May The Dalai Lama Forgive Me...

Discuss Sikhism, Shinto, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Kabbalah, others.
koan

Post by koan »

...for my ignorance, but a question just arose regarding his person.

I was thinking about the Dalai Lama and how his profound thoughts might occur to him then thought "hey, what the hell is he doing with a 'him' anyway?"

If the Buddhists seek to destroy the ego and 'self' and the Dalai Lama is enlightened, then why does he keep coming back as himself? He identifies himself at a young age and is immediately rushed off to be trained and tutored so he doesn't have to wade through all the confusing crap from square one again... from what I understand. That sounds pretty fluffy. I can believe that he has identified himself adequately using various signs but... what happened to the egoless thing?
spot

Post by spot »

koan;720650 wrote: If the Buddhists seek to destroy the ego and 'self' and the Dalai Lama is enlightened, then why does he keep coming back as himself?It's a point he addresses in his FAQ at dalailama.com (from anyone else you'd think that was a joke, eh?):We believe that there are four types of rebirth.

One is the common type wherein, a being is helpless to determine his or her rebirth, but only reincarnates in dependence on the nature of past actions.

The opposite is that of an entirely enlightened Buddha, who simply manifests a physical form to help others. In this case, it is clear that the person is Buddha.

A third is one who, due to past spiritual attainment, can choose, or at least influence, the place and situation of rebirth.

The fourth is called a blessed manifestation. In this the person is blessed beyond his normal capacity to perform helpful functions, such as teaching religion. For this last type of birth, the person’s wishes in previous lives to help others must have been very strong. They obtain such empowerment.

Though some seem more likely than others, I cannot definitely say which I am.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Post by koan »

It makes sense that he wouldn't say which he is as it would sound egotistical :p
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

jimbo;720674 wrote: wow those llama's are much more cleverer than say camels or giraffes :thinking::thinking:

sorry that is bad :wah:
It's probably better than the musical: Hello Dalai Lama
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

would it be because other humans can relate to him that way. That it's more for them than for him perhaps? :thinking:
koan

Post by koan »

Theoretically, he doesn't need to be reborn but he has done as an act of sacrifice to help others.

Practically, if he has destroyed his ego there is not an ego or 'self' to be reborn... it's just a picky point of what it is meant asked by someone who doesn't completely understand what is meant by eliminating the ego completely. How complete is complete?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

koan;720650 wrote: ...for my ignorance, but a question just arose regarding his person.

I was thinking about the Dalai Lama and how his profound thoughts might occur to him then thought "hey, what the hell is he doing with a 'him' anyway?"

If the Buddhists seek to destroy the ego and 'self' and the Dalai Lama is enlightened, then why does he keep coming back as himself? He identifies himself at a young age and is immediately rushed off to be trained and tutored so he doesn't have to wade through all the confusing crap from square one again... from what I understand. That sounds pretty fluffy. I can believe that he has identified himself adequately using various signs but... what happened to the egoless thing?

Oh young butterfly, first of all his fleshy vessel is all the physical world offers as host material. Secondly why would the master deny his being as luminous and learned ? His container if you will is only a means in which to travel in an Earthly manner.

His radiant lucidity shines beyond the confines of mans feeble understanding of the heavens.

To deny his own entity would be to deny his own creation.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Ted

Post by Ted »

Nomad:-6

I do like that answer.

Shalom

Ted:-6
koan

Post by koan »

Put the thesaurus down, Nomad. :D
Ted

Post by Ted »

Koan:-6

I have never met the Dalai Lama but sure would love to. I have, however, met a wonderful man who has little to no ego, Father Thomas Keating. He can be googled.

Shalom

sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;721701 wrote: Oh young butterfly, first of all his fleshy vessel is all the physical world offers as host material. Secondly why would the master deny his being as luminous and learned ? His container if you will is only a means in which to travel in an Earthly manner.

His radiant lucidity shines beyond the confines of mans feeble understanding of the heavens.

To deny his own entity would be to deny his own creation.

I can't get past the 'fleshy vessel' part...................:yh_rotfl
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

sunny104;723346 wrote: I can't get past the 'fleshy vessel' part...................:yh_rotfl

Oh Lord - it must be a big one :wah:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot

Post by spot »

The one-L lama, he's a priest

The two-L llama, he's a beast

And I would bet a silk pyjama

There isn't any three-L lllama

Ogden Nash.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I am in the middle of reading a book by Karen Armstrong, "Buddha". She does address this issue of losing one's ego which is a part of the Buddhist faith.

Shalom

koan

Post by koan »

awesome. I love her books.

Have to add that to my wish list!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Koan:-6

I just ordered "The First Christmas: . . ." by Borg and Crossan. If it is anything like last Sunday's sermon on the Christmas story it should be excellent. Our guest priest was pointing out the metaphorical meanings of each part of the story. I'm looking forward to getting the book.

Karen has a good one out called "Bible a Biography". Excellent reading as well. Found it difficult to put down once I started.

Shalom

laneybug

Post by laneybug »

koan;720650 wrote: ...for my ignorance, but a question just arose regarding his person.

He's a bodhisattva. He comes back again and again, giving up personal ultimate enlightenment, to help others gain their own.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.

Return to “Eastern Religions”