

An anonymous list in Thank God CBS didn't shut him up!:) beginning "Right on" carries a paragraph on minorities and assertsAnonymous wrote: I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers.It's cleverly worded in that "numbers" carries a double meaning. Either it's numbers as in statistics or it's numbers as in preponderance. Obviously a minority is the lower count where any preponderance exists and the statement, viewed that way, is self-fulfilling. The implication of "a victim of anything except statistics" is that statistics can legitimately, to the popular mind, be made to say anything at all (which I'd dispute, of course).

As far as preponderance goes, democratic government (representative or otherwise) is selected by the majority of a voting electorate. It's prevented from victimizing a minority by the establishment of rights. Once a right is legally established the democratic will of the majority is constrained and the minority is protected from being a victim of numbers. In areas where no right has been established the majority view is paramount and the will of the minority is overridden.

As far as the statistics sense is concerned, that's just a matter of accurate data and scientifically legitimate deduction. It might not be easy but it's testable.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

So ............... you agree?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers.

Accountable;751777 wrote: So ............... you agree?

To the implication that minorities are only a victim of numbers - emphatically no.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't meant their not out to get me.

Minorities are undoubtedly a victim of numbers but they are often also a victim of serious discrimination. The above quote seeks to deny that possibility.

Return to “Social Human Rights”